Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48028 times)

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2020, 09:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone got slappy front crooks? I wanna learn them regs and switch. Messed around a few times today couldnt make it happen.
[close]

I've tried them before. I think the start of it is kinda like a normal frontside slappy but you gotta only do the start of the slappy motion and as soon as your truck gets on you gotta stop rotating and put all the pressure on your front toe to pinch. Dont really know how to come out though. Would like to try em switch too. Just learned sw bs slappy crook and theyre suuuuper fun and chill.

I also recently learned slappy swbs crooks. My new fave trick. Took a minute to figure out but once I did they’re pretty easy. Hopefully gonna workshop FS tomorrow of it doesn’t rain here.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2020, 01:25:13 AM »
I'll put my inferior f/s no-comply out there. If anyone has any tips about what I can do to make my f/s no-complies more fluid and quick, I'd be happy to hear them.

I think a large part of why I do them fairly slowly is that I don't have a lot of control with my back foot - the board goes flying out, or flips a little, or stabs my leg. So, I move slowly for a little more control. Maybe I just need more practice.

I've been trying to remember "plant, pop, move" to plant my foot, pop my board, and move my foot off the ground and back on. Also trying to tell myself to move my foot off the ground as soon as the board starts to go back down.

Also any tips for no-comply 360s are much appreciated.

Can't see your .gif here as it appears to be expired, but there's a sweet spot to find as far as the back foot positioning is concerned for 43's, I have my foot covering the whole width of the tail (kind of like I would for an impossible) and then I don't really think in terms of frontside 180 but mostly just extend my popping leg forward in front of me all the while jumping with it to accompany the motion, at least that's my way of getting a good smack of the tail against the ground and then you essentially just use the rebound as the board remains attached to your back foot (remember you'll need to bring that one back up for height too). Again similarly to impossibles, the more tension you build up over the surface of the board using your weight on both feet pre-pop, and then the higher you can suck your legs up on the jump, the higher you'll get.

For 360's (frontside I assume?), you have to wind up and trust the 360 which can be scary at first but becomes more natural as you develop confidence on the trick, but if you get the technique I was describing for the 180's down then 360's become just a matter of adding force/momentum and thus just as automatic.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 01:28:42 AM by silhouette »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2020, 02:27:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone got slappy front crooks? I wanna learn them regs and switch. Messed around a few times today couldnt make it happen.
[close]

I've tried them before. I think the start of it is kinda like a normal frontside slappy but you gotta only do the start of the slappy motion and as soon as your truck gets on you gotta stop rotating and put all the pressure on your front toe to pinch. Dont really know how to come out though. Would like to try em switch too. Just learned sw bs slappy crook and theyre suuuuper fun and chill.
[close]

I also recently learned slappy swbs crooks. My new fave trick. Took a minute to figure out but once I did they’re pretty easy. Hopefully gonna workshop FS tomorrow of it doesn’t rain here.

Yeah the sw bs ones are great. Same here, tried jamming a few every time I skated and one day they just worked. Need to get better at popping out though. Let me know if you figure anything out the on the slappy fs crooks.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2020, 07:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote
I'll put my inferior f/s no-comply out there. If anyone has any tips about what I can do to make my f/s no-complies more fluid and quick, I'd be happy to hear them.

I think a large part of why I do them fairly slowly is that I don't have a lot of control with my back foot - the board goes flying out, or flips a little, or stabs my leg. So, I move slowly for a little more control. Maybe I just need more practice.

I've been trying to remember "plant, pop, move" to plant my foot, pop my board, and move my foot off the ground and back on. Also trying to tell myself to move my foot off the ground as soon as the board starts to go back down.

Also any tips for no-comply 360s are much appreciated.
[close]

Can't see your .gif here as it appears to be expired, but there's a sweet spot to find as far as the back foot positioning is concerned for 43's, I have my foot covering the whole width of the tail (kind of like I would for an impossible) and then I don't really think in terms of frontside 180 but mostly just extend my popping leg forward in front of me all the while jumping with it to accompany the motion, at least that's my way of getting a good smack of the tail against the ground and then you essentially just use the rebound as the board remains attached to your back foot (remember you'll need to bring that one back up for height too). Again similarly to impossibles, the more tension you build up over the surface of the board using your weight on both feet pre-pop, and then the higher you can suck your legs up on the jump, the higher you'll get.

