Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 361983 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1626
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2670 on: March 10, 2024, 04:59:22 PM »
Steve Van Doren is one righteous dude
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

thehogsniper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #2671 on: March 10, 2024, 05:19:28 PM »
SVD is pretty interesting in the interview, one of those guys who has a pretty known persona of being a nice guy but actually has some really intelligent insight into the industry. I could tell that they hadn't read his dad's book, which kind of ticked me off because it's a super easy read and pretty interesting. The whole pigeon story was covered in the book, so it comes across as lazy journalism. It would have been nice for them to avoid redundancies when the ground has already been covered. It's really a shame that Vans has lost their vision and deemed it necessary to jump into too many footwear sectors, but SVD is pretty good at maintaining his positive outlook, despite nowadays being little more than a spokesperson. I believe this is the longest interview he's ever done, but it would have been cool if the guys actually tried to get to know him a little more. I don't need to hear about the Rowley statue. It's cool it happened but they really have gotta let viewers get in on asking questions.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • sup dog
« Reply #2672 on: March 10, 2024, 06:31:20 PM »
There was this really awesome website in 1998/1999 that had a lot of videos of Wisconsin (Milwaukee?) skaters.  It was when there really wasn’t much online videos to watch, but this site had a LOT of video to watch.

A lot of it was your homey camcorder type stuff, but Mr. Lugska himself as a young buck was at the very tippy top of talent.

I remember thinking that this dude is fucking GOOOD: I wonder if he’ll be pro.

Sure enough, like the next year or something he was blowing up.

The smoothest thing I think he was doing was 270 boards. Maybe even a flip in there.

I don’t know… he just always had talent and really smooth style that stood out.

If anyone can remember the website…

Wait, a minute… was it… WISKATE.com? Does that ring a bell to anyone?

*edit: :o it is WIskate. Holy shit. And the site still exists.

https://www.wiskate.com/video-archives/

« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 06:38:26 PM by JM »
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2673 on: March 10, 2024, 06:36:11 PM »
There was this really awesome website in 1998/1999 that had a lot of videos of Wisconsin (Milwaukee?) skaters.  It was when there really wasn’t much online videos to watch, but this site had a LOT of video to watch.

A lot of it was your homey camcorder type stuff, but Mr. Lugka himself as a young buck was at the very tippy top of talent.

The smoothest thing I think he was doing was 270 boards. Maybe even a flip in there.

I only know of that website from the Mostly Skateboarding podcast. Pretty interesting to learn about

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mostly-skateboarding/id690015876?i=1000638832065

nothing's been the since same

ElonMuskaBeats

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2674 on: March 10, 2024, 06:48:47 PM »
Lutzka was so naturally gifted on a skateboard. Too bad he moved to the oc at the worst time possible for skateboarding. Very douchey. Had he moved to SF when he was on krooked his skate career might have been very different. He seems to be doing very well for himself despite all the weird sponsors and stuff.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2675 on: March 10, 2024, 06:52:36 PM »
Expand Quote

A lot of it was your homey camcorder type stuff, but Mr. Lugka himself as a young buck was at the very tippy top of talent.

[close]
I only know of that website from the Mostly Skateboarding podcast. Pretty interesting to learn about

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/mostly-skateboarding/id690015876?i=1000638832065
Doooooownloaded with the quickness. Thank you

powerhazard

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2676 on: March 11, 2024, 10:36:03 AM »
Had to turn off the Lutzka interview after an hour. He was a great guest but Chris just wouldn't let him speak. Greg constantly saying hang on to even finish a thought or tell him that they skipped over a lot of stuff.

Oh yeahhhhhhh!

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2677 on: March 11, 2024, 11:11:57 AM »
Had to turn off the Lutzka interview after an hour. He was a great guest but Chris just wouldn't let him speak. Greg constantly saying hang on to even finish a thought or tell him that they skipped over a lot of stuff.
Same. Crob was creaming himself over all the money talk and couldn’t contain himself.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2678 on: March 11, 2024, 01:56:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I must thank you immensely again: the outro song was by a group I embarrassingly missed back in the day completely.

Damn this is good.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 405
« Reply #2679 on: March 11, 2024, 03:53:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same. Crob was creaming himself over all the money talk and couldn’t contain himself.

He definitely got a massive erection from the money talk.
But it got better again right after the k-swiss thing.

Lutzka is a weird case. Good skater but I always thought he was hella lame because of his sponsors and horrendous taste in outfits.

But I'm impressed with how smart he was with marketing himself and his investments. Dude made bank.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 49
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #2680 on: March 11, 2024, 04:00:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Lutzka is a weird case. Good skater but I always thought he was hella lame because of his sponsors and horrendous taste in outfits.

But I'm impressed with how smart he was with marketing himself and his investments. Dude made bank.

Crazy we’re talking about the same guy who turned down a spot on Toy Machine to stay on Illenium

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #2681 on: March 12, 2024, 03:01:15 AM »
Crob seems to be increasingly on-edge.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2682 on: March 12, 2024, 04:10:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Crazy we’re talking about the same guy who turned down a spot on Toy Machine to stay on Illenium

Haha true, my mind was literally blown 😳

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • sup dog
« Reply #2683 on: March 12, 2024, 06:31:32 AM »
It’s interesting how a take on another person differs from person to person.

