Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 12850 times)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 419
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #300 on: September 15, 2020, 05:58:38 AM »
Expand Quote
As much as I said about committing to tricks and focusing on rolling away with as few tries, I think that mindset really hurt my sessions today.
[close]

I think it's because one can't really improvise that mindset, just dictating how your day should be going in advance isn't going to work because by definition skateboarding is something that mercilessly bombards you with different scenarii every single moment in real time (happening on an object moving through irregular space and all), so trying to foresee exactly how your day is going to go is only more mental pollution and a distraction if anything. At least I stopped doing this a while ago and now only skate on days where my physical condition feels right, because that's when I know I'll be at my sharpest to handle all the ruckus and then it's pretty much a guaranteed good session with no expectations. Now skating is so fun I'll occasionally do it on the days I feel wrecked too (e.g.. after binge skating three days in a row on average), but then I'll most likely take it easy and stick to less brutal and/or more consistent maneuvers. Recovering time is important, your body needs it (most skaters underestimate how much they put theirs through absolute shit) and there is such a thing as overtraining in any physical activity, if you're not familiar with the term I'd advise you look it up as grasping the concept basically made me understand why I'd always have on and off days as a kid. In general whenever you're having a bad session, it's important to understand why as to just eliminate the mistakes eventually, and stop clogging your head with whatever considerations might distract from the present moment of purely reading the terrain with your board.

I also get the pleasure of working on tricks super hard, for maybe over my decade of skating I skated anywhere from 3 to 10 hours literally everyday, sheltering myself under whatever shitty place had some kind of roof in case of shit weather just to always be working on new stuff and not losing tricks, but then I grew out of that phase when I realized it was actually counter-productive although fun in its own ways and I was unnecessarily micromanaging things (because I had less self-confidence; in reality if you really don't want your tricks to go away then they won't since every motion you neglect you can always relearn, this anxiety is another source of potential mental pollution in one's skating so such worries are better off jettisoned). So I'm a bit torn on talking shit on obsessively working on technique because that's what I did for a long time and also I guess what enabled me to build a repertoire of tricks and maneuvers big enough for me to have fun with even on days where challenging shit won't work. It may be important to remember that although fundamental, technique in skateboarding is a means but an end.

The frustration of having a bad session stems from me only having my weekends to skate for a combines 6-8 hours, so I feel immense pressure to perform and not lose my tricks on those 2 days. But I'm like that in my daily life too, I'm disciplined to a fault and can't stand to sit around doing nothing, much to my own detriment. I'm uber intense, like when I mean we have to leave the house at 7pm to meet a dinner reservation, I get pissed with my wife if we leave late and have to pay a late fee on the Uber. The park I usually session has reopened after lockdown so I'm planning on going there 1-2 times in the week to keep sharp and limber.

Being older and skateboarding: it gives you the extremes of emotions and pulls you in both directions. You appreciate it more, but the scarcity of time really adds so much pressure on me. I already trying to do 5 days in a row (Wed - Sun), I have a huge scarcity problem but I'll eventually find a happy medium, maybe 1-2 times during the week, go hard on the weekends.

I love skating ledges and rails but I'm going to commit to working on getting a proper looking Ollie. I've been rocketing them my entire life and seeing the other threads about old guys working on them made me think I should really practice what I preach.

Spending hours working on a trick has put me in a dark place mentally which feel so stupid and trivial. I think back on all the negative things my mom said, discouraging me from skateboarding when I was 14, telling me I'm too uncoordinated to do it well. Those same thoughts get to me even as a 34-year old adult, despite us talking over it too. Got to remind myself that I'm not 14 and I'm doing this for fun.

That said, the feeling of landing a new trick still has that same rush even 20 years later. I like the phrase mental pollution, got to keep those bad jujus out of your head and enjoy the session.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 820
« Reply #301 on: September 15, 2020, 06:55:04 AM »
I get the time constraint being one of those subconscious restrictions that end up kind of fucking with your head, I remember being in a similar zone back when I was a law student, I had to scrape by in order to find just a couple of hours a week to skate and looking back it might have not been a coincidence that I was also trying to make every session count (for a while those times were the apex of my tech shit). I'm of the kind that just can't stand around and do nothing too but in reality if you're looking for productivity/progression it can actually be beneficial to 'slow down' on off days because getting frustrated is just you bonking your head against your own limitations instead of deciphering them. Slowing down doesn't necessarily mean slacking, I just see it as working on different areas of skating. For instance on days where I have low energy or my body is generally tired, I'll just mess around with simple stuff on flat without exerting myself and get better at that. Or some other days I'll just skate nothing but a flat bank and see how many of my 'classics' and which ones I can do that day and indirectly I always get better at them. Even just cruising around the street you always keep getting more experience in navigation around obstacles and people, every single little curb you ollie you're still refining your timing. There's no such thing as an unproductive session if you're really trying to micromanage your skating because every second spent on the board is literally practice. Then it's all up you optimize that practice time and usually unless you're going for something new, then long trick battles are counterproductive (especially if it's a trick you swear you can do easily on a different day; if the trick is in you and something else feels wrong that day then there's no point in cramming more parasite movement into your usual execution of the trick by insisting like a mad man). Tl;dr it's better to embrace your condition and limitations of the day and work with them to have a fun session instead of struggling against them. I actually got exponentially better at skating as soon as I stopped worrying over everything I couldn't do on certain days and instead started spending them focused on doing what I could actually do, because in reality something that suddenly feels wrong one day might suddenly feel right again the next, so obsessing over it is only distracting you from what your board is saying you should be doing now.

