Author Topic: Gonz “art” is trash. Change my mind.  (Read 11741 times)

lurkluke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 171
Re: Gonz “art” is trash. Change my mind.
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2023, 03:07:40 PM »
From someone who has travelled for art, but doesn't know much about it all (I just like to look at the pictures and stuff)

His art is fine. The prices are less than $5k so it's not like it's crazy expensive. Would I buy any of it? Probably not. Am I going to spend time concerned about it's quality... also no.

However, it's honestly my dream to be able to dip out of life, and dick around doing silly art projects full time. Massive respect to anyone who is able to do that, and make a bit of money from it.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
  • old and in the way
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2023, 05:06:07 PM »
From someone who has travelled for art, but doesn't know much about it all (I just like to look at the pictures and stuff)

His art is fine. The prices are less than $5k so it's not like it's crazy expensive. Would I buy any of it? Probably not. Am I going to spend time concerned about it's quality... also no.

However, it's honestly my dream to be able to dip out of life, and dick around doing silly art projects full time. Massive respect to anyone who is able to do that, and make a bit of money from it.

You can get inexpensive Gonz zines at places like Printed Matter in NYC. I've always appreciated that about him - that you could afford to get something he's done even if you're fairly broke. And if you run into him on the street and don't kook it he might just make you a free drawing on the spot.

lurkluke

• Rep: 171
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2023, 06:00:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You can get inexpensive Gonz zines at places like Printed Matter in NYC. I've always appreciated that about him - that you could afford to get something he's done even if you're fairly broke. And if you run into him on the street and don't kook it he might just make you a free drawing on the spot.

Yeah he seems like a nice guy who is running his own race. The world needs more of that

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -218
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2023, 03:15:45 AM »
I like his skateboard art way more than some other guys’ graphics in the skate industry

ASS FAULT

• Rep: -32
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2023, 04:29:40 AM »
He can't draw nor do a decent flat color.

HeapsCool

• Rep: -173
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2023, 04:46:59 AM »

Someone listened a little hard at art school and kinda missed the point.

ASS FAULT

« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2023, 05:11:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Someone listened a little hard at art school and kinda missed the point.
and the more shitty he'll draw the more ou'll like it

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2023, 05:27:53 AM »
Edgy McEdgerson!

Septa Bus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2023, 05:28:32 AM »
and the more shitty he'll draw the more ou'll like it

i think you're starting to grasp this whole 'subjective' thing
Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2023, 05:47:51 AM »
Yes that’s why it’s sells so well  and gives his brand a unique identity

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2023, 05:49:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Art is subjective. 
[close]

what does this mean?
[close]

It means that everyone can have their own opinion on it because there is no absolute truth. You can say "to me this art is trash" but you can't state factually that it is trash because it is not measurable.

Like you could say "this coffee is 130°F", that could be an objective fact. But saying "this coffee is too hot" is subjective.

Personally I have always like the Krooked art style, and it was an influence on me as a teen.

I would never try to convince someone to like some art. It's like trying to convince someone to like a band or genre. People like what the like, and you're not going to reason someone into liking blast beats or something if it's not for them.

Sometimes this rule doesn't apply at all and it is in fact trash. People like to act like art has no parameters but that's just wholly incorrect a lot of the time. I sat through four years of dozens of critiques of myself and others in art school and there was plenty of verifiable trash for specific reasons.

Gonz's art reminds me of the one or two people who had already developed a personal art brand (because they literally didn't have the skill set to do any other type of art) and interjected it into every assignment and every project even to their own detriment.

I would imagine there's a chance gonz never had to sit through a heavy critique and get gutted in order to grow as an artist. The faux outsider art aesthetic is pretty easy to replicate. Kids could draw a gonz graphic and it'd be more impressive because their fine motor skills aren't fully developed.

He's also pretty derivative. I can probably guess his biggest influences. All that said, his skating is pretty sick and that's art of his I appreciate as wholly original and not really replicable. It's interesting how his art on paper is very derivative, but meanwhile there is an entire age group of skaters who never developed their own style because they're a derivative of MG.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 06:00:23 AM by sle_epy »
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2023, 05:58:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Art is subjective. 
[close]

what does this mean?
[close]

It means that everyone can have their own opinion on it because there is no absolute truth. You can say "to me this art is trash" but you can't state factually that it is trash because it is not measurable.

Like you could say "this coffee is 130°F", that could be an objective fact. But saying "this coffee is too hot" is subjective.

Personally I have always like the Krooked art style, and it was an influence on me as a teen.

I would never try to convince someone to like some art. It's like trying to convince someone to like a band or genre. People like what the like, and you're not going to reason someone into liking blast beats or something if it's not for them.
[close]

Sometimes this rule doesn't apply at all and it is in fact trash. People like to act like art has no parameters but that's just wholly incorrect a lot of the time. I sat through four years of dozens of critiques of myself and others in art school and there was plenty of verifiable trash for specific reasons.