For 360's (frontside I assume?), you have to wind up and trust the 360 which can be scary at first but becomes more natural as you develop confidence on the trick, but if you get the technique I was describing for the 180's down then 360's become just a matter of adding force/momentum and thus just as automatic.

Merci beaucoup pour l'information, mon ami. Vous ιtιs le meilleur professeur. I'll try your tips out. I also re-uploaded my awful no-comply if you're still interested. I know it's too big but I couldn't find a suitable video resizer apparently.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2020, 05:14:23 AM »
Want to bs roll into a 6ft or bigger.  I can do the 5 fts.  Other then that I'm trying to learn airs on my bmx.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #125 on: May 24, 2020, 06:17:06 AM »
Merci beaucoup pour l'information, mon ami. Vous ιtιs le meilleur professeur. I'll try your tips out. I also re-uploaded my awful no-comply if you're still interested. I know it's too big but I couldn't find a suitable video resizer apparently.

Haha, oh yeah I see it now. Honestly I've seen many different ways people try starting out on that trick but I've never seen this one, it's like a combination of the little typical hop before the trick (except you kind of wheelie into it) and then you hop around and plant your foot twice, none of which should happen so I'm getting the idea that you're overthinking the trick and making it a lot harder than it really is. The idea is to slide your leading foot off the board to release the tension built by the pressure of your back foot on the tail (the nose should instantly spring up, maybe try it stationary to better figure out the timing) and then you just use the momentum of that one jump. Maybe try facing the direction you're going with your shoulders a bit more so that they're open and you're already prepared to land fakie, that way you only really need to extend your back leg after planting your front foot so that it guides the board around as you're (ideally already) in the process of jumping back onto the board. Maybe you could learn those foot down 180 powerslides some people do and then just do the exact same thing just popping the tail.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »
Lately I’ve been having FS flips either completely on lock or days where I can’t land one, and when I don’t land them my nose gets shoved into the ground chipping the shit out of it.

I want to blame it on my wheelbase being a tad long but I know it’s just myself skating shitty.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2020, 07:10:21 PM »
Anyone have any tips for fakie manuals? I want that one in my bag so badly. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAal3TElcvZ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Tre flip help for those in need. Damn I wish I could be out skating.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2020, 08:08:46 AM »
   Rite now Im trying to learn bs roll ins in deeper bowls.  I've done them into 4 footers and shit.  A 6 footer would be good enough for me.  Hard to believe Phelps still did them into vert in his latter years.   Fuck I used to have way better tres then that^ and now I can't do em.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 08:11:59 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2020, 08:56:19 AM »

The other day I was watching an older video of his and was thinking how unnatural and forced his tre flips were. It's looking a lot nicer now. I have the same foot placement issue so i'll fling a few with my foot further back next session.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #131 on: May 31, 2020, 12:25:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The other day I was watching an older video of his and was thinking how unnatural and forced his tre flips were. It's looking a lot nicer now. I have the same foot placement issue so i'll fling a few with my foot further back next session.

The new foot placement still fucks with me, I've been trying them for years with my foot in the pocket and never could do them. A few months back my friend told me to hang my foot more on the tail and scoop in a "J" shape, really focus on smacking the tail into the ground to help the rotation. Vastly different technique versus what we learned in the past - foot in the pocket of the board.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah the sw bs ones are great. Same here, tried jamming a few every time I skated and one day they just worked. Need to get better at popping out though. Let me know if you figure anything out the on the slappy fs crooks.

Landed a few shitty Fs ones the other day. Best I can tell just act like your gonna do a Fs slappy and once your truck hits just lock into crook and hold on.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2020, 01:18:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Landed a few shitty Fs ones the other day. Best I can tell just act like your gonna do a Fs slappy and once your truck hits just lock into crook and hold on.

The best advice I've ever heard with this trick is to just treat it like a nose slide with a little bit of wheel pinched in there. I do a lot of FS slappy nose slides so that really helped it click. Also keeping your foot closer to the pocket of your nose kind of helps.

Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, oh yeah I see it now. Honestly I've seen many different ways people try starting out on that trick but I've never seen this one, it's like a combination of the little typical hop before the trick (except you kind of wheelie into it) and then you hop around and plant your foot twice, none of which should happen so I'm getting the idea that you're overthinking the trick and making it a lot harder than it really is. The idea is to slide your leading foot off the board to release the tension built by the pressure of your back foot on the tail (the nose should instantly spring up, maybe try it stationary to better figure out the timing) and then you just use the momentum of that one jump. Maybe try facing the direction you're going with your shoulders a bit more so that they're open and you're already prepared to land fakie, that way you only really need to extend your back leg after planting your front foot so that it guides the board around as you're (ideally already) in the process of jumping back onto the board. Maybe you could learn those foot down 180 powerslides some people do and then just do the exact same thing just popping the tail.

Just want to agree that having your shoulders open helps a lot. I'm usually already turning before I pop them. I'll also add that I like to have my back foot angled inwards a bit when I pop them.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 01:22:06 PM by FrozenIndustries »

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2020, 07:09:04 PM »
5050 flat bar. I fluked one today just barely kissed the rail and rolled off the end.

i can 5050 ledges all day, up to a lil bit over knee high

when i lock in right i grind for a couple inches panic and flail out or jump off. When i get on wrong i just slip out onto my ass

Funny enough i find doing a bunch of flatground ollies and then standing on the board locked in on the rail helps me get in better

I've never bs boardslid one either. They're scary to me i've never even tried to bs boardslide a ledge lol

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #135 on: June 01, 2020, 02:20:54 AM »
Also was working on fs 5050 on flatbar. Round flatbars have always been challenging for me. I had some PTSD, but recently have been jumping on. Today I was getting on good and grinding just have been too toeside heavy and not able to get out right.

2 other tricks I was working on.: FS 5-0 to swtich crooks. Mustve gave that one 60 tries between 2 sessions. I landed on 6-9, but I think what I landed was a crooked tailslide. Getting into the switch crooks has been very challenging.

The other trick I started trying was a FS 5050 BS 180 out. Really struggling. I was able to land a few, but only when popping off the nose.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 10:08:25 AM by lazer69 »

danmasontree

• Rep: 10
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2020, 03:37:19 PM »

The other trick I started trying was a FS 5050 BS 180 out. Really struggling. I was able to land a few, but only when popping off the nose.

What works for me is when you 50-50 you kinda gotta dip your front shoulder or land with your body weight way over on top of the box(whatever way of thinking works for you) as you land on the 50-50 it makes the 180 way easier. Also, go fast.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2020, 11:06:42 PM »
U usually as soon as I try to bs 180, the bored just ends up pressure flipping. I'll try your tip though,

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2020, 10:08:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Im gonna try Slappy Fs Crooks after reading this, I have them backside but the way you described doing them frontside made so much sense. Super stoked to go try it out.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 695
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2020, 10:13:48 AM »
Quim cardona’s wallride nollie 180 on a bank to wall.
Go up straight like you’re doing a wallride to fakie but nollie fs 180 out of it so you go back down regular
Whatever the fuck
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2020, 09:33:38 PM »
how to play sound on sound by big boys on bass

• Rep: -2
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2020, 02:50:58 PM »
bs tails. i've been trying to learn them for 2 years now and i can't seem to get them because i cant commit on going fast enough and for some reason i want my first bs tail to be regular out even though you're supposed to land them fakie first.

(fake) nollie.

• Rep: -23
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2020, 04:19:45 PM »
Hey guys I've been trying to kickflip for about 5 years now, it's infuriating. All of my friends can flip their boards and what do I have? Ollie, fakie shuvs, and Bertlemanns. I usually meditate for a bit then drink a bit of kombucha but so far it hasn't helped much.

FleeceFlannel

« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2020, 05:19:11 PM »
Spent an hour trying to do a slob plant back to fakie.  Filmed a couple to see how it looked and immediately stopped trying.

ZachV

« Reply #144 on: June 08, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »
Hey guys I've been trying to kickflip for about 5 years now, it's infuriating. All of my friends can flip their boards and what do I have? Ollie, fakie shuvs, and Bertlemanns. I usually meditate for a bit then drink a bit of kombucha but so far it hasn't helped much.

Practice the kickflip in different parts, first get the flick, then do the flick but only put ur front foot on, then do the flick but only put ur back foot on. then full commit to it. Kickflips are very frustrating, I learned them a little under a year of skating but have lost them recently. Once they click though they get pretty consistent. Just be patient and keep at it.

Hopefully I dont get kooked for this but watching Youtube tutorials can help, Braille have some of the best flat ground tutorials (despite them being super cringe.) I would also recommend watching Ben Degros and VL Skate tutorials.

(fake) nollie.

• Rep: -23
« Reply #145 on: June 08, 2020, 07:38:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Practice the kickflip in different parts, first get the flick, then do the flick but only put ur front foot on, then do the flick but only put ur back foot on. then full commit to it. Kickflips are very frustrating, I learned them a little under a year of skating but have lost them recently. Once they click though they get pretty consistent. Just be patient and keep at it.

Hopefully I dont get kooked for this but watching Youtube tutorials can help, Braille have some of the best flat ground tutorials (despite them being super cringe.) I would also recommend watching Ben Degros and VL Skate tutorials.
Thanks dude!

ZachV

« Reply #146 on: June 08, 2020, 08:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks dude!

Your welcome bro, Im always glad to share info from my little pool of knowledge.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #147 on: June 08, 2020, 09:24:01 PM »
I’m having trouble with tre flips. When I land one my front foot is on my nose and my back foot is either in the middle of the board or barely behind the front bolts which puts all my weight forward so I don’t ride away.

Is it because I fling them more sideways instead of in front of me or my foot position which is more forward facing instead of 45 degrees?

I've never had them (I have impossibles, I put my focus there back in the day because I couldn't for the life of me figure out tres, even to this day).

I've landed 3.

My issue is I can land my back foot, just not my front. I can't determine if I'm the type to:

Do them under me?
Do them away from me where I have to jump 'over to them' <--I feel like I am this type
Back foot in the pocket?
Back foot in ollie position?

And the worst part, all of the above have me putting my front fooot all over the fucking place.

I've actually sized down, lowered my setup to aid in getting them. Whatever helps!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #148 on: June 08, 2020, 10:04:55 PM »
I've never had them (I have impossibles, I put my focus there back in the day because I couldn't for the life of me figure out tres, even to this day).

You know how when you scoop an impossible you kind of use the toes on your back foot to dig inside the pocket of the tail and get the wrap (even on really vertical ones, it just happens subtly)? Try doing the same thing but instead of instantly taking your front foot off and bringing your knee up, have its toes retain contact with the griptape side. You'll notice the board will tend to stick to them and from then on it's super easy to get a good flip by just kicking out at the right time (that's actually how one does 360 double flips). Different technique from the classic, popped 360 flip (that I personally prefer) but if you're familiar with impossibles already, maybe that one will be easier for you to stay over. If it still doesn't work then try insisting on the toe pressure action even more or moving said toe closer to the edge of the concave (if not hanging off).

Or if you want to insist with your current technique then the basic principle when it comes to catching the board is that the whole trick should be happening under you, not behind you nor in front of you, which you can adjust by having your upper body more or less straight and also the direction of the scoop. For the popped technique I think about scooping to the side with my big toe but also about hitting that tail to use the rebound and send the trick more vertically if that makes sense. Either way your front toe is essentially the axis of the rotation of the board which is why it's easy to catch those with the front foot, say, on hips where the trick starts working like a modified ollie really. I hope you get them, they're worth it!

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2020, 08:16:46 AM »
fs flips - cant turn fs 180 and kick flip at the same time.  bs flips and bs heelflips always felt intuitive.  im playing with the foot placement, having the flick foot well on the board and the pop foot on the tip of the tail.  i can fake fs flip, even though those are more muska ish

bs tails - not going fast enough

powerslides - my foot lifts up whenever i try and speed check

ha.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 08:19:42 AM by pdknox »