Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 340846 times)

swellbowed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1260 on: March 21, 2023, 06:05:18 PM »
GEF is basically the Forrest Gump of the skateboarding, rap and punk world of the 70's and 80's. The dude seemed to be everywhere all at once. Some of his opinions (especially of himself) are a bit over the top, but I also think that's part of his schtick. Take that part or leave it, but there's no denying his iconic photography. Anyone commenting "who" should do themselves a favor and look it up.
True. Like him or not, he definitely is responsible for some of the most iconic album covers. He may have more in his portfolio than anyone else.
Here are just a few:

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
« Reply #1261 on: March 21, 2023, 06:11:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can you give a timestamp of when he starts talking about Supreme and Gonz?
[close]

at about 1:09:00
[close]

56 mins on the video
[close]
Damn that was a crazy, had to type it out.
"Because a lot of people don't fucking give a fuck. You see people these other photographers, some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built. But I was one of the people that helped build some of this shit and you got this fucking shit ass brand that fucking boutiquified skateboarding. What you do? You fucking fold shirts you assholes. Fuck you. It's for real. And you know, people go out and buy this fucking brand when they steal all their credibility from our activity. Or even worse from celebrities. They put celebrities in their shirts and shit like that. I don't like to mention this scumbag brand by name. But you know..people work for them..you fuckin' ride for them..you're a fucking chump. You're a sucker, you don't know nothing about integrity. You don't know anything about keeping it real. I understand you have to make a living. But you have to find another way, because you're supporting the fucking devil. You're supporting some shit. People are stealing from our culture. Ohhh you're gonna build a ramp or fucking little shit. That's fucking penny's compared to what they get off those kids waiting in line like fucking suckers. Buying stupid shit. so they can fucking re-sell or whatever. They're creating little baby capitalist. It's all about money and you're fucking falling into that trap. That shit ass trap of fucking commodifying a culture that's so amazing so great and you're a fucking sucker. Sorry guys... "
[close]

LMAO
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #1262 on: March 22, 2023, 07:45:54 AM »
Forgot to mention that GEF couldn't remember Ethan Fowler's name. He said this was one of the few 90s shots he took. It is actually a pretty great photo that has always stuck in my mind. Shame Ethan turned out to be an apparent racist...

[/quote]

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #1263 on: March 22, 2023, 08:05:38 AM »
Some old men love some stupid old men opinions. Glen has taken a few good pics but he’s wrong about pretty much everything.

I’m not going to watch this one because Glen will say they same dumb shit and Roberts will have done zero prep work and ask a bunch of meaningless questions.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #1264 on: March 22, 2023, 08:18:27 AM »
hope they get Duane Peters on this motherfucka next

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #1265 on: March 22, 2023, 08:29:00 AM »
i'm old, so GEF's photography has had an indelible impact on me, and i'm grateful for it, but as Mike Watt says towards the end of We Jam Econo...

"everybody can't be born at the same time...some people are born before, some people are born during, and some people are born after. a lot of that is just circumstance. so what's really...the question is, what is to be done where you're at, and how you gonna do it?"

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 764
« Reply #1266 on: March 22, 2023, 08:41:14 AM »
i'm old, so GEF's photography has had an indelible impact on me, and i'm grateful for it, but as Mike Watt says towards the end of We Jam Econo...

"everybody can't be born at the same time...some people are born before, some people are born during, and some people are born after. a lot of that is just circumstance. so what's really...the question is, what is to be done where you're at, and how you gonna do it?"

Mike Watt is cool AF. Thanks for that quote.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1267 on: March 22, 2023, 08:58:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Mike Watt is cool AF. Thanks for that quote.

Mike Watt nearly obliterated my left ear drum when I saw him with Dinosaur Jr. In a very small club. I was right next to the bass amp and it was so loud it was painful. But I still liked it. Mike Watt is indeed awesome.

