Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47665 times)

Yibb-Tstll

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 52
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #330 on: October 20, 2020, 02:04:37 PM »
Not really a trick also, but I'm really annoyed by the "cigarette-crushing" foot placement I do before popping a trick. It's a bit distracting when I watch back my footage and I kinda focus on it. But after almost 20 years, it's a hard habit to break

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #331 on: October 23, 2020, 02:18:46 AM »
FS 360 shuvs. Landed a few before but it's a real tough one to get down.
Holy shit talk about a fucked up trick. i think ive met 1 guy who could do them proper. Doing these in a game of skate is an automatic letter

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #332 on: October 23, 2020, 02:20:41 AM »
i recently filmed myself doing a kickflip over stuff and realize my shoulders turn so frontside when I land I'm my upper body is literally turned 90 degrees frontside. Whatever I do I can't control my shoulders it's driving me crazy. I need like a straightjacket or something. I've even started practicing it with my arms like straight out facing forward and back and I still turn

Have you tried lifting your arms? I had the same exact issue for high pop shuvs and lifting my arms "fixed" it

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #333 on: October 23, 2020, 02:45:19 AM »
Back 3's are such an enigma to me. I usually have a phase about once a year where I really grind for them and will get away with maybe a couple decent ones, but it never sticks.

Im still young and im wondering if losing tricks is tied to aging? Cause whenever i learn a trick i usually get it locked
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 01:25:50 AM by treflips_up_yer_nan »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #334 on: October 23, 2020, 06:39:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Back 3's are such an enigma to me. I usually have a phase about once a year where I really grind for them and will get away with maybe a couple decent ones, but it never sticks.
[close]

Im still young and im wondering if losing tricks is tied to aging? Cause whenever i learn a trick i usually get i locked

From my experience you just tend to lose what you stop practicing in general. Some people skate less with age and lose leg strength and technical ability (or physically wear themselves out), or sometimes when you've been skating for a long time and have learned hundreds of tricks in the past you just specialize in the ones you like the best and slack on the rest (and when you've been skating for an especially long time, you can end up going through different phases of that and eventually most everything more or less sticks in the end). People commonly stress about losing tricks but in reality they shouldn't, if it's something they've done once before there should be no reason why they couldn't replicate it and learn it consistently, it's all about the person's willpower to actually put in the effort vs. sticking to daydreaming about the old days instead.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #335 on: October 23, 2020, 08:45:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Im still young and im wondering if losing tricks is tied to aging? Cause whenever i learn a trick i usually get i locked
[close]

From my experience you just tend to lose what you stop practicing in general. Some people skate less with age and lose leg strength and technical ability (or physically wear themselves out), or sometimes when you've been skating for a long time and have learned hundreds of tricks in the past you just specialize in the ones you like the best and slack on the rest (and when you've been skating for an especially long time, you can end up going through different phases of that and eventually most everything more or less sticks in the end). People commonly stress about losing tricks but in reality they shouldn't, if it's something they've done once before there should be no reason why they couldn't replicate it and learn it consistently, it's all about the person's willpower to actually put in the effort vs. sticking to daydreaming about the old days instead.

I agree with silhouette that romanticizing about the tricks you could do in your past is rarely helpful. You can get them back but it takes effort and will power. It's also the stuff that you do off your board to stay in shape that help you get your old staples back.

Bad ankles and mob kickflips? Get resistance bands to strengthen the muscles around your ankles, spend a couple of minutes every day flicking to get the motion back.
Joints tightening up and hindering your 180s? Get some stretching or yoga in during the week to remain limber and maintain the range of motion in your hips and pelvis.
Exhausted after 30 minutes of skating? Don't neglect your cardio and go for a run once or twice a week.

