Author Topic: 2020 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 107581 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
Re: 2020 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1290 on: November 18, 2020, 11:16:11 AM »
“Historic” skate spots don’t need to be saved.

Why ?
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #1291 on: November 18, 2020, 11:36:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why ?
Idk, because it’s just skateboarding and if a city wants to tear something down to building something new, there’s nothing wrong with that imo.
Shit gets torn down to build something new all over the world everyday and it’s just progress, it’s just how the world works.
I just don’t see the need to cling to something like that.
It’s a bummer when a spot gets torn down but it’s usually not something that really going to interfere with a skaters life.
Skateboarding is my life but, it’s nothing in the grand scheme of the earth.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2153
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1292 on: November 18, 2020, 12:19:28 PM »
Anthony Hawkins is completely out to lunch with all the renaming of tricks in his game.
...made them change SMITH GRIND to MONTY GRIND.

NOBODY calls it a monty grind anymore, trick names evolve over time and dude is wrong.
All due respect, Rusty, but YOU are actually in the wrong here.
A BS Smith should have been called (correctly) a Monty grind all along.
And if we are to allow that trick names evolve, then so be it; THIS trick’s name is evolving. No biggie, yeah?
Besides, it’s not as though you’re being asked to take out a 2nd mortgage interest your home... it’s just swapping words in your (already flexible) vernacular.
I still thick of it as a BS Smith, but that don’t mean I’m right.
Recognizing that, I’m willing to give this low hanging fruit a try rather than grouse about it, but hey... you do you.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1293 on: November 18, 2020, 12:23:39 PM »
Expand Quote
They seem to be well received on here. But I personally think Heroin skateboards is one of the worst companies out.
[close]

one of the more geniune unpopular opinion here.
man theyve got some amazing riders and their last 2 projects were real good. Also gou, deaddave, timpson.
Is that the dude who sucks? Because if he's the guy I'm thinking of, he sucks.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1294 on: November 18, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
I think a lot of baggy pants are going way overboard and in a couple years some people are gonna look back and be very embarrassed of their footy.

yeah there's a reason skating moved away from this in the first place

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #1295 on: November 18, 2020, 05:26:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They seem to be well received on here. But I personally think Heroin skateboards is one of the worst companies out.
[close]

man theyve got some amazing riders and their last 2 projects were real good. Also gou, deaddave, timpson.
[close]

I'll say that I got second hand embarrassment watching Gou skate and I think he set Japanese skating back 10 years with all the copycats that popped up after. His skating reminds me of a dad trying to pull faces to make their kid laugh.
[close]
Everything but the name. That is the worst fucking name of a skate brand ever, so fuckin wack and cheesy. Like we don't have crack pipe wheel co or whtever. Idk I like the art, the skaters, and the videos but fucking hell that name is a problem for me. Whiny rant about a bad name over.

Weeeeell there was Hubba wheels and Hubba was slang for crack hence Hubba Hideout was where people used to hide to smoke.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1296 on: November 18, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »
Probably not unpopular but I don't give a fuck about tiny little Boardycakes wheels. Small wheels suck and this is a dumb gimmick, especially if you live somewhere with any amount of crust (Northwest, Northwest, Midwest)
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1297 on: November 18, 2020, 05:45:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Why ?
[close]
Idk, because it’s just skateboarding and if a city wants to tear something down to building something new, there’s nothing wrong with that imo.
Shit gets torn down to build something new all over the world everyday and it’s just progress, it’s just how the world works.
I just don’t see the need to cling to something like that.
It’s a bummer when a spot gets torn down but it’s usually not something that really going to interfere with a skaters life.
Skateboarding is my life but, it’s nothing in the grand scheme of the earth.

Nothing seems like a bigger waste of time than petitioning a city to save a spot, a la the Brooklyn Banks.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #1298 on: November 18, 2020, 05:49:50 PM »
I'm still a Marc Johnson fan and I think he could still come through with an incredible part.
I sometimes miss Tim O'Connor's podcast.
I prefer John Waters writing to his films except Serial Mom.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:04:09 PM by funeral_tuxedo »

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
« Reply #1299 on: November 18, 2020, 05:52:54 PM »
All the little shitty photshop/whatever edits that Spanky adds to his ig clips actually detract from and cheapen his footage. He's a great skater and very likeable, he doesn't need a gimmick.

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1300 on: November 18, 2020, 06:50:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'll say that I got second hand embarrassment watching Gou skate and I think he set Japanese skating back 10 years with all the copycats that popped up after. His skating reminds me of a dad trying to pull faces to make their kid laugh.
[close]
Everything but the name. That is the worst fucking name of a skate brand ever, so fuckin wack and cheesy. Like we don't have crack pipe wheel co or whtever. Idk I like the art, the skaters, and the videos but fucking hell that name is a problem for me. Whiny rant about a bad name over.
[close]

Weeeeell there was Hubba wheels and Hubba was slang for crack hence Hubba Hideout was where people used to hide to smoke.
As soon as I posted I was like hubba and cocaine wheels, but I'm stil sayin it's a shit name for what is otherwise a sick brand.
Whoa. Danger.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #1301 on: November 18, 2020, 07:11:38 PM »
All the little shitty photshop/whatever edits that Spanky adds to his ig clips actually detract from and cheapen his footage. He's a great skater and very likeable, he doesn't need a gimmick.

