Author Topic: Which subculture in skateboarding do you hate the most?  (Read 42924 times)

GlenSuggittsflexfit

Re: Which subculture in skateboarding do you hate the most?
« Reply #480 on: November 18, 2020, 12:36:18 PM »
The "Was that switch?" crowd. It's like, OK I get it… it was sketchy. Give me a break with your super-subtle dis.
Hhhahaha I feel like a balloon being slowly deflated when people ask me that shit.

chrisskates808

« Reply #481 on: November 18, 2020, 12:44:21 PM »
Instagram skaters...people who exist just to post everything they've ever done on social media.
That’s why I deleted IG

whorific

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -169
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #482 on: November 18, 2020, 12:54:32 PM »
anybody that films at a city built park , kids who go ga ga over a 3mph kickflip while the local ripper tres over the box , muh peeps sportin Zumiez sickers unironically , Zumiez setups , setups with matching color ways trucks/wheels/decks , gross
" I did not say this I am not here"

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #483 on: November 18, 2020, 01:47:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's up with skating in jeans? Hardly a subculture but like how and why. I don't hate people for it but I don't understand.
[close]

What? Jeans are practically the go-to leg wear and are more durable than most other trousers. Seems like the most obvious choice.
[close]
I feel you and I have a pair of those dickies dungarees jawns I like to skate in but idk he denim it's too restrictive? I'm just late to the party on skating in jeans. I used to be all about gym shorts and then sweat pant city. Now plain dickies.
Mayb it's a brand thing? What jeans you wear?
[close]

Just standard Levi’s 501 mostly, nothing flashy but they do the job they’re there for. Hiding my junk.
Ah a good set of junk hiders, isn't that what we're all after? Thanks for the get back!
Whoa. Danger.

KingSharkIsAShark

• Rep: -252
  • Future SLAP Pal
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #484 on: November 19, 2020, 10:43:54 PM »
People who say the word "send"
cringiest shit ever

chrisskates808

« Reply #485 on: November 24, 2020, 09:57:53 PM »
cringiest shit ever
Anything that makes me cringe

Cellular

• Rep: 16
« Reply #486 on: November 24, 2020, 09:58:39 PM »
cringiest shit ever

gotta agree, esp full send

I mean he is kinda doing dog drugs so I fuck with it

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
« Reply #487 on: November 25, 2020, 01:06:49 AM »
Expand Quote
cringiest shit ever
[close]

Or “send it”, anyone saying it is a fucking cornball

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -216
« Reply #488 on: November 25, 2020, 05:00:29 AM »
East coast dudes stuck in 1993

stop with the ‘nahmean, son’ stuff already

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #489 on: November 25, 2020, 05:31:44 AM »
I want to say skate park skaters but its really because I don't skate them so I know I don't have any friends there and I'm too embarrassed to start hanging there at this point

cky enthusiast

« Reply #490 on: November 25, 2020, 05:37:47 AM »
East coast dudes stuck in 1993

stop with the ‘nahmean, son’ stuff already

“that’s just the way that i talk”

-big L

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #491 on: November 25, 2020, 07:36:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
cringiest shit ever
[close]

[close]

I used to say it as a joke like ok full send on the curb lol. Or anything a friends trying full send lets go then hed laugh. Serious about trying but heckling around with the phrase shit like that. Its making fun of jocks whatever if some random person hears and thinks its serious. But i do cringe when you can tell dudes are serious. Senders and enders bro uhhhh

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #492 on: November 25, 2020, 08:09:34 AM »
I was standing next to this dude in the park once and he said to his friend "i'm in quite a sendy mood today"
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #493 on: November 25, 2020, 08:09:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
cringiest shit ever
[close]

[close]

[close]
I used to say it as a joke like ok full send on the curb lol. Or anything a friends trying full send lets go then hed laugh. Serious about trying but heckling around with the phrase shit like that. Its making fun of jocks whatever if some random person hears and thinks its serious. But i do cringe when you can tell dudes are serious. Senders and enders bro uhhhh
Can we add "Let's gooooooo!!!!" to the list as well?

