Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 345553 times)

Dr-Feelgood and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Burnout420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -27
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #420 on: January 22, 2021, 06:18:08 PM »
The Nine Club has been a source of joy to me in these trying times. IDGAF. They have their inconsistencies, whatever, but I really appreciate that anyone decided to do what they are doing. Some of the interviews have been utterly fantastic. It's worth the effort.

So your definition of fantastic is mediocre?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #421 on: January 22, 2021, 07:05:36 PM »
Expand Quote
The Nine Club has been a source of joy to me in these trying times. IDGAF. They have their inconsistencies, whatever, but I really appreciate that anyone decided to do what they are doing. Some of the interviews have been utterly fantastic. It's worth the effort.
[close]

That made me laugh.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #422 on: January 22, 2021, 11:59:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nope.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #423 on: January 23, 2021, 03:15:15 AM »
On the recent Stop & Chat, Chris admits at one stage he didn't touch his board for a full year while doing the show, and goes on to say how he just wants to skate for fun, with out the pressure of filming a trick or skating a ledge. The guy has had what, 15 minutes of footage over the span of 25 years? He genuinely thinks he has had a full esteemed career.

When you put it like that.... Yikes
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Croquet temper

« Reply #424 on: January 23, 2021, 04:34:34 AM »
Crob is a crailtap political apointee. His boards symbolize the idea of him being an active pro skater at one point, which we are reminded of by his constant switch flip manny in the background.

He probably knew he had to transition into a new job, but I guess he found one.

breezer

• Rep: -17
« Reply #425 on: January 23, 2021, 04:46:47 AM »
classic moment when Eldy tells Steezus he will hug him after the show, and then later urges everyone to be safe.....I like these guys but they are as dumb as a sack of spanners........( or wrenches if you prefer )

side note - I think Kelly has a decent chance of making the jump to regular TV sports stuff......the camera likes him. 

50 Lions

• Rep: -57
« Reply #426 on: January 23, 2021, 05:08:08 AM »
So turns out Roj left because he was in a deep depression and was suicidal. I wish the best for the guy, Good to see he is doing better now. Roj, Kelly and jeron are the only dudes on the show I care to listen to
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 07:22:56 AM by 50 Lions »

nolliecrooked

• Rep: -23
« Reply #427 on: January 23, 2021, 07:03:48 AM »
9club can be good or bad depending on the guest, I watched reynolds, it has more than a hour but felt like 20min, cuz I love reynolds and can hear him the whole day, but I just dont watch when is someone I dont care, cuz then u start to feel like its very forced lol

so just ignore the "boring" ones and listen the eps u are hyped!

too much podcast ruins it, need to be only a certain amount from time to time in my opinion

Brguy

« Reply #428 on: January 23, 2021, 10:08:08 AM »
On the recent Stop & Chat, Chris admits at one stage he didn't touch his board for a full year while doing the show, and goes on to say how he just wants to skate for fun, with out the pressure of filming a trick or skating a ledge. The guy has had what, 15 minutes of footage over the span of 25 years? He genuinely thinks he has had a full esteemed career.
Living as a pro skater with 15 minutes of footage is a great career.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #429 on: January 23, 2021, 10:15:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wouldn't say he actually has 15 does he ?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #430 on: January 23, 2021, 10:34:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #431 on: January 23, 2021, 11:22:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Wow haha. On the button

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #432 on: January 23, 2021, 11:40:06 AM »
I crush podcasts all day at work so I listen a lot because they have the most/best content and access to the best pros but when you break it down, it isn’t really saying a lot.

Crob clearly thinks he’s the skate Joe Rogan or something. In the latest Kosick talk, he gets so horny talking about trying not to swear to reach a bigger audience, algorithms, covers and titles, etc. Get skaters to talk, and skaters will listen. Him wanting to make it so much more clearly shows his lack of priority to skateboarding. Plus idk if it’s a California thing but his condescending through the teeth convos drive me nuts

Rogers skate nerding brings a lot but clashes with Crob doing his Howard stern impression.

Dubs could do a show that would be everything the nine club should be, easy.

Kelly is awesome. Humble dude, what you see is what you get. Best dude.

Dropping the monetization driven model they’re going towards (and dropping Crob) would be the fix, but then why do the show? Probably why they’re the only show that’s reached their level.

JimGeko

• Rep: -38
« Reply #433 on: January 23, 2021, 12:50:30 PM »
I crush podcasts all day at work so I listen a lot because they have the most/best content and access to the best pros but when you break it down, it isn’t really saying a lot.

