Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 340710 times)

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #1410 on: May 11, 2023, 11:24:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Just watched the sewa episode. Pretty interesting to hear him actually talk. He is human and he does have feelings. Who knew? I have to say the past 3-4 episodes have been great.
[close]
I've been listening to this ep on the commute to work. I never paid much attention to him in the past, but he seems highly grateful and like a genuinely nice person.
Lol chris actually asked how sewa’s parents escaped from the soviet union. Like jesus christ how can you possibly expect sewa to answer that question

gumsole

• Rep: 21
« Reply #1411 on: May 11, 2023, 11:31:12 AM »
Just finished the Sewa episode and can't get over how many times Chris interrupted and spoke over him.

Let the guest guide the story...

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1412 on: May 11, 2023, 12:44:52 PM »
Just finished the Sewa episode and can't get over how many times Chris interrupted and spoke over him.

I think in this case Sewa would have just kept going and going and going. You saw how long it took to get him to say why he left blind. I like Sewa and he’s good as shit even if most of Slap hates him. I think maybe it’s a different story for someone like him to rely on winning those es and berricks contests to be able to stay in the states. I think he deserves more respect.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 397
« Reply #1413 on: May 11, 2023, 12:52:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Just watched the sewa episode. Pretty interesting to hear him actually talk. He is human and he does have feelings. Who knew? I have to say the past 3-4 episodes have been great.
[close]

I've been listening to this ep on the commute to work. I never paid much attention to him in the past, but he seems highly grateful and like a genuinely nice person.

True. Great skater but he always seemed a bit robotic and interchangeable to me?

But yeah, the fact he shouted out/remembered everyone that helped him was pretty damn cool.

He deserved more from all this.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
« Reply #1414 on: May 11, 2023, 12:56:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

True. Great skater but he always seemed a bit robotic and interchangeable to me?

But yeah, the fact he shouted out/remembered everyone that helped him was pretty damn cool.

He said he got a few offers after he left blind and still has over the years . Wonder what the story is behind him not taking them. Also funny as hell Roger calling out cariuma as the worst shoe company .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 469
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1415 on: May 11, 2023, 12:58:27 PM »

This.

I actually enjoy it when the guest provides in-depth details on the stories, helps paint a better picture overall.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1416 on: May 11, 2023, 01:22:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

He said he got a few offers after he left blind and still has over the years . Wonder what the story is behind him not taking them. Also funny as hell Roger calling out cariuma as the worst shoe company .

Pretty rich considering they have had several pairs of Cariumas in the background of episodes for a few years straight. Wonder what made him have a change of heart.

overwaxed

• Rep: 90
« Reply #1417 on: May 11, 2023, 01:33:33 PM »
They get a lot of hate, but like honestly they're no more self involved/interruption prone/blah blah than any other podcast. Ever listen to Marc Maron? He's so far up his own butt he can see his tonsils, but I've been an avid listener for a decade and it's helped me learn a lot about my own personality defects and he's super self aware. I think they work well together - Chris is dry and self deprecating but keeps the wheels turning, Jeron is hella chill and keeps it real but isn't afraid to drop a hot take, Kelly is a goofball and knows it but is painfully sincere and you can't help but love it, and Roger basically seems like the coolest guy every and I'd hang out with him every day. I started skating again last year after an on and off hiatus of about 15 years and this show really helped me get stoked again, catch up on my old favs, and learn about the new pros that are killing it. Do I stan Andy Anderson? No, but I don't hate him for being a nerd. Do I skate Dragons? No, too soft and I only skate odd numbered wheels. People don't get into making podcasts because they're selfless and don't like the sound of their own voices, just sayin'! Like most podcasts they're pretty dependent on the guest - Sewa isn't super interviewable, I still don't really know how he ended up on blind - but I watched him skate and now I don't care, his skating is about as robotic and uninteresting as personality - listen to the Jason Lee/Dune episode and you'll see the difference, they were way more suited to being guests on a podcast. Life is a lot better when you appreciate things for what they are instead of complaining about what you wish they were.

