Author Topic: Tiny Truck Thread (≤7" axle)  (Read 18465 times)

hillbilly shifty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
Re: Tiny Truck Thread (≤7" axle)
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2020, 09:19:29 PM »
Shit yeah, finally!  Thanks for tipping me off about this thread, legion.  I made my own Polarizer out of an old Krooked and got an actual Heated Wheel Polarizer off Blender a few years ago.  Happy to share any info from my obsession with them.  I poured over every detail for ages and loved it, figuring out what kind of rollerskate trucks to get, chopping some, buying some sure grips (which are great) and picking up tips from Blender & Hewitt.  I dont think it's as precious as I thought, but I was pretty specific with what I wanted and love riding it to this day.  It's small enough to chuck in your luggage, too.

Expand Quote
What are the pros/cons of roller skate trucks vs small skate trucks? Anyone feel like explaining? These setups are really interesting to me
[close]

From my experience, it's a few things. Mainly, the geometry of roller skate trucks is made to work on a tiny wheelbase, and when you stretch that one truck over a skateboard length, magic happens.  Deep, rubbery turns that skateboard trucks can't replicate. I've made skinny boards with tiny Trackers and it's completely different.  It's also the width, skateboard trucks barely go that skinny to sit under a 6 inch board with big wheels.  And finally, the link to the past is a nice touch. It's fun riding something that's a modernised version of the first ever skateboards.

If you want to do a 'Polarizer' kind of board, this is the sweet spot from my research / experience;

Trucks - It's gotta be Rollerskate trucks, its one thing Blender insisted on and they're the best fun.  Sure Grip rollerskate trucks work well and can be ordered online, as you've found.

I think I bought the double action hangers with the century baseplates, but these have an 8mm axle with 4.5 inch axle, so it'll fit skateboard bearings & you'll be able to get the wheel nut on properly.  I had to use spacers on a 7mm axle & loctite my nuts on. https://www.skates.com/Sure-Grip-double-action-trucks-Long-Axle-p/pa516tal.htm
If you can find Indy rollerskate trucks and bring yourself to cut them in half, they're ment to be great.

Bushings - Blenders recommendation was Powerdyne Hop Up Kit Bushings all round, or in the front and top rear, with a Bones Medium bottom rear. Never questioned it, and it turns like a dream.

Wheels - Bones Rough Riders & Bones Swiss Super 6.  You want this thing to go as fast as possible. Rough Riders grip really well, but also have a good breaking point which is really fun when you're flying on these.  Pulling a fast turn in the space of a single parking spot is the best.

Size - 6 inches wide x 27 1/4 Long.  Nose and Tail dips are about 2.5 inches long

Wheelbase - I did at about 17 3/4 inches axle to axle, but 18 / 19 might work better.  From photos, dudes push them to the tail & nose dips, pretty much.

Mine is a 6 ply, so has a bit of flex, but it's not a tonne more than my fake one.  You could cut channels down a few ply if you want more flex.

Oh yeah, and you set it up 'upside down'.  I've done them with the concave up and it sucks. With a bit of convex your foot hugs it and you roll into turns.  The dipped tail & nose stop you from wanting to lift the wheels.  With the concave up, it just feels uncomfortable and tempts you to kickturn which ain't no fun.  The feeling of going as fast as you can on such a fast board that can turn on a dime and just going from a long smooth turns into uncomfortably tight turns is the best.  Follow Peter Hewitt on Instagram and you'll want one, he's a wizard on em.

I wanna make some more homemade ones, would love to do a fibreglass one.

this is great info! thanks

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2020, 10:02:34 PM »
Not a polarizer, but I made a second mini cruiser out of an old flight deck and put on some old-school Indy 101s.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_cLJv9FdyS/?igshid=m4emz9wv8fai

Very flat feeling, more than the first, but the Indy’s don’t turn. I’ll try changing out the bushings and seeing if that helps.

But I put in the trucks from the first set-up and it carved like a Ginsu
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2020, 01:24:18 AM »

Very flat feeling, more than the first, but the Indy’s don’t turn. I’ll try changing out the bushings and seeing if that helps.