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #494 on: November 25, 2020, 08:28:06 AM »
I was standing next to this dude in the park once and he said to his friend "i'm in quite a sendy mood today"

hopefully you sent some projectile vomit his way
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #495 on: November 25, 2020, 08:42:49 AM »
The dudes at the park who make it a mission to make their wheels screech as much as possible while they're homies are screaming "YEEEWWWW!!!" with every fucking screech

cky enthusiast

« Reply #496 on: November 25, 2020, 10:06:05 AM »
The dudes at the park who make it a mission to make their wheels screech as much as possible while they're homies are screaming "YEEEWWWW!!!" with every fucking screech

if you did more cess slides and less soggy flat bottom big spins you wouldn’t be this bitter about fun

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
« Reply #497 on: November 25, 2020, 02:21:44 PM »
I mean yew is a type of wood traditionally used in cabinetmaking known for its high elasticity. But ya i hate that shit its cringe. Still a sign of appreciation if a stranger goes yew though just dont be a cool guy dick if someone shouts out a praise thats all. Overseas homies can go yew all they want its whatever zey loves z thrasher

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #498 on: November 25, 2020, 08:33:17 PM »
People who never skate anything other than white wheels

People who will start skating and skip all basics and go for a trick like tre/impossible/varial heel until they have it on lock but they can’t do a backside 180

And of course like others mentioned: the weed smoking freeloading ripndip teens

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #499 on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »
I’m still thinking about this cool dude I saw at a skatepark with a sort of Limp Bizkit/Jamiroquai/Daniel Haney thing going on: Football jersey, denim overalls, bucket hat. Some of the kits on these fashionboarders are just unreallllll.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

sk8bat

• Rep: -97
« Reply #500 on: November 25, 2020, 11:53:01 PM »
Supreme is super lame shit for sure. Is that a subculture?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #501 on: November 26, 2020, 12:14:48 AM »
Supreme is super lame shit for sure. Is that a subculture?

it pretty much exists only as a sponsor in skating? i don't know a single skater that cares to shop supreme. it's all hypebeast kids that don't skate. i'm convinced most of these people don't know about the history as a skateshop. there is a subculture among pros that consists of being affiliated with supreme and getting free stuff, but not among "normal" skaters.

the only time i saw a kid at the skatepark wearing supreme, he was about to hit the legal graffiti wall and had his mom with him to carry his cans. very funny.

damn, this just reminds me how everything that was cool and forbidden when i was a kid has been domesticized.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #502 on: November 26, 2020, 08:00:02 AM »
I didnt read the entire thread but I am sure youtubers were mentioned
There are a lot of stupid trends that seem to go hand in hand with skateboarding... but i got thinking a lot about this topic and honestly as cringey as those are those are not the true evil subcultures in skateboarding that I hate. i think those kids kind of need to exist. Without nerds, there can not be cool guys and everything in between. Kids need to find themselves and skateboarding makes a lot of kids think they can be anything they want which is kind of awesome even though us older guys look at it with disgust...

the 1st one i think has been hammered in these forums a lot in the past while. anything that has to do with nazi / racist storm trooper shit is hella wack. i am not big on that aggro vibe in the first place but that shit is straight up bad.

but i think the 2nd one is even worse in a lot of ways because it is a lot of more prominent in skateboarding. and it is how cool it seems for everyone to be drinking and smoking weed. the sad thing is too, most of the pros who are seen as corny are 100% sober and who workout and stuff are looked down upon. i know that image has changed quite a bit. but the weed and booze is not good for you obviously and its not a good image for kids. i 100% got hooked becuase i just thought that was part of being a skateboarder and its really not at all. its just another one of tohse lame subcultures like revive or whatever but these ones cost you a lot of money and do a lot of damage outside of the game. easy to toss your john hill deck for a hockey or whatever but hard to stop smoking weed 9x a day or needing booze to get through a shift at work.

I think it is important for people to be able to discover shit think outside the box that was why i originally was so interested in those things. the "lifestyle" stuff they showed in magazines in videos was toxic as hell and did more damage than good. was cool for a few guys to make a few bucks off those brnads for that short window of time but it held lot of shit back. look how many pros there are with drug problems and divorced etc. its wayyy too many. 