Also anytime I hear his name I think of this:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:11:20 AM by KGB »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

JohnOakley

• Rep: -6
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1268 on: March 22, 2023, 09:25:29 AM »
he kept alluding to supreme stealing from him, anyone know the story behind that?

Supposedly the Bad Brains collab - he shot the photos way back and the label gave Supreme permission to use them, apparently he'd already been paid by the label. He sued Supreme anyway i think.
"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll have a look"

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #1269 on: March 22, 2023, 09:26:13 AM »
kinda subtle but i believe it's around the time when he starts talking about shooting with Steve and Alex Olson. he mentions he wanted to shoot a photo on Kodachrome with both of them and when they showed up and started skating Glen noticed AO had a "sticker" on his board and he refused to shoot them unless alex took the sticker off

The photo is from a 2011 issue of Skateboard Mag
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #1270 on: March 22, 2023, 09:36:13 AM »
Expand Quote
he kept alluding to supreme stealing from him, anyone know the story behind that?
[close]

Supposedly the Bad Brains collab - he shot the photos way back and the label gave Supreme permission to use them, apparently he'd already been paid by the label. He sued Supreme anyway i think.

Friedman reminds me of all my art teachers in community college.  But to me when he kept saying stealing...Im pretty sure he's claiming the street art scene in general that Supreme uses as their brand.

I keep forgetting whether or not Barbra Kruger had issue with Supreme using her typography art style, but I found an interesting quote from her

Over the years, I would run into Glen E. Friedman at book signings, film premieres, and photo shows around the city – and I learned more and more about his legendary status across skateboarding, punk and hip-hop.
https://juicemagazine.com/home/barbara-kruger-interview-and-public-art-action-at-les-skatepark-in-nyc/

IMO Friedman is saying don't wear that shit at my shows or when you come over to my house makes sense,  and how they take and "they owe"

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1271 on: March 22, 2023, 10:17:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
kinda subtle but i believe it's around the time when he starts talking about shooting with Steve and Alex Olson. he mentions he wanted to shoot a photo on Kodachrome with both of them and when they showed up and started skating Glen noticed AO had a "sticker" on his board and he refused to shoot them unless alex took the sticker off

It is admittedly a fucking awesome photo. the man can shoot, that's for sure
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1272 on: March 22, 2023, 10:27:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Admittedly?! Dude has shot an incredible amount of amazing iconic photos.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 8
« Reply #1273 on: March 22, 2023, 10:33:17 AM »
I agree wholeheartedly that 'preme and Nike are stupid horse shit for marks

JohnOakley

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1274 on: March 22, 2023, 10:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Friedman reminds me of all my art teachers in community college.  But to me when he kept saying stealing...Im pretty sure he's claiming the street art scene in general that Supreme uses as their brand.

I keep forgetting whether or not Barbra Kruger had issue with Supreme using her typography art style, but I found an interesting quote from her

Expand Quote
Over the years, I would run into Glen E. Friedman at book signings, film premieres, and photo shows around the city – and I learned more and more about his legendary status across skateboarding, punk and hip-hop.
[close]
https://juicemagazine.com/home/barbara-kruger-interview-and-public-art-action-at-les-skatepark-in-nyc/

IMO Friedman is saying don't wear that shit at my shows or when you come over to my house makes sense,  and how they take and "they owe"

The quote from Kruger is amazing - you know how she found out he was a "legend in skateboarding" etc? He told her!
"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll have a look"

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1275 on: March 22, 2023, 12:29:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