The bushings are set up with the bottom one on the top, this was a freestyle thing to make them turn less. Try it the normal way round, that'll help. They should turn fine.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2020, 01:59:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The bushings are set up with the bottom one on the top, this was a freestyle thing to make them turn less. Try it the normal way round, that'll help. They should turn fine.

Much appreciated, will do that

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »
Grimple grimple

weon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2020, 08:57:48 PM »
Grimple grimple

they still make that grimple shape? i kinda paused my tiny set-up since im still looking/waiting for a deck to use, but this is interesting.

i did get some old 70s trucks off ebay tho. weirdly love the flathead look. listing said hobie super surfer trucks but what do i know. should i assume the bushings are dead and change them before riding?
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Saint Coke

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2020, 10:01:55 PM »
Where could one get a board like that?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2020, 10:25:13 PM »
Not a polarizer, but I made a second mini cruiser out of an old flight deck and put on some old-school Indy 101s.

Those 101s no good?I just got some Stage 11 Made in China 109s and the turn is insane. I believe they still have the Stage 1 geometry like your 109s... maybe your bushings are toast?

« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2020, 11:47:13 PM »

they still make that grimple shape? i kinda paused my tiny set-up since im still looking/waiting for a deck to use, but this is interesting.

i did get some old 70s trucks off ebay tho. weirdly love the flathead look. listing said hobie super surfer trucks but what do i know. should i assume the bushings are dead and change them before riding?

Blender recommends Powerdyne yellow bushings which are 85a, so assuming you're not really heavy or light, try for something around that durometer.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2020, 02:44:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Those 101s no good?I just got some Stage 11 Made in China 109s and the turn is insane. I believe they still have the Stage 1 geometry like your 109s... maybe your bushings are toast?

Someone noticed I had the bushings upside down, and I put them in the right way.

Better, but not the deep turn I’m looking for (at least not compared to my salvaged penny trucks)

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2020, 04:19:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Someone noticed I had the bushings upside down, and I put them in the right way.

Better, but not the deep turn I’m looking for (at least not compared to my salvaged penny trucks)

strap on some rollerskate trucks, it's honestly nuts.

Deo Es

• Rep: 0
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2020, 09:18:33 PM »
Shit yeah, finally!  Thanks for tipping me off about this thread, legion.  I made my own Polarizer out of an old Krooked and got an actual Heated Wheel Polarizer off Blender a few years ago.  Happy to share any info from my obsession with them.  I poured over every detail for ages and loved it, figuring out what kind of rollerskate trucks to get, chopping some, buying some sure grips (which are great) and picking up tips from Blender & Hewitt.  I dont think it's as precious as I thought, but I was pretty specific with what I wanted and love riding it to this day.  It's small enough to chuck in your luggage, too.

Expand Quote
What are the pros/cons of roller skate trucks vs small skate trucks? Anyone feel like explaining? These setups are really interesting to me
[close]

From my experience, it's a few things. Mainly, the geometry of roller skate trucks is made to work on a tiny wheelbase, and when you stretch that one truck over a skateboard length, magic happens.  Deep, rubbery turns that skateboard trucks can't replicate. I've made skinny boards with tiny Trackers and it's completely different.  It's also the width, skateboard trucks barely go that skinny to sit under a 6 inch board with big wheels.  And finally, the link to the past is a nice touch. It's fun riding something that's a modernised version of the first ever skateboards.

If you want to do a 'Polarizer' kind of board, this is the sweet spot from my research / experience;

Trucks - It's gotta be Rollerskate trucks, its one thing Blender insisted on and they're the best fun.  Sure Grip rollerskate trucks work well and can be ordered online, as you've found.

I think I bought the double action hangers with the century baseplates, but these have an 8mm axle with 4.5 inch axle, so it'll fit skateboard bearings & you'll be able to get the wheel nut on properly.  I had to use spacers on a 7mm axle & loctite my nuts on. https://www.skates.com/Sure-Grip-double-action-trucks-Long-Axle-p/pa516tal.htm
If you can find Indy rollerskate trucks and bring yourself to cut them in half, they're ment to be great.

