Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 107577 times)

doomstation55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #840 on: July 30, 2020, 06:11:14 PM »
A legitimate new trick in skateboarding has not been invented in the past 10 years. A bunch of NBDs. A bunch of combinations of tricks that haven't been done before. But there hasn't been anything invented by someone that was adopted across all the skate industry and has been run in multiple video parts following.

Just curious, what do you think of as being the last new trick the way you define it? Because you could make an argument that any new trick is a combination of something done previously if you tried hard enough and could push this back like 20 years.

Jaqen H Gnar

« Reply #841 on: July 30, 2020, 06:43:07 PM »
2020 sucks

Jaqen H Gnar

« Reply #842 on: July 30, 2020, 07:32:46 PM »
2020s current line up of slap pals that post regularly suck. This place is worse then when gipper was here and that guy was the fucking pits. Fuck you.

TurboVirgin

• Rep: 6
« Reply #843 on: July 30, 2020, 07:45:35 PM »
skateboarding is masculine ballet

lickcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
  • breathcakes
« Reply #844 on: July 30, 2020, 08:38:50 PM »
just rewatched photosynthesis and just don't get it other than the cohesive, solid habitat section. the editing is choppy, uneven, and doesn't commit to any style. there's way too many crooks and handrails and more than half of the tricks feel early 2000s in a bland way (one-ups, not innovation). the 'fashion' is awful - bright t-shirts and baggy pants. a lot of the music is alright, i guess. i grew up in this era so it's not a generational thing. i love mind field and memory screen (haven't seen timecode yet), and i feel they're superior in every single way.

Jaqen H Gnar

« Reply #845 on: July 30, 2020, 09:34:59 PM »
just rewatched photosynthesis and just don't get it other than the cohesive, solid habitat section. the editing is choppy, uneven, and doesn't commit to any style. there's way too many crooks and handrails and more than half of the tricks feel early 2000s in a bland way (one-ups, not innovation). the 'fashion' is awful - bright t-shirts and baggy pants. a lot of the music is alright, i guess. i grew up in this era so it's not a generational thing. i love mind field and memory screen (haven't seen timecode yet), and i feel they're superior in every single way.
Time code is the best alien video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv_tEkJU0-Q

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #846 on: July 30, 2020, 09:40:57 PM »
Unpopular Opinion: All the old timers here should spend less time hating and get off the message boards and go skate. Bunch of whiners

Literally every post you make is either consists of bitching, whining or banning people from SA.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #847 on: July 31, 2020, 02:28:03 AM »
Swooshes make every silhouette they're thrown in uglier than they should be.

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #848 on: July 31, 2020, 03:05:11 AM »
Swooshes make every silhouette they're thrown in uglier than they should be.

i sadly think the other way around. most of all the other logos are horrific. the swoosh's just a swoosh. kind of minimalistic and streamlined.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #849 on: July 31, 2020, 03:09:50 AM »
It's not minimal at all you just love Nike probably. Looks horrible especially on VX fisheye footage.

A big tick with a shoe attached to it. Gross.

peptobismol

« Reply #850 on: July 31, 2020, 03:19:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Unpopular Opinion: All the old timers here should spend less time hating and get off the message boards and go skate. Bunch of whiners
[close]

Literally every post you make is either consists of bitching, whining or banning people from SA.

i would much rather be out skating, especially since its summer. unfortunately, as circumstances would have it, i rolled my ankle, therefore i have no choice but to congregate here.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #851 on: July 31, 2020, 03:41:02 AM »
2020s current line up of slap pals that post regularly suck. This place is worse then when gipper was here and that guy was the fucking pits. Fuck you.

I'm sorry.

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #852 on: July 31, 2020, 06:04:00 AM »
It's not minimal at all you just love Nike probably. Looks horrible especially on VX fisheye footage.

never rode a nike shoe in my life.
I just think compared to other brands nike and vans are logo wise the less ugly options.
everything with letters is horrendous in my opinion. like fallen, dc, globe, a lot of emericas (I skate in emerica's 99% of the time), Adidas (when its more than the stripes), Half cabs,...  you get the drill

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #853 on: August 01, 2020, 09:28:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

never rode a nike shoe in my life.
I just think compared to other brands nike and vans are logo wise the less ugly options.
everything with letters is horrendous in my opinion. like fallen, dc, globe, a lot of emericas (I skate in emerica's 99% of the time), Adidas (when its more than the stripes), Half cabs,...  you get the drill

really? I always liked how huf and new balance did/does it

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #854 on: August 01, 2020, 09:43:50 AM »

Child of the Ghetto era Slap will always be the best. Slap should find a way to market CotG reissue accounts in an attempt at milking its former glory days...