Crob clearly thinks he’s the skate Joe Rogan or something. In the latest Kosick talk, he gets so horny talking about trying not to swear to reach a bigger audience, algorithms, covers and titles, etc. Get skaters to talk, and skaters will listen. Him wanting to make it so much more clearly shows his lack of priority to skateboarding. Plus idk if it’s a California thing but his condescending through the teeth convos drive me nuts

Rogers skate nerding brings a lot but clashes with Crob doing his Howard stern impression.

Dropping the monetization driven model they’re going towards (and dropping Crob) would be the fix, but then why do the show? Probably why they’re the only show that’s reached their level.

And there it is. What I feel but couldn’t put into words.

He would rather go safe and mainstream to please the tech overlords at google to drive the most sales.
This does not serve the core skate crowd.
What do you say on a Slap signature?

I DON"T KNOW!

MASHED POTATO * APPLE SAUCE * BUTTERY... BISCUITS.

https://ephmedia.giphy.com/4e27e798-9a5d-4df3-87ba-b18f905e055a.gif

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #434 on: January 23, 2021, 02:45:58 PM »

Crob is under the impression that there is some non-skateboarder audience that they can tap into. Right now they're either at their peak or past their peak with their audience. Non-skateboarders don't give a shit about skateboarding personalities unless its Tony Hawk. I'm not gonna listen to a podcast about rugby because I don't care about rugby and the personalities in rugby. Skate podcasts are the same way. I hope they realize that, but if they don't and keep going down this path at least the Bunt is doing what the Nine Club used to do.

sk8ordontordie

• Rep: -16
  • I like to skate
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #435 on: January 23, 2021, 03:56:53 PM »
Why does crob go over the stop and chat episode on the experience that shit is “hella” corny. Can’t believe I just used that word.  :-\
Welcome to slap message board

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #436 on: January 23, 2021, 05:04:53 PM »

I get what you're saying but they're making a youtube channel, not a podcast. The youtube algorithm is a nightmare to navigate and the smallest things can significantly impact your bottom line (and consequently ability to continue with your project).

The dominant players in skateboarding on Youtube are shit like Braille and Revive that exist to churn out low effort clickbait garbage. If it takes making weird thumbnails/titles and not swearing to get 9 club interviews in front of kids instead of videos of a 40 something scientologist drilling trucks onto a toy lightsaber or whatever, I'm all for it.

Despite its flaws, the 9 club is one of the few popular channels on Youtube that seriously promotes skateboarding's history and culture. It's good to have all of that available on a platform full of kids who might otherwise never break out of the Revive/Instagram nightmare parallel skate universe. Not to mention how incredible it's going to be 10-20 years from now to have an extensive oral history of skate culture freely available online (side note: I really hope someone is archiving all of the Epicly Later'ds, I wouldn't be surprised if Vice just disappeared one day) .

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #437 on: January 23, 2021, 05:08:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I get what you're saying but they're making a youtube channel, not a podcast. The youtube algorithm is a nightmare to navigate and the smallest things can significantly impact your bottom line (and consequently ability to continue with your project).

The dominant players in skateboarding on Youtube are shit like Braille and Revive that exist to churn out low effort clickbait garbage. If it takes making weird thumbnails/titles and not swearing to get 9 club interviews in front of kids instead of videos of a 40 something scientologist drilling trucks onto a toy lightsaber or whatever, I'm all for it.

Despite its flaws, the 9 club is one of the few popular channels on Youtube that seriously promotes skateboarding's history and culture. It's good to have all of that available on a platform full of kids who might otherwise never break out of the Revive/Instagram nightmare parallel skate universe. Not to mention how incredible it's going to be 10-20 years from now to have an extensive oral history of skate culture freely available online (side note: I really hope someone is archiving all of the Epicly Later'ds, I wouldn't be surprised if Vice just disappeared one day) .

