Author Topic: ACL  (Read 41194 times)

sergio

Re: ACL
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 11:43:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks for the advice.  I think I am going to try and stay off the board for awhile and get an MRI to see whats up.  Hope your healing is going good.
[close]
Thanks.  Yeah... it's been 5 weeks since surgery this past Wednesday.  Not that I'm counting or anything....
[close]

what is the update good sir. i too will going under the knife.
[close]
  Things are going good.  My knee feels much more stable since the surgery.  There's still a little bit of stiffness if I bend it back all the way.  My muscles are slowly coming back.  I'm at physical therapy twice a week and things are moving along.  I feel like I could probably carve around at a park or push down the street but think it's best if I just wait a few more weeks.  I don't know if you talked to your surgeon yet but I'd recommend talking to him about the benefits of regional anesthesia.  My surgeon hooked me up with 50 percoset because he thought I'd be in tons of pain after the surgery but with regional, things weren't too bad at all immediately following the procedure.   Do you know if you're going with a cadaver ACL or your hamstring?

ACL

Math Professor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thanks for the advice.  I think I am going to try and stay off the board for awhile and get an MRI to see whats up.  Hope your healing is going good.
[close]
Thanks.  Yeah... it's been 5 weeks since surgery this past Wednesday.  Not that I'm counting or anything....
[close]

[close]
  Things are going good.  My knee feels much more stable since the surgery.  There's still a little bit of stiffness if I bend it back all the way.  My muscles are slowly coming back.  I'm at physical therapy twice a week and things are moving along.  I feel like I could probably carve around at a park or push down the street but think it's best if I just wait a few more weeks.  I don't know if you talked to your surgeon yet but I'd recommend talking to him about the benefits of regional anesthesia.  My surgeon hooked me up with 50 percoset because he thought I'd be in tons of pain after the surgery but with regional, things weren't too bad at all immediately following the procedure.   Do you know if you're going with a cadaver ACL or your hamstring?
[close]

ACL
Are they gonna replace your ACL with one from a cadaver or from your hamstring?  The doc said the hamstring was strong but took a little longer to heal since they remove part of your hamstring but that's the one I went with.

sergio

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2007, 07:51:52 PM »
no word yet, had my MRI this week. ill know in my next appointment

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 04:32:55 AM »
Math Professor, Hope it's going okay, S and D is on point with all of his tips.
"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2007, 04:54:44 PM »

Yeah... everything is going well so far.  I went to my 3rd post op appointment and the Physicians Assistant said my muscles are strong.  I'm still going to PT because it's still not 100%.  I'm hoping to lose a bit of the beer gut I've gained over the last 12 weeks before I step back on the board to help ease back into it.  I'm shooting to at least carve around in mid-to-late July just to get the feel of the board back.  It seriously feel's like its been a long time...

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 03:38:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah... everything is going well so far.  I went to my 3rd post op appointment and the Physicians Assistant said my muscles are strong.  I'm still going to PT because it's still not 100%.  I'm hoping to lose a bit of the beer gut I've gained over the last 12 weeks before I step back on the board to help ease back into it.  I'm shooting to at least carve around in mid-to-late July just to get the feel of the board back.  It seriously feel's like its been a long time...

Sounds good, hang in there.
"success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts"

greg

• Rep: -25
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 06:57:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

ACL
[close]
Are they gonna replace your ACL with one from a cadaver or from your hamstring?  The doc said the hamstring was strong but took a little longer to heal since they remove part of your hamstring but that's the one I went with.

that's what i did, the hamstring thing, it never healed properly and i've been dodging another surgery for about 3 years now.  i need it, it's getting to be about that time.

greg

• Rep: -25
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 06:59:18 AM »
and as for muscle strengthening in the rehab/PT, i know it's gay, but ride a bike, it's one of the best things you can do.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 07:56:19 AM »
I chose the Dead Man Achilles route.  When my surgeon told me that the hamstring route would take a little longer to heal, in an overall sense, that's all I had to hear.

Silent Bob.

• Rep: 67
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 09:16:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I forgot about that one - yeah I was amazed at how much weight I put on when I couldn't skate - I continued to eat the way I did before I hurt myself and was pretty devastated when I realised how much weight skating burns off and that I'd have to stop eating all the crap I'd been able to get away with eating before!

It felt like ages for me too - but like I say I love skating more than ever thanks to that forced break; I'd never not skated even in the dark little wheels era and it felt so weird. I even wondered whether I'd ever be able to properly get on the board again - the mind can be good at playing tricks! And it made me realise that I get really bored when I can't ride my skateboard or find some other form of adrenaline-inducement; life seems dull when you're just sitting about!