Board time is a rarer as you get older. Make an effort to keep your body in shape so that you can be more "productive" during your session. It's fun to kick back with the homies and shoot the breeze, but I want to land stuff too. Skateboarders can be anti-everything, but little steps to keep your body in shape pays big dividends.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1269
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #336 on: October 23, 2020, 08:55:48 AM »
I ball my back fist up when doing any trick and am willing to give up 50% of my trick bag just to do stuff with open hands.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #337 on: October 23, 2020, 09:55:37 AM »
Nollie fs flips. I could use some advice.
I've never landed one on flat to my knowledge.

Everything looks fine. Im mirroring my half cab one exactly but I get much different results.

My head is right my arms are right my foot positioning is fine.

The board always is way too boned to pull back underneath me and I slip out.

If I stomp on it I'll bust the nose off for sure.

If I do get my sole on the bolts instead of the side of my foot it is because I didn't put my flicking foot back on the board.

My homie said once those are way better than your Fakie ones.

This kinda hurts my feelings but whatever.
I guess it's good to hear any feed back from friends who I respect as skaters or exskaters.

Skaters really.
In my opinion if you got more than 5 years on a board your a skater for life.

But yeah no matter how good the attempt looks it's never better than a make. You know.

I can do nollie fs flip sw nocomply like every try. We all know that's not a real trick if you can't land the first part ever.

Nasty idiot I am
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 10:14:33 AM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 970
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #338 on: October 23, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
I ball my back fist up when doing any trick and am willing to give up 50% of my trick bag just to do stuff with open hands.

That's might be a tough one. I purposely changed my back hand style a few times. Most recently in 2016 I got this ocd set up for crooks. Front crooks especially. I cannot do front crook with out bringing my back hand up to my face like I'm drinking a beer. Regular crooks I bring my back hand all the way over to my front ear like I'm listening for a yodeler in the valley of ledges or whatever lol

I'm so frickin crazy lol. I have a stupid little rituals that have developed over time to combat things I found displeasing in my skating.

So closed hand I would practice something like this maybe.

Skate with something in hand like idk a worry stone or a bottle cap?

Right when you're about to do a trick if you feel the grip growing drop it on the ground? Do this over and over.

Maybe you will take out a scooterer with the worry stone.

That would be cool.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #339 on: October 23, 2020, 01:53:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's might be a tough one. I purposely changed my back hand style a few times. Most recently in 2016 I got this ocd set up for crooks. Front crooks especially. I cannot do front crook with out bringing my back hand up to my face like I'm drinking a beer. Regular crooks I bring my back hand all the way over to my front ear like I'm listening for a yodeler in the valley of ledges or whatever lol

I'm so frickin crazy lol. I have a stupid little rituals that have developed over time to combat things I found displeasing in my skating.

So closed hand I would practice something like this maybe.

Skate with something in hand like idk a worry stone or a bottle cap?

Right when you're about to do a trick if you feel the grip growing drop it on the ground? Do this over and over.

Maybe you will take out a scooterer with the worry stone.

That would be cool.

Don’t we all have little stupid rituals :P Reynolds has arguably some of the strangest habits before dropping hammers and honestly if it helps you skate better who cares.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #340 on: October 23, 2020, 02:29:43 PM »
switch frontside 360
frontside 360

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #341 on: October 25, 2020, 07:50:54 AM »
My brain just shuts down on kickflips at full cruising speed and it’s driving me crazy. I’ve got them comfortably every step of the way until I give one last push and everything stops working. I’ve just gotta fight through it and keep trying but damn.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #342 on: October 29, 2020, 12:33:35 PM »
fs smith on ledge

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 556
« Reply #343 on: November 05, 2020, 10:41:32 PM »
This is going to sound ridiculous but I can't backside noseslide at all. Been trying to learn them on curbs but when I lock in, I just rotate on my nose and come out fakie without sliding. I can fs noseslide and bs/fs boardslide so not sure why this one is throwing me off so much. Any tips?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #344 on: November 06, 2020, 02:24:50 AM »
This is going to sound ridiculous but I can't backside noseslide at all. Been trying to learn them on curbs but when I lock in, I just rotate on my nose and come out fakie without sliding. I can fs noseslide and bs/fs boardslide so not sure why this one is throwing me off so much. Any tips?

