Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47927 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
How to completely switch to cupsoles. It is messing with my pop (what little of it I have) on switch tricks so bad for whatever reason.

animalflesh

« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »
Usually that’s because you’re not popping as hard switch as you are regular, and you’re relying on the drag rather than the pop to complete the trick

I suck at switch but I lost my nollies when I first skated a pair of dunks and that ended up being the culprit

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2020, 02:02:47 PM »
How to completely switch to cupsoles. It is messing with my pop (what little of it I have) on switch tricks so bad for whatever reason.

just deal with it until you get used to it and then itll be fine. Though I noticed for me at least, I prefer mellow concave boards with really thin, flexible and grippy shoes whereas I definitely prefer a steeper concave if my shoe is really stiff and I can't feel shit.... so if you can't feel your board maybe you could feel it a bit better if the concave was deeper.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

just deal with it until you get used to it and then itll be fine. Though I noticed for me at least, I prefer mellow concave boards with really thin, flexible and grippy shoes whereas I definitely prefer a steeper concave if my shoe is really stiff and I can't feel shit.... so if you can't feel your board maybe you could feel it a bit better if the concave was deeper.

I actually had this same thought when I was skating today, like, "maybe I should skate something steeper". I love flat boards but have also been a vulc person since like 2005.

Anyway, I spent some time after work just doing switch ollies and realized that putting my foot further towards the nose (but still keeping my other foot in the usual spot) it kind of made them pop a little better. But I still think I want to try something with a steeper concave.

@Thom it was weird, not even ghost pop like that but almost like some weird timing thing.

Edit: it won't let me tag the right Thom
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 04:45:49 PM by FrozenIndustries »

Baswell Cerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2020, 04:24:28 PM »
Fucking trying to air on a quarter. Like I've watched dudes do it a thousand times asked think i can, but when I'm on the wall I can't even fathom how to get up!
[Applause]

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I actually had this same thought when I was skating today, like, "maybe I should skate something steeper". I love flat boards but have also been a vulc person since like 2005.

Anyway, I spent some time after work just doing switch ollies and realized that putting my foot further towards the nose (but still keeping my other foot in the usual spot) it kind of made them pop a little better. But I still think I want to try something with a steeper concave.

@Thom it was weird, not even ghost pop like that but almost like some weird timing thing.

Yea I feel that, my rationale for it is that with thick shoes + steep concave or thin shoes + mellow concave, the amount of concave you effectively feel under your feet is about the same.

Could be worth a try, but I'm not sure its going to be a game changer. I've never gone out of my way to buy boards with deeper dishes because my shoes are stiff its just something I casually notice sometimes.

If you find cupsoles less grippy, and don't already skate mob, maybe switching to mob could help? idk

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2020, 05:57:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yea I feel that, my rationale for it is that with thick shoes + steep concave or thin shoes + mellow concave, the amount of concave you effectively feel under your feet is about the same.

Could be worth a try, but I'm not sure its going to be a game changer. I've never gone out of my way to buy boards with deeper dishes because my shoes are stiff its just something I casually notice sometimes.

If you find cupsoles less grippy, and don't already skate mob, maybe switching to mob could help? idk

It makes sense. And game changer or not, I generally seek out the flattest boards possible so getting something steeper to try is going to be less work. I've considered mob but honestly part of the reason I'm on cupsoles is because I'll wear through a vulc sole in 2-3 weeks max. I feel like the grip thing is something I could get used to.

But yeah, going to see if something steeper works.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #187 on: July 09, 2020, 02:49:48 PM »
Just to echo a similar sentiment:

I have some Liberty Cups which are just now getting nice and broken in (6 months later lol) and I had some really great sessions on my steep kick/Ace set-up but i was getting so frustrated on my flat/Venture set-up. In the middle of my flatground session the other day I switched over to a thinner shoe (Legacy Slim) and everything was clicking again.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2020, 05:25:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I've developed a bad habit of tensing my toes and pointing them down on flip tricks after flicking and as I land. Makes the possibility of an ankle roll much higher. Trying to get out of it. Last session I didn't even bother flipping my board. Anyone else developed this habit?
[close]

I didn't realize I started doing this until I just read your reply now. I haven't rolled my ankle but have had some pain because of it. Maybe just reminding yourself to stay loose after your flick/pop would help

This would explain why my ankles feel all loose and weird. I assumed they were sore.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #189 on: July 09, 2020, 08:27:23 PM »
Trying to do all my tricks from Ollie stance

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #190 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:58 PM »
Half cab crooks.

A few days ago landed 2 out of 70- 85 attempts  >:( >:( >:

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2020, 06:19:34 AM »
back three's

Board tends to fly out, i think Im leaning in too much.

Came kinda close to one last night, but havent landed one yet.

Wish me luck.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #192 on: July 12, 2020, 11:59:51 AM »
Just to echo a similar sentiment:

I have some Liberty Cups which are just now getting nice and broken in (6 months later lol) and I had some really great sessions on my steep kick/Ace set-up but i was getting so frustrated on my flat/Venture set-up. In the middle of my flatground session the other day I switched over to a thinner shoe (Legacy Slim) and everything was clicking again.

Word, I just got a normal-ish concave board that I'm going to set up and try once this board (DOA flat) is done. I will say I got a lot mores used to it today after having a few days off the board on a camping trip.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #193 on: July 12, 2020, 09:33:43 PM »
Tried flip back smith today for a bit. Fuhhhhhh usually ended up getting into 5-0, suski, tail, or lip.... pretty much anything but smith. The ledge I tried on I can back smith every try and the ones I did lock into proper after flipping into stuck and came down way too hard. Definitely getting there, but lots of trial and error and patience, not really a flip in guy.

ShredneyMullen

« Reply #194 on: July 12, 2020, 10:56:51 PM »
Expand Quote
A few months ago they repaved my neighborhood and it’s a super smooth ride now. I’ve just been trying to cruise around switch and get a good switch push going. If I get my front foot position just right then I can fly around, but if it’s off a tiny bit then it’s a total disaster. Doing a revert and getting a strong switch push in right after is an amazing feeling. I can do some tail scraps, hopefully a strong ollie by the end of summer.

What about you?
[close]

All of my go to tricks (tre flip laser flip bigspin late kick hardflips 360 inward heels inpossibles primo slides/casper slides/ one foot manny and ledge tricks etc) and every trick I cannot yet do as a go to trick suchas switch fs 360 nollie tre ba 360 kickflip and 360 hardflip.
Basically a bunch of kook ass shit

My back has been fucked up for three years now which makes
my legs and ankles all fucked up also and that pain in unbearable without drugs but I am finally getting all of my old tricks back super clean again and working on tricks I never got to have down first try, I am very critical on making sure I can do everything first try no matter what it is. Unfortunately I can no longer jump anything bigger than a one block and I can do no more than basic tricks for everything that isnt flatground right now such as rails tranny manuals hips etc. But at least I can do what I can clean again.

shaloma bin laden

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #195 on: July 13, 2020, 04:42:40 AM »
Back Tail Shuv out. I'm finally getting long stable bs tails so I think its time to add on.

Juanjo789

« Reply #196 on: July 13, 2020, 05:10:50 AM »
FS tails on ledges and Fs 5050 on rails, for some reason sometimes I dont lock the back truck on the rail or if I do I jump off I can 5050 on ledges so I gets frustrating

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #197 on: July 13, 2020, 05:27:54 AM »
FS tails on ledges and Fs 5050 on rails, for some reason sometimes I dont lock the back truck on the rail or if I do I jump off I can 5050 on ledges so I gets frustrating

Over rotate a little so it feels like the heel side wheel is hitting first. Less likely to stick on rails
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Land of the Faust

« Reply #198 on: July 13, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
Trying to get a lazerflip.

I can varial heel pretty well, but I can't make the full 360.

KushBush

• Rep: 2
« Reply #199 on: July 13, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »
Back Tail Shuv out. I'm finally getting long stable bs tails so I think its time to add on.

