Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 35038 times)

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
  • Please send symmetrical board information
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #810 on: September 09, 2022, 06:06:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Front tails. I always just seem to stick and get locked up. BSTS doesn't give me that issue at all.
[close]

Are you popping too high and slamming your tail down on the ledge? I struggled with them for years as a teenager. Only got them consistent a few years ago. I tell myself that I have to maintain my forward my momentum during the slide, so popping gently and dragging my foot sideways will help me get my tail just on top of the ledge without stomping it down.
[close]

Damn, I think that's exactly what I do every time now that you mention. I think it's because I struggle with popping into them so I jump as high as possible. I'll try not slamming down so hard.

Thanks !
[close]

Frontside tailslide I feel like is mostly a lower body trick and is a bit similar to frontside lipslides on ledges in that you don't want to stomp down on them and mostly want to glide along for a (more or less) quick ride then dismount back to riding away. You know how you approach and scoop frontside ollies on transition (or even basic ones on banks), you want that type of semi frontal but also semi sideways approach (pretend the ledge/rail is coping, even rolling up from flat ground), open but not parallel, also your shoulders sort of never really move and keep facing the direction you're going. From that point on what you want to do is (whenever the timing and aiming feels right) pop like you would one of those frontside ollies, but actually make sure to level it out (to ensure the tail does clear the top of the ledge), and then very similarly to a shifty ollie you would hold onto (with the intent of bringing it back around) it's very much a hip thing. Like I was saying your shoulders don't move but your front foot guides the board around, levels it and then the back leg takes over (so not too early or you'll bash into the obstacle), applies your tail onto the ledge where you can stand and then for the dismount you just unwind back (or think full frontside ollie the whole time if trying to go to fakie).

Crazy to me how back tails are easier to you, I think that's my first time hearing about someone like that. Hope you get those frontside ones, it's a great trick too when done right and with speed.

Any chance you have a good clip as an example, or a pro to search up with a solid one? Worked on them the other day with very little success.
(Obviously I can find a front tail from pretty much any pro but I like seeing peoples suggestions)

Expand Quote
Front tails. I always just seem to stick and get locked up. BSTS doesn't give me that issue at all.
[close]

Ha, I'm your reverse, I always stick on backside tails. I've slid maybe 10 or 20 in the thousands of times I've tried that trick over the years, and when that happens they usually slide way more than I expect them to and I slip out. The vast majority of times I try that trick I stick and jump off or stick and roll away slowly and disappointed.

We all have our weaknesses, I have a friend who's basically the same as you just said. We've back doing bsts/fsts in a line to try and get them better.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #811 on: September 11, 2022, 07:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you popping too high and slamming your tail down on the ledge? I struggled with them for years as a teenager. Only got them consistent a few years ago. I tell myself that I have to maintain my forward my momentum during the slide, so popping gently and dragging my foot sideways will help me get my tail just on top of the ledge without stomping it down.
[close]

Damn, I think that's exactly what I do every time now that you mention. I think it's because I struggle with popping into them so I jump as high as possible. I'll try not slamming down so hard.

Thanks !
[close]

Frontside tailslide I feel like is mostly a lower body trick and is a bit similar to frontside lipslides on ledges in that you don't want to stomp down on them and mostly want to glide along for a (more or less) quick ride then dismount back to riding away. You know how you approach and scoop frontside ollies on transition (or even basic ones on banks), you want that type of semi frontal but also semi sideways approach (pretend the ledge/rail is coping, even rolling up from flat ground), open but not parallel, also your shoulders sort of never really move and keep facing the direction you're going. From that point on what you want to do is (whenever the timing and aiming feels right) pop like you would one of those frontside ollies, but actually make sure to level it out (to ensure the tail does clear the top of the ledge), and then very similarly to a shifty ollie you would hold onto (with the intent of bringing it back around) it's very much a hip thing. Like I was saying your shoulders don't move but your front foot guides the board around, levels it and then the back leg takes over (so not too early or you'll bash into the obstacle), applies your tail onto the ledge where you can stand and then for the dismount you just unwind back (or think full frontside ollie the whole time if trying to go to fakie).

Crazy to me how back tails are easier to you, I think that's my first time hearing about someone like that. Hope you get those frontside ones, it's a great trick too when done right and with speed.
[close]

Any chance you have a good clip as an example, or a pro to search up with a solid one? Worked on them the other day with very little success.
(Obviously I can find a front tail from pretty much any pro but I like seeing peoples suggestions)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ha, I'm your reverse, I always stick on backside tails. I've slid maybe 10 or 20 in the thousands of times I've tried that trick over the years, and when that happens they usually slide way more than I expect them to and I slip out. The vast majority of times I try that trick I stick and jump off or stick and roll away slowly and disappointed.
[close]

We all have our weaknesses, I have a friend who's basically the same as you just said. We've back doing bsts/fsts in a line to try and get them better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ozQVAD6K4
Fun clip, not super helpful in term of instructions but you can see in a lot of the tailslides they are popping just high enough to get on to the ledge without stomping it in, at 1:11 you'll see that he's popping up while maintaining the forward momentum, going just high enough to get his back foot and tail on the ledge.

https://youtu.be/lIzdYcMKgYc
1:54 - front foot focuses on dragging up slightly and more side ways to level out the board to give you height and the back foot slots the tail into the ledge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwaWcXek4b8
1:33 - front foot does most of the work to give you height, back foot lifts up slightly to get up and on the ledge, slots the tail in
2:32 - too much pressure on the toes

Baswell Cerry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #812 on: September 12, 2022, 06:11:14 AM »
How to skate with others  :P

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #813 on: September 15, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »
christ air off the jump ramp

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #814 on: September 15, 2022, 04:49:01 PM »
I gotta get back on my frontside tailslides! I was locking in on a little baby ledge like two years ago and and just kinda bailed on them. Thanks for the inspiration. Doing the least amount possible with my front foot always seemed to help. I actually started by just practicing jumping on my left foot (Iím goofy) from ground to ledge and balancing. Helped a ton.

tom

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
  • the moon rules
« Reply #815 on: September 15, 2022, 07:56:00 PM »
Iím trying to learn backside 360ís. The front foot comes off, gets all the way around, and lands back on my board. My back foot comes off the board sometime after 270 and I think itís because I stop turning my shoulders at the same time. I have to figure out how to turn them more and hopefully my back foot will stay on
fuck you bama

JJ_Skates

• Rep: 12
« Reply #816 on: September 18, 2022, 06:56:26 PM »
Hey @Tom, not sure if this will help you massively but this is the best tutorial I've found on BS 360's.
https://youtu.be/D2zq6OacC_U

sacking rails

• sacking rails
« Reply #817 on: September 19, 2022, 05:17:47 AM »
nah just pivot them like everyone else

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1564
« Reply #818 on: September 19, 2022, 05:41:11 AM »
Trying to figure out how to grind feebles longer on transition. Feeble to fakie is one of my favorite lip tricks and I can do a few variations of it, but anytime I try to grind longer than like a foot my body just turns and my board goes to rock.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 3
« Reply #819 on: September 19, 2022, 10:42:46 AM »
Trying to land more tre flips. My biggest challenge is catching bolts, lot of times I'm finding myself landing to fast forward with one foot on the nose and the back foot in the middle.