Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 15043 times)

Urtripping

• Rep: 1
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #360 on: November 15, 2020, 07:37:50 PM »
Trying to learn better technique on flat (just flat ground skating and flat gaps), especially with flip tricks. My kick flips, heels, and even ollies on flat are lower than I'd like, which I think is natural without an object to try to get over, but I want to comfortably yet them higher so I feel more confident trying to go up and over things.

I am tired of stomping stuff out because I'm not giving myself enough height and time to land comfortably. I think I'm either not jumping high enough, not bending my knees enough, or I have poor timing... or a combination of the three. I feel like I'm doin damage to my lower back too coming down so hard on flat ground kick flips lol.

One weird thing that has helped this is actually intentionally leaning forward and lowering my front shoulder... idk what the connection there is but focusing on maintaining forward momentum while I'm going up has added height to my tricks.
Ah good day, to you'se...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #361 on: November 16, 2020, 02:51:59 AM »
FS Nosegrind 180 out. Tried them for 2 hours in the blazing heat and only did 3 under-rotates ones. Trick tip videos aren't helpful - use your shoulders to rotate out is not helpful enough. Ideally I want to get a decent length grind before the 180 out but all the trick tips teach the nosebonk version.

Some observations:
- Can't keep my weight centered over my front truck, or maybe it's too centered and not in a position to rotate out?
- I get the best success when I pop low enough to lock in, too high and my tail is too high up, too much weight is on my nose

Where should I be looking before during and after the grind? And if anyone has the word on them, please spread the move.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -968
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #362 on: November 16, 2020, 06:09:03 AM »
Back powerslide to back tail slappy on curbs, I can lock in fine, so I think I just need to play with them a bit more.

Also, was doing fakie big spin late reverts yesterday (or at least getting very close to theM) so I may as well learn bigger spins right?

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #endlesstoecapsforthepuffyfooter

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 958
  • formally the_unknown_soldier
« Reply #363 on: November 16, 2020, 06:59:25 AM »
Back powerslide to back tail slappy on curbs, I can lock in fine, so I think I just need to play with them a bit more.

Also, was doing fakie big spin late reverts yesterday (or at least getting very close to theM) so I may as well learn bigger spins right?

I was trying these frontside recently. I think the curb I was skating was just a hair too short cuz every time I'd get in I'd sorta just stall downward.

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -968
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #364 on: November 16, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »
I can do the frontside version, thatís what sparked me to start learning them backside. You need to go extra fast because the powerslide slows you down a lot, canít seem to slide them very far though once Iím locked in...

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #endlesstoecapsforthepuffyfooter

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #365 on: November 16, 2020, 02:44:25 PM »
I can do the frontside version, thatís what sparked me to start learning them backside. You need to go extra fast because the powerslide slows you down a lot, canít seem to slide them very far though once Iím locked in...

That got me thinking, I can't really do those noseblunt powerslide things on flat but but if you or anyone else can, I just imagined one into an actual nosebluntslide on a curb would be sick. You'd have to either find the perfect curb size and shape or somehow nudge yourself up there, maybe using the wheel bounce from the 'slappy'.

Glurmpz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
« Reply #366 on: November 16, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That got me thinking, I can't really do those noseblunt powerslide things on flat but but if you or anyone else can, I just imagined one into an actual nosebluntslide on a curb would be sick. You'd have to either find the perfect curb size and shape or somehow nudge yourself up there, maybe using the wheel bounce from the 'slappy'.

You just reminded me that I used to do something similar for a short period in the early 2000ís and completely forgot about it.
I would go into a nosebluntslide from riding on top of the ledge. So basically, the power slide style but youíre already on top. Tried out of nose manual but never quite got it.

sKINGraft

• Rep: 11
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #367 on: November 17, 2020, 12:06:40 PM »
Not a trick more of a technique Iím trying to learn. I have 360 flips every try but I find I flick too much and I dont catch them well. Does anyone have tips to scoop and flip the board fast to catch it when the board reaches its peak height. Iím wondering if it is because Iím short that I donít have a powerful scoop, because everyone I watch (Kalis, Nate Jones, Jamie platt, etc.) all have a mean tre flip and are tall.

dont scoop it unless you expect to get your height through the helicopter motion your board will do

pop it same as you would any other trick, i find popping your backfoot slightly backwards (reverse of direction of travel) helps to send it upwards AND keep it underneath you

dont forget to jump

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: -9
« Reply #368 on: November 19, 2020, 02:23:01 PM »
How the fuck do people learn and keep flatground tricks

I got a pretty good bag of ledge tricks, but my flatground just keeps getting worse and worse. Probably like 4 months ago I had shuvs, bigspin, kickflip, heelflip, and could catch a couple fs flips and get really close to tres. The tricks I had also felt good like I did kf 5050 and kf manual.

Now I lost all of them and it's not for lack of trying just day by day they get worse and worse until it becomes such a challenge to land even one kickflip even though they used to be almost every try. I know so many of my friends who can barely do a 5050 but have a deep ass bag of flatground tricks just from messing around, not even trying hard to learn anything. Whats the secret I don't wanna just only be able to ollie and shuv damnit

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #369 on: November 19, 2020, 06:34:54 PM »
How the fuck do people learn and keep flatground tricks

I got a pretty good bag of ledge tricks, but my flatground just keeps getting worse and worse. Probably like 4 months ago I had shuvs, bigspin, kickflip, heelflip, and could catch a couple fs flips and get really close to tres. The tricks I had also felt good like I did kf 5050 and kf manual.