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1323
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #438 on: January 23, 2021, 09:33:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hate to break it to you but a lot of the episodes are already gone. Most of the eps up on YT are fan reposts. EL doesn't even have a Wikipedia page let alone an episode guide. Vice has never done much with this show after producing and putting the eps on the platform dujour. The state that the Guy episode is in is pretty fucking tragic.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #439 on: January 24, 2021, 02:17:52 AM »
all the best epicly laterds were done before vice bought it from patrick. he used to just do them and put them on his blog.

when vice started VBS.tv they bought EL and fucked it up by consolidating whatever they could and just straight up removing episodes. i think the pops episode was the last one he did before VBS, and it was 10 parts. now i think its like one video just over 10 minutes so it could be monetized.

then the weird for-TV version of EL's were made and those are terrible. Vice did air the cardiel one once in its entirety at like 3:15am on a sunday tho once that was sick.

most of them are fucked up, missing huge portions, or just straight up gone.

vice has literally never done one good thing.

free max b
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:12:58 PM by Pete »
FREE MAX B

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #440 on: January 24, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
all the best epicly laterds were dine before vice bought it from patrick. he used to just do them and put them on his blog.

when vice started VBS.tv they bought EL and fucked it up by consolidating whatever they could and just straight up removing episodes. i think the pops episode was the last one he did before VBS, and it was 10 parts. now i think its like one video just over 10 minutes so it could be monetized.

free max b

they gave rick mccrank a good show so that's 1 good thing

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Free Max B
« Reply #441 on: January 24, 2021, 12:09:53 PM »
yeah i mean IF they payed him, cool. Action Bronson was 95% of the network at one point and he wasnt getting paid. even if they did pay rick it was likely a fraction of what hes owed. Vice cannot continue without tons of interns doing work for free bc theyve been convinced it will "get them exposure." and idk if you ever watched it, but that show fucking sucked. tons of potential but vice managed to fuck it up, the one episode with the kids who think they are ghost hunters was like watching someone larping out a southpark scene making fun of ghosthunter shows. even mccrank was making jokes about them being weirdo spacecase foodcourt kooks, and that dudes the most PMA out.

dont remember where i read it, but basically mccranks take on the whole thing was that vice pitched it like a "traveling around the states to skate" but what it turned into was meeting up with kids who really miss specific foodcourts, and theye not joking.

Also: how is it possible to have literal days worth of footage of gerwer in a car making jokes telling stories with rick, and make it not good.  howd they even do that? show sucks vice sucks mccrank and gerwer rule

free max b
FREE MAX B

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #442 on: January 24, 2021, 01:49:12 PM »
Expand Quote
all the best epicly laterds were dine before vice bought it from patrick. he used to just do them and put them on his blog.

free max b
[close]

Also Dark Side of the Ring

I liked the long form KOTR too, it was entertaining minus the shit eating and pissing in each others asses
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #443 on: January 24, 2021, 03:42:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

free max b
[close]

[close]

Also Dark Side of the Ring

I liked the long form KOTR too, it was entertaining minus the shit eating and pissing in each others asses

It was kind of hilarious how they would break up the shitting action with discussions about what the old pros are going to do once their skate careers are over.

Burnout420

• Rep: -27
« Reply #444 on: January 24, 2021, 04:00:18 PM »
The 9 club has great guests but what’s the fucking point when Chris Roberts is about as bland as a potato. The bunt boys have there interviews down to a T. It’s like they’re having as much fun As the guests and it makes for great entertainment.

assplay jay

• Rep: -10
« Reply #445 on: January 24, 2021, 04:47:55 PM »
that was some swell footage. i didnt realize crob was that good or prolific.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #446 on: January 30, 2021, 03:26:02 AM »
this past experience episode was the first time i have ever been like 'good lord...this is bad' while watching. it basically showed that they don't know how to talk about, or 'big up' edits unless they are from big names/popular skaters. they basically just fumbled through mispronouncing everyone's name, having nonsensical conversations over every edit and then would come back and be like 'wow what a ripper.........yeah'

Croquet temper

« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2021, 04:56:21 AM »
Sometimes, in the middle of reviewing a part, they’ll make a comparison to someone during the crailtap heyday for the 1000th time and they’ll be talking to Chris Joslin about Baby Shark for 10 minutes.

But sometimes they interview people like Dollin or Herman and it’s totally awesome. I just pick out the stuff I want to hear about.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Free Max B
« Reply #448 on: January 30, 2021, 05:57:52 AM »
youd think steezus would have the mental capacity to be like "hey guys so im almost 33 years old, think i can just start going by Dwayne?" but nah, still Steezus Christ.

free max b
FREE MAX B

PhantomBased

• Rep: -13
« Reply #449 on: May 13, 2021, 06:32:48 AM »
i literally only watch it to hear kelly's laugh and i know it's sad but i'm actually not exaggerating

Kelly’s dumb person laugh? Lol okay