Bushings - Blenders recommendation was Powerdyne Hop Up Kit Bushings all round, or in the front and top rear, with a Bones Medium bottom rear. Never questioned it, and it turns like a dream.

Wheels - Bones Rough Riders & Bones Swiss Super 6.  You want this thing to go as fast as possible. Rough Riders grip really well, but also have a good breaking point which is really fun when you're flying on these.  Pulling a fast turn in the space of a single parking spot is the best.

Size - 6 inches wide x 27 1/4 Long.  Nose and Tail dips are about 2.5 inches long

Wheelbase - I did at about 17 3/4 inches axle to axle, but 18 / 19 might work better.  From photos, dudes push them to the tail & nose dips, pretty much.

Mine is a 6 ply, so has a bit of flex, but it's not a tonne more than my fake one.  You could cut channels down a few ply if you want more flex.

Oh yeah, and you set it up 'upside down'.  I've done them with the concave up and it sucks. With a bit of convex your foot hugs it and you roll into turns.  The dipped tail & nose stop you from wanting to lift the wheels.  With the concave up, it just feels uncomfortable and tempts you to kickturn which ain't no fun.  The feeling of going as fast as you can on such a fast board that can turn on a dime and just going from a long smooth turns into uncomfortably tight turns is the best.  Follow Peter Hewitt on Instagram and you'll want one, he's a wizard on em.

I wanna make some more homemade ones, would love to do a fibreglass one.

Here's some current pics

what do you use for hardware?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2020, 01:52:09 AM »
Screws from bones rails. They’ve got a huge, short thread and grip like heck. Can’t find an equivalent at my local hardware.

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2020, 04:43:48 PM »
4.5" axle sure grip trucks, 56mm bones rough riders, hard luck 6 balls
old deck has mounting holes filled in. top + bottom fully sanded.
paper template sketched out for cutting new shape. 6" x 27.25"

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2020, 04:49:27 PM »

Nice!!!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »

Sick! Red rough riders are so nice. Can’t wait to see it set up.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2020, 11:18:01 AM »

any updates? what are you using to cut your shape?

hillbilly shifty

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2020, 01:12:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

any updates? what are you using to cut your shape?

cut with a handheld jigsaw, and round/sand the edges with a handheld orbital sander.
been delayed with house and yard projects, and then skating my reg setup when i have free time.
thanks for the message, reminder i need to get my act in gear and finish this project!
will share pics soon!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
cutting your own boards is sick fun.  I'd love a router to shave out a ply on some sections on my little Krooked polarizer

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2020, 08:14:37 AM »
This video is a good watch if you're in the polarizer mood.
https://youtu.be/yCv8Sk5gbzg

I'm finishing up a cruiser board that I cut down from a regular deck, but next I'll do a polarizer from an old Creature I don't ride. Probably going to order them sure grip hangers and plates today. I have some old zip zinger wheels that will hopefull work for now, but I may go balls deep and get whatever rollerskate wheels Mr. Blender recommends.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2020, 08:26:15 AM »

I'm finishing up a cruiser board that I cut down from a regular deck, but next I'll do a polarizer from an old Creature I don't ride. Probably going to order them sure grip hangers and plates today. I have some old zip zinger wheels that will hopefull work for now, but I may go balls deep and get whatever rollerskate wheels Mr. Blender recommends.

I’m not going to watch it because I don’t have a good way of making one right now and don’t want to get too revved up.
Shit just ends up looking so sick.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2020, 04:02:58 PM »

56mm rough riders with the best bearings you can afford. You want that thing to frickin fly.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2020, 06:47:47 PM »
Ordered the stupid little suregrip trucks today. Drawing board template now. I'm psyched!

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2020, 08:10:00 PM »
Lol just noticed that video you posted starts with a shot of my Polarizer!

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2020, 07:39:12 AM »
Ordered the stupid little suregrip trucks today. Drawing board template now. I'm psyched!

Where can you get them? I saw they're sold out on amazon and I can't find another website..

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2020, 08:20:40 AM »
skates.com. And there were a couple other promising sites when I googled "rollerskate trucks"

Frank and Fred

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2020, 10:19:29 AM »
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/spo/d/portland-skateboard/7143220732.html

Stage 3 109s? Not mine... But I should be buying them... $50!

