Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47635 times)

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
What are you trying to learn right now?
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:50:05 AM »
A few months ago they repaved my neighborhood and it’s a super smooth ride now. I’ve just been trying to cruise around switch and get a good switch push going. If I get my front foot position just right then I can fly around, but if it’s off a tiny bit then it’s a total disaster. Doing a revert and getting a strong switch push in right after is an amazing feeling. I can do some tail scraps, hopefully a strong ollie by the end of summer.

What about you?

no name cargos plug

Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 07:51:31 AM »
Bs 360s. Might as well be rocket science ffs :-\

formula420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 08:31:34 AM »
Half cab heel. I got the rotation but I can't catch em right.

kook1234

• Rep: 120
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 10:17:37 AM »
working on 5-0s. No matter what I do I can't get my weight distribution right :/

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 11:00:03 AM »
I'm old and trying to relearn some flip tricks as all I can skate during lockdown is flat and curbs...

So...

Half cab flips and nollie varial flips (ugly, I know,  but used to be one of my go tos)

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 11:47:34 AM »
Also been working on flat ground and slappies when that gets old. I want to be able to do a Str8 8 consistently. Also trying to relearn switch BS 50-50’s, 5-0’s and NGs. Used to be able to do them but never comfortably or consistently.

sketchyrider

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 12:43:49 PM »
would like to 360 flip before im 30 got about a year left. feeling confident about it though.

frontside axle stalls, going back in is scary.

finally ollieing into a manual, i mean i can do it but man does it need improvement.

zumiezemployeeofthemonth

• Rep: -2
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 02:49:46 PM »
switch. so basically learning how to skate all over again

Brguy

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 11:15:48 PM »
Twist my ankle a while back so trying switch/nollie too. Got Nollie fs 180s pretty good, even better than regular nollies.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 01:18:49 AM »
Half cab noseslide to bs tailslide. I just need to slide the bs tail fully before I count it as legit.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 01:27:15 AM »
working on 5-0s. No matter what I do I can't get my weight distribution right :/

What's going wrong? Is the board shooting out from under you?

Trying to make my BS Tailslides consistent. I can do them to fakie within around 10 tries but I can't for the life of me get them to regular consistent.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

kook1234

• Rep: 120
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 09:17:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Trying to make my BS Tailslides consistent. I can do them to fakie within around 10 tries but I can't for the life of me get them to regular consistent.
Always either shoots out or I just fall down into a 50-50. I’ve only done one legit 5-0 and it was on a tiny ledge at almost no speed  :'(

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 585
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 10:44:56 AM »

If you can ollie to wheelie, a fs 5-0 is the same. Just a bit more pressure on the back foot. Try it the end of a ledge. I suck at ledges but I can get short 5-0s sometimes.

I struggle with varial heels, I land 1 out of 20. Makes no sense to me since heelflips and fs shoves are my go to tricks.
IG: @flowterspace

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Always either shoots out or I just fall down into a 50-50. I’ve only done one legit 5-0 and it was on a tiny ledge at almost no speed  :'(

Make sure you rocket your ollie, you don't wanna do a leveled out ollie then put your tail down but rather just do a rocket ollie straight into the 5-0 position.

I finally learnt fucking switch and nollie flips after so long. Trying to get the flick proper before I work on getting them every try. Nollie fs, and sw bs flips to a lesser extent are also coming along as a result.

On ledges, mostly regs and switch back tails, and regs and switch back smith pop out in the middle of the ledge. And also trying to improve the form and pop out on my pinchy grinds (crooked variations and 180 fakie nosegrind variations).

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 09:10:50 PM »
Anyone have any tips on how to properly do bs 360's?

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 10:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Make sure you rocket your ollie, you don't wanna do a leveled out ollie then put your tail down but rather just do a rocket ollie straight into the 5-0 position.

