Author Topic: Walmart is making Pro boards now  (Read 2145 times)

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
Walmart is making Pro boards now
« on: March 19, 2020, 06:29:11 PM »

Wtf

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

secondhandstoke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -448
Re: Walmart is making Pro boards now
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 06:34:51 PM »
why not?  they are prolly as good as anything else.  they can get them cheeper because they buy in such large quantities.  lets see how many ppl stick with paying twice as much for they're core brand during the recession

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 06:36:30 PM »
Imagine seeing one in the wild. 2020 is fuckin twisted.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:37:53 PM »
If I had a face like that I wouldn't use it for youtube thumbnails
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 06:52:11 PM »
why not?  they are prolly as good as anything else.  they can get them cheeper because they buy in such large quantities.  lets see how many ppl stick with paying twice as much for they're core brand during the recession

Walmart started selling house-branded laptops a few years ago and while the first release sucked, subsequent releases offered great price to performance and were great for casual consumers who didn't want to get into the nitty gritty of Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo or MSI. But those are multi-billion dollar mega corporations who have market share to burn. Not quite the case in the skate industry where the companies are fighting for a much smaller customer base with much tighter margins. If Walmart bothered to refine their 2nd run of boards by working with a reputed woodshop (I'm thinking DSM) then I think they would definitely be a threat to shops.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1072
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
1.) Literally everyone sales blanks for $28 they’re 10$ a pop on alibaba
2.) I looked it on Walmart.com unless I missed something Walmart it self doesn’t sale decks directly but other stores do like amazon. So did he just buy a tgm blank from Walmart.com and think it’s Walmart?
3.) blick art supply sales blanks for $23
4.) he paid 28$ for the deck and got the grip shipped separately so that another 7$ dollars conservatively. At 35$ you can find a pro board or blank just about anywhere on the Internet. Dwindle price points start at 29.99

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 07:34:12 PM »
1.) Literally everyone sales blanks for $28 they’re 10$ a pop on alibaba
2.) I looked it on Walmart.com unless I missed something Walmart it self doesn’t sale decks directly but other stores do like amazon. So did he just buy a tgm blank from Walmart.com and think it’s Walmart?
3.) blick art supply sales blanks for $23
4.) he paid 28$ for the deck and got the grip shipped separately so that another 7$ dollars conservatively. At 35$ you can find a pro board or blank just about anywhere on the Internet. Dwindle price points start at 29.99

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 06:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Walmart started selling house-branded laptops a few years ago and while the first release sucked, subsequent releases offered great price to performance and were great for casual consumers who didn't want to get into the nitty gritty of Asus, Dell, HP, Lenovo or MSI. But those are multi-billion dollar mega corporations who have market share to burn. Not quite the case in the skate industry where the companies are fighting for a much smaller customer base with much tighter margins. If Walmart bothered to refine their 2nd run of boards by working with a reputed woodshop (I'm thinking DSM) then I think they would definitely be a threat to shops.
Yeah. I got a DSM vibe too. Why are you thinking that?
I'm thinking Highline/Bravo/Dwindle already sells to WM and the concave kinda looks like DSM.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1933
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2020, 07:23:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I'm thinking Highline/Bravo/Dwindle already sells to WM and the concave kinda looks like DSM.

Just a hunch, DSM may be considered a premium woodshop in China, there may be other woodshop that can do it for cheaper so it wouldn't surprise me if WM went with a cheaper woodshop that made "good enough" boards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2020, 10:24:09 AM »
The world is evolving. Fuck it, we can’t stop it.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2020, 11:22:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Just a hunch, DSM may be considered a premium woodshop in China, there may be other woodshop that can do it for cheaper so it wouldn't surprise me if WM went with a cheaper woodshop that made "good enough" boards.

Walmart wouldn't search out woodshop itself. Skateboards are not worth the trouble to do that. With niche markets, a large company like Walmart wants to deal with one distro to handle as much of it as they can. That's why all the skates, scooters, and boards at Walmart come from bravo, the monster high board with plastic wheels to the dew tour scooter. If anything Bravo would pitch this product to Walmarts sports and athletics buyer. The buyer would say. WTF is this? Then Bravo convinces Walmart to take this product on a trial basis, whereas Walmart sells it through their website and if the demand or publicity is high enough then they'll try it out in a small batch of stores, probably California or PCNW. When a parent sees an entire tony hawk skateboard for $14.99, they're not gonna buy they're kid a blank, THEN go elsewhere for the rest of the skateboard. Bravo(or whatever deck seller) would have to convince Walmart this makes sense. Anyone who skates already knows how to get a blank if they want one.

source: I worked for a toy distro.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2020, 01:59:05 PM »
'Pro board'

Has Revive deck :P

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2020, 02:09:49 PM »
'Pro board'

Pro?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »
'Pro board'

Lmao
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

secondhandstoke

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 04:04:17 PM »

your face looks like it ran into a curb a few too many times

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2020, 04:13:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And I wouldn't use it for youtube thumbnails

Fuckface
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Davethedavedave

• Rep: -101
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 12:54:17 AM »
John hill just a smart bussinessman. He getting that walmart advert money

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 01:01:03 AM »
remive is like the great value brand of skate companys and darkstar is like the market pantry or something

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Walmart wouldn't search out woodshop itself. Skateboards are not worth the trouble to do that. With niche markets, a large company like Walmart wants to deal with one distro to handle as much of it as they can. That's why all the skates, scooters, and boards at Walmart come from bravo, the monster high board with plastic wheels to the dew tour scooter. If anything Bravo would pitch this product to Walmarts sports and athletics buyer. The buyer would say. WTF is this? Then Bravo convinces Walmart to take this product on a trial basis, whereas Walmart sells it through their website and if the demand or publicity is high enough then they'll try it out in a small batch of stores, probably California or PCNW. When a parent sees an entire tony hawk skateboard for $14.99, they're not gonna buy they're kid a blank, THEN go elsewhere for the rest of the skateboard. Bravo(or whatever deck seller) would have to convince Walmart this makes sense. Anyone who skates already knows how to get a blank if they want one.

I hear what you're saying. Not being sarcastic.. but did you hear/read about the Highline/Bravo/Dwindle/Sector9 deal?

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 11:11:57 AM »
If it helps poor kids be able to have quality(ish) boards then I'm down for it

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 12:49:12 PM »
watching Blood Wizard Occult video. Is that a giant walmat logo on the ramp at 6:41
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/videos/blood-wizard-s-occult-video/

Dr Dew

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 12:53:12 PM »
weed maps

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 02:33:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
I hear what you're saying. Not being sarcastic.. but did you hear/read about the Highline/Bravo/Dwindle/Sector9 deal?

Yeah, I realize bravo owns dwindle now, but I still believe that convincing Walmart to sell a gripless blank deck is a stretch. It’s the same reason, you can get roller skate wheels, or bike handle bars at Walmart. That’s fundamentally not the business they do. And skateboards are such a small percent it wouldn’t make sense to sale part of a skateboard to smaller market.

secondhandstoke

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 03:13:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, I realize bravo owns dwindle now, but I still believe that convincing Walmart to sell a gripless blank deck is a stretch. It’s the same reason, you can get roller skate wheels, or bike handle bars at Walmart. That’s fundamentally not the business they do. And skateboards are such a small percent it wouldn’t make sense to sale part of a skateboard to smaller market.

why doesn't it make sense?  your girlfriend bought her last vibrator there.

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 09:09:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

And I wouldn't use it for youtube thumbnails

Fuckface

Something about YouTubers making regular faces in their thumbnails. Maybe "the algorithm" responds well to autism.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 09:23:38 AM »
If it helps poor kids be able to have quality(ish) boards then I'm down for it

This is why shop decks are important. Fuck walmart. Your cash spent there is paying for billionaires to get richer while your taxes are paying for their employees to eat, since walmart won't actually pay most of them a living wage.