Author Topic: Tiny Truck Thread (≤7" axle)  (Read 18656 times)

beatifk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 162
Re: Tiny Truck Thread (≤7" axle)
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2020, 11:04:29 AM »
Expand Quote
OK, this is kinda related to this (tiny trucks) but not specifically, but I didn't know where else to post it, so this seems like the best place to ask.

For those who are cutting down old decks to make bootleg Polarizers, are you mounting the trucks in the original positions? I realize that roller skate trucks require re-drilling, but how about the fore/aft positions of the trucks? Keep em the same?
[close]

till now I never re-drilled anything. Maybe I should?!

TRACKER TRUCKS - MIDTRACK DART 85MM (6.1" AXLE)

Yes, but I'm interested in using the rollerskate trucks and not tiny skate trucks. Like the ones used by heated wheels.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2020, 11:14:36 AM »
What are the pros/cons of roller skate trucks vs small skate trucks? Anyone feel like explaining? These setups are really interesting to me

beatifk

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »
What are the pros/cons of roller skate trucks vs small skate trucks? Anyone feel like explaining? These setups are really interesting to me

I haven't found a skateboard truck that is as small as that Sure Grip roller skate trucks 4.5". Even those half tracker trucks are 5.25". If I build one of these types of boards I really want it to be extreme and in my obsessive mind .75" on trucks will make a difference.

But that's based on internet research and not on any actual real-world experience, so maybe I'm a total idiot.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2020, 11:39:44 AM »
Oh I completely agree with that drive: further, ‘extreme’. If you are gonna do it then do it. and this is why I’ve got too many specific completes, extra bicycle parts, and more than one type of sock: this feeling for the ‘right’ item and a certain time.

In my mind the roller skate trucks turn more sharply, which seems to be the reason for being with these setups. Plus it’s different and I need to hunt shit down so that’s hype too

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2020, 07:41:23 PM »
Expand Quote
OK, this is kinda related to this (tiny trucks) but not specifically, but I didn't know where else to post it, so this seems like the best place to ask.

For those who are cutting down old decks to make bootleg Polarizers, are you mounting the trucks in the original positions? I realize that roller skate trucks require re-drilling, but how about the fore/aft positions of the trucks? Keep em the same?
[close]

the chop job on the old deck looks great! clean + symmetrical. did you use a penny or similar deck as a template?

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2020, 09:55:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
looks like bones rough riders are tested + approved based on the blender/hewitt stuff i've checked out
the mini logo a-cut 90a in 55mm could be nice too!
[close]

Won't the 90a wheels be lacking in a bit of grip? And given that these things are all about tight turns, it's the grip of soft 78a/80a wheels that you want.
[close]

not sure that grip will be an issue with mini logo 90a, but it may make the board too tippy since they're not so wide.
56mm Mini Logo 90a are 32.5mm wide
56mm Keyframe 87a are 35mm wide
56mm Rough Riders 80a are 39mm wide
55mm Mini Logo AWOL 80a are 40mm wide (and only about $25)

i have a set of the 90a mini logo in 53mm and width is 32mm, i'm going to give them a shot today if the rain holds off.
Keep you all posted!

the minilogo a-cut 90a grip nicely, but a width of 32mm is way too skinny, even on the 66mm hanger/5.35" axle trackers.
couldn't imagine how tippy they would be on the sure grip trucks w/ 4.5" axles.
i'm going to grab a set of the minilogo awols, same exact thing as rough riders, half the price.

oldfart

• Rep: 18
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2020, 02:20:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

the chop job on the old deck looks great! clean + symmetrical. did you use a penny or similar deck as a template?
thanks.  :) I didn't use wooden template that time. I think I cut those and a stack of similar boards at my dads place some years ago at xmas. As far as I remember I found some pdfs of old shapes somewhere online. they were too big though. So I resized them in photoshop, shorter nose, shorter tail etc. printed it on paper, cut the paper and put it on the board.  8) Maybe that's the page I got the pdfs from: https://www.boardpusher.com/help/design-tips-templates

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2020, 03:27:54 AM »

This is my tiny truck set-up. It's an old 70s fibreglass deck (27x5.75) similar to the Bahne that Blender rides. ACS430 trucks: these are off a roller-skate, though they were used for skateboards as well. Bones 78a roller-skate wheels: surprisingly fast, side-set so the bearings are on the hanger, and i've got some washers to widen it a tad. Independent standard bushings: I think they're around 88a?