I finally learnt fucking switch and nollie flips after so long. Trying to get the flick proper before I work on getting them every try. Nollie fs, and sw bs flips to a lesser extent are also coming along as a result.

On ledges, mostly regs and switch back tails, and regs and switch back smith pop out in the middle of the ledge. And also trying to improve the form and pop out on my pinchy grinds (crooked variations and 180 fakie nosegrind variations).

Did you get your switch ollie and nollies good before you added the flip?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 11:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Did you get your switch ollie and nollies good before you added the flip?

Definitely, I'm pretty comfortable skating switch in general. Its just that the switch kickflip flick just felt so strange for the longest time. What helped was to get good at flipping the board halfway and landing upside down consistently... from there its just a matter of flicking harder or jumping higher. Much better than flipping the board fully and landing with only one foot.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 11:21:43 PM by tzhangdox »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1565
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 01:56:36 AM »

Big toe on the back foot is what guides the board around the whole time like an impossible while you throw your whole upper body into the spin earlier and quicker than you think you should. Practice that movement for the rotation with backside 360 step hops and you should be golden, then you just do the same thing lifting your front foot up instead of sliding it off and down to the ground. It's not an easy trick to learn on flat but once you start getting it proper it feels amazing, good luck with it.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 07:11:56 AM »
Never really did any nollie tricks so I’ve been trying a few inbetween other stuff on flat. Want a good nollie 180 but it’s going to just take a while to figure out

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2020, 09:32:35 AM »
Never really did any nollie tricks so I’ve been trying a few inbetween other stuff on flat. Want a good nollie 180 but it’s going to just take a while to figure out

My Nollie FS 180 is shit, BS is way worse, I really regret not putting more effort into learning Nollie and Switch in my youth.

There's not much going on right now and I found a little curb area near my home. I'm going to work on stalling BS Lipslides on low curbs, hopefully it translates into finally getting the slide when the lockdown is lifted.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1089
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2020, 10:11:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Big toe on the back foot is what guides the board around the whole time like an impossible while you throw your whole upper body into the spin earlier and quicker than you think you should. Practice that movement for the rotation with backside 360 step hops and you should be golden, then you just do the same thing lifting your front foot up instead of sliding it off and down to the ground. It's not an easy trick to learn on flat but once you start getting it proper it feels amazing, good luck with it.

Great stuff, thanks a ton. I also bookmarked what you said about impossibles in the other basic tricks thread. Your descriptions are on point.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 11:53:12 AM »
FS 360 shuvs. Landed a few before but it's a real tough one to get down.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 12:53:43 PM »
No Comply FS Shuv to BS Blunt on a curb. It seems like a circus trick to me at this point but I’ve got it twice, just with no slide distance.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2020, 01:29:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Great stuff, thanks a ton. I also bookmarked what you said about impossibles in the other basic tricks thread. Your descriptions are on point.
Yeah thanks, that was helpful for me too, especially the part about keeping the tension up. They wrapped pretty easily so I think I must have gotten close or done a putt-putt one in the past. Changed decks/woodshops and lost em again, something to work on this month..

How about pointers for NOT one-footing back 3's? Do you gotta pop a lil more? Scoop less?
I'll like all scoop and it feels like my front foot has nothing to grip to.
I also get dizzy if I flail a few but don't if I land them. Never understood why.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 04:19:26 PM »
Front 5-0 to crook. Any advice would be appreciated

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 01:09:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I also need to ask for advice on that one since I have been trying it on and off for years now. I feel like I can turn my board and my upper body well, but I always end up with my feet parallel to each other (one on the board, one off the board next to it). Any ideas on how to fix this?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1565
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2020, 02:54:13 AM »
How about pointers for NOT one-footing back 3's? Do you gotta pop a lil more? Scoop less?
I'll like all scoop and it feels like my front foot has nothing to grip to.
I also get dizzy if I flail a few but don't if I land them. Never understood why.

