Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47640 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #240 on: August 20, 2020, 08:19:53 PM »
Yeah honestly I'd recommend just working on popping out of noseslides in general because it's a whole lot of fun. I first started learning those because of the classic Rob Welsh clips of course but also because of Lui Araki and Dom Henry who have insane ones (Dom can even do noseslide melons as a joke) and once you start doing them like that you can't go back. That's also easier to do from slappy because of how the momentum works. Then once you've figured out the timing (even if it's on small pop outs) I reckon it should be easy to spin an extra 270 (or 180 then 90 degrees of revert if you're short on air time) whichever your preferred way is. What I was saying about halfcab noseslides ideally working just like noseslides also applies here so once you know how to do it you can also replicate the motion out of those and then I guess go with the flow if you feel like adding rotations.

I think for a bit I had better frontside 360 nollies than I had frontside 180 nollies, the key for those is to nest your feet real deep in the concave and then you just use the big toe on your front foot to pop into the rotation. I feel like nollie 180's work just a little bit differently because you can't use as much momentum on the jump so you really have to focus on getting a good nollie motion instead, 360's you can just throw around. Actually I just remembered the first flatground 360 nollie I ever got on film in a line (back in like 2003) was essentially a 360 shove-it with a 360 body varial and no feet touching, haha.

Wish I had Noseslide pop-outs like Wu-Welsh, the one he did in Beware of the Flare is beautiful. Makes an easy trick look so much more stylish. Is the secret to it like popping a Nollie out the end?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pinche gringo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 84
« Reply #241 on: August 20, 2020, 08:29:52 PM »
Confidence.

shmazz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #242 on: August 20, 2020, 08:49:26 PM »
Just your regular good ol' kickflip. Been putting them off for a while now because I didn't feel like I was ready to go for it, but right now I'm trying to get the flicking motion just right. Feeling pretty confident about landing one before the year is over.  :)

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #243 on: August 20, 2020, 09:48:08 PM »
Just your regular good ol' kickflip. Been putting them off for a while now because I didn't feel like I was ready to go for it, but right now I'm trying to get the flicking motion just right. Feeling pretty confident about landing one before the year is over.  :)

Do them off a curb or a 2 stair it gives you more time to land on them. At least that's how I learned them. I still have trouble getting my back foot on. My hop skills are not too good.

Also let your nose do the flick for you. It's just an ollie that you kinda slide your kick to the side of you nose

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1565
« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2020, 01:07:40 AM »
Wish I had Noseslide pop-outs like Wu-Welsh, the one he did in Beware of the Flare is beautiful. Makes an easy trick look so much more stylish. Is the secret to it like popping a Nollie out the end?

Yeah it's just that (so barely a secret really), it's the same motion as when you drop in onto something but pop instead of just slamming the front wheels down, just switch and with momentum basically. Ideally your weight should be fully distributed over the nose for noseslides so it's easy, you just release some pressure for a very brief moment by transferring some force over the other leg (just enough not to fall off the ledge), then counter that and kind of spring out. The motion was always natural for me because I used to do those straight-on nose presses on curbs I was mentioning as a kid (not going up the curb, I could never do that - just jamming the nose coming in perpendicular then backside nollieing out). You could probably figure out the basic motion easily by just trying it on curbs a few times, then once you're comfortable with the timing and idea it kinda becomes second nature to apply it to your noseslide dismounts.

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2020, 05:50:39 PM »
working on heelflips. But being an old short asian guy, the threat of popsicling/credit carding my anus has been real.

next up is nollies and skating switch.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2020, 09:21:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah it's just that (so barely a secret really), it's the same motion as when you drop in onto something but pop instead of just slamming the front wheels down, just switch and with momentum basically. Ideally your weight should be fully distributed over the nose for noseslides so it's easy, you just release some pressure for a very brief moment by transferring some force over the other leg (just enough not to fall off the ledge), then counter that and kind of spring out. The motion was always natural for me because I used to do those straight-on nose presses on curbs I was mentioning as a kid (not going up the curb, I could never do that - just jamming the nose coming in perpendicular then backside nollieing out). You could probably figure out the basic motion easily by just trying it on curbs a few times, then once you're comfortable with the timing and idea it kinda becomes second nature to apply it to your noseslide dismounts.

