Author Topic: Gonz “art” is trash. Change my mind.  (Read 11765 times)

Saarinotsorry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -78
Gonz “art” is trash. Change my mind.
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:18:19 AM »
i’m 32 years old. I understand some of you guys in your 40s that grew up watching Gonz will inevitably support anything he does but jesus christ his art is so cringe.

psyduck

• Rep: -1
Re: Gonz “art” is trash. Change my mind.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:21:36 AM »
Just keep your mind the same why do you want us to change it

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:24:07 AM »
Art is subjective. Change your own mind.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 09:28:18 AM »
Art is subjective. 

what does this mean?

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 09:32:42 AM »
When I was younger I read Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut. The narrator's explanation of what draws him to abstract art was pretty eye opening. Its cool to not get certain styles art and write off other's people's interest in it, but I am really glad that I went down the abstract expressionism rabbit hole. Psychedelics definitely make it easier to appreciate emotion without context though so that might be a good place to start on your changing mind journey. 

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »
i agree.  and while i think his art is booty and his ~so~ zany kook demeanor sucks, he does look like he has fun when hes pushing around

Dante Bichette

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
  • 10th Prestige
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:40:38 AM »
Obviously not every piece of art he makes is God tier but he's definitely not shit. His designs for Supreme/Krooked are some of my favorites. His sweatpants graphic will always be iconic.
Can someone explain in Fortnite terms?

D10S

• Rep: -54
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »
Gonz is our Basquiat

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 10:56:17 AM »
I always felt his art was simplistic and childish. Pretty much crap to me. I'm honestly irked that the art world gives him so much praise and his work commands high dollars. His art has barely evolved in 30 years! He's made a career by fooling everyone. With all that said... his skating is overrated too. He comes from an era where style was everything and the dude lacks that as well. The dude is a self aware caricature of himself.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »
I always felt his art was simplistic and childish. Pretty much crap to me. I'm honestly irked that the art world gives him so much praise and his work commands high dollars. His art has barely evolved in 30 years! He's made a career by fooling everyone. With all that said... his skating is overrated too. He comes from an era where style was everything and the dude lacks that as well. The dude is a self aware caricature of himself.

his art is like the supreme brick

Saarinotsorry

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 11:02:20 AM »

Exactly. He is almost become a parody of himself in a way.

ballintoohard

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 11:14:21 AM »
Gonz isn't funny and is annoying as fuck. I could be fine never seeing him skate again.

miff

• Rep: -7
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Curious to know what you think is "good" art?

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 11:31:46 AM »
had friends growing up that would tell me: "Gonz's skating is trash. Change my mind"

uhh, no! you clearly just don't get it

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 11:34:36 AM »
Art is subjective. Change your own mind.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
gonz would be very disappointed, you know he made his art FOR you

calomo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 11:38:02 AM »
As an artist myself ( I actually pay my bills with my art ) I think that everyone has the right to make art and sell it for as much as people are willing to pay but, my only concern is that more and more I see underdeveloped styles being pushed on to the market just because the artist is a celebrity or professional skateboarder. In my opinion that's not good for the artist nor the industry. Just like in skateboarding you don’t get good at it out of nowhere,It takes time and practice to develop it and make it became your voice.
 I Personally think Mark’s art is overhyped because of who he is but at the same time I do see something really good in there. Maybe he needs less “yes people” around him telling his stuff is great.
Ps. ALL ART IS TRASH.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 11:45:48 AM by calomo »

theknifesong

• Rep: 19
  • wow!balls!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 11:42:28 AM »
Spent full week with Mark once, he is one those people that goes by "larger than life". His whole life is an art, I guess that what it takes to go for a handrail when everybody skate ramp or flat.

You can question his art, but he is true artist.

Saarinotsorry

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2020, 11:47:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

RETNA, Spy, Banksy are all crushing it

Ultra Karen

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

three of the most urban outfitter artist out there.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 11:54:44 AM »
art is but a time stamp of a moment, everything is art. all art is good to someone because it was made. no one has to get it, art is but a idea in existence.     

psyduck

• Rep: -1
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
three of the most urban outfitter artist out there.

retna is an OG from my city and on MSK crew - he fucks with Louis Vuitton , don’t play yourself girl

people watch exit through the gift shop one time and don’t know how to act ::)

here’s some better ones ya bish
style wars (had to)
Infamy
Wild style
Men in black 1/2/3
Dirty hands 1/2/3
Bomb it
Getting up
Piece by piece
State your name
Area08
Sly artistic city
Kings and toys
Stockholm subway stories
Stockholm live

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 12:07:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm wondering if you're truly curious about my thoughts on "good" art or if I'm being set up to be roasted, but here is my attempt to verbalize what I consider to be "good" art...

"Good" art should be something that requires a mastery of a skill set in the creators chosen art form. Such as potter creating a vase. The first attempts maybe lackluster, but over time the potter achieves a finished product that can't be recreated by a novice. "Good" art should progress beyond the "novice" level.

I can appreciate many different forms of art, but if I look at a piece of art and think to myself "I can can do that", I wont consider that piece to be "good" art.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 12:12:53 PM »

thebacker

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »
no dude,

bobby puleo's art is trash

Matt

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 12:21:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Art is subjective. 
[close]

what does this mean?

It means that everyone can have their own opinion on it because there is no absolute truth. You can say "to me this art is trash" but you can't state factually that it is trash because it is not measurable.

Like you could say "this coffee is 130°F", that could be an objective fact. But saying "this coffee is too hot" is subjective.

Personally I have always like the Krooked art style, and it was an influence on me as a teen.

I would never try to convince someone to like some art. It's like trying to convince someone to like a band or genre. People like what the like, and you're not going to reason someone into liking blast beats or something if it's not for them.
live love laugh

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 12:29:32 PM »
i’m 32 years old. I understand some of you guys in your 40s that grew up watching Gonz will inevitably support anything he does but jesus christ his art is so cringe.

Pretty sure you meant Danny Minnick.  But since he's not Gonz...you'll have no clue who that is.

Saarinotsorry

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 12:30:57 PM »
I think every one of us can replicate the majority of Gonz’s “art”. That says alot.

Saarinotsorry

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 12:32:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Pretty sure you meant Danny Minnick.  But since he's not Gonz...you'll have no clue who that is.

Uhm. I know exactly who Danny is and have met him multiple times in LA. Dude shot alot of Muskas’s most memorable footage. Try again KOOK.

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »
In his defense, he very much has his own style. If you see a painting of his, you instantly know its his. Anyone that has done any art form can attest to how difficult it is to do something original and recognizable. Kieth Haring did simple characters that certain people like so I think its the same with Gonz. People like it for how it makes them feel and that makes it good art. If you don't like it thats fine but if it makes him feel good and makes others feel good it is undeniably effective art.