DakotaRed

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1418 on: May 11, 2023, 01:54:40 PM »
They get a lot of hate, but like honestly they're no more self involved/interruption prone/blah blah than any other podcast. Ever listen to Marc Maron? He's so far up his own butt he can see his tonsils, but I've been an avid listener for a decade and it's helped me learn a lot about my own personality defects and he's super self aware. I think they work well together - Chris is dry and self deprecating but keeps the wheels turning, Jeron is hella chill and keeps it real but isn't afraid to drop a hot take, Kelly is a goofball and knows it but is painfully sincere and you can't help but love it, and Roger basically seems like the coolest guy every and I'd hang out with him every day. I started skating again last year after an on and off hiatus of about 15 years and this show really helped me get stoked again, catch up on my old favs, and learn about the new pros that are killing it. Do I stan Andy Anderson? No, but I don't hate him for being a nerd. Do I skate Dragons? No, too soft and I only skate odd numbered wheels. People don't get into making podcasts because they're selfless and don't like the sound of their own voices, just sayin'! Like most podcasts they're pretty dependent on the guest - Sewa isn't super interviewable, I still don't really know how he ended up on blind - but I watched him skate and now I don't care, his skating is about as robotic and uninteresting as personality - listen to the Jason Lee/Dune episode and you'll see the difference, they were way more suited to being guests on a podcast. Life is a lot better when you appreciate things for what they are instead of complaining about what you wish they were.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1290
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1419 on: May 11, 2023, 02:00:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Slap isn't the place we go to express ourselves when life is good.

overwaxed

• Rep: 90
« Reply #1420 on: May 11, 2023, 02:03:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Slap isn't the place we go to express ourselves when life is good.

My wife beat all the bitterness out of me and made me joyful - I find joy in this message board somehow or another!

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1421 on: May 11, 2023, 04:42:44 PM »
Life is a lot better when you appreciate things for what they are instead of complaining about what you wish they were.

Get your level-headed takes the fuck out of here bro  >:(

Mallie

• Rep: 36
« Reply #1422 on: May 15, 2023, 03:18:55 PM »
Pretty rich considering they have had several pairs of Cariumas in the background of episodes for a few years straight. Wonder what made him have a change of heart.

They probably bailed on giving him a Stella Artois colorway in mould of that glass-half-full-of-piss Provost coloway.
Chi vive in baracca, chi suda il salario,
Chi ruba pensioni, chi ha scarsa memoria,
Chi ha crisi interiori, chi scava nei cuori,
Chi legge la mano, chi regna sovrano,
Chi suda, chi lotta, chi mangia una volta,
Chi gli manca la casa, chi vive da solo,
Chi trova scontato, chi come ha trovato...

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #1423 on: May 15, 2023, 05:11:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They probably bailed on giving him a Stella Artois colorway in mould of that glass-half-full-of-piss Provost coloway.

They actively sponsor the podcast still too

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 99
« Reply #1424 on: May 17, 2023, 10:08:20 AM »
Chris is back on Twitch again.

johnficenec

• Rep: -21
« Reply #1425 on: May 17, 2023, 10:59:53 AM »
gnarred

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #1426 on: May 19, 2023, 04:10:24 PM »
There's this old brain study from the 1950's that Huberman references a bunch. I'm paraphrasing but basically they put probes in the volunteer's brain if they touched one it would make them feel happy another would make them feel fear another would make them feel orgasmic, but the one that everyone wanted to feel was anger that was the one they always wanted stay on anger.

So for most of the people here it's time to get your favorite feeling back. THE NINE CLUB LIVE IS BACK BABY!!!

Next Thursday at 5pm PST they're live on YouTube and Twitch for everyone. Chris, Kelly and Jeron talking skatebloards

lurkluke

• Rep: 171
« Reply #1427 on: May 19, 2023, 05:58:33 PM »
There's this old brain study from the 1950's that Huberman references a bunch. I'm paraphrasing but basically they put probes in the volunteer's brain if they touched one it would make them feel happy another would make them feel fear another would make them feel orgasmic, but the one that everyone wanted to feel was anger that was the one they always wanted stay on anger.