It will be over soon enough though and it will all be a bad memory - just make sure you listen to your body the whole time and take it easy at first

Oh yeah at first my knee used to swell lots every time I skated, but with no pain; I used to worry about that - but that isn't anything serious (unless it feels "wrong") and died down every time; it was just a case of limiting how often I skated at first

Oh - and I'd strongly recommend wearing a knee gasket when you start skating again - feels awkward at first but it really does help it feel more solid!

Good luck :)

Silent Bob.

« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 09:18:17 AM »
Ahem haven't got the hang of that quoting business yet, sorry!

hatehatehatehate

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »
skating some regular double set in late feb, foot slipped about an inch when i landed, knee just went sideways, felt all sorts of tearing. i have an HMO though and he wouldnt send me to an orthipedic doc saying that i was "young enough to where i wouldn't need surgery" even though im 21.  did it in again last sunday, went to an orthipedic today, schedualed for an MRI next week. i heard him recording notes about me though and he was talking about possible tears of both the MCL and the ACL so thats going to be interesting. thanks for all these tips in here, its much appreciated.

Silent Bob.

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2007, 02:11:47 AM »
Mate, good luck!

I went through the same thing - they told me that I'd sprained it at first but of course it went again and then they finally took me seriously

You'll know better than any medic - if it feels "wrong" then make sure they check you out properly

And I hate to say it, but it is one of the few areas which does not heal itself as far as I'm aware - the muscles around the knee grow to compensate but the knee ligaments don't repair themselves: so that first guy may have given you some really bad advice..!

At least it's all fixable -ten or 15 years ago it wasn't so easy, so things could be worse!

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2007, 07:27:57 AM »
Keep your head up, man.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2007, 12:13:57 PM »
Actually went skating around the hood yesterday evening for the first time in 16 weeks since the surgery.  I just did some ollies and pushed around.  I'm not heading to El Toro anytime soon that's for fuckin' sure.  It felt fuckin' great being back on my board.

remEMBer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 52
    • emb4ever avatar image
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2007, 12:21:39 PM »
Actually went skating around the hood yesterday evening for the first time in 16 weeks since the surgery.  I just did some ollies and pushed around.  I'm not heading to El Toro anytime soon that's for fuckin' sure.  It felt fuckin' great being back on my board.

Well when you head up to sac I will take you to a 30 flat 30 just to warm up...

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2007, 02:19:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Well when you head up to sac I will take you to a 30 flat 30 just to warm up...

I was hoping to warm up "Koston style" on the Roseville triple set.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2007, 09:26:56 PM »

Yeah, Professor!  That's sick, man.

Silent Bob.

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 01:04:18 AM »

Sick man - just in time for the good bit of summer too! Seriously it's all good from here - even just being able to chill out with friends is amazing after a long time injured, let alone the feeling of skating again! It will probably swell a bit after the first few skates (or at least mine did) but that's perfectly normal and that will stop happening after a while!

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sick man - just in time for the good bit of summer too! Seriously it's all good from here - even just being able to chill out with friends is amazing after a long time injured, let alone the feeling of skating again! It will probably swell a bit after the first few skates (or at least mine did) but that's perfectly normal and that will stop happening after a while!

Yeah, it was swollen and it's still feelin' a little sore.  I wanna go roll around again but don't wanna push it.  I've been icing it down on a regular basis just to keep the swelling at a minimum.  I just realized that I had a ton of cuss words in that last post.  I guess I was feelin' a bit hyped on posting up that I rolled around.

bornindabay

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2007, 05:38:03 PM »

not trying to discourage  you but chiiiiiiiiiil dude. Skating will only be fun and you'll think, "oh it doesn't hurt, I'll push it a little harder today". Not a good idea. I'd hit the bike up  and do hecka exercises to strengthen it up. You don't want this to linger and if you do the right things now it won't ever be an issue again.

barf

• Rep: -2
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2007, 10:18:13 PM »
I tore my meniscus last summer, and got surgery on june 22. I can walk fine now, and i did a couple of ollies around my house. Shits been fucking boring, easily my worst summer. I could have had a job but i had to go for surgery. My doctor said i gatta go swimming a lot. So im swimming, its easy but hella boring, and their is always shit in the pool. But it will all be worth it when i can back tail my box in a week or two.

Silent Bob.

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2007, 04:52:44 AM »
Good luck with it, and remember to be patient! Have you been out of skating since last summer? If so remember you'll lose muscle and muscle memory, so things will come back - but you won't be able to do everything straight away: it's easy to get stressy over that! I was injured for over 2 years solid and I'm still re-learning some of my old tricks. I just tried to think of myself as being lucky to skate again and to not have an ego over what level I skated at - it's weird scooting around relearning some basics when you're used to pushing yourself, but it's got to be done (and it was kind of refreshing to just be free to thrash aorund for a while rather than being expected to bust something out)

On the good side I've not had any problems in the 2 years since I've been skating, can do almost anything I did before and have learnt some new stuff to make up for the lost tricks, and really really enjoy skating now: I'm like a little kid when it's sunny out and I can go skate!!