I think I recall him saying that he started doing that shit when he was getting sober, to keep his mind occupied. I agree, but for that, I'll give him a pass
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #1302 on: November 18, 2020, 07:18:14 PM »
A bucket hat is just a flaccid fedora.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1303 on: November 18, 2020, 07:35:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
As soon as I posted I was like hubba and cocaine wheels, but I'm stil sayin it's a shit name for what is otherwise a sick brand.

Yeah it’s the diminishing returns of all “funny” brand names.  Reminds me of the Simpsons joke about the name of the Be Sharps/Beatles: “we need a name that's witty at first, but that seems less funny each time you hear it”. 

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #1304 on: November 18, 2020, 09:34:54 PM »
And if we are to allow that trick names evolve, then so be it; THIS trick’s name is evolving. No biggie, yeah?
Besides, it’s not as though you’re being asked to take out a 2nd mortgage interest your home... it’s just swapping words in your (already flexible) vernacular.
Recognizing that, I’m willing to give this low hanging fruit a try rather than grouse about it, but hey... you do you.

...so the magazines and trick tip videos over all these years are wrong too?
seems stupid to go against what everyone knows and accepts.
you even admit it. and I think you meant de-volving, monty grind is in the past, get over it.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1305 on: November 18, 2020, 09:42:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

...so the magazines and trick tip videos over all these years are wrong too?
seems stupid to go against what everyone knows and accepts.
you even admit it. and I think you meant de-volving, monty grind is in the past, get over it.

When I started skating 20 years ago, K-Grind was the norm for a crooked grind, I guess because of Koston (though I haven’t seen do that trick enough for it to be named to get why). 

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #1306 on: November 19, 2020, 07:46:44 AM »
The Tom Knox part thread got way too circle jerky for my taste. Amazing skater and great part but I was literally thinking “guys, chill” in my head lol.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #1307 on: November 19, 2020, 09:17:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah it’s the diminishing returns of all “funny” brand names.  Reminds me of the Simpsons joke about the name of the Be Sharps/Beatles: “we need a name that's witty at first, but that seems less funny each time you hear it”.
Well done sir. Hubba wheels references to Simpsons jokes. Slap is great.
Whoa. Danger.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1308 on: November 20, 2020, 05:00:08 AM »
Gustav is a super unique, talented, and enjoyable skateboarder but people on this website still manage to suck his dick like no one else.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1309 on: November 20, 2020, 06:40:07 AM »
Probably not unpopular but I don't give a fuck about tiny little Boardycakes wheels. Small wheels suck and this is a dumb gimmick, especially if you live somewhere with any amount of crust (Northwest, Northwest, Midwest)

Exactly. You know what helps with flip tricks? Actually being able to roll.

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #1310 on: November 20, 2020, 07:50:25 AM »
917 is kinda ass and should probably die. Not as much the skaters as AO and the brand itself. Lazy brand direction/graphics that never lived up to initial expectations. I feel like as a skater AO gets more credit than he should. Definitely has done some great stuff but he has pretty much been full-on coasting since Cherry and let his window go to waste.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1311 on: November 20, 2020, 09:03:32 AM »
A bucket hat is just a flaccid fedora.
Yooooo this had me cracking up my wife was wondering if I was going in to seizures.
Dueces Bitch's

BieberStance

• Rep: -17
« Reply #1312 on: November 20, 2020, 06:02:49 PM »
917 is kinda ass and should probably die. Not as much the skaters as AO and the brand itself. Lazy brand direction/graphics that never lived up to initial expectations. I feel like as a skater AO gets more credit than he should. Definitely has done some great stuff but he has pretty much been full-on coasting since Cherry and let his window go to waste.

the brand itself sucks, thats true.
but AO managed to enable a superinteresting team and their skating speaks for themselves, like you already realised.
So its is completely fine in my books that he provides the financial roof for them to group in their current form and generate output.
He kooked himself into oblivion already and most of us know he won´t have a comeback. so just ignore AO in the 917 equation and everything will be fine.
We all know that is what the team is doing already anyway and everyone else that is involved too. Besides implementing  AOs "creative input" from time to time for good manners maybe.

Hoeboi

• Rep: -360
« Reply #1313 on: November 20, 2020, 06:27:05 PM »

seriously...fuck you. imagine being a young female new york transplant and walking down the street with your airbuds on whilst listening to the newest doja cat track and AO skates by and does a slappy back smith right in front of you as you wait for the cross walk to go green. your pussy would be dripping.

quadcuff

• Rep: -5
« Reply #1314 on: November 21, 2020, 08:14:18 PM »
The Tom Knox part thread got way too circle jerky for my taste. Amazing skater and great part but I was literally thinking “guys, chill” in my head lol.

what'd you think of verso then

elbarto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #1315 on: November 22, 2020, 12:58:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what'd you think of verso then

I thought verso was great. It was hilarious seeing everyone backtrack on their whining when the part finally came out.
“I’ll whoop your ass with my arm out of socket”

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1316 on: November 22, 2020, 02:52:53 AM »
Gustav is a super unique, talented, and enjoyable skateboarder but people on this website still manage to suck his dick like no one else.

Chill dude

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1317 on: November 22, 2020, 05:04:19 AM »

You should read the uk skate forum thread on it
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1318 on: November 22, 2020, 05:05:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You should read the uk skate forum thread on it

Deadly can you link

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1319 on: November 23, 2020, 10:10:12 AM »
Less of an unpopular opinion and more of a hot take:

If you asked Brandon Turner to switch ollie Wallenburg, he would have a harder time doing it than a switch hardflip.