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #503 on: November 26, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
What do people think of “curb skaters”?

I think it’s become a full on Instagram subculture with its own accounts, brands, etc. People setting up insanely wide decks with rails, DIY parking blocks, slappy everything, etc.

I think I’m becoming one of these guys just because I’ve gotten older (and better at slappies) but I do cringe a little bit when I see people repping a dozen “SKATE CURBS!” stickers on their 10 inch wide fish shape.

Pretty benign in the overall ecosystem of skating, especially since they (we?) mostly stay sequestered in parking lots, but once something becomes a hashtag that’s always a little lame.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #504 on: November 26, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »
i think it's sick, it's cool old fat people have a discipline they can excel at, just like with bowl skating. i am naturally skinny, and when i bash against the curb my weight doesn't even carry me. i am fully convinced being old, fat and less movable contributes to having good slappy style.

Brguy

« Reply #505 on: November 26, 2020, 12:24:23 PM »
the sad thing is too, most of the pros who are seen as corny are 100% sober and who workout and stuff are looked down upon.
That's cause most of the sober skaters are corny or straight out of rehab. At least we have guys like Bam to show people the other side of it all.

sk8bat

« Reply #506 on: November 26, 2020, 01:04:56 PM »
i think it's sick, it's cool old fat people have a discipline they can excel at, just like with bowl skating. i am naturally skinny, and when i bash against the curb my weight doesn't even carry me. i am fully convinced being old, fat and less movable contributes to having good slappy style.
Yeah so true. I've been eating cheeseburgers and cookies like nobody's business, and can't put on the weight to match my board size. Stuck on a 9.25 with Indy 169s. I got 66s and 215s but 169 is my weight class right now. I look up to the skinny guys like Bethel, Creager, Nuzzi, and takingtigermountainbyslappy

sk8bat

« Reply #507 on: November 26, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »
What do people think of “curb skaters”?

I think it’s become a full on Instagram subculture with its own accounts, brands, etc. People setting up insanely wide decks with rails, DIY parking blocks, slappy everything, etc.

I think I’m becoming one of these guys just because I’ve gotten older (and better at slappies) but I do cringe a little bit when I see people repping a dozen “SKATE CURBS!” stickers on their 10 inch wide fish shape.

Pretty benign in the overall ecosystem of skating, especially since they (we?) mostly stay sequestered in parking lots, but once something becomes a hashtag that’s always a little lame.
Curb skating is rad.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
« Reply #508 on: November 26, 2020, 01:45:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah so true. I've been eating cheeseburgers and cookies like nobody's business, and can't put on the weight to match my board size. Stuck on a 9.25 with Indy 169s. I got 66s and 215s but 169 is my weight class right now. I look up to the skinny guys like Bethel, Creager, Nuzzi, and takingtigermountainbyslappy

Not trying to be a dick but why not try a smaller setup? I know that’s kind of against the #skatemorecurbs lifestyle but plenty of people do slappies on an 8” deck. I learned on an 8.5”, I don’t think there’s any reason to make yourself push a super heavy board around just because other people think that’s what curb skating is about. Of course I understand there are other reasons to rock a big fatty, and I’m all for everyone riding whatever’s fun— just my two cents.

sk8bat

« Reply #509 on: November 26, 2020, 02:04:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Not trying to be a dick but why not try a smaller setup? I know that’s kind of against the #skatemorecurbs lifestyle but plenty of people do slappies on an 8” deck. I learned on an 8.5”, I don’t think there’s any reason to make yourself push a super heavy board around just because other people think that’s what curb skating is about. Of course I understand there are other reasons to rock a big fatty, and I’m all for everyone riding whatever’s fun— just my two cents.
For me, my boards are like golf clubs, it depends what I want the slap to look or feel like. I can Slappy tall curbs with an 8 inch board and it looks sick, but my hips don't enjoy the extra slamming. It's like pitching a baseball also, it's never perfect. Some days everything goes in the dirt, I'll change boards and everything is good. Most guys work their way down, but as you get older just could care less, and just want to get as many fastballs in as possible.