Author Topic: Tiny Truck Thread (≤7" axle)  (Read 18661 times)

artskool

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Tiny Truck Thread (≤7" axle)
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2020, 11:10:34 AM »
That's rad! I've been waiting for them to re-stock those. Where'd you find it?

I ordered one the day they went up on the site. The turning feel is unreal. Those roller-skate trucks are definitely worth going out of your way to track down.

Fuuuuuuu

• Rep: -6
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2020, 07:39:21 PM »
What is the best way to patch the old hardware holes when making a polarizer?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2020, 06:26:56 AM »
What is the best way to patch the old hardware holes when making a polarizer?

Just grip over them

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2021, 07:01:48 AM »
Just wanted to give an update for the people who gave me advice on my old Indy 109s that didn’t turn.

They came off a freestyle deck, and the bushings were like you said, inverted.

I took them off, and didn’t do anything with them until my daughter asked for a skateboard for her birthday.

I dusted off the Indys, put in some Bones mediums, and holy shit, they are NICE. 

If my daughter doesn’t end up using the board I made her, I’m happy ripping around on it.

Thanks for the advice.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2022, 02:48:15 PM »

Tiny magic carpet. Put these 5.75” trucks on a zip zinger. The edges of the wheel contact patch is 5”.
The old board is a 70’s fiberglass deck with 11” wheelbase so was pretty unrideable. Put Bones bushings on but the trucks don’t want to turn. A flexy deck probably helps that. Keeping an eye out for narrower rollerskate trucks.

animalflesh

« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2022, 02:54:29 PM »
Gnar for sticker 👀

braksabbath

« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2022, 07:17:10 PM »

Winter project mini truck madness. The Suregrip vintage trucks are sold out everywhere and after reading this thread it sounds like everything else available turns like shit. The Stage 11 109’s turn great so those are next if this works out. Experimented on these longboard trucks I groundscored. Cut them down wider than I want so I have a second shot later. This was as close as i could get. The Pig tool threader got a bevel going but couldn’t cut a thread. Need a bench vice and a better threader. Open to any tips

Nvm got it going
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 08:25:51 PM by braksabbath »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2022, 12:53:36 AM »
Truthfully, don’t believe all the hype about turning.

I found a pair of no-name Penny board trucks in the bushes near a skatepark.

Cleaned them up a bit, but left the original bushings on, and they have a beautiful turn, I let everyone at the park give my ‘lil wiggler’ a go and they fucking love it.

I think there’s of unmined gold in cheap trucks, especially if you know how to customize them. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:31:19 AM by cucktard »

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2022, 05:04:38 AM »
Any of you guys nab a new polariser? Neil Blender has made a proper Heated Wheel site. Formica polarizers!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2022, 07:52:56 PM »
@braksabbath you can get them from roller skate shops online or suregrip. You might have to buy the hanger and baseplates separately but it’s still just as cheap or cheaper. I did that last summer. If I can find the shops/prices I’ll post links.
@cucktard I 100% back this statement. I have a set of $11 pennyboard trucks that I swapped the bushings out on and chopped the top down. Those things turn better than anything I’ve ridden(sorry Ace fans. WAAAAAY better than the 00’s I have).
@radcunt Tried to gab one but in the hour from when they went up they were sold out. Manual labor career s suck for grabbing stuff when it drops.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 106
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2022, 01:35:54 AM »
I've got a 27x5.75 70s fibreglass deck, not a polarizer, but Blender has ridden the same deck. Don't have Suregrips, use ACS 430s, which are equivalent sized roller skate trucks, and I find that 70s Tracker mid trucks are a better fit with 55mm, 78a OJ mini Juice. Less tippy feeling, and gives a nicer carve on banks. The trucks on the smaller 24" Penny boards are a similar size.

The roller skate trucks were never designed for skateboards, and only ridden by young, short kids. Bennetts were the first trucks designed for skateboards and were a bit wider to give a bit more stability. Don't have a set.

braksabbath

« Reply #131 on: January 14, 2022, 01:24:56 PM »

Zip Zinger on 109’s
Venom bushings 88/83a. Factory 2nds $5 a pair.
Powell Rat Bones 60mm 85a, offset and turned inward so the axle and wheel edge are flush.

These bushings kick ass. Smooth and surfy turning. Chonky wheels are heavy but ride better than the skinny Krooked zinger wheels.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2022, 06:22:58 PM »
I've got a 27x5.75 70s fibreglass deck, not a polarizer, but Blender has ridden the same deck. Don't have Suregrips, use ACS 430s, which are equivalent sized roller skate trucks, and I find that 70s Tracker mid trucks are a better fit with 55mm, 78a OJ mini Juice. Less tippy feeling, and gives a nicer carve on banks. The trucks on the smaller 24" Penny boards are a similar size.