56 mins on the video
[close]
"Because a lot of people don't fucking give a fuck. You see people these other photographers, some people you mentioned tonight, people work for the corporations and shit. That fucking suck. These people fucking commodify skateboarding, they destroy what we built. But I was one of the people that helped build some of this shit and you got this fucking shit ass brand that fucking boutiquified skateboarding. What you do? You fucking fold shirts you assholes. Fuck you. It's for real. And you know, people go out and buy this fucking brand when they steal all their credibility from our activity. Or even worse from celebrities. They put celebrities in their shirts and shit like that. I don't like to mention this scumbag brand by name. But you know..people work for them..you fuckin' ride for them..you're a fucking chump. You're a sucker, you don't know nothing about integrity. You don't know anything about keeping it real. I understand you have to make a living. But you have to find another way, because you're supporting the fucking devil. You're supporting some shit. People are stealing from our culture. Ohhh you're gonna build a ramp or fucking little shit. That's fucking penny's compared to what they get off those kids waiting in line like fucking suckers. Buying stupid shit. so they can fucking re-sell or whatever. They're creating little baby capitalist. It's all about money and you're fucking falling into that trap. That shit ass trap of fucking commodifying a culture that's so amazing so great and you're a fucking sucker. Sorry guys... "

This podcast is great evidence of how swearing too much can make you seem less cool than you intend. There's so many fucks just in this quote that it loses its power, and it just becomes a filler word that no longer has any meaning to the listener.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #1276 on: March 22, 2023, 12:43:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is like, honestly not that special of a photo. I dunno. It's too sterile, imo.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #1277 on: March 23, 2023, 04:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

56 mins on the video
[close]
[close]

This podcast is great evidence of how swearing too much can make you seem less cool than you intend. There's so many fucks just in this quote that it loses its power, and it just becomes a filler word that no longer has any meaning to the listener.

It’s fucking New York punctuation ya fuck. Ya fucking hear me? For fucks sake get off your fuckin high horse.

Seriously, it’s New York. And most of Canada.

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #1278 on: March 23, 2023, 04:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

56 mins on the video
[close]
[close]

It’s New York punctuation.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
  • ow
« Reply #1279 on: March 23, 2023, 04:24:11 PM »

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
« Reply #1280 on: March 23, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »
shots fired

the textbook definition of sellout vs. the anti-sellout punk ethos dude: who will win

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1281 on: March 23, 2023, 04:56:40 PM »

Atiba's response comes across a bit defensive to me. I get where he is coming from, but I feel like he would have been better served by just ignoring it instead of drawing more attention to it.

TheDingus

« Reply #1282 on: March 23, 2023, 05:48:13 PM »
Atiba getting bent out of shape by some old guy that hasn’t shot a skate photo in over 10 years is amazing. What a little bitch. Wah wah wah

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1201
« Reply #1283 on: March 23, 2023, 06:02:33 PM »
Idk if I were atiba I wouldn’t have added the frrrr days shit to the caption. It was sweet then it was like oh my god shut the fuck up t shirt folder.

Anyway, the tk thread just disappeared

steele

• Rep: 31
« Reply #1284 on: March 23, 2023, 06:10:21 PM »
Abita trying to make it like he was attacking people with t-shirt folding jobs is embarrassingly defensive.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #1285 on: March 23, 2023, 06:13:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This is like, honestly not that special of a photo. I dunno. It's too sterile, imo.

I think I get what you mean but IMO it's technically a very good photo. Alex is framed perfectly, background isn't noisy, his hands make great leading lines that move your eyes across the frame, and the colors are very natural (something that is kinda lost in digital). It isn't anywhere near what, let's say, Matt Price normally shoots, but different strokes for different folks.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1061
« Reply #1286 on: March 23, 2023, 06:18:30 PM »
I stand AGAINST folding!

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #1287 on: March 23, 2023, 06:28:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think I get what you mean but IMO it's technically a very good photo. Alex is framed perfectly, background isn't noisy, his hands make great leading lines that move your eyes across the frame, and the colors are very natural (something that is kinda lost in digital). It isn't anywhere near what, let's say, Matt Price normally shoots, but different strokes for different folks.

I just think it captures AO's style perfectly.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #1288 on: March 23, 2023, 06:38:04 PM »

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #1289 on: March 23, 2023, 06:49:54 PM »
I went to BC in that shit colorado springs mall and one in Lonetree, there was definitely t-shirt folding going on except for hangers for snow jackets