Deo Es

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2020, 04:25:43 PM »
Started off by Polarizing this old '70s fiberglass deck I've had since I was a kid ('90s garage sale find). The back truck was always broken so could never skate it (brand is "Pro-Class"). Followed all the info here in this thread and dug around the Blender insta page and the hashtags for confirmation and tips. The fiberglass deck is super flexy and fun. It's got some wood inside but fiberglass all around.

- Sure Grip Century extended 4.5" axles (with 4 - 6 speed rings on the insides of the wheels to give clearance)
- Yellow PowerDyne Hop Up Bushings and Bones Mediums on the bottom
- Bones Super 6 bearings
- Modus axle nuts with the plastic grip - cause with all the speed rings they may still stick out a hair
- Powell Peralta Skate Aid 78a 59mm wheels -- these things grip like crazy. you can take turns going insanely fast, and if you've got your weight right and heavy on the back, you'll pull it off with no powerslides. It's unreal. Ebay had them.

I had to re-drill holes because the Sure Grips were juuust slightly smaller than what was on here. Decided to move the trucks back about 3/4" because there was too much tail happening. Wheelbase ended up being 16 5/8" from axle to axle centers.

If you're looking to bolt the trucks in to the deck check your hardware store. I used #8-32 x 3/4 inch machine screws, some round and some flat head, with #8-32 machine screw hex nuts (they seem about 6mm thick). It's a tight fit, you'll need to hold the nut in place flat against the base of the truck, THEN screw the bolt in through it while you forcefully hold it in place. It will not slide down on to a bolt that you've stuck all the way through like on a skateboard. If you can, drill your hole angle slightly away from the truck towards the board's edge. This made it way easier for me.
And if your trucks and kingpin don't come with a bottom nut I used the 10-1.25 Hex nut/Jam Nuts from my hardware store.

I really wouldn't recommend buying anything from Skates.com or Rollerskates.com (same place). Seems like it's turned in to a scam this year, apparently the SF shopfront shut down a while back. I know it's the top search on google, and you can find a lot of this stuff in one place there, but a lot of people have ordered and paid and never received anything. Some people (myself included) had mysterious charges months later. Check twitter or google reviews. If it works for some people that's great, but I wouldn't risk it ever again. Their phone number goes to a full machine and they don't reply to emails. I tried throughout March and April. Sketchy

I used sk8ratz.com and backalleyskates.com for my top half Trucks (our hangars) and bottom half Hangars (our baseplates), Kingpins and bushings. Email them if you don't see what you're looking for, they can get stuff in. That's how I found the Sure Grip Extended Axles.

Will post my homemade one next

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 10:40:11 AM by Deo Es »

Deo Es

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2020, 04:51:00 PM »
Here's the homegrown. Jigsaw to 6" width, 27.25' long, axle to axle wheelbase ended up being 17.5"
Sanded off 2 plies from the bottom of this old Sour deck. Treated the bottom with stainer and poly to strengthen it because I was worried I'd snap it easy (I'm 183 lbs). Now this thing flexes a little, and it's still incredibly stable.
Same truck and hardware set up as the '70s fiberglass deck, but this time I did Hop up bushings on both the top and bottom of the front truck, and Bones Medium were only on the rear truck bottom (hop up still up top there).
Wheels: Bones ATF Roughriders 80a 59mm

Probably should have done the folded paper thing when shaping, but I just drew straight freehand on the old deck with sharpie and went from there. And the front truck may be slightly crooked, but it doesn't seem to matter when you ride it.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2020, 08:34:18 AM »
I just called skates.com to make sure they were processing the order I placed 2 days ago. A nice lady answered on her cell phone and told me that things are a little slow due to covid, but they are fulfilling orders. She took down my order number and last name and told me she'd confirm things when she got back from the post office.

She said if they don't have the trucks in stock, it takes about a week to get them from suregrip. But they do have some suregrip stock in the warehouse. Apparently they are redoing their website and it will be up and running at the beginning of next week.