Oh and, as a wiser man than me has mentioned above, using a bike really strengthens the leg as do the excercises the physio will have given you: I tried to come back way too soon when I first did mine and it went again just doing a switch boardslide on a tiny flatbar and pivoting out with my leg on the bad leg: if you do that then you'll have to go through the whole process again from the beginning!

h@rry_t3H_pImP

• Rep: 1
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2007, 03:08:22 PM »
(Fuk, heres my story)

Yeh, welcome the new member(I'm fukkin with you)

I tore my ACL on November 12, 2006, didn't really know it was an ACL until I got an MRI at the end of March, went in for surgery April 5, 2007 on the hamstring graft program(I got pictures I'll post soon)I woke up halfway through the surgery, asked them(surgeons)how we were doing, they said, "Great!" and at that point they were just about done so we were bullshitting. After that I started PT going 3x a week. Fast forward to present, the doctors & therapist's are tremendously happy with my progress, I go to PT once a week now for another 2 months and I've even skated a little flatground yesterday :) :) :) :)but the party's kinda just getting started as I have to join a gym after I'm done with PT and will also have to wear a knee brace for about a year until the hamstring tendons fully grow back. My advice at this point is:

1. DO NOT skimp on the excercises(Leg raises, crabs, etc.)

2. DO NOT over excercise(yeh, I know)

3. DO NOT over ice, as you need a consistent flow of blood in that area

4. If you got a pool use it(when you come to that point)if not, join a gym that has one, if not, fuck it the YMCA...

5. Pay special attention to the Quad/ hamstring area as that where you'll most of the instability after you've healed to the point of being able to walk un-assisted.

hatehatehatehate

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2007, 10:37:08 PM »
i guess my ACL's fully torn and my Meniscus is torn vertically. I have a surgery on August 8th.

I'm wondering though, I told the doctor I wanted the ligament from a cadaver or whatever, thats the better choice right? I thought thats what you guys agreed on on here but I'm not sure.

I SUCK!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2007, 11:29:39 PM »
i guess my ACL's fully torn and my Meniscus is torn vertically. I have a surgery on August 8th.

I'm wondering though, I told the doctor I wanted the ligament from a cadaver or whatever, thats the better choice right? I thought thats what you guys agreed on on here but I'm not sure.

I had 2 ACL recons and researched the possible options until I almost lost my mind.
After everything, I personally think the cadaver ligament is the way to go, but a lot of it has to do with your doctor and what he specializes in. You have the fastest recovery time with a cadaver ligament, because you don't have to harvest ligaments from your own body. The only down side is getting used to the idea you got somebody else's parts in your leg or the 1 and a million chance that the ligament won't react well in your body.

All said, good luck and this thread has pretty much everything you need to know once you're out of surgery.
Peace.

h@rry_t3H_pImP

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2007, 08:36:55 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I had 2 ACL recons and researched the possible options until I almost lost my mind.
After everything, I personally think the cadaver ligament is the way to go, but a lot of it has to do with your doctor and what he specializes in. You have the fastest recovery time with a cadaver ligament, because you don't have to harvest ligaments from your own body. The only down side is getting used to the idea you got somebody else's parts in your leg or the 1 and a million chance that the ligament won't react well in your body.

All said, good luck and this thread has pretty much everything you need to know once you're out of surgery.
Peace.

2?!?!?!?!? You did 2 of these fukkers?!?!?!

/tips hat
//claps

So what is YOUR advice? Your the type I've been dying to here from...
At this point your the resident expert(hands down)and there is NO DOCTOR in the world that can give you insight as to how to recover effectively from this in skateboarding; baseball/ basketball/ football sure, but not skateboarding. If you would have any advice or input on some excercises/ stretches or routines that helped you that would be GREATLY appreciated.

ez,
h

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 08:39:27 AM by h@rry_t3H_pImP »

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2007, 09:02:52 AM »

Good luck, dude.

h@rry_t3H_pImP

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2007, 10:31:04 AM »

The meniscus I am not sure about, but my vote is for a hamstring graft. From what I understand cadaver grafts do not come back as strong as a hamstring graft, the upside is that yes, you'll be out and about quicker, but it doesn't per se heal faster; it's just that the quadricep doesn't need as much attention during the rehab process. With a hamstring graft the rehab takes a longer time but if your minds right and your doing what you gotta do it will be stronger overall(stronger than before even). Also, there is a slight risk of infection with a cadaver graft, but it's negligible(like 1 in 1,000,000). So basically your choices are be on your feet and skating in 3-6 months(cadaver, quicker recovery, moderate ACL strength) or in 6-8 months(hamstring, stronger ACL overall, tendons not restored fully for 1yr)
Choose your poison.

h
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 10:33:07 AM by h@rry_t3H_pImP »

H8R

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2007, 10:44:52 AM »
h@rry_t3H_pImP,

I KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER!