Author Topic: Whats the trick to manuals  (Read 7549 times)

truthislie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Whats the trick to manuals
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2020, 04:52:08 AM »
A wise friend told me years ago:
Manual - back truck has to be exactly in line with your back testicle
Nose manual - front truck has to be exactly in line with your front testicle

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2020, 11:56:32 PM »
going faster always helped with manual balance

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2020, 02:17:06 AM »
already many good advices
make your trucks tighter to get some assistance, it helps a lot but once you're better at them with tight trucks go back to your usual truck setting asap
manuals are just something you practice for a really long time to get confortable with them.
Set goals in the distance, and look at that goal. You get better balance it you eye-focus on something in the distance.
Try to keep your shoulders aligned with the board, doesn't really feel natural at first but it will help balancing. It's good too for the next step when you ll learn that lil hip / shoulder swing to more easily get back or front reverts

i guess everyone has his own technique when it comes to foot placement but the most effective for me ( same for nosemanual) is to have your foot not too far on the tail (or nose). In the pocket gives the best results. Seems easier to correct the balance that way, more control if your foot / weight is in that place on your board

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2020, 03:23:16 AM »
A wise friend told me years ago:
Manual - back truck has to be exactly in line with your back testicle
Nose manual - front truck has to be exactly in line with your front testicle

I have a friend with three testicles who's really good at one-footed manual tricks, so I suspect your friend really is onto something there.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2020, 06:16:03 PM »
Read the comments above and like someone said you need to have a goal. Go to a parking lot and manual one parking space(from line to line) then try to get 2 parking spaces and do that for a couple hours everyday for a couple years. Then never change your setup. And you can be that guy that manuals around the whole skatepark and pretend it’s a trick.

Rollbrettfetischist

• Rep: 4
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2020, 09:53:02 AM »
Flat kicks and trucks with a shorter wheelbase make my manuals easier.

NoHopeNoHarm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »
i made a make shift balance board out of a 2 liter bottle and an old deck and practiced balancing closer to the nose when i was learning nose manuals. Did this for like 3 nights in a row and then the next time i skated i could nose manual. Also -- engage your core and keep it tight from the pop to the land in manual and throughout the manual.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2020, 01:19:24 PM »
going faster always helped with manual balance

This for sure.

Being relaxed since being tense only makes it more difficult.

Also, when learning, ollieing on to something relatively small makes shit easier... If you are straining to Ollie on top the obstacle it is going to be insanely difficult to land in a comfortable position.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2020, 10:18:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Don’t think about it like you are balancing on two wheels. 

Think of it like you’re riding around on three wheels but you are trying to pull one close and whisper “I’m not wearing any panties” into its ear.
[close]
Sound advice, right there.^^^
Gave it a try & bang! Mannies on lock now. Thanks.
I have always had success with this method, and found as I hold the manual that whisper slowly becomes a shout. So basically the louder you shout it the longer the manual will be.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2020, 03:44:59 PM »
wheels on the ground are heavily pinched heel side, with your other foot pinch the toe side a little so that you don't turn even though your heavily pinched heelside.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2020, 10:00:19 PM »
I like this thread. My manny game has always sucked but I'm living in low impact town these days so I've been working on them this year. Core strength is key. I started doing sit ups just to get better at them and that's helped. Looseish trucks are key for me so you can make adjustments as you roll. Also, no one ever seems to talk about this but I find I have to roll into it a bit. In my head I call it a zhuzh but I shift my weight forward but on my back foot when I get into them and that's been working. Also I tend to lean toe side so it's weird to hear that's bad for other people. I try to keep my weight centered but when I start to lose them I can lean toe side and keep it going a little longer.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2020, 11:01:32 PM »
A really mellow deck with short wb trucks like Indy or Ace's do really help an insane amount.
So much more forgiving. Also, dont land with stiff knee's/legs, nor should you practise balance with stiff knee's.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2020, 12:45:57 AM »
I like this thread. My manny game has always sucked but I'm living in low impact town these days so I've been working on them this year. Core strength is key. I started doing sit ups just to get better at them and that's helped. Looseish trucks are key for me so you can make adjustments as you roll. Also, no one ever seems to talk about this but I find I have to roll into it a bit. In my head I call it a zhuzh but I shift my weight forward but on my back foot when I get into them and that's been working. Also I tend to lean toe side so it's weird to hear that's bad for other people. I try to keep my weight centered but when I start to lose them I can lean toe side and keep it going a little longer.