Overall it's ok, but not that great. It's a bit too tippy, and doesn't turn as well as a slalom deck with a wedged Tracker RTX in front. I think I'll try some softer bushings to improve the turn, and I've got some old Tracker mid tracks which'll make it more stable.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2020, 05:54:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
looks like bones rough riders are tested + approved based on the blender/hewitt stuff i've checked out
[close]

Won't the 90a wheels be lacking in a bit of grip? And given that these things are all about tight turns, it's the grip of soft 78a/80a wheels that you want.
[close]

not sure that grip will be an issue with mini logo 90a, but it may make the board too tippy since they're not so wide.

i have a set of the 90a mini logo in 53mm and width is 32mm, i'm going to give them a shot today if the rain holds off.
Keep you all posted!
[close]

the minilogo a-cut 90a grip nicely, but a width of 32mm is way too skinny, even on the 66mm hanger/5.35" axle trackers.
i'm going to grab a set of the minilogo awols, same exact thing as rough riders, half the price.

This sounds interesting, I have a hard time getting the rough riders 56mm in white here... Are they the same thing as in poured in the same factory or "the same thing"? I had the 90a wheels before and they were slow as sssshit. It turned me off the mini logo thing a little bit. I saw the awols has a core though so that usually helps a lot.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2020, 09:34:33 AM »

yes, went for a 'normal' wheelbase, not drastically long or short.
i mounted the trucks into the original holes closest to the nose/tail.
then i drilled new deck holes to accommodate the old school hole pattern of the tracker halftracks, making the new deck wheelbase 13.625" (original deck was antihero eagle 8.25")
i followed the size blender listed on his heated wheel website blog, and cut the deck to 6" wide and 27.25" long.
it has a 3.75" nose and 4.75" tail
the axle/axle wheelbase is a hair under 17" (not too different from my reg set ups)

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Keep you all posted!
[close]

[close]

This sounds interesting, I have a hard time getting the rough riders 56mm in white here... Are they the same thing as in poured in the same factory or "the same thing"? I had the 90a wheels before and they were slow as sssshit. It turned me off the mini logo thing a little bit. I saw the awols has a core though so that usually helps a lot.

From info on the bones/skate one website, looks like literally same wheel. Same factory, same ATF urethane formula, same duro, width.... only diff is 1mm in height
and minilogo just has the simple graphic
check it out....
https://www.skateone.com/bones-wheels-atf-rough-rider-skateboard-wheels-wranglers-56mm-80a-4pk-white
https://www.skateone.com/mini-logo-awol-skateboard-wheels-55mm-80a-white-4pk

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2020, 10:13:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

then i drilled new deck holes to accommodate the old school hole pattern of the tracker halftracks, making the new deck wheelbase 13.625" (original deck was antihero eagle 8.25")
i followed the size blender listed on his heated wheel website blog, and cut the deck to 6" wide and 27.25" long.
the axle/axle wheelbase is a hair under 17" (not too different from my reg set ups)

Thanks for the specs! Did you jigsaw an old board (sounds like it) and then mount upside down?

beatifk

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2020, 10:34:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Cool, thanks!

beatifk

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2020, 10:35:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Keep you all posted!
[close]

[close]

[close]

From info on the bones/skate one website, looks like literally same wheel. Same factory, same ATF urethane formula, same duro, width.... only diff is 1mm in height
check it out....
https://www.skateone.com/bones-wheels-atf-rough-rider-skateboard-wheels-wranglers-56mm-80a-4pk-white

The cores look very different to me. Doesn't look like the same wheel. But I guess it's worth a try.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2020, 01:18:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Keep you all posted!
[close]

[close]

[close]

check it out....
[close]

The cores look very different to me. Doesn't look like the same wheel. But I guess it's worth a try.

yeah, good call. i was looking at the overall specs + descriptions.
i'm willing to go the cost effective route for these wheels. not going to be doing ledge tricks on this set up....