Sounds like we do our back 3's about the same, all scoop and automatic one-foot (the classic way, not the exaggerated way kids are doing) so I'm not going to be able to help much there. I actually love doing them like that on flat but the downside is I can't really do them down shit with this technique (yet - I haven't tried in ages actually), because of how it's all scoop the board usually ends up leaving my feet from the extra height and continuing for a solo 540 that's impossible to land on. Also the dizziness thing is real! That's my first time reading someone else describe it so well. My guess is that's because when you're in control of the trick you actually know what you're doing, where to look and thus it's one continuous motion, whereas if you're not focused on a specific reference point, just the motion itself is going to be just one silly jump?

You're probably onto something with the more pop and less scoop for the snowboard-style back 3's, that type of control on caballerials on flat has a lot to do with the positioning of the popping foot or so I find, but on a back 3 you're working against the momentum, not with it, which is harder and I couldn't really see popping a back 3 from the same, more comfortable position I use for cabs, big toe in the middle of the tail and all when I gotta use the extra scoop to get the regs counterpart working.

truthislie sounds like the common problem of being scared to commit/land since it's such a blind trick at first. Honestly can't blame you for being normal as landing a bit short then brutally slipping out the wrong way (with all your momentum from the wind-up) on that trick is very much a thing learning it - in a way that's its main trial by fire. I remember a few years ago my back 3's had gotten rusty but I got them back super quick by pretending I was doing backside 360 step hops (which are really simple to me) without putting my foot down, if you've got those good then throwing yourself into and staying over a back 3 is the exact same, so usually I'll just pretend I'm doing the step hop one but brain fart on purpose when the time comes to put the foot down.

JudoOrigami

• Rep: -90
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 07:05:00 AM »
switch lazers cuz im kooky as fuck and only care about winning games of skate

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 07:34:19 AM »
Front 5-0 to crook. Any advice would be appreciated

If you can find a rounded ledge it’s easier. But get into the 5-0 locked in as far to your heel side wheel as you can. Grind a bit and kind of lift up and turn at the same time kinda pointing into the ledge with your back foot. Hope that helps. I haven’t done that trick in a long ass time.

PeskOne

• Rep: 10
  • Skateboarding: Only drug worth the side effects.
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 08:09:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Have the same problem but only on higher ledges, small ones i can do them, on the higher i have the exakt same problem as you how much i even try, i think i mayby once or twice got up a real fivo and slided a bit.

But what i most want is bs 50. Just before my big break i was able to come up bs 50 down a 3 stair ledge. Not that high i just thought it was easier down there than doing flat bs 50 50 on curb. I never really did that bs 50 i had been longing for years. And then when i had it in my hand i stopped. (Gonna be honest, Drugs were involved and also work) Last summer coming back from the big break after wrecking myself as hell shit finally came back. To my suprise i could do bs 5050 on medium high ledge almost better than fs. But Trying bs 50 i usally try on the samller ones and i just land bs feeble or bs 5050.

Also bs feeble is one of my tricks i really want, but somehow i feel the angle coming up against a rail feel so uncomfy and result max in a boardslide.

Before the break when i did 50-50 up rails i landed once perfect fs feeble but didnt make it, same when i did bs 50 50 up a rail i landed mayby 1 or 2 times in a bs feeble. I have done fs feeble once when i was in Australia, didnt bring my board but my skate abstinens went overboard bought a whole new one. And on a parking lot there was like a perfect curb i was gonna do a 50 50, landed super clean fs feeble and even popped out of it at the end. WOW that day i was HIGH as FUCK, on skateboarding ofcourse.

Wish Sweden were more like US and AU, more concrete and many sidewalks are perfect small curbs. There are so much things that are perfect for skateboarding. Even AU have those nice mellow sidewalks and some on the parking lot were i did my fs feeble were like a D and i grinded the straight bit and popped off before the D would stop me (No pun intended)
Skateboarding an addiction stronger than Heroin.