Gonz's art reminds me of the one or two people who had already developed a personal art brand (because they literally didn't have the skill set to do any other type of art) and interjected it into every assignment and every project even to their own detriment.

I would imagine there's a chance gonz never had to sit through a heavy critique and get gutted in order to grow as an artist. The faux outsider art aesthetic is pretty easy to replicate. Kids could draw a gonz graphic and it'd be more impressive because their fine motor skills aren't fully developed.

He's also pretty derivative. I can probably guess his biggest influences.

This sounds like something someone who makes objectively bad art would say
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

sle_epy

« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2023, 06:02:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Art is subjective. 
[close]

what does this mean?
[close]

[close]

He's also pretty derivative. I can probably guess his biggest influences.
[close]

This sounds like something someone who makes objectively bad art would say

Never claimed to be an artist, but I saw a lot of people in college who made it their entire identity and are exactly like who I'm describing. I'm more into scratch building realistic looking models of buildings etc which is in itself derivative. So I know it when I see it haha.

Bill Salt

« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2023, 06:26:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Art is subjective. 
[close]

what does this mean?
[close]

[close]

He's also pretty derivative. I can probably guess his biggest influences. All that said, his skating is pretty sick and that's art of his I appreciate as wholly original and not really replicable. It's interesting how his art on paper is very derivative, but meanwhile there is an entire age group of skaters who never developed their own style because they're a derivative of MG.
I share the same point of view.

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2023, 06:26:53 AM »

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2023, 08:06:18 AM »
Message from Mark

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2023, 12:31:52 PM »
I feel like gonz art is supposed to annoy you. His whole persona is kinda a fuck you. I personally love gonz art and my favorite deck in my collection is the krooked trainwreck guest model. I wouldn’t trade it for even a lennie Kirk graphic mainly because it’s also signed by gonz and trainwreck.

switchfakie

« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2023, 02:10:58 PM »
art is art, stick to yo opinons boi

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2023, 03:31:28 PM »
Kind of, yeah. Some of his skate graphics are cool but I’m not going to a gallery show. That skate exhibit he did was stupid and pretentious.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1151
  • old and in the way
« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2023, 07:13:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Art is subjective. 
[close]

what does this mean?
[close]

[close]

I'm very curious to see what contemporary artists you'd say were entirely singular and without significant influence.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2023, 07:38:49 PM »
Mark is like 67.8% art.

If someone was like Mark Aloysius Lennon Gonzales invented the skatebloard. I'd be ok with that. Even though I found out who actually invented the skatebloard here on slap few years back.

The rewrite is fine. I'mma run it see what happens.

Mark Aloysius Lennon Gonzales invented skatebloards in the 1930s
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 44
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2023, 09:50:55 PM »
Do you know about Hamparte? Maybe his work could be considered Hamparte? https://fahrenheitmagazine.com/en/modern-art/plastics/the-definition-of-hamparte-the-art-of-not-having-talent

ASS FAULT

« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2023, 12:20:56 AM »

sle_epy

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2023, 05:52:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Art is subjective. 
[close]

what does this mean?
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm very curious to see what contemporary artists you'd say were entirely singular and without significant influence.

None obv, tho some are more original than others. With a skateboard as a medium I'd say he's pretty singular.

Bill Salt

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2023, 06:13:21 AM »
I think every one of us can replicate the majority of Gonz’s “art”. That says alot.
Kinda true...

L0NEW00F

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2023, 07:28:44 AM »
more of an appleyard fan myself, he paints from the soul <3

yeah i agree, marks art is funny in innocent way, i couldnt replecate that, but i can draw , the 9club mug made me laugh out loud

as per Gonz, you could name it trash, in graffiti theres also a style called trash, people hate it cuz they dont get it, its more liberating, playful, funny, wierd, original. Are Gonz art all those things? one can argue, i find nothing interesting in most of it, but guys pumping out so much, it maybe shouldnt be placed on pedestal in gallery?

altho i like this one, i dont know whats it about but it made me laugh

Septa Bus

• Rep: -59
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2023, 07:55:16 AM »
a lot of you saying ''i could make that'' or ''it looks like something he drew with his ass on toilet paper''

its true, but you're not him, you didn't do it first, and you don't have a vehicle like krooked to get it out there

seems more like jealousy that your turds aint receiving the same polish!
Expand Quote
This is shaping up to be Bunt of the Year
[close]
I hope you like home runs fucker

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2023, 08:33:37 AM »
Sometimes his art works as intended and sometimes I think Frog is a parody of Krooked.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2023, 08:57:39 AM »
The concept of "art" has been debated since Plato (and before). Glad to see some dudes on a skateboard forum have finally resolved the matter. :)
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2023, 09:25:48 AM »
Sometimes his art works as intended and sometimes I think Frog is a parody of Krooked.
Frog is more krooked than krooked

nothing's been the since same