I don't always go heel side actually , usually only for longer manuals but with short ones and tricks out i actually stay more toeside.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2020, 01:43:40 AM »
Something that works quite well for me is to make sure that my head is dead ass lined up with the back bolts, and I look down directly at them to help me keep in mind that my core needs to be over those bolts... this obviously isn't super practical for seeing what's ahead of you, but it did help me get them sustained for longer.

Another thing that helped a bit was bringing my front foot down toward the middle of the board a bit more, as I used to do them with it up on or past the front bolts, so any adjustment you do will be exaggerated, with the foot brought back i find i have a bit more fine tuning and control, also way easier to progress to doing a trick out of it.

Arms out to move around and balance where needed. I skate low trucks, small wheels and mellow kicktails, and it feels like quite a stable manual platform when i get into them. It's given me enough confidence to be able to nollie shuv into one, and BS shuv out of one (rarely in the same combo!).

I can pretty consistently manual about 12-15ft now after putting a bit of time into them.

My nose manuals, however... nah. Lucky if i can get 3ft! really suck at them.

theblandest

• Rep: 12
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2020, 08:48:40 PM »
I learned fs 5-0s before manuals and fs nosegrinds before nose manuals. Felt like that give me an edge. Also, I never felt as frustrated when I scraped when grinding. Feeling positive makes things come easier.
To learn the balance, I never focused on body/foot placement. Granted I don't have any real body mass and I'm short so that might have just given me an edge. I just went at a comfortable speed down a smooth sidewalk and tried to manual/nose manual as many blocks as possible. You'll learn the balance over time as you constantly one-up yourself.

The body/foot placement really comes into play when you try to learn flip ins/outs. That testicle rule above is key for the flip manuals.

Also, when it comes to nose manuals. Learn G-turns or swerving them. Maybe this only works for me, but when I swerve a nose manual, it's easier to balance.
Here's a clip of me doing one to show you what I mean:
https://www.facebook.com/1759751016/videos/pcb.10207618007485810/10207618002365682/

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2020, 12:37:41 PM »
going faster helps

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2020, 12:38:59 PM »
Non-setup wise, core strength (abs) will help you keep your manual going. Get those crunches in and you'll notice yourself being able to balance better.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2020, 04:25:31 AM »
Anyone know the secret for Ollie to nose manual? I can do nose manuals pretty decent on flat and my Ollie to manuals are good. I can also do a bunch of nose slide variations but Ollie to nose manual feels so alien

no shortcut
practice until you find the sweet spot for your front foot when landing

you'll get there

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2020, 09:22:11 AM »
Trick to manuals: Ask the guy at the skatepark that only manuals around the entire perimeter of the park without scraping. Every skatepark has that guy.

fakie butt drop

• it is what it is
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2020, 07:55:52 PM »
remember to breathe.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2020, 08:49:25 PM »
Anyone know the secret for Ollie to nose manual? I can do nose manuals pretty decent on flat and my Ollie to manuals are good. I can also do a bunch of nose slide variations but Ollie to nose manual feels so alien

Only ollie as high as needed, never aim to pop super high unnecessarily if that makes sense..

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2020, 10:52:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only ollie as high as needed, never aim to pop super high unnecessarily if that makes sense..
This makes sense and I’ve noticed people not popping as high as they could for a regular manual into a nose manual. There’s always that fear of leaning too far on the nose and eating it though.

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2020, 03:15:16 PM »
So you know how you can feel the difference of your tail truck and your nose truck? Well, focus even further and try to notice the individual balls in your bearings. Paying attention to how your bearings feel and that will let you know if you should lean back or forward to stay in manual.
[Applause]

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2020, 05:40:01 PM »
Stay loose and manual everything, everywhere. Also keep your trucks loose. Tight trucks are a crutch at best, and it won't teach you to manual properly. I'd argue that manuals are just as much about lateral balance as it is about keeping your vertical balance.

I turn, spin, slalom, ollie, kickturn, powerslide, anything I can think of while manualing, and it really helps me with being able to hold them when doing regular tricks.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2020, 04:12:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
This makes sense and I’ve noticed people not popping as high as they could for a regular manual into a nose manual. There’s always that fear of leaning too far on the nose and eating it though.

You kinda “run out” of the slam at the start. Just start on a stock pad and you’ll be sweet.

dharris

• Rep: 1
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2020, 10:45:24 AM »
Manuals is all about weight distribution. Learn how to distribute your weight.  ;) :) 8)
Stuffs I like: questboards.com best skateboard AND customer service
David Harris - If you never try. you'll never know!

