Author Topic: Lakai 2024  (Read 2437 times)

trash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 11
Re: Lakai 2024
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2024, 04:00:15 AM »
I was in Tokyo recently and was stunned by the number of dudes wearing Lakai. They were otherwise dressed pretty trendy by 2023 skateboarder standards. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a US resurgence considering how many talented Japanese skateboarders have been getting coverage lately

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2024, 07:05:04 AM »
I’ve had 3 pairs of Cambridge…great for chillin or cruising the curb spot. They do wear down fast though, but they are always on sale.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2024, 12:26:58 PM »
Honestly I've found that the lakai shoes, and also the sole tech shoes I've skated tend to last me longer than big brands, which are the terraces and winos (vulc and cup) respectively. Adidas has been inconsistent, the cupsole puigs are amazing, but when I got some ADV sambas cause I fell for the samba hype they got shredded so fast. Nike's have always been meh in my experience when it comes to durability. NB is the exception and has been really damn good though, durability of the 1010s and 808s has been solid, although I found the 1010s were a bit inconsistent depending on the colorway and what materials, suede etc. they used for that specific colorway. Anyways NB is the only big company where I agree about the quality.

I think the issue is that the only shoes I really like the design off the top of my head from Lakai are the terraces, manchesters (at least the older ones) and telfords. As long as we're talking other core companies, for emerica it's the gamma, the KSL and the wino. In both brands cases everything else just sorta blends together and looks too similar, or doesn't look like something that'd really appeal to current skater sensibilities.

So the issue then is if I want a quality skate shoe with a design I like, when I step into a skateshop, NB presents me with a lot more options that look appealing. Beyond that, while NB is the only big company that I've personally found to be good quality overall, the bigger companies just have more designs that are more broadly appealing to current skater sensibilities, so when people walk into a skateshop, they're gonna gravitate to those brands more often since there's more likely to provide a shoe that's appealing, cool, etc.

Anyways, despite all that, I can't speak for their other shoes but the Lakai Terrace is probably my favorite skate shoe in recent memory. I cannot stress this enough, these shoes specifically fucking rule. Only issue I have is there aren't some hidden lace loops, which I think they used to do fairly often on shoes a long time ago? And they stitching for the panel with the lace loops looks like it'll start to separate for me near the first few lace loops. But this happens with every shoe I skate with paneling like that. Again, great fucking shoe, feels the best to skate in moment to moment for me. I hate ripping laces, but these are one of the few shoes that feel so nice to skate in moment to moment that it overcomes that annoyance for me. Ok rant over, try the terrace if you're curious lol

What’s the Terrace sizing like compared to the Wino slip cups?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2024, 05:24:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don’t know precisely where we went wrong, but naming conventions for action-sports footwear are dismal & bleak harbingers of the coming intellectual apocolypse.
Telford?
Why not?!?
Sounds perfectly at home amongst contemporaries such as Boxly, Farthington, and Murion.
[close]

They're named after British places no? Hence the manchester, bristol, cardiff, cambridge, essex, etc.
[close]

Telford is named after the guy who designed Mike Carroll’s pro model on Vans (and presumably other shoes) or it’s an amazing coincidence
[close]

Telford is a place in England, so it was named after the place from what I recall. Where did you read/hear it was named after the Mike Carrol Vans designer?

Well I just assumed it was an homage after seeing the name of the designer in a skate shoe book.   A guy named Telford designed his first pro model - fell in the trap of “correlation does not equal causation”

emotional_degloving

• Rep: 44
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2024, 06:20:35 PM »
where'd the whole Lakai naming their shoes after towns and cities in the UK- well regarding the Manchester, Telford, Essex and Caimbridge.

Waiting for the day Lakai release the Bolton. Or name them after any other shitty towns.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2024, 06:49:05 PM »
where'd the whole Lakai naming their shoes after towns and cities in the UK- well regarding the Manchester, Telford, Essex and Caimbridge.

Waiting for the day Lakai release the Bolton. Or name them after any other shitty towns.

I hadn’t heard of a soccer/football team associated with Telford, so I thought it was a one off - also the UK convention didn’t seem ironclad - socas and staples and trudgers always seem to be in the mix

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2024, 11:20:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I hadn’t heard of a soccer/football team associated with Telford, so I thought it was a one off - also the UK convention didn’t seem ironclad - socas and staples and trudgers always seem to be in the mix

It was never meant to be every shoe, but early on a few  (or maybe just one?) of the key shoe designers were from/had relations to England, and therefore named many of the Lakai models after towns/cities in the UK: Manchester, Sheffield, Essex, Cardiff, Telford, Brighton, etc.

They've continued the naming trend for nearly all team models over the years. Pro models or pro designed (but not actually the pro's) models often got a non-UK name, though: The Atlantic (Vincent), Trudger (Simon), MJ-1, MJ-2, MJ-3, Carrol 1-5, Carrol Select, MJ 2 Select, etc.
Super Champion Fun Zone

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2024, 02:37:49 AM »

I want the fucking Millwall
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

DanRar009

• Rep: 38
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2024, 04:49:51 AM »
I think lakai is dope but my only complaint is I wish they would make a cupsole that had an actual midsole on it. All of their cups are just rubber outsole with shitty insole tht make my knees hurt

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2024, 07:02:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I want the fucking Millwall

It’ll be a brick

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 13
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2024, 07:13:59 AM »
I think lakai is dope but my only complaint is I wish they would make a cupsole that had an actual midsole on it. All of their cups are just rubber outsole with shitty insole tht make my knees hurt

I want to support Lakai, I really do... but their soles are too hard even though some models seem wide enough in the toebox.