Turn less than 90 when going in, and dont turn your shoulders at all, just lower body.

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #345 on: November 06, 2020, 07:19:58 AM »
Front nose grind shuv
I’ve tried about 5 hours total.
Got close a handful of times but still haven’t put it down.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #346 on: November 12, 2020, 06:17:08 AM »
I am trying to get quick feet , it's frustrating but fun and I know it will be worth it in the end.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #347 on: November 12, 2020, 10:38:12 AM »
@johnes you trying the shove out frontside too or backside? Backside I find is really easy, barely different from doing it out of nosewheelie. Frontside is harder because the board has to go over the top of the ledge and that's harder to control unless you do it at the end of the obstacle.

@dallou the best way to get quicker feet is to cruise around a lot and ollie every other small thing, I think that's the best and most fun way to learn how to spontaneously react to stuff coming up every second and pick it up real quickly.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 92
« Reply #348 on: November 12, 2020, 02:52:29 PM »
fs crooks and backside 5050 popout fs 180

got pretty damn close to sticking some fs crooks in todays sesh, turned out just going fast made it way easier for me.

the second trick was giving me a lot of trouble. felt really awkward and struggled to get the fs rotation. super easy when doing it off the end of a ledge but once you are trying to move off the ledge and spin the other way i just couldnt get it to feel right. now that im back home I feel that speed would help solve that and opening up the shoulders more while still in the grind. one of those tricks that seems way easier in your head than in practice

also perpetually stumped by 360 flips. got a few good ones a couple weeks back but lost em and struggle to keep the board under me but i can get the flip no problem

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: November 12, 2020, 07:26:21 PM »
fs crooks and backside 5050 popout fs 180

also perpetually stumped by 360 flips. got a few good ones a couple weeks back but lost em and struggle to keep the board under me but i can get the flip no problem

Same, hit and miss for me. Got to re-learn the muscle memory every time I try it, gets progressively better longer into the session.

If anyone knows the secret sauce for FS Feeble grinds on rails, I would appreciate it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #350 on: November 13, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »
Nollie fs flips. I could use some advice.
I've never landed one on flat to my knowledge.

Everything looks fine. Im mirroring my half cab one exactly but I get much different results.

My head is right my arms are right my foot positioning is fine.

The board always is way too boned to pull back underneath me and I slip out.

If I stomp on it I'll bust the nose off for sure.

If I do get my sole on the bolts instead of the side of my foot it is because I didn't put my flicking foot back on the board.

My homie said once those are way better than your Fakie ones.

This kinda hurts my feelings but whatever.
I guess it's good to hear any feed back from friends who I respect as skaters or exskaters.

Skaters really.
In my opinion if you got more than 5 years on a board your a skater for life.

But yeah no matter how good the attempt looks it's never better than a make. You know.

I can do nollie fs flip sw nocomply like every try. We all know that's not a real trick if you can't land the first part ever.

Nasty idiot I am

I’m not good at them but when I land a few I notice that I look back slightly kinda like you would on a fakie one. You said your mirroring your fakie one not sure if your doing that part of not give it a try.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #351 on: November 13, 2020, 10:12:54 AM »
@johnes you trying the shove out frontside too or backside? Backside I find is really easy, barely different from doing it out of nosewheelie. Frontside is harder because the board has to go over the top of the ledge and that's harder to control unless you do it at the end of the obstacle.

@dallou the best way to get quicker feet is to cruise around a lot and ollie every other small thing, I think that's the best and most fun way to learn how to spontaneously react to stuff coming up every second and pick it up real quickly.

Yes, thank you for the tip !