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2020, 06:29:31 AM »
what the hell is the trick to switch nosemanuals? I can nosemanual and switch manual fine, and can do a switch nosemanny if I have to but they never get any easier. 4 out of 5 I'll just put my back truck down immediately and the other one I'll just immediately put my nose down and eat shit. Any tips on ollieing into them more consistently? I think I don't commit as I slam on them so often
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

fakie butt drop

• it is what it is
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2020, 02:05:11 AM »
what the hell is the trick to switch nosemanuals? I can nosemanual and switch manual fine, and can do a switch nosemanny if I have to but they never get any easier. 4 out of 5 I'll just put my back truck down immediately and the other one I'll just immediately put my nose down and eat shit. Any tips on ollieing into them more consistently? I think I don't commit as I slam on them so often
For me the trick was to just think about popping straight onto the balls of your feet and just breathing. in the beginning tightening your truck just a tiny bit helps as well.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2020, 04:03:35 AM »
Read the comments above and like someone said you need to have a goal. Go to a parking lot and manual one parking space(from line to line) then try to get 2 parking spaces and do that for a couple hours everyday for a couple years. Then never change your setup. And you can be that guy that manuals around the whole skatepark and pretend it’s a trick.

I feel attacked by this hahah!

My general advice for manuals (and I do them every session, regular, nose manual, switch, fakie) is find a deck shape, concave, and steepness you feel really comfortable on and stick with it. It will make all the tips already mentioned earlier to practice easier. Being comfortable with what your board does when you tell it do something is key. Also, the steeper the kicks, the harder to balance the board.

Practice standing still while holding on to a fence or the side of a skatepark ramp. Teeter your nose up and down simulating the manual position. Do this and experiment with where your back foot and front foot feelmost comfortable. Manuals are easier to hold if your foot placement feels good for it.
Once you do that, work on trying that form with a goal: manual from line to line, or up until a crack, or manual for x seconds, etc. Also, work your speed up as you do this. Start kind of slow to find the "lock-in" spot and then go faster and faster once you got the "lock-in".

Another tip, use your arms and core of your body to balance. Don't be afraid to let these body parts run wild while learning, since it's a good workout and you find your balance range. In time, you will minimize it as you dial it in but it's still important to know your body can do it in a pinch to hold on to it.
Some people can hang on to manuals like no one's business, whole others are lucky to make it 10 feet.

Most of all, remember to have fun with learning it! I learned manuals well because I learned them with friends and we competed against each other  doing most of what I said above. That push helped me learn them better and quicker!
Super Champion Fun Zone

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2020, 06:01:08 AM »

What the Frickin hell is a switch nose manual? 😆

Are you a nollie full cabber? Do you Fakie nollie? Do you use the term suski grind?

There's no such animal as a switch nose Manny ever ever ever. Never.

Fakie manny is the most gangster of manny directions. I think old people like me prefer it to nose Manny because boards had no noses and most of us did g turns on flat when we started in the '80s.

Ff

So if I'm going to do Fakie manny I'm going to pop in Fakie ollie because it's the easiest one for me. Maybe you got that switch pop to Fakie manny better idk? I do not. I'm a switch Ollie switch Manny man myself. That take me about an HR to get warm for.

Fakie switch or 80 in I'm going to try and land above the truck with open shoulders and my toes point towards my tail mirroring a nose Manny.

It's hardest with bs 80. Most people can't land toes pointing the right direction and do closed shoulders. Or they land on it with cowboys knees. That's a bummer. Nothing on Earth looks worse than skating like you just been riding a horse. Very knee looks better than that and we all know that's pretty roach too.

If you're not grabbing your board to do a mac twast don't knock knees.

The I'm rolling backwards shit is wack as fuck. I hate that. I don't care if you're Tiago lemos It looks like you haven't been skating enough switch. Maybe if I was like fuck switch bacics I could switch back tail waist high too but whatever.

I was about taking all my good habits and mirroring them.

So on the truck straight above the truck.

Hands like your going to choke someone or whatever I guess a hug works too.

If I'm off tilt I adjust my head first then my toes if that doesn't work roll up the windows. This all happens pretty quickly so it's almost like I go right to rolling up the windows.

I may fs or bs pivot back to forward at the end of the pad so i don't gotta do the little Chinese Ollie thing while rolling up the windows.

Fakie mannys are always clipping the pad if I'm rolling up the windows.

A great way to practice Fakie manny is Fakie 5oh on a metal ledge.

This is how I learned Fakie flip out but it was the Copley fountain not a metal ledge.

Wow I'm insane
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)