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2020, 02:02:36 PM »
ML is the budget line, I think it's all made in China vs Santa Barbara.
Core def looks smaller, formula is probably different. Might be 2mm narrower iirc
Haven't tried them but wonder how both feel compared to Soft Slides? GSlides?
ML is usually $5-10 cheaper than rough riders, think the cheapest I've seen is $25. Anyone got better deals?
If someone's ridden both.. How's the grip/slide? Durability about the same?

https://www.sector9.com/collections/wheels/products/58mm-78a-wheels-4-light-green
Here's a softie with an offset core. No hard plastic core though

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/clt/d/long-beach-flex-skateboard/7100618994.html
Check out this Z-Flex. Skinny, square wheels and skate trucks

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/spo/d/la-mesa-carvestik-carveboard-skateboard/7100637554.html
Pics^
**A trick to get more carve using an old deck would be to mount a truck on the tail. Or both the nose and tail.
I don't think I've ever seen it done just to the front truck but if you want carvier up from that's the way.
Same as with angled risers, this changes your kingpin and pivot angles for more turn. Adds about 20-24 degrees depending on the kicks. Most kingpins are 15* from vertical..
RKP trucks are usually 45*, same for the carvier rollerskate trucks

https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/skateboards
Some 70's shapes here. I like the rounded tail on the oval shape. Found an old deck to cut up..

https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/skateboards/products/g-s-modified-60-s-surfskate
Blender designed
28” SurfSkate - 6” wide and 20” Wheelbase
Suregrip trucks, Powell 55mm 80a, looks like an offset wheel shape

https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/skateboards/products/protail-500-reissue-deck-with-diecut-griptape
28" X 8" WHEEL BASE: 13 3/4"  8 PLY
Probably not flexy so wanted to show it

https://gordonandsmith.com/collections/skateboards/products/38-fibreflex-pintail
Boingo boingo. There's a 44" version too
Only other new fiberglass deck I've seen is Sector 9
https://www.sector9.com/products/cavern-cutback-deck
37.5” x 8.365”, 24.3" wb

https://www.amazon.com/Sure-Grip-Vintage-Skateboard-Trucks/dp/B07DP6TW3P
1 set left! There were 5 sets yesterday or the day before..

If you drove around socal..
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/santa-ana-rare-sector-9-fiberglass/7097043342.html
$20 fiberglass Sector 9' 36.5" x 8.5"
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/d/san-diego-rollerskates-riedell-sure/7100610109.html
$15 for 2 plates, 4 trucks..
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/d/san-diego-mayhem-skateboard/7101932685.html
$40 Penny knockoff? 22.25" x 6"
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/d/penny-board-longboard-skateboard/7091531710.html
2 penny's for $30 each?
https://ventura.craigslist.org/tag/d/simi-valley-mini-skateboards-kazam/7101372087.html
$25 penny clone. Sick wheels!!
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/d/corona-voyager-electric-skateboard/7100444837.html
$250 electric penny death
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 03:19:46 PM by legion »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2020, 07:54:11 AM »
Shit yeah, finally!  Thanks for tipping me off about this thread, legion.  I made my own Polarizer out of an old Krooked and got an actual Heated Wheel Polarizer off Blender a few years ago.  Happy to share any info from my obsession with them.  I poured over every detail for ages and loved it, figuring out what kind of rollerskate trucks to get, chopping some, buying some sure grips (which are great) and picking up tips from Blender & Hewitt.  I dont think it's as precious as I thought, but I was pretty specific with what I wanted and love riding it to this day.  It's small enough to chuck in your luggage, too.

From my experience, it's a few things. Mainly, the geometry of roller skate trucks is made to work on a tiny wheelbase, and when you stretch that one truck over a skateboard length, magic happens.  Deep, rubbery turns that skateboard trucks can't replicate. I've made skinny boards with tiny Trackers and it's completely different.  It's also the width, skateboard trucks barely go that skinny to sit under a 6 inch board with big wheels.  And finally, the link to the past is a nice touch. It's fun riding something that's a modernised version of the first ever skateboards.

If you want to do a 'Polarizer' kind of board, this is the sweet spot from my research / experience;

Trucks - It's gotta be Rollerskate trucks, its one thing Blender insisted on and they're the best fun.  Sure Grip rollerskate trucks work well and can be ordered online, as you've found.

I think I bought the double action hangers with the century baseplates, but these have an 8mm axle with 4.5 inch axle, so it'll fit skateboard bearings & you'll be able to get the wheel nut on properly.  I had to use spacers on a 7mm axle & loctite my nuts on. https://www.skates.com/Sure-Grip-double-action-trucks-Long-Axle-p/pa516tal.htm
If you can find Indy rollerskate trucks and bring yourself to cut them in half, they're ment to be great.