Although, I could say the same thing about almost every other shoe brand. I swear there's like three current shoes that actually work for me.

I like how wide the Griffin is, but I can't do a thick, heavy ass shoe especially when it's vulc.

The duality of man.

Personally I  find Lakais to be too thin/flimsy, I'm more in line with Dan on this one

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2024, 07:43:29 AM »
The Sheffield was, if I recall correctly as I was drinking a lot, kind of but not quite a Danny Brady pro model. One of those “not a pro model but inspired by and endorsed by” things. So that could explain that one.

I just want Manchesters again. Or I want to go back to 2005.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

manuduncan

• Rep: 17
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2024, 08:41:58 AM »
I was in Tokyo recently and was stunned by the number of dudes wearing Lakai. They were otherwise dressed pretty trendy by 2023 skateboarder standards. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a US resurgence considering how many talented Japanese skateboarders have been getting coverage lately

kyonosuke makes them look good

also cody chapman looks good skating his signature model/colorway but lakais in general aren't any better or cheaper than cons fastbreaks which is my go to shoe

marcusbutler

• Rep: 31
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2024, 08:55:59 AM »
They peeked in the vulc era. Kind of lacking in the cupsole era happening now. Their rubber sucks. Both vulc(griffin) and cup(atlantic) are soft and wear quickly. Their silhouettes are screaming early 2010's. The terrace and the chapmans are some good additions to the line.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

DanRar009

• Rep: 38
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2024, 10:48:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
I want to support Lakai, I really do... but their soles are too hard even though some models seem wide enough in the toebox.

Although, I could say the same thing about almost every other shoe brand. I swear there's like three current shoes that actually work for me.

I like how wide the Griffin is, but I can't do a thick, heavy ass shoe especially when it's vulc.
[close]

The duality of man.

Personally I  find Lakais to be too thin/flimsy, I'm more in line with Dan on this one

Exactly. Last pair I skated were the Telfords with the Atlantic sole, there’s no way I should ever be able to roll up a cupsole skate shoe like it’s a vulc sock with a flimsy upper. I want my skate shoes to be built tough and protect my joints and what not. The whole no break in time skate right out of the box is never a good thing in my opinion.

Rick Trapasso

• Rep: 13
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2024, 10:56:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

The duality of man.

[close]

Exactly. Last pair I skated were the Telfords with the Atlantic sole, there’s no way I should ever be able to roll up a cupsole skate shoe like it’s a vulc sock with a flimsy upper. I want my skate shoes to be built tough and protect my joints and what not. The whole no break in time skate right out of the box is never a good thing in my opinion.

agree

I'm not sure I'll ever recover from the re release of the telford.

I was so excited for that damn shoe.

I Can't Think

• Rep: 31
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2024, 04:34:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Honestly I've found that the lakai shoes, and also the sole tech shoes I've skated tend to last me longer than big brands, which are the terraces and winos (vulc and cup) respectively. Adidas has been inconsistent, the cupsole puigs are amazing, but when I got some ADV sambas cause I fell for the samba hype they got shredded so fast. Nike's have always been meh in my experience when it comes to durability. NB is the exception and has been really damn good though, durability of the 1010s and 808s has been solid, although I found the 1010s were a bit inconsistent depending on the colorway and what materials, suede etc. they used for that specific colorway. Anyways NB is the only big company where I agree about the quality.

I think the issue is that the only shoes I really like the design off the top of my head from Lakai are the terraces, manchesters (at least the older ones) and telfords. As long as we're talking other core companies, for emerica it's the gamma, the KSL and the wino. In both brands cases everything else just sorta blends together and looks too similar, or doesn't look like something that'd really appeal to current skater sensibilities.

So the issue then is if I want a quality skate shoe with a design I like, when I step into a skateshop, NB presents me with a lot more options that look appealing. Beyond that, while NB is the only big company that I've personally found to be good quality overall, the bigger companies just have more designs that are more broadly appealing to current skater sensibilities, so when people walk into a skateshop, they're gonna gravitate to those brands more often since there's more likely to provide a shoe that's appealing, cool, etc.

Anyways, despite all that, I can't speak for their other shoes but the Lakai Terrace is probably my favorite skate shoe in recent memory. I cannot stress this enough, these shoes specifically fucking rule. Only issue I have is there aren't some hidden lace loops, which I think they used to do fairly often on shoes a long time ago? And they stitching for the panel with the lace loops looks like it'll start to separate for me near the first few lace loops. But this happens with every shoe I skate with paneling like that. Again, great fucking shoe, feels the best to skate in moment to moment for me. I hate ripping laces, but these are one of the few shoes that feel so nice to skate in moment to moment that it overcomes that annoyance for me. Ok rant over, try the terrace if you're curious lol
[close]

What’s the Terrace sizing like compared to the Wino slip cups?

I usually size down with winos since I can't really tighten them as a slip on, that way when they loosen/stretch out more over time they still fit my foot and don't feel loose/floppy later, but with terraces I go true to size

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2024, 04:45:14 PM »
The Terrace fits TTS. The leather colors are a bit snug at first but they break out as you skate them. It’s a really good replacement for the original Telford release XLK sole for those that don’t like the new XLK sole.