How I think of it is I get in a back tail fakie position while sliding and kinda body varial last second, which helps make the shuv easier. Many times if I’m in a back tail to regs position the board doesn’t shuv at all. When doing the shuv give it the tiniest little scoop with back foot too. Also, when I learned it I found it easier to not slide long and do a very quick back tail shuv and as time went on I’ve started to slide them longer.

Also, anyone have tips for kickflip back tails I’m either slipping out, sticking, or the board doesn’t follow my feet during the kickflip.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: July 13, 2020, 09:46:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How I think of it is I get in a back tail fakie position while sliding and kinda body varial last second, which helps make the shuv easier. Many times if I’m in a back tail to regs position the board doesn’t shuv at all. When doing the shuv give it the tiniest little scoop with back foot too. Also, when I learned it I found it easier to not slide long and do a very quick back tail shuv and as time went on I’ve started to slide them longer.

Also, anyone have tips for kickflip back tails I’m either slipping out, sticking, or the board doesn’t follow my feet during the kickflip.

For flip back tail, I have my front foot barely on the board, and I flick really aggressively to make it flip as fast as possible, and flick in the direction that you're rotating towards so that the flick kinda rotates the board right into position (So lets say you're regular, rolling North and the ledge is behind you, you kinda wanna pop and flick 'east' almost if that makes sense)

KushBush

• Rep: 2
« Reply #201 on: July 13, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For flip back tail, I have my front foot barely on the board, and I flick really aggressively to make it flip as fast as possible, and flick in the direction that you're rotating towards so that the flick kinda rotates the board right into position (So lets say you're regular, rolling North and the ledge is behind you, you kinda wanna pop and flick 'east' almost if that makes sense)

Thanks man! And that does make sense because I always tried to think of it as a kickflip then turn into the bstail yet, the board usually never followed me. So I’ll give that a shot.

ShredneyMullen

« Reply #202 on: July 13, 2020, 02:36:34 PM »
Trying to get a lazerflip.

I can varial heel pretty well, but I can't make the full 360.

get the back foot all in the fs pocket and ball of foot in the center of the tail its basically like a fs 360 pressure flip and then your heel you want your toes at a slight angle pointig towards you but not much just a little and have that heel foot a lil above the center of the deck and lean back just before you go to blast it out, dont lean forward before you pop it or youre not gonna do it or only labs shitty ones. lean back if you want a fat clean one. (this trick feels a lot like a big pressure flip, the heel you want to move behind you when you go to flip it, imagine trying to do a switch tre flip while standing i your regular stance, thats basically what it is) hope this helps if you need more tips for this or any trick let me know I can do any trick.

toyo980

• Rep: -2
« Reply #203 on: July 13, 2020, 11:08:28 PM »
Ollie Fs Wallride, I can bs wallride and Im prettt confident going fs in bowls but my mind cant process how to go from an ollie to my board being sideways on the wall

walker

• Rep: -9
« Reply #204 on: July 14, 2020, 11:45:01 AM »
varial flips. i think im trying too hard to make it flip the way i want . it popshuvs perfectly around but only flips halfway, so i gotta flick better or something like that lol

toyo980

« Reply #205 on: July 14, 2020, 12:09:24 PM »
also how to do tricks fast. What are good ways to approach doing tricks while going really fast I tend to put a lot of pressure on my back foot while doing ollies so I tend to wobble due to my weight being on the back.

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #206 on: July 18, 2020, 03:46:22 AM »
trying to learn how to make half a layback air to texas plant look cool

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2020, 06:30:17 AM »
I’m okay at back smiths on transition (I don’t do the heel sandbag thing, I can actually grind them) but if I try and hold it for any significant distance my front wheels just turn onto the ramp and they look kinda ugly. Any advice would be appreciated.

fraction

« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2020, 08:19:20 AM »
Trying to learn big impossibles (Impossible BS180) like a bigspin.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #209 on: July 19, 2020, 06:50:49 AM »
Switch frontside 360
Backside/frontside heel