Managed to get 1 going today, speed definitely helped. Feels better than just flopping off the end like I usually do.

Working on getting front crooks more consistent, they are such a fun trick when you get the pinch in right. Feels easier on a slightly taller ledge, I always overshoot the top when trying on a shorter ledge.

Edit - good ledge session this weekend made me think about trying other tricks I've missed out over the years. Stuff like FS 1/2 Cab Noseslides, 1/2 Cab Crook, FS Fakie 5-0 and BS Fakie Nosegrind. Anyone ravioli ravioli and can show me the formuoli?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:51:14 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sketchyrider

« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »
whoever said 360 flips are all in the back foot, you're full of shit, but thanks for helping me learn 360 shuvs.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #248 on: September 01, 2020, 06:45:12 AM »
Nollie flips...pretty tricky despite having regular and fakie flips down, decided to learn them to give my recently rolled leading ankle a rest.

I can spin the board the full rotation but reckon i'm a few lengthy sessions away from landing one.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #249 on: September 01, 2020, 11:08:08 AM »
whoever said 360 flips are all in the back foot, you're full of shit, but thanks for helping me learn 360 shuvs.
i know what you mean lol but you do have to do most of the work with your back foot. I can't really talk because I haven't learned them yet but I've noticed I always get closer when keeping weight on the back foot and making changes to back foot positioning or how I scoop.

Hombreezy

« Reply #250 on: September 01, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »
Tre flips are 99.99% back foot on flat unless you’re going down stairs, then it’s 70% back foot 30% front foot. I’m on the other side of the spectrum I guess, I never understood how people can scoop bigspins so good without them flipping. Impossible are all about timing for me and I don’t scoop it near as diagonal under me as I do for tre flips

sketchyrider

« Reply #251 on: September 01, 2020, 06:07:13 PM »
I hear yall, i got the flip down but i had to jump forward which is a sign of needing more work. Its close. It really is mostly back foot, just not 100%.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #252 on: September 02, 2020, 02:43:55 AM »
FS crooks, and poping regular out of fs noseslide...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #253 on: September 02, 2020, 07:41:25 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbjH2iPexxY

This video helped me get the pinch on my FS Crooks, don't get lazy with the pop so you get high enough above the ledge to slot your truck in. Stick your foot in the pocket between the nose and bolts, keeping that pressure on. Speed also helps loads.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2020, 01:17:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This video helped me get the pinch on my FS Crooks, don't get lazy with the pop so you get high enough above the ledge to slot your truck in. Stick your foot in the pocket between the nose and bolts, keeping that pressure on. Speed also helps loads.

I got some decent ones yesterday and the feeling was amazing.
I'm still doing most of them to fakie.

I need to improve a lot, but a few weeks ago this was completely impossible to even thinking about it so I guess I'm on the right way. Thanks for the video, it will hep a lot !

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2020, 01:59:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I got some decent ones yesterday and the feeling was amazing.
I'm still doing most of them to fakie.

I need to improve a lot, but a few weeks ago this was completely impossible to even thinking about it so I guess I'm on the right way. Thanks for the video, it will hep a lot !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcT7Igmn7TI

James Craig's got a really solid pinch on his trick, his explanation of where you push your truck and pressure in with your foot was really helpful to me.

My bucket list is getting longer throughout the week:
270 out of noseslides
FS 1/2 Cab Noseslide
BS 5-0 (lost this trick, dammit)
FS Tailslides (lost this trick too)
BS 180 Nosegrinds
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2020, 02:18:45 AM »

People who can only come fakie out of f/s noseslides usually have the bad habit of turning and leaning into the trick, so in the end what they're really doing is backside 180 with some ledge assist. For straight front nose you barely even use your shoulders (you'll be looking over them anyway), you approach the obstacle parallel and just extend those legs, it's really mostly your hips doing the work in a way really similar to a shifty ollie with a pause. Now I don't really do frontside crooked grinds but the few times I've bothered with that trick coming out of it felt really similar to coming out of front nose regs, the motion feels similar regardless of whether or not your truck is on, you just bring the hips back.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #257 on: September 04, 2020, 07:29:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

People who can only come fakie out of f/s noseslides usually have the bad habit of turning and leaning into the trick, so in the end what they're really doing is backside 180 with some ledge assist. For straight front nose you barely even use your shoulders (you'll be looking over them anyway), you approach the obstacle parallel and just extend those legs, it's really mostly your hips doing the work in a way really similar to a shifty ollie with a pause. Now I don't really do frontside crooked grinds but the few times I've bothered with that trick coming out of it felt really similar to coming out of front nose regs, the motion feels similar regardless of whether or not your truck is on, you just bring the hips back.