Aidan Clarke and Plastic Bench Nerd get runner up mentions, along with Sean Pablo’s dad & the psycho who was threatening to kill Jamie Tancowny. I would have mentioned Henry, but he looked himself too fast.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #855 on: August 01, 2020, 09:48:51 AM »
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #856 on: August 03, 2020, 09:51:21 AM »
Malto has wack style. pretty much the opposite of what girl/chocolate used to represent. can we assume malto getting on coincided with crailtap losing cool?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #857 on: August 03, 2020, 10:38:09 AM »
Malto has wack style. pretty much the opposite of what girl/chocolate used to represent. can we assume malto getting on coincided with crailtap losing cool?
To me his switch style got pretty bad after the ankle injury.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #858 on: August 03, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »

Something about being clean cut AND a heavy rail skater just seems wrong.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #859 on: August 04, 2020, 11:07:06 AM »
Dueces Bitch's

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #860 on: August 04, 2020, 11:30:59 AM »
Pappalardo's tiny benches were kinda dope.

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #861 on: August 04, 2020, 12:09:38 PM »
Expand Quote
A legitimate new trick in skateboarding has not been invented in the past 10 years. A bunch of NBDs. A bunch of combinations of tricks that haven't been done before. But there hasn't been anything invented by someone that was adopted across all the skate industry and has been run in multiple video parts following.
[close]

Just curious, what do you think of as being the last new trick the way you define it? Because you could make an argument that any new trick is a combination of something done previously if you tried hard enough and could push this back like 20 years.

I get there are NBDs, and new combinations of tricks, and there's really only 3 axes you can spin a board, so we're inherently limited there.

Outside of the bennett grind, i haven't really seen a whole lot new grinds being done or flips that are new to the past 10-15 years.

But I'm just making a comment that just about skating now has shifted from where things were 10-20 years ago where there was an arms race for people to learn and stay relevant by learning all the new tricks that were being invented. Now, an invented trick is seen more as a side show and the skaters who are being taken seriously are the ones who do the same tricks that have been around for decades, but on bigger stuff / and in combination of other stuff.

veritas

« Reply #862 on: August 04, 2020, 01:09:53 PM »
Heath and Borra had no place being on Workshop and Mindfield (besides JJ's part) is wildly overrated on Slap

Roast beef

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -733
  • My daughter is my world.
« Reply #863 on: August 04, 2020, 01:10:36 PM »
Heath and Borra had no place being on Workshop and Mindfield (besides JJ's part) is wildly overrated on Slap
Shut up.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It’s the courage to continue that counts.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #864 on: August 04, 2020, 01:18:23 PM »

No
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #865 on: August 04, 2020, 01:50:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm sorry.
I read this as

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #866 on: August 04, 2020, 02:00:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Rick Howard has the most rewatchable part in Fully Flared.
[close]

This is the UNPOPULAR opinion thread, bro ;)

I feel this
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #867 on: August 04, 2020, 02:12:24 PM »
I do not like Max Palmer

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #868 on: August 04, 2020, 02:59:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I get there are NBDs, and new combinations of tricks, and there's really only 3 axes you can spin a board, so we're inherently limited there.

Outside of the bennett grind, i haven't really seen a whole lot new grinds being done or flips that are new to the past 10-15 years.

But I'm just making a comment that just about skating now has shifted from where things were 10-20 years ago where there was an arms race for people to learn and stay relevant by learning all the new tricks that were being invented. Now, an invented trick is seen more as a side show and the skaters who are being taken seriously are the ones who do the same tricks that have been around for decades, but on bigger stuff / and in combination of other stuff.

I mean, a Bennett grind is a combination of 180 and Smith done in a new way. I think the closest new one would be a suciu grind, but that’s still just a combo of things too.

I thought you were talking about totally unheard of things, something like when Ryan Reyes started doing raillies, or Danny Gonzalez ceiling ride.

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #869 on: August 04, 2020, 04:51:58 PM »
Xoflippo came off seeming more reasonable than Lawndale in that thread. And, yes, I realize that he admitted to at least one thing that would get him on a sex offender list.