The roller skate trucks were never designed for skateboards, and only ridden by young, short kids. Bennetts were the first trucks designed for skateboards and were a bit wider to give a bit more stability. Don't have a set.

Yeah roller skate trucks are wild. Amazing how well they work

McSorely

• Rep: 0
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2022, 05:08:52 AM »
Anyone know which pivot cups would work best with old Chicago roller skate trucks? Heated Wheel Polarizer setup planned and gathering needed parts...

fernando the skater

« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2022, 10:50:54 AM »
Pretty certain it would be the Sure Grip roller skate pivots. The standard skateboard truck "Indy" pivots are the wrong size. Have you seen this Instagram post? Looks like the standard black Sure Grips pivots to me, but I could be wrong, it's happened before.

McSorely

• Rep: 0
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2022, 11:55:34 PM »
Thanks will have a look at the Sure Grip ones!

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2022, 06:27:18 PM »
has anyone tried a high end roller skate plate? curious as to how they perform... Suregrip Avenger looks interesting.

Still struggling to find a source for cheap roller skate trucks...

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »
has anyone tried a high end roller skate plate? curious as to how they perform... Suregrip Avenger looks interesting.

Still struggling to find a source for cheap roller skate trucks...

ebay. there's always someone liquidating a full roller rink's worth of vintage sure grips and/or chicago rental skates. usually you can get a pair for <$75 and that equals 4 trucks. you just gotta hack them apart yourself.

thanksgiving

« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2022, 11:28:37 PM »
how did you guys mount sure grip/vintage trucks to your deck?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2022, 07:16:04 AM »
Got some Penny trucks for next to nothing. I swapped out whatever was in them for some old Ace bushings and washers, and the turn is amazing and way better than the 109s I was running. Highly recommended if you can find a set on the cheap.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2022, 06:04:38 PM »
Got some Penny trucks for next to nothing. I swapped out whatever was in them for some old Ace bushings and washers, and the turn is amazing and way better than the 109s I was running. Highly recommended if you can find a set on the cheap.

I completely agree with you. I’ve got a set on my MPI with some Indy super softs and it’s way better than the pinner I made with some 00 Aces. You can get a set new for like $11.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2022, 08:20:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I completely agree with you. I’ve got a set on my MPI with some Indy super softs and it’s way better than the pinner I made with some 00 Aces. You can get a set new for like $11.

I remember seeing yours a while back and it looked so sick. Love this board so much.

fernando the skater

« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2022, 03:24:17 PM »
Has anyone got one of the formica Heated Wheel Polarizer decks? They've just appeared in UK shops at £85. Not cheap.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2022, 04:18:53 PM »

I found a pair of old ones thrown in the bushes at a skatepark. I took them home, but at the time had no idea why I would. I had no use for them. 

When quarantine first started, I had been watching some of Hewitt‘s insta and decided to make a lil’ polarizer-inspired cruiser.

I actually had some old Indy 109’s from like 35 years ago. Tried them both, but the Pennys actually fucking rip.

And yeah, Bones roughriders are the best.

George Vallore

• Rep: 15
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2022, 05:47:46 AM »
Tiny boards.

thanksgiving

« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2022, 11:21:38 PM »
Has anyone got one of the formica Heated Wheel Polarizer decks? They've just appeared in UK shops at £85. Not cheap.
fun. would for sure recommend, just dont fuck up drilling the holes! id probably cut down an old deck first to see if you like it though as they are definitely pricey for what they are.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 11:29:48 PM by thanksgiving »

fernando the skater

« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
fun. would for sure recommend, just dont fuck up drilling the holes! id probably cut down an old deck first to see if you like it though as they are definitely pricey for what they are.

I've got an old 5.75" 70s fibreglass deck with rollerskate trucks, so I'm already down with how they ride. But I'd like to try the flex and have a look at one before putting down that sort of cash. You got one?

thanksgiving

« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2022, 11:00:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I've got an old 5.75" 70s fibreglass deck with rollerskate trucks, so I'm already down with how they ride. But I'd like to try the flex and have a look at one before putting down that sort of cash. You got one?
yeah, i’ve got one of the hewitt models. they are flat concave, and i drilled it 18.5 axle to axle. going to buy the standard model eventually but i’m not a handy guy and drilling the holes was so stressful i got to wait a bit and enjoy this one

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2022, 04:49:04 PM »
Hangers of unknown origin mated to Mid 90's Grind King base plates... good times!

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #149 on: February 12, 2023, 10:31:05 AM »
Figured I’d dig this up instead of posting in the polarizer thread..

I got some heated wheel trucks and they’re incredible right out the box, stock everything. Comparing them back to my sure grips with bont 78a bushings, the turn is way more fluid. I’ve been down this road before dialing in other trucks and think I need to upgrade the stock pivots cups on the sure grips to something softer. 

Any recommendations?