Also I find new tricks only feel all the more amazing getting older. Every single one is even more of a gift from the heavens.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #302 on: September 15, 2020, 08:46:35 AM »
I get the time constraint being one of those subconscious restrictions that end up kind of fucking with your head, I remember being in a similar zone back when I was a law student, I had to scrape by in order to find just a couple of hours a week to skate and looking back it might have not been a coincidence that I was also trying to make every session count (for a while those times were the apex of my tech shit). I'm of the kind that just can't stand around and do nothing too but in reality if you're looking for productivity/progression it can actually be beneficial to 'slow down' on off days because getting frustrated is just you bonking your head against your own limitations instead of deciphering them. Slowing down doesn't necessarily mean slacking, I just see it as working on different areas of skating. For instance on days where I have low energy or my body is generally tired, I'll just mess around with simple stuff on flat without exerting myself and get better at that. Or some other days I'll just skate nothing but a flat bank and see how many of my 'classics' and which ones I can do that day and indirectly I always get better at them. Even just cruising around the street you always keep getting more experience in navigation around obstacles and people, every single little curb you ollie you're still refining your timing. There's no such thing as an unproductive session if you're really trying to micromanage your skating because every second spent on the board is literally practice. Then it's all up you optimize that practice time and usually unless you're going for something new, then long trick battles are counterproductive (especially if it's a trick you swear you can do easily on a different day; if the trick is in you and something else feels wrong that day then there's no point in cramming more parasite movement into your usual execution of the trick by insisting like a mad man). Tl;dr it's better to embrace your condition and limitations of the day and work with them to have a fun session instead of struggling against them. I actually got exponentially better at skating as soon as I stopped worrying over everything I couldn't do on certain days and instead started spending them focused on doing what I could actually do, because in reality something that suddenly feels wrong one day might suddenly feel right again the next, so obsessing over it is only distracting you from what your board is saying you should be doing now.

Also I find new tricks only feel all the more amazing getting older. Every single one is even more of a gift from the heavens.

Some sage wisdom right there man, the last 2 pages should be made into a board graphic to remind myself to chill out.

I get really bad tunnel vision and I kick myself when the stuff I worked on last session isn't clicking today. I really have to be more chill with skateboarding and not let it kill me.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

Dirty_Dan90

• Rep: -1
« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2020, 06:58:44 AM »
Recently learned fakie front crooks and it took awhile to get the pinch right but now i can pop out of the metal ledge at my local park. Started to get the flick out but keep landing on the bottom of the deck or missing the flick completely. So hyped on this one even just trying it but its also frustrating thinking about a trick all day at work then spending most of the sesh after work just trying to inch closer to the trick but still no dice. just happy to finally be flipping out of shit, probably one of the most satisfying this to me.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
Fakie BS Nosegrind, the Kalis staple. Backside Tailslides again but the ledge at my local park is low, just below above ankle height.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »
Fakie BS Nosegrind, the Kalis staple. Backside Tailslides again but the ledge at my local park is low, just below above ankle height.

Same thing as I said for the frontside halfcab noseslide, just ollie higher and turn less

Hombreezy

• Rep: -37
  • fvck toy machine
« Reply #306 on: September 16, 2020, 05:16:45 PM »
Always sucked at regular backside bigspins. Itís like the only basic regular trick I donít have on lock at this point. Anyway I skated with my childhood best friend who also got me in to skating and we learned it together today. Super inconsistent and I land awkwardly a lot but I can do it perfect if I land with my shoulders right and jump out a bit. 
Trying to get my shoulders to catch up with the scoop on backside 360
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:41:38 PM by Hombreezy »
If you feel the urge to write some long, boring, self-congratulatory essay on here maybe just go jerk off instead.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #307 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same thing as I said for the frontside halfcab noseslide, just ollie higher and turn less

Yeah was locking in a few by accident while doing 1/2 Cab Frontside Noseslides, same principles.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #308 on: September 16, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
Not sure if itís this thread but @Gay Imp Sausage Metal  gave a tip on half cab to tail slide. I tried it on the curb Iíve been skating and it made sense. Thank you.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1000
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2020, 06:41:50 AM »
Not sure if itís this thread but @Gay Imp Sausage Metal  gave a tip on half cab to tail slide. I tried it on the curb Iíve been skating and it made sense. Thank you.
I did? Fakie front nose? Such a fun trick on low ledges

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #endlesstoecapsforthepuffyfooter

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #310 on: September 18, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I did? Fakie front nose? Such a fun trick on low ledges
Yeah it was some weird donít think about this truck as nollie or something like that. It was confusing a bit.
Went and tried it but realized I could just powerslide and kiss the curb.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

tony mugu

« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2020, 04:28:21 PM »
hi struggling with nose slides at the moment.