I’m listening and it seems that Lutza is super hyped and he just keeps talking and talking, making so others have to jump in to say anything.

But I like show, so my bias is that everyone’s good.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 06:52:43 AM by JM »

ElonMuskaBeats

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2684 on: March 12, 2024, 06:39:30 AM »

I’m listening and it seems that Lutza is super hyped and he just keeps talking and talking, making so others have to jump in to say anything.

But I like show, so my bias is that everyone’s is good.

Yeah that’s how I saw it too. But of course people are quick to blame crob. And I don’t even like the show that much. It definitely has its moments though.

mikevsleftlightningtat

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2685 on: March 12, 2024, 07:44:17 AM »
Not jumping to crobs defense but my take so far (65 min in) is that lutzka truly is fan boying/overwhelmed and is all over the place. Got such a kick out of crob saying “a 2 million dollar deal” - lutzka then attempting to correct him by saying “I said a couple million” and crob breaking the news to him that a couple = 2 lol

Also would love to start seeing a word count from Jeron after each ep. Dude probably said less than 20 with SVD but the lutz seems to break him out of his shell. Weird

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2686 on: March 12, 2024, 08:36:42 AM »
Lutzka is a fellow pro meanwhile Steve van doren  is corpo executive so jeron prob felt more comfortable with the fellow pro

powerhazard

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2687 on: March 12, 2024, 09:21:32 AM »
Expand Quote

But I like show, so my bias is that everyone’s is good.
[close]

Yeah that’s how I saw it too. But of course people are quick to blame crob. And I don’t even like the show that much. It definitely has its moments though.

I actually don’t normally mind Chris. But this one was bad IMO. I wanted to hear more about the Illenium & Beer City days but they skipped right past it as Chris couldn’t control himself asking about deals & stuff that were later on in Greg’s career.

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #2688 on: March 12, 2024, 11:00:49 AM »
My favorite part of the Steve Van Doren episode is when he’s describing potentially owning a restaurant and how the boards and stuff on the walls would be ever changing every three months or so “like a gecko that changes colors and stuff” except he accidentally called it a Greco

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2689 on: March 12, 2024, 12:31:29 PM »
My favorite part of the Steve Van Doren episode is when he’s describing potentially owning a restaurant and how the boards and stuff on the walls would be ever changing every three months or so “like a gecko that changes colors and stuff” except he accidentally called it a Greco

Hahaha, still makes sense though

highlife light

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2690 on: March 12, 2024, 04:05:01 PM »
Funny they asked Greg about going to the same hypnotist as Rob Dyrdek. Leading up to that, I kept thinking he talks in a similar way to Rob, and now I wonder if that's because of the success hypnotist or whatever they called it.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1261
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2691 on: March 13, 2024, 02:45:29 AM »
Crob seems to be increasingly on-edge.
it’s even worse on the live episodes. especially the one with andy anderson

Rein

• Rep: -21
« Reply #2692 on: March 13, 2024, 02:46:27 AM »
Liked the Lutzka episode for the first two hours, then he started giving off some narcissistic-crypto bro-influencer vibes and I had to turn it off.

mikevsleftlightningtat

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2693 on: March 13, 2024, 08:33:49 AM »
Holy shit that was bad. Lutzka defending his $30 big box completes for 30 minutes and saying he can watch the same ep of shark tank over and over was the last straw for me

EARL***THE***PEARL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -111
  • MR.MADN3SSS LOVES YOU... NT MM
« Reply #2694 on: March 13, 2024, 08:46:49 AM »
Some more to look toward to

BEAUTIFUL

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2695 on: March 13, 2024, 09:54:51 AM »
Liked the Lutzka episode for the first two hours, then he started giving off some narcissistic-crypto bro-influencer vibes and I had to turn it off.

Yeah the last part lost me. Big time LA rich guy vibes. Getting hypnotized to fulfill his entrepreneurial visions. He looks up to present day dyrdek and Mike Taylor

busch

• Rep: 74
« Reply #2696 on: March 13, 2024, 11:45:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Hahaha, still makes sense though

That’s why it was my favorite part. Wasn’t there a gecko Greco photoshop floating around here at some point?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 954
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2697 on: March 13, 2024, 12:08:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
At least in two weeks, we should have an episode with an OG Chocolatito on the Nine Club.
[close]

That's cool. I hope it's Paulo Diaz. But my money is on Ben Sanchez or Richard Mulder, more likely Mulder.
[close]

scott johnston maybe? he's not og og but pretty og

wait no i'm 99% sure it's chico
[close]

Expand Quote

that would be sick if true

They arent gonna ask why he left Chocolate but hey
[close]

He answered it in BS with TG interview (9:05)

I love TG
I love CB

I'm happy I existed in this universe
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #2698 on: March 13, 2024, 12:29:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Some more to look toward to

[close]

BEAUTIFUL

yeah, patiently waiting for this one

Havent listened to the show since January so its gonna be interesting hearing what you lot are talking about

Did listen to the clip on Lutzka losing his car sponsorship

Kinda crazy he was surprised a car company wanted him to drive the car they gave him, but good for him for getting a check to not fulfill his end of the deal i guess?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2699 on: March 13, 2024, 12:52:19 PM »
Lutzka did not want to spill the beans on how he got the Walmart deal. Its probably his main source of income now.