Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 107578 times)

Technique

Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #870 on: August 04, 2020, 05:47:55 PM »
Everyone should delete Instagram or unfollow all skate-related accounts
Watching skate videos isn’t cool anymore
Flip tricks are overrated
Having tattoos makes you look worse
Any kind of vocal/instrument-based music in a skate video is cliche

peptobismol

« Reply #871 on: August 04, 2020, 06:34:23 PM »

yes.
-i got rid of my instagram at the beginning of this year. that was my only social media account.....except this.
-skate videos dont have the same feel, anymore. they dont get me horny to go skate, anymore.
-i dont enjoy flipping my board anymore, plus i rolled my ankle so i couldnt even if i wanted to.
-i am saving up to get some tattoos removed(crossing my fingers for a phat stimulus check). im also looking for any decent places in the sacramento area(any suggestions?)
-.....not quite sure what you mean there but it seems like you just dont like hearing any kind of music in a skate video?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:46:34 PM by peptobismol »

Eric Dolphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #872 on: August 04, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »
Please list examples of music that are not vocal/instrument-based. Keep in mind that samplers, synthesizers, and drum machines are instruments. I'm at work and need some less cliche music to listen to

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
« Reply #873 on: August 04, 2020, 07:48:21 PM »
Rocket fakie heels are actually peak steez

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #874 on: August 04, 2020, 07:51:19 PM »
I do not like Max Palmer

He's alright he's good but I don't get why everyone sucks his dick all the time so I get ya.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #875 on: August 04, 2020, 07:53:44 PM »
2020 sucks

No I think everyone agrees with that. Wrong thread man.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #876 on: August 04, 2020, 08:22:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Please list examples of music that are not vocal/instrument-based. Keep in mind that samplers, synthesizers, and drum machines are instruments. I'm at work and need some less cliche music to listen to

Technique

« Reply #877 on: August 04, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Nice try. You know quite well that I meant instrument-based, as in instrumental - made and based around sounds produced by and performed on traditional physical instruments. You’re not accounting for digital processing and digital instruments also, or found sound/sound-collage related stuff. I guess I also missed that it’s about a conventional use of an instrument. I wouldn’t be mad to hear some Sunn O))) in a skate edit to be honest.
Now all of this being said, any Autechre post-2006 would probably do the job for you, as it’s mainly programming-based. Wouldn’t be mad to hear Autechre in a skate edit either.
But yeah, you know what I mean. Laptop music. Electronic music. There’s tons of shit out there that’s very off-kilter and fairly accessible and pleasing at the same time. I’m tired of hearing Cocteau Twins time and again in skate videos. I like their music, but enough is enough. I wanna hear an old Hessle Audio single or some Photek in a skate edit. That would be simple enough and cool at the same time.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #878 on: August 04, 2020, 09:25:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Nice try. You know quite well that I meant instrument-based, as in instrumental - made and based around sounds produced by and performed on traditional physical instruments. You’re not accounting for digital processing and digital instruments also, or found sound/sound-collage related stuff. I guess I also missed that it’s about a conventional use of an instrument. I wouldn’t be mad to hear some Sunn O))) in a skate edit to be honest.
Now all of this being said, any Autechre post-2006 would probably do the job for you, as it’s mainly programming-based. Wouldn’t be mad to hear Autechre in a skate edit either.
But yeah, you know what I mean. Laptop music. Electronic music. There’s tons of shit out there that’s very off-kilter and fairly accessible and pleasing at the same time. I’m tired of hearing Cocteau Twins time and again in skate videos. I like their music, but enough is enough. I wanna hear an old Hessle Audio single or some Photek in a skate edit. That would be simple enough and cool at the same time.
so the entire world of non-electronic music is too cliche for skate vids? Damn. This is such a bad take I'm not going to bother with the rest of your words

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #879 on: August 05, 2020, 12:14:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A legitimate new trick in skateboarding has not been invented in the past 10 years. A bunch of NBDs. A bunch of combinations of tricks that haven't been done before. But there hasn't been anything invented by someone that was adopted across all the skate industry and has been run in multiple video parts following.
[close]

Just curious, what do you think of as being the last new trick the way you define it? Because you could make an argument that any new trick is a combination of something done previously if you tried hard enough and could push this back like 20 years.
[close]

I get there are NBDs, and new combinations of tricks, and there's really only 3 axes you can spin a board, so we're inherently limited there.

Outside of the bennett grind, i haven't really seen a whole lot new grinds being done or flips that are new to the past 10-15 years.

But I'm just making a comment that just about skating now has shifted from where things were 10-20 years ago where there was an arms race for people to learn and stay relevant by learning all the new tricks that were being invented. Now, an invented trick is seen more as a side show and the skaters who are being taken seriously are the ones who do the same tricks that have been around for decades, but on bigger stuff / and in combination of other stuff.
[close]

I mean, a Bennett grind is a combination of 180 and Smith done in a new way. I think the closest new one would be a suciu grind, but that’s still just a combo of things too.

I thought you were talking about totally unheard of things, something like when Ryan Reyes started doing raillies, or Danny Gonzalez ceiling ride.