KushBush

• Rep: 2
« Reply #352 on: November 14, 2020, 02:44:51 PM »
Not a trick more of a technique I’m trying to learn. I have 360 flips every try but I find I flick too much and I dont catch them well. Does anyone have tips to scoop and flip the board fast to catch it when the board reaches its peak height. I’m wondering if it is because I’m short that I don’t have a powerful scoop, because everyone I watch (Kalis, Nate Jones, Jamie platt, etc.) all have a mean tre flip and are tall.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #353 on: November 15, 2020, 01:09:44 PM »
Not a trick more of a technique I’m trying to learn. I have 360 flips every try but I find I flick too much and I dont catch them well. Does anyone have tips to scoop and flip the board fast to catch it when the board reaches its peak height. I’m wondering if it is because I’m short that I don’t have a powerful scoop, because everyone I watch (Kalis, Nate Jones, Jamie platt, etc.) all have a mean tre flip and are tall.

There's a clip from on instagram that kalis posted recently. Someone filmed him doing a treflip from an angle where you can see his foot position quite well. What helped me pop them higher was putting my front foot more in the middle of the board the way that he does in that clip

KushBush

• Rep: 2
« Reply #354 on: November 15, 2020, 06:19:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's a clip from on instagram that kalis posted recently. Someone filmed him doing a treflip from an angle where you can see his foot position quite well. What helped me pop them higher was putting my front foot more in the middle of the board the way that he does in that clip

Thanks man! Just checked out his Instagram and I see what you mean by the front foot near the middle. Looking at mine, I always tend to have my front foot close to my back foot. So commence the unlearning process! I’ll give it a go.

Josepsh

• Rep: -5
« Reply #355 on: November 15, 2020, 06:57:41 PM »
working on 5-0s. No matter what I do I can't get my weight distribution right :/
I'm trying too learn kick flips ?. .

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 532
« Reply #356 on: November 15, 2020, 07:37:50 PM »
Trying to learn better technique on flat (just flat ground skating and flat gaps), especially with flip tricks. My kick flips, heels, and even ollies on flat are lower than I'd like, which I think is natural without an object to try to get over, but I want to comfortably yet them higher so I feel more confident trying to go up and over things.

I am tired of stomping stuff out because I'm not giving myself enough height and time to land comfortably. I think I'm either not jumping high enough, not bending my knees enough, or I have poor timing... or a combination of the three. I feel like I'm doin damage to my lower back too coming down so hard on flat ground kick flips lol.

One weird thing that has helped this is actually intentionally leaning forward and lowering my front shoulder... idk what the connection there is but focusing on maintaining forward momentum while I'm going up has added height to my tricks.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: November 16, 2020, 02:51:59 AM »
FS Nosegrind 180 out. Tried them for 2 hours in the blazing heat and only did 3 under-rotates ones. Trick tip videos aren't helpful - use your shoulders to rotate out is not helpful enough. Ideally I want to get a decent length grind before the 180 out but all the trick tips teach the nosebonk version.

Some observations:
- Can't keep my weight centered over my front truck, or maybe it's too centered and not in a position to rotate out?
- I get the best success when I pop low enough to lock in, too high and my tail is too high up, too much weight is on my nose

Where should I be looking before during and after the grind? And if anyone has the word on them, please spread the move.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #358 on: November 16, 2020, 06:09:03 AM »
Back powerslide to back tail slappy on curbs, I can lock in fine, so I think I just need to play with them a bit more.

Also, was doing fakie big spin late reverts yesterday (or at least getting very close to theM) so I may as well learn bigger spins right?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #359 on: November 16, 2020, 06:59:25 AM »
Back powerslide to back tail slappy on curbs, I can lock in fine, so I think I just need to play with them a bit more.

Also, was doing fakie big spin late reverts yesterday (or at least getting very close to theM) so I may as well learn bigger spins right?

I was trying these frontside recently. I think the curb I was skating was just a hair too short cuz every time I'd get in I'd sorta just stall downward.