Bushings - Blenders recommendation was Powerdyne Hop Up Kit Bushings all round, or in the front and top rear, with a Bones Medium bottom rear. Never questioned it, and it turns like a dream.

Wheels - Bones Rough Riders & Bones Swiss Super 6.  You want this thing to go as fast as possible. Rough Riders grip really well, but also have a good breaking point which is really fun when you're flying on these.  Pulling a fast turn in the space of a single parking spot is the best.

Size - 6 inches wide x 27 1/4 Long.  Nose and Tail dips are about 2.5 inches long

Wheelbase - I did at about 17 3/4 inches axle to axle, but 18 / 19 might work better.  From photos, dudes push them to the tail & nose dips, pretty much.

Mine is a 6 ply, so has a bit of flex, but it's not a tonne more than my fake one.  You could cut channels down a few ply if you want more flex.

Oh yeah, and you set it up 'upside down'.  I've done them with the concave up and it sucks. With a bit of convex your foot hugs it and you roll into turns.  The dipped tail & nose stop you from wanting to lift the wheels.  With the concave up, it just feels uncomfortable and tempts you to kickturn which ain't no fun.  The feeling of going as fast as you can on such a fast board that can turn on a dime and just going from a long smooth turns into uncomfortably tight turns is the best.  Follow Peter Hewitt on Instagram and you'll want one, he's a wizard on em.

I wanna make some more homemade ones, would love to do a fibreglass one.

Here's some current pics

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 08:35:34 AM by radcunt »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2020, 08:08:52 AM »
Shit yeah, finally!  Thanks for tipping me off about this thread, legion.  I made my own Polarizer out of an old Krooked and got an actual Heated Wheel Polarizer off Blender a few years ago.  Happy to share any info from my obsession with them.

Expand Quote
[close]

From my experience, it's a few things. Mainly, the geometry of roller skate trucks is made to work on a tiny wheelbase, and when you stretch that one truck over a skateboard length, magic happens.  Deep, rubbery turns that skateboard trucks can't replicate. I've made skinny boards with tiny Trackers and it's completely different.  It's also the width, skateboard trucks barely go that skinny to sit under a 6 inch board with big wheels.  And finally, the link to the past is a nice touch. It's fun riding something that's a modernised version of the first ever skateboards.

If you want to do a 'Polarizer' kind of board, the sweet spot from my research is this;

Trucks - Sure Grips rollerskate trucks work well and can be ordered online.  This is a link to an 8mm axle with 4.5 inch axle, so it'll fit skateboard bearings & you'll be able to get the nut on properly.  I had to use spacers on a 7mm axle & loctite my nuts on.  If you can find Indy rollerskate trucks and bring yourself to cut them in half, they're ment to be great.

Bushings - Blenders recommendation was Powerdyne Hop Up Kit Bushings all round, or in the front and top rear, with a Bones Medium bottom rear. Never questioned it, and it turns like a dream.

Wheels - Bones Rough Riders & Bones Swiss Super 6.  You want this thing to go as fast as possible. 

Width - 6 inches wide x 27 1/4 Long.  Nose and Tail dips are about 2.5 inches

Wheelbase - I did at about 17 3/4 inches axle to axle, but 18 / 19 might work better.  From photos, dudes push them to the tail & nose dips, pretty much.

Oh yeah, and you set it up 'upside down'.  I've done them with the concave up and it sucks. With a bit of convex your foot hugs it and you roll into turns.  The dipped tail & nose stop you from wanting to lift the wheels.  With the concave up, it just feels uncomfortable and tempts you to kickturn which ain't no fun.  The feeling of going as fast as you can on such a fast board that can turn on a dime and just going from a long smooth turns into uncomfortably tight turns is the best.  Follow Peter Hewitt on Instagram and you'll want one, he's a wizard on em.

I wanna make some more homemade ones, would love to do a fibreglass one.

HOT POST
thank you!

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2020, 07:58:07 PM »
Radcunt, you are indeed a rad cunt ;D
Thanks for the info and pics. I've got a couple questions.

17.75" axle to axle is around 14" wb on the deck?
I'm thinking diy..
Most skate trucks have 10 degree kingpin angle so that should favor shorter wb.
15* would be carver but I've only found 1 roller skate option there.

Would harder wheels (92-97a) be a lil too crazy? Breaking into slides mid-curve?

Upside down concave? Hearing what Neil said I sold, I believe it..
But I have trouble committing to cutting out a shape without a tail. I don't know what I'd do if I cant get up a curb.
Upside down is definitely the way to go?