Thats why I put there launching from straight walls/curbs there.
Wallies are old in a way but I feel this evolved in something I can't find in any old videos and haven't seen until maximum 10 years ago.

like wallies into slappies on high ledges.
or this wallie 360 nose blunt that went viral a few months ago. forgot who did it.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #880 on: August 05, 2020, 01:03:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A legitimate new trick in skateboarding has not been invented in the past 10 years. A bunch of NBDs. A bunch of combinations of tricks that haven't been done before. But there hasn't been anything invented by someone that was adopted across all the skate industry and has been run in multiple video parts following.
[close]

Just curious, what do you think of as being the last new trick the way you define it? Because you could make an argument that any new trick is a combination of something done previously if you tried hard enough and could push this back like 20 years.
[close]

I get there are NBDs, and new combinations of tricks, and there's really only 3 axes you can spin a board, so we're inherently limited there.

Outside of the bennett grind, i haven't really seen a whole lot new grinds being done or flips that are new to the past 10-15 years.

But I'm just making a comment that just about skating now has shifted from where things were 10-20 years ago where there was an arms race for people to learn and stay relevant by learning all the new tricks that were being invented. Now, an invented trick is seen more as a side show and the skaters who are being taken seriously are the ones who do the same tricks that have been around for decades, but on bigger stuff / and in combination of other stuff.
[close]

I mean, a Bennett grind is a combination of 180 and Smith done in a new way. I think the closest new one would be a suciu grind, but that’s still just a combo of things too.

I thought you were talking about totally unheard of things, something like when Ryan Reyes started doing raillies, or Danny Gonzalez ceiling ride.
[close]

Wallies are old in a way but I feel this evolved in something I can't find in any old videos and haven't seen until maximum 10 years ago.

or this wallie 360 nose blunt that went viral a few months ago. forgot who did it.

Cory Glicks trick from last year?

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #881 on: August 05, 2020, 01:09:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yes

peptobismol

« Reply #882 on: August 05, 2020, 01:34:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

yes

cory glick? who da fuccccc? since when does jiminy glick's cousin rip?

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #883 on: August 05, 2020, 02:05:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
2020s current line up of slap pals that post regularly suck. This place is worse then when gipper was here and that guy was the fucking pits. Fuck you.
[close]

I'm sorry.
[close]
I read this as

Honestly, immediately after I initially wrote it, I read it back this way as well. I love his stand up.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #884 on: August 05, 2020, 04:20:31 AM »
Xoflippo came off seeming more reasonable than Lawndale in that thread. And, yes, I realize that he admitted to at least one thing that would get him on a sex offender list.

Yep. Was cringe

Technique

« Reply #885 on: August 05, 2020, 05:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
so the entire world of non-electronic music is too cliche for skate vids? Damn. This is such a bad take I'm not going to bother with the rest of your words
Shut up motherfucker. This is the unpopular opinion thread. You got what you came for.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #886 on: August 05, 2020, 05:14:30 AM »
People who don't film switch skating don't deserve a pro model.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:13:51 AM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Hombreezy

« Reply #887 on: August 05, 2020, 07:41:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Boy do I have some etnies videos for you

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #888 on: August 05, 2020, 08:47:34 AM »
Snapple is made from the best stuff on Earth and Howard Stern is living proof

Technique

« Reply #889 on: August 05, 2020, 09:20:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Boy do I have some etnies videos for you
Give it up, I’m ready for it.

RealLifeToughGuy

• Rep: 0
« Reply #890 on: August 05, 2020, 09:52:08 AM »
Every skater involved in the GX1000 Black Rock incident are scumbags that should do time. Especially Jesse Vieira. You can cry about how the security guard instigated it. Even if that's true, pussy used his board instead of his fists (not that it should have escalated to that point). Ontop of that, they just bailed. How worthless are people to seriously injure someone then run away scared, leaving them to die? Sure they act hard and indeed do crazy shit on a board, but it's not because they're brave. It's a lack of brain cells and human decency.

Unrelated, anyone acting tough in the xo debacle was cringe. Dude is an absolute idiot and safe bet the rape allegations are based in fact. But a whole lot of "leet hacker who'll ruin your life" talk in that thread, with zero results.

30somethinghasbeen

• Rep: -4
« Reply #891 on: August 05, 2020, 10:48:23 AM »
Pastrami is far and away the most underrated lunch meat.  It's all turkey this and ham that.....Pastrami is the true king of the deli counter. 

ride the tiger

• Rep: -18
  • Are you telling me a shrimp fried this rice?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #892 on: August 05, 2020, 11:22:35 AM »
Pork is overrated.

My unpopular opinion is that this forum is actually not about skateboarding.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #893 on: August 05, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »
Videos need to be spaced out again. I like how Primitive releases 1 main video every year or two, with some tour videos, etc. sprinkled in here and there.

I don't need to be seeing 5 new parts come out every single day. I miss the days of full lengths

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #894 on: August 05, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »
Pastrami is far and away the most underrated lunch meat.  It's all turkey this and ham that.....Pastrami is the true king of the deli counter.

If you order a turkey reuben, you're a softy. Turkey is my go to lunch meat, but it knows it's place.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #895 on: August 05, 2020, 12:35:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you order a turkey reuben, you're a softy. Turkey is my go to lunch meat, but it knows it's place.

y'all ever had Pâté in a Banh mi sandwich? Shit is fire

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #896 on: August 05, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »
Snapple is made from the best stuff on Earth and Howard Stern is living proof

This isn’t the 1996 unpopular opinion thread

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #897 on: August 05, 2020, 12:45:57 PM »
The astrology topic is a spear phishing attempt to get y'all birthdays and you're dumb enough to fall for it.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #898 on: August 05, 2020, 01:37:32 PM »

agreed

peptobismol

« Reply #899 on: August 05, 2020, 01:53:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

agreed

i always thought that only unadventurous-uncultured-shape-shaggers went for turkey or ham at the deli counter?