I can lock in and slide a little bit but I always come to a dead stop and I never seem to get the smooth slide most people get. Iíve worked out itís not a wax issue. Iím wondering if itís my foot placement as I donít always land with my whole foot on the nose. I can slappy noseslides a good distance however.

I have the same issue with crooked but I only have learnt those recently so itís more of a practice thing I think regarding crookeds.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2020, 10:36:27 PM »
hi struggling with nose slides at the moment.

I can lock in and slide a little bit but I always come to a dead stop and I never seem to get the smooth slide most people get. Iíve worked out itís not a wax issue. Iím wondering if itís my foot placement as I donít always land with my whole foot on the nose. I can slappy noseslides a good distance however.

I have the same issue with crooked but I only have learnt those recently so itís more of a practice thing I think regarding crookeds.

How high is the ledge your sliding on? I hate low ledges for noseslides because I never learned to slappy and always over-pop going into the slide.

It sounds like you are stomping your nose into the ledge rather than riding on top of the ledge. Ideally you want to pop just high enough so your forward momentum is maintained. Popping high will get you on the ledge, it will kill the forward momentum of the board, causing a short slide. Think of it as popping your board so it will hover on top of the ledge, and you turn off at the end in 1 motion to continue your direction of movement.

Vintagebody

• Rep: -28
« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2020, 01:35:25 AM »
Whats the secret to not making the board flip during 360 shuvs/big spins?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #314 on: September 19, 2020, 01:57:31 AM »

Don't hang your back toe over the edge of the tail too much, make sure to get as 'flat' of a pop as you can, try to keep your trucks level or slightly heelside leaning. These things help me.

S.

• Rep: 24
    • Fotos
« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2020, 05:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't hang your back toe over the edge of the tail too much, make sure to get as 'flat' of a pop as you can, try to keep your trucks level or slightly heelside leaning. These things help me.
It helps me when I have my toes pointed forward on my back foot. Even more do then when I do a kuckflip.

I am trying to Properly learn crooked grinds Switch an regular. And to get more consistent on frontside noseslides and switch frontside noseslides. It is my goal to learn proper a proper Fakie Ollie Switch Front nose. I either get stuck and fall out or I slide and slip out, hence I went back to learn proper switch frontside nose slides.

When I was young I would just force Tricks by trying them till I got them and then move one. I want to be able to feel and control my tricks better now. I figure an Andy Anderson approach to skating is better for longevity than the all will no skill kind of approach. I do miss Just going for broke sometimes, but whenever I do I get hurt more often than not...

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #316 on: September 19, 2020, 06:26:12 AM »
if anyoneís got advice on

fakie crooks or fakie tails - can work it out on curbs but I lose the board when I have to pop higher onto ledges. End up standing in stance on the ledge with no board. Also even on curbs for fakie tailslide I struggle to find the balance between slipping out on to my face and leaning too far back so it sticks.

fakie manuals- any trick to these? My reg manual and nose mannys are fine but my balance on fakie is trash and getting pitched is scary.

Brguy

• Rep: -35
« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »
As soon as I start skating again (probably not too long, foot feeling fine) I want to start getting long 50-50s with decent speed at a small round rail so I can do it at a bigger one in the streets.

sbmfj

• Rep: 10
« Reply #318 on: September 24, 2020, 11:00:55 AM »
Noseslide to krooked - no slappy tho.

Watched the Mike York trick tip - it really helped!!

Almost got one last night, but I couldnt seem to pop out of the krook, and i couldnt seem to fakie it either.

Next sesh. Funny tho, tried that trick earlier this year, but wasnt approaching it the right way.

Fun as hell tho. Last time I did one of those was like 94 - 26 years ago!!

Good times!

Damoforce

« Reply #319 on: September 26, 2020, 05:07:57 AM »
Trying to learn to kickflip, that old chestnut. It keeps landing 45 degrees in front of me backside.

lazer69

• Rep: -24
« Reply #320 on: September 26, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »
front shove back 50. Did a couple stationary on a small ledge the other day. Rolling into it feels like it is a whole dif game though.

slappyy

• Rep: 0
« Reply #321 on: September 26, 2020, 01:56:07 PM »
Trying to get my kickflips consistent. Can't stop landing on half flips.