Now I lost all of them and it's not for lack of trying just day by day they get worse and worse until it becomes such a challenge to land even one kickflip even though they used to be almost every try. I know so many of my friends who can barely do a 5050 but have a deep ass bag of flatground tricks just from messing around, not even trying hard to learn anything. Whats the secret I don't wanna just only be able to ollie and shuv damnit

Same struggle here, I have all my basic ledge tricks but I suck at flatground. I've given up on heelflips entirely (fuck 'em) and only do kickflip variations. And likewise I've seen kids who have a deep bag of flatground tricks and perfect 360 flips but struggle with 50-50s. A year ago I could only BS Shuv, FS Shuv, FS Flip and Half-Cab Flip; every regular kickflip was a rocket + mob flip. Fast forward today and I've got my staples down, still not deep by any means but more consistent than a year ago. Even added Big Spins, BS Kickflip (10 year struggle), 360 flips and occasionally switch heelflips,

Speaking anecdotally: flatground tricks are finesse tricks, requiring much more precision to get weight distribution, timing, rotation, eye point right. If you're popping at a weird angle or your shoulders aren't aligned the board doesn't cooperate. Grind / slide tricks are much more forgiving in terms of precise motion since you can compensate it with speed and forward momentum. That said a KF BS Tailslide or popping out mid-ledge of a Nosegrind still requires precision, just a different kind.

It's frustrating to have a small bag of flatground tricks and the problem is exacerbated when I'm at the park, neglecting any flatground so I can keep skating the ledge.

I can't do them well
I'll skate other things
My flatground deteriorates
I can't do them well
I'll skate other things
I can't do them well
I'll skate other things

It's pop science but flatground works best for me when I'm not overthinking it or trying too hard. I stick to the stuff I know I can land, like a kickflip and correct it from there. Are my shoulders aligned? Am I getting a solid pop? Flicking too late? Dipping my head? Then apply that same line of working through the rest of the flatground tricks bit by bit. @silhouette mentioned it before but Fakie / Nollie variations of tricks can much easier than their regular / switch counterparts, so have fun with those. Also, a little help from a bank can do wonders to giving you the extra height / rotation needed.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #370 on: November 20, 2020, 01:03:31 AM »
For flatground stuff, understanding the technical aspect in the first place is important but as far as physical practice I'd say sweating it is counterproductive to a degree (unless you're really trying to learn something fucked up hard), in other terms whenever one wants to get specific flatground dialed I've observed that most of the time they're better off regularly throwing the tricks in the middle or at the end of their lines, casually, than singling them out and repeatedly trying them over and over. Once they've figured out how to form a trick, they're really just wasting energy and might even develop bad habits by doing that. Doing stuff in lines makes you really want it in the spur of the moment, whereas repeatedly trying a flatground trick you're barely able to form, your brain will really start tuning off a few unsuccessful attempts into the process.

Also something I never really see people bring up is actually keeping landing tricks throughout a session is important, and it doesn't matter what the tricks are and how simple, frequency on makes count in the flow and vibe of a session. Doing all the shit you have dialed and landing more stuff than you bail in general will keep you in the groove whereas repeatedly failing stuff and spending more time on the ground than rolling around will break it and make everything a lot harder (occasionally sending you into a downwards spiral mentally). If something just doesn't work in a few tries just fuck it, keep going with more lands on other stuff and try again later. Basically the logic behind the THPS special meter is real, regardless of how corny that vulgarization might sound.

Sila

• Rep: 38
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #371 on: November 20, 2020, 01:23:40 AM »
Also something I never really see people bring up is actually keeping landing tricks throughout a session is important, and it doesn't matter what the tricks are and how simple, frequency on makes count in the flow and vibe of a session. Doing all the shit you have dialed and landing more stuff than you bail in general will keep you in the groove whereas repeatedly failing stuff and spending more time on the ground than rolling around will break it and make everything a lot harder (occasionally sending you into a downwards spiral mentally). If something just doesn't work in a few tries just fuck it, keep going with more lands on other stuff and try again later. Basically the logic behind the THPS special meter is real, regardless of how corny that vulgarization might sound.

For sure. I think it also helps calm you down and you skate with a lot less tension both physically and psychologically.  Spending a lot of time missing tricks is jarring and you end up nit-picking where you go wrong and spend a lot of the session in a doubtful state of mind.
My old basketball coach would always get me to warm up with easy shots close to the basket or at my favoured "go to" spots for the same reason.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #372 on: November 20, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
Everyone needs encouragement during their sport or activity. In Muay Thai my coaches would smile or exclaim loudly on a solid kick or combination to keep my morale up.
I used to keep trying tricks for hours on end growing up but it really stunted my progress and killed me mentally. These days I'll see how I'm feeling during the session. If things are flowing well I'll push myself to try something new. If not I'll stick to my staples but get them cleaner, faster, longer etc.
Incorporating tricks in a line is a lot of fun too and feels much more natural than hammering 1 trick out for hours. It looks good and feels good.

Got to get that special meter fully charged!

Urtripping

• Rep: 1
« Reply #373 on: November 21, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
Totally agree with all that's being said about not forcing the process of learning tricks and making sure to take time to do things you know you can make and have fun doing during a session.

Set out for an early morning session with the end goal of landing a few fakie heels, which give me nightmares because I'm at the point where I land every one in five or so. I'm really close to dialing them in.

Instead of heading right for the flat ground bball court at my local, I warmed up with other shit and skated the ledges... didn't even think about fakie heels. Then I cruised over to the smooth flat and threw about 4 or 5 with no luck, so I went back to skating ledges and having fun. I repeated this a few times and then ended up landing a few in a row on one trip to the flat, which def would not have happened if I stressed over them for an hour straight.

It's all in ya head.
Ah good day, to you'se...