So for most of the people here it's time to get your favorite feeling back. THE NINE CLUB LIVE IS BACK BABY!!!

Next Thursday at 5pm PST they're live on YouTube and Twitch for everyone. Chris, Kelly and Jeron talking skatebloards

haha so they cancelled it just to fire the other two, then bought it back immediately.

Savage

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #1428 on: May 19, 2023, 10:12:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

haha so they cancelled it just to fire the other two, then bought it back immediately.

Savage

Kelly took that page right from the es playbook

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #1429 on: May 20, 2023, 01:01:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Savage
[close]

He kicked off Justin twice aha
check my music

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #1430 on: May 20, 2023, 07:22:54 AM »
I don't know where the thread went but Eldrich pics is impossible to finish

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #1431 on: May 20, 2023, 07:32:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Savage
[close]

Gotta think Crob and Roger were the masterminds here, but totally agree it was a savage move. 

Gloom Management has been awfully quiet about what’s next for our favorite Christ figure.

c-dock

• Rep: 10
  • Lurker
« Reply #1432 on: May 20, 2023, 08:01:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Savage

Good move to be honest. Never necessarily disliked Eldridge but also felt like he didn't add much to the show. Always gave me the impression that he didn't care much about skating anymore and just went on the show for the sake of it. As for Steezus I don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -484
« Reply #1433 on: May 20, 2023, 10:27:56 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Savage

Who knows the behind the scenes but it definitely feels like they just wanted to get back to the pre 2020 format. The last few weeks of the regular show have been really good guest wise. I’m enjoying the duos format . Plus it works better with the way they talk over guests with the duos , it’s still annoying but now the guests talking over each other too and it just feels like 5 guys having some beers and sharing stories with the next generation, reminds of me my friends pool sessions where you have all the old heads talking.

It’s funny cause the last time I went hosoi was there and it’s so weird to hear stories of this larger than life figure Jason and daewon talk about but the guy I met was just this chill old dude doing frontside carves at 10 in the morning in my buddy’s backyard.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

manuduncan

• Rep: 24
« Reply #1434 on: May 22, 2023, 02:43:09 PM »
the 2 person interview format is pretty good, you can kinda tell they're happy not to have the albatross of producing the live experience show anymore

mason silva & ryan lee was entertaining and easy to listen to, glad to see ryan lee get some more shine!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #1435 on: May 23, 2023, 07:58:50 AM »
caught Crob live on the twitch watching parts and asking viewers for help researching upcoming guests. Ended up linking him a few things he seemed to respond positively to. I honestly thought that was a pretty neat way to go about that.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #1436 on: May 23, 2023, 08:12:39 AM »
They need to pre record the ad reads. Stopping the episode mid conversation is off putting and even more so is Chris kissing the Athletic greens box. I know they're a sponsor but the approach is not organic and it feels very disingenuous.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #1437 on: May 23, 2023, 08:50:57 AM »
They need to pre record the ad reads. Stopping the episode mid conversation is off putting and even more so is Chris kissing the Athletic greens box. I know they're a sponsor but the approach is not organic and it feels very disingenuous.

I agree but this is what most of these podcasts are doing now. They have found a way to spam you even if you pay money to have spamless YouTube like I do. It’s very annoying and I just fast forward through it anyway. If they back it so hard they should send every subscriber a one month supply to see what the hypes about.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #1438 on: May 23, 2023, 09:09:14 AM »

I watched the Ryan and Mason episode this morning and confirmed that the Athletic Greens commercial is pre-recorded. Crob is wearing a light grey hoodie in the episode and @ 15:28 it switches to the commercial and he's wearing an olive green hoodie.

Loved the episode though. They're both so pleasant and come across as genuinely good people.

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1439 on: May 23, 2023, 09:32:00 AM »
Loved the episode though. They're both so pleasant and come across as genuinely good people.

That part with Ryan Lee talking about filming the Apple commercial and Kenny Anderson saying he was considered had me legitimatlely laughing out loud