Flex.. I've got 2 old decks to choose from, Cliche keystone that's super flexy and an old 90's deck that's still pretty solid (it might actually be early BBS wood).
Use the flexy Cliche for a Heated Wheel clone?
And use the stiffer deck to try something with a tail?

I'm still trying to see how cheaply I can do this for with spare parts or I'd jump on those Suregrips for $30.
I'm pretty sure the Powerdyne Thrust is 15*.
I'm hoping it would fit Indy baseplates better than 10* stuff.
https://wickedskatewear.com/shop/ols/products/thrust-truck $12 + tax, free shipping

How about cutting down an old snowboard for a really flexy fiberglass deck?
This Burton diy blank got me thinking about that.
https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/burton-diy-throwback-snowboard/W20-198561.html
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:02:11 PM by legion »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2020, 08:26:25 PM »

Here's some current pics

This is amazing. I don't need to be sidetracked by anything else but this Polarizer concept is bloody beautiful.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2020, 08:51:11 PM »
Expand Quote

Here's some current pics

[close]

This is amazing. I don't need to be sidetracked by anything else but this Polarizer concept is bloody beautiful.

I feel the exact same way

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2020, 09:37:41 PM »
17.75" axle to axle is around 14" wb on the deck?
I'm thinking diy..
Most skate trucks have 10 degree kingpin angle so that should favor shorter wb.
15* would be carver but I've only found 1 roller skate option there.

These things are wheel down carvers for sure.  Wheelbase is definitely a personal taste thing with these, but i'm just going off what Blender & Hewitt do.  Hewitt looks a tad shorter than blender.  Deck Wheelbase depends on if you cut your own trucks or not, but i'll measure it up later and let you know.

Would harder wheels (92-97a) be a lil too crazy? Breaking into slides mid-curve?

Yeah, they'd be no fun I reckon.  The easy speed of the Rough Riders and sick bearings are a dream, like a little rocket sled.  So much fun.  Start with Rough Riders and see how you go, or chuck on some harder wheels and see how you like it.  There's no actual rules, just guides and tips depending on the experience you want.  I stuck as close to what Blender did just so I could see what it was all about, and it really works.

Upside down concave? Hearing what Neil said I sold, I believe it..
But I have trouble committing to cutting out a shape without a tail. I don't know what I'd do if I cant get up a curb.  Upside down is definitely the way to go?

If you want a Polarizer, that's the deal.  Of course, it's just an invented constraint / change for feel and comfort.  Dont think of this as a normal skateboard, it's an experience to itself and way more fun if you commit to its insane rules.  Try it both ways, and you'll be sold with concave down, I promise.  With Rough Riders you can blast up a bunch of stuff.  Also, one of the 'rules' is to screw the trucks in.  You shouldnt really be doing anything that'll rip out the screws, but horses for courses.  I use screws from Bones rails as they grip like heck.

Flex.. I've got 2 old decks to choose from, Cliche keystone that's super flexy and an old 90's deck that's still pretty solid (it might actually be early BBS wood).
Use the flexy Cliche for a Heated Wheel clone?
And use the stiffer deck to try something with a tail?

Yep, sounds good, go with the flex.  Boards that a pretty heavily slid out on the deck let it flex a bit more too.  My fake Polarizer is pretty stiff, but still super fun.

I'm still trying to see how cheaply I can do this for with spare parts or I'd jump on those Suregrips for $30.
I'm pretty sure the Powerdyne Thrust is 15*.
I'm hoping it would fit Indy baseplates better than 10* stuff.
https://wickedskatewear.com/shop/ols/products/thrust-truck $12 + tax, free shipping

See if you can find some old rollerskates with some Chicago or Sure Grips. Keep an eye on thrift shops etc.  I got some Sure Grip rollerskates off ebay for $10 and cut them down.  Then you also get the stopper at the front, which is a cool vibe haha.

How about cutting down an old snowboard for a really flexy fiberglass deck?
This Burton diy blank got me thinking about that.
https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/burton-diy-throwback-snowboard/W20-198561.html

That's a sick idea! Might be too flexy, but who knows!  Give it a shot!  Dunno if they'd fall apart once cut though.

The fun part for me was trying to replicate Blenders Polarizer to see how it felt, and then going from there.  My original DIY now has small Spitfire Classics on it, but it's just too unstable.  I had it tail up for a while too, but its just not as much fun for some reason. 