That is exactly what I do, and for now this is the only way I got them to slide for a long distance.
Thanks for the tips though, I'm working on those two tricks because as you said I think I will eventually unlock them both.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2020, 02:45:19 AM »
Yeah my pleasure, I think one thing I forgot to emphasize is your shoulders are what's going to make the difference, for front nose fakie you'll be kinda tucking your leading arm in to accompany the rotation whereas for straight front nose you'll keep your upper body in its original axis a bit more, which is why thinking of it as a shifty sort of trick works (even if you can't do actually shifties, just the motion and basic principle). Thinking about it, that's also exactly the thought that helped me break out of the habit of coming out of sw crooks regs a while back - convince yourself it's a straight trick and there is no rotation/180, so you pop straight (coming at a slight angle or not), then just your lower body guides the board into the position and that's it.

chpsk8

• Rep: -3
« Reply #259 on: September 05, 2020, 07:46:59 PM »
ollieing the hip of a pyramid. Can't seem to get it.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 389
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2020, 08:18:06 PM »
Working on tricks out of manuals, I get shuvits to spin but haven’t been able to catch them. What’s the secret to doing tricks out.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2020, 08:33:39 PM »
Working on tricks out of manuals, I get shuvits to spin but haven’t been able to catch them. What’s the secret to doing tricks out.

The more you'll focus on the shove-it the more the board is likely to get away from you. Noticed that just the other day while trying to teach a local kid f/s shove out of manny, he was really trying hard for the rotation at first then suddenly got a lot better after I told him to just pop straight down. Practice ollies out of manny for a bit, I'd say, those are really fun (in addition to being the proper way of doing the trick, it's just a continuation of the motion IMO), will get you into the right habits and open a lot of doors.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #262 on: September 05, 2020, 08:37:23 PM »
Fakie big spin flips. I'm old. I know fakie big spins are illegal but I've been doing them for over 30 years and I can do half-cab flips. I've seen Chico do the fakie big spin flip and I think its achievable for this mid-40s asshole.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: September 05, 2020, 08:39:18 PM »
Fakie big spin flips. I'm old. I know fakie big spins are illegal but I've been doing them for over 30 years and I can do half-cab flips. I've seen Chico do the fakie big spin flip and I think its achievable for this mid-40s asshole.

Fakie big flips are sick, I keep doing them because of PJ Ladd. Think of them as halfcab varial flips if you can varial kickflip and you're golden. Honestly halfcab flips might actually be harder to control, so you've got this.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #264 on: September 05, 2020, 09:22:32 PM »
I appreciate the encouragement and tips!

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #265 on: September 05, 2020, 11:01:33 PM »
- nollie fs shuv manual
I can get em on super short Manny pads (like under 4 feet) but ive been trying em at a skatepark and theyre fucking hard
- fs flips off stuff
scary
- popping out of crooks
either happens and feels amazing or doesnt

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #266 on: September 06, 2020, 02:01:45 AM »
Fs and switch fs big spins.

I'm off flip tricks for the moment so want to work on my big spin game.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #267 on: September 07, 2020, 03:55:42 AM »
kinda wanna do this, checked it out the other day bit bigger than expected

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: September 08, 2020, 01:13:32 AM »
1/2 Cab Crooked grinds - where should I be looking, how should my feet my popping. 1/2 Cab noseslides are no problem, but it feels like for the crooked grinds I have to huck my front (back?) truck up and above the ledge before pressuring in the truck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #269 on: September 08, 2020, 01:27:48 AM »
1/2 Cab Crooked grinds - where should I be looking, how should my feet my popping. 1/2 Cab noseslides are no problem, but it feels like for the crooked grinds I have to huck my front (back?) truck up and above the ledge before pressuring in the truck.

should be fine if you just turn more and pop a bit higher, its pretty mechanically similar to half cab noses.