Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48509 times)

FUBAR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 235
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #210 on: July 19, 2020, 12:59:11 PM »
Another old man trying to relearn some shit that used to be easy for me:
Fakie flips, half cab flips and if I get on a role, switch flips. If I don’t break my hip first. This shit is hard.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2020, 06:07:37 PM »
I’ve accidentally overshot frontside noseslides and got into back 180 nosegrind enough times that I just need to go ahead and learn back 180 nosegrind.

Is it weird that doing it on a high ledge sounds like it would work better than learning on a low ledge or curb? Include be wrong. My accidental one today when I was going for front nose was like knee height ledge. Grinded across it and if I had been planning for it feel like I coulda pulled it out to fakie and landed it. My legs were toast at that point though so I’m gonna try to learn them tomorrow.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2020, 03:15:34 AM »
Nollie flip out of nosewheelie - I had just never tried it before till yesterday. I usually spend my time doing variations of stuff I can already do or relearning old tricks, so starting fresh with a new maneuver actually felt really cool. Was just landing on my first few and starting to figure it out when a family took over the park and brought in a dozen of loud brats on scooters and bikes running amok who quickly made it impossible to be patient, but I'm psyched to actually learn it soon. Experimenting with different types of weight distribution for the nollie flip out especially felt funny because I love nollie flips yet this felt like a new dimension to them.

What I wish I understood is how people do nollie 360 flip out of nosewheelie though. I can nollie 360 shove out of nosewheelie and nollie 360 flip on flat and down small stuff just fine but the pairing of both tricks the way I do them still seems rather foreign.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2020, 05:06:08 AM »
I’ve accidentally overshot frontside noseslides and got into back 180 nosegrind enough times that I just need to go ahead and learn back 180 nosegrind.

Is it weird that doing it on a high ledge sounds like it would work better than learning on a low ledge or curb? Include be wrong. My accidental one today when I was going for front nose was like knee height ledge. Grinded across it and if I had been planning for it feel like I coulda pulled it out to fakie and landed it. My legs were toast at that point though so I’m gonna try to learn them tomorrow.

180 nosegrinds are definitely easier on something thats got some height to it, super hard to space and aim it on something tiny.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2020, 05:13:36 AM »
Backside 180 nosegrinds clicked for me as soon as I started thinking of them as alley-oop nosepicks on the ledge if that makes any sense. With the momentum you'll start grinding as soon as you lock in anyway and then the dismount is rather automatic.

By clicked for me, I mean for a few weeks tops, I haven't even just tried that trick in a bit but I had become acceptable at it for the short time I managed to keep it.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2020, 04:14:29 PM »
For once things actually went like I thought they would. Landed my first back 180 nosegrind ever the day after that post. Was a pretty short little bonk though. This week I try to get a proper one.

consumer

• Rep: 9
  • they/them
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2020, 09:28:17 PM »
i started skating again after a five or so year hiatus through college and the tricks im learning are ankle stretches, 25 minutes sessions, fat and old tre flip, and alcohol intake management with a side of transgender stuff like finding stuff in my size that is good to skate in. vans womens has been killing it lately with skate oriented stuff in bigger sizes and its sick.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2020, 10:47:42 PM »
i started skating again after a five or so year hiatus through college and the tricks im learning are ankle stretches, 25 minutes sessions, fat and old tre flip, and alcohol intake management with a side of transgender stuff like finding stuff in my size that is good to skate in. vans womens has been killing it lately with skate oriented stuff in bigger sizes and its sick.

Check out Dr Kyle Brown on IG, his stretching, strength and conditioning and rehab exercises really helped me get back on the board last year after not skating for around 5 years. My ankles had horrible flexibility and I could only do mobbed kickflips. The ankle workouts with the resistance bands helped me get them semi-decent and are also good for rehab during the inevitable ankle tweak (flat feet).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #218 on: August 06, 2020, 06:01:53 AM »
Backside blunt on a ledge. Anyone have advice on this one? So far I have "landed" two of them where I locked in and got out of the ledge but i'm not sliding, even if I wax up the ledge pretty good. I am assuming I might be leaning to far forward which would make me stick instead of slide

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #219 on: August 06, 2020, 09:44:56 AM »
Switch BS 360 pop shuvs...I'm so close i can almost taste it, just need to commit the front foot.

Also working on fakie bs flips, and switch and regular bigspins both ways... can crank them out nollie and fakie no bother, but switch and regs deffo seem way harder for me for whatever reason.

wrTcHDfKN4nTZ

• Rep: 3
  • Glue
« Reply #220 on: August 07, 2020, 01:31:47 AM »
Right now I'm trying to learn a bunch of frontside tricks I've never really understood but just sorta figured out how they work recently, front heel flips, front big spins and big heels, varial heels, and back heels which I've been working on for ages, a lot of my issues for all these right now is just committing. it's so annoying at this point, majority of my attempts arent lands just because I'm bitching it with one foot or the other.

Switch BS 360 pop shuvs...I'm so close i can almost taste it, just need to commit the front foot.

Also working on fakie bs flips, and switch and regular bigspins both ways... can crank them out nollie and fakie no bother, but switch and regs deffo seem way harder for me for whatever reason.

The advice that helped me for back big spins was to have your back foot to kind of be in a similar position to a tre flip but not hanging off as much, just slightly and also flat when you pop, the main thing though is keeping your front foot out of the way, or lifting it up, when you pop and rotate like you would for an impossible
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:28:37 AM by wrTcHDfKN4nTZ »
Dude just pop...

vhsfisheye

« Reply #221 on: August 11, 2020, 09:20:28 PM »
bs 360 shuvs, frontside heelflips & manual reverts

peptobismol

« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2020, 12:25:06 AM »
im learning how to forgive myself.

Benchpress

• Rep: 9
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2020, 02:27:34 AM »
im learning how to forgive myself.

This hits hard. I sometimes forget why I started skating, I end up pulling my hair out over not getting some obscure trick. Sometimes it's nice to remember I'm just a human, I'm not going to improve leaps and bounds daily. Just push around and chill.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2020, 06:07:03 PM »
How to be nicer when i go to skate parks, i skate street 99% of the time so i'm not use to them.. I just like to be alone and do my thing but every park i go to i end up annoyed and act like a dick.

a couple days ago i was recovering from a heel bruise which is why i went to the park so i was just doing switch tricks on a low ledge that i suck at the entire sesh, a pretty good ripper showed up ( i respect him and honestly wish it was just us at the park as we both have a mutual respect to leave each other alone except for when one of us lights a joint) and was killing the euro to ledge with fs smith, nosegrind first try. I was stoked for him but there was another skater that was losing his mind over the guys ledge tricks and even looking at me EVERY SINGLE time the dude landed a trick trying to have a "holy fuck " moment together with me. Eventually i couldn't stand it so i went and back smithed the ledge first try and just stared at him as i rode away straight to my backpack and out of the park.

Also its not even that he may have assumed the other skater was better then me and i took offence, that's not it at all, if a skater is better or even almost as good as me i have a HUGE level of respect for them,

it's the fact that smith and nose grinds are basic tricks, Why are you so impressed? it's embarrassing and i've literally seen the ripper do fs smith kickflips out on it as well so maybe if this super impressed skater amazed by nose grinds actually spent more time out skating he would would know it was nothing for the guy, let alone impressive enough to look at me and try to share a " holy fuck " moment 7 times.

tldr? I hate " skaters" people who claim to love skating but are trash at it and think every trick is impressive because they never worked hard enough themselves at the thing they " love " to realize how easy or hard a trick is.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:25:10 PM by SlapRhaters »

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2020, 07:47:48 PM »
Fs 360 shuv. Please help

peptobismol

« Reply #226 on: August 12, 2020, 07:50:41 PM »
Fs 360 shuv. Please help
watch some devine calloway

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #227 on: August 12, 2020, 07:50:46 PM »
Trying to learn big impossibles (Impossible BS180) like a bigspin.

I feel big flips are a must have for practice. Idk. That was way easier for me than Tre at one time. Impossible has always been easy. Adding a backside 180 is kind of difficult obviously. The board wants to leave your feet if you start to move your legs too soon.

I open my shoulders just to get a little wind up i scoop and By the time the board hits my front foot my upper body is in full back 80 motion.

Then you got the option of dropping slow with like a casual 45° twist on the front bolts. Back foot I Think like Michael Jackson dropping his hat into his gloved hand doing that freeze. Twist your toe like a boxer pointing you heel south.
Like a switch hesh rock and roll style. 

Best option is pull it up and pull it around with your bear traps you legend swinging your arms King Tut while it's sucked up. Point your hand down where you want to board to land then stomp that shit with authority all pow when people are watching you at the skatepark.

This is a good into things trick. Hills wedges bumps. Off the a frame. A fatty too flatty is potential board breaker for me.

Actually the main problem with this trick is it leaving your foot in the first parts and looking like a bad 540 shuv thing half front body varial. Mai rattling around in between your knees or cracking off on your Achilles tendon.

Either way it looks like you never skated before.

I'm ultra stoned if this this insanity

Oh rolling your ankle is real easy with pivoting off bolts if you don't break nose off board

To listen to hills that are really slick and old.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 976
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #228 on: August 12, 2020, 08:03:19 PM »
Fs 360 shuv. Please help

I think they're easier switch but I put my Poppin foot in the pocket like duck footed (little toes off opposite of Tre) with my heel dug into the rail next to Bolts above the wheel I pop and I scoop but forward more

The dug in heel is a guide the board out in front of you.and gets part of your foot inside the WB.

Front foot is flat. I line my heel up with the edge of the board should be pretty close to square with the heel. Toes off is better than heels off whatever puts you close to center but you can keep your whole foot flat on the tape because it's going to move towards your toes for the stomp.

See the bolts it should be Right underneath you not to the side not behind you should be right underneath you it's a really fast trick when you have the heel dug in.

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -198
« Reply #229 on: August 12, 2020, 09:53:13 PM »
Lip slide on mini

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #230 on: August 16, 2020, 08:44:38 PM »
Fs nollie to sw manny. Just on a curb high pad. I wecked a few, I haven’t done one yet
listen to cosmic psychos

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2020, 09:16:19 PM »
Front Crooks, Back 5-0 and Fakie Nosegrind on a much taller ledge than I'm used to.

The Front Crook will take some work, only learned them earlier this year but I can't get the angle and height to lock the truck in crooked. Feels different from a Back Crook where you can 1/2 ass your ollie into the grind.

For Back 5-0 its a confidence thing; not 100% on my Back 50 on the ledge yet.

Ate shit on a Fakie Nosegrind yesterday, too much weight on the back truck and I slipped out.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #232 on: August 17, 2020, 06:59:18 AM »
Bs smiths have just been killing me, I don't even feel close.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »
im trying to flip into fs 5050

How do you make the kickflip turn frontside? Ive been trying to visualize like ollie over the ledge, then flicking away from the ledge but it works pretty shittily

I haven't really changed my foot position from a regular flatground kf other than moving my back foot heelside like a fs shuv-ish

Today I did flip into like a shitty ledge feeble ish thing and rolled away. I'm happy to have flipped into some grind kind of but afterwards it only made me more frustrated that I didn't just turn the board like 10 more degrees and actually do the trick

Adriii

• Rep: 1
« Reply #234 on: August 19, 2020, 07:52:09 PM »
-Frontside crooked 270 out.
- slappys 5050s. dont understand slappys
- proper sw heels.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #235 on: August 20, 2020, 01:37:38 AM »
im trying to flip into fs 5050

How do you make the kickflip turn frontside? Ive been trying to visualize like ollie over the ledge, then flicking away from the ledge but it works pretty shittily

I haven't really changed my foot position from a regular flatground kf other than moving my back foot heelside like a fs shuv-ish

I don't really do that trick anymore but those used to be easier than kickflip backside 50-50 for me, I remember I'd just think of it as a normal 50-50 but add the kickflip flick at the peak of the ollie. You're not supposed to have it turn frontside nor flick away from the ledge, just align yourself with the ledge like you would ollieing into the 50-50 but with a bit more pop so that the board has no chance of hitting the obstacle while flipping and don't think about how it's going to leave your foot, just extend the motion and flick through the nose like you would for a good kickflip. Visualize it as if you wanted to kickflip up the obstacle like it's a big curb except you go at such an angle that both your trucks catch the edge when you land on top if that makes sense. Trying to turn frontside will most likely fuck up your alignment in relation to the obstacle.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2020, 09:47:12 AM »
Front Crooks, Back 5-0 and Fakie Nosegrind on a much taller ledge than I'm used to.

The Front Crook will take some work, only learned them earlier this year but I can't get the angle and height to lock the truck in crooked. Feels different from a Back Crook where you can 1/2 ass your ollie into the grind.

For Back 5-0 its a confidence thing; not 100% on my Back 50 on the ledge yet.

Ate shit on a Fakie Nosegrind yesterday, too much weight on the back truck and I slipped out.

Yo @silhouette you got any tips for:
FS / BS Fakie Nosegrinds
Noseslide 270 out (for regular and 1/2 cab in)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2020, 10:03:41 AM »
I only really do fakie nosegrinds frontside, I'm not big into fakie backside ledge tricks. There's no real secret to that one honestly if you can fakie 50-50, you just do the same thing but land off instead of centered, pushing down on the nose. It's a pretty self-explanatory trick, there's very little technique. Nollie 5-0's work the same. It's easier than fakie nosemanny too when it comes to balancing it because of how you lock in. Just gotta figure out how not to slip out.

Noseslide 270 out I can only do with the 270 going with the original rotation, not against (so the easiest variation). If that's the one you have in mind then those are all in the wind-up (personally I trick my brain into thinking I'm about to go for a 360 step hop because I'm used to that trick), slappy is easier because you can just jam the nose onto the ledge and instantly use the momentum to launch a pop out. In a way I just think of them as frontside 360 nollies on flat except there's a noseslide somewhere in there that you pop off. If you want to do them fully in the air then having a decent switch backside 180 probably helps because when you're doing it right, it feels like you're kind of popping a switch backside 180'ing down the ledge, just off an unpractical position. I always disliked trying and even just seeing the noseslide 270's going the other way. I can do those weird straight-on slappy nose (approaching perpendicular, so no slide) then quick nollie b/s 180 out on obstacles but can