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2020, 09:42:35 PM »

Yeah, the whole concept is based off modernising & refining the idea of the first skateboards made by chucking rollerskate trucks on planks. It's fun as shit.  If you have access to a good, flowy skate park without coping, these things blaze on them. 

With the actual Heated Wheel decks, Blender seems pretty particular about the make of them, and you can tell.  They're a beautifully designed board, it's just a pity he doesn't make many of them.  Took me a couple of years to get one.  He got this run done, and all the wooden ones I think, at Watson Laminates.  I also got a vert board off him, they're lovely decks. 

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2020, 07:10:31 AM »
Anybody have experience on Indy 109s? I have a set in great condition on an old 80’s Kevin Harris deck, and I’m thinking about trying them out.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2020, 07:39:03 AM »
Anybody have experience on Indy 109s? I have a set in great condition on an old 80’s Kevin Harris deck, and I’m thinking about trying them out.

If they're from the 80s they're probably be 101s, a tad narrower. They turn fine, and were used by slalomers back in the day.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2020, 01:59:43 AM »
Thank you for the info. I’m definitely going to use them. 

This is the first stage of my lil wiggler

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2020, 08:26:02 PM »
If anyones interested in the whole Polarizer thing and why the boards are convex etc, here's a good interview with Neil & Grant Brittain

https://jgrantbrittainphotos.com/blogs/behind-the-lens-j-grant-brittain-talks-skate-photography/i-talked-to-neil-blender-recently-about-his-polarizer-decks-family-affair-and-the-fact-brand-arkitip-shirt-we-collaborated-on

G: Yeah. Hey, what’s with the Polarizer?

N: Polarizers are hot, dude. It’s basically a skateboard. It’d be like if skateboarding continued without anything getting wider.  Like when roller skates came out, that’s how it happened. People cut up roller skates. That’s all we’re doing. And now with all the good equipment, the good urethanes, it makes it so rad. The fast wheels, the bearings, the bushings, it’s all about bushings, dude— and pivot bushings! It all ties together.

G: Do they have precision bearings?

N: Yeah! You can make them without them if you want. Just get an older truck and use the bearings, but it’s like, this is kind… it’s a thrill. It’s actually a little bit scary when you learn to ride these and roll in with them in situations, so it’s really fun.

G: What’s the deal with the downturned nose and stuff.

N: It was from years of trying to figure out what board to ride and I finally had this Paul Schmitt board. I finally looked at it and thought, wow, this has the right distance between the kicks to put this…because usually it’s too close together. If your trucks are too close it’s bad. Anyways, I cut that board up and I turned it upside down, because, and this is another reason – I found a board at a thrift store. A hard, oak board in Ohio when I lived there and it had convex. The top was rounded…it was just from sitting by the pool, it looked like. I’d always thought about convex feeling rad on your foot and it turned out that it’s the best way for these boards. It makes it really comfortable on your feet, I have big feet and it’s like, the boards are 6 inches wide. So, it’s like, why would you need concave? And why do you need a kicktail? You don’t need either of them.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2020, 12:21:14 AM »
When I put mine together I flipped the deck polarizer style, but didn’t care for it.

The concave on mine is mellow, but I like the pockets it creates. But I suppose if you had huge Hobbit feet like Neil, you wouldn’t fit the concave

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2020, 01:50:54 AM »
When I put mine together I flipped the deck polarizer style, but didn’t care for it.

The concave on mine is mellow, but I like the pockets it creates. But I suppose if you had huge Hobbit feet like Neil, you wouldn’t fit the concave

Yeah personal taste. I love the feeling on my foot gripping over the board, really feels like you roll into the turns and makes it feel looser. The concave yo just made it feel like my feet are on the edges of the board.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2020, 09:09:18 PM »
hello folks. received the sure-grip trucks + bones rough riders to set up a true polarizer. this will be a good quarantine project since the local park has been fenced up and the rain is non-stop anyway.

the trucks have 4.5" wide axles. there's enough room to do 4 speed rings, which is needed to keep the wheels from rubbing. will do 3 rings between hanger/bearing + 1 between bearing/nut.
i have an old deck on hand, and will use the same 6" x 27.25" template from my earlier polarizer-esque project (with the old tracker halftrack 66mm)
have to increase the diameter of the bolt holes on the sure-grip plates. will share final pics once it's set up.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 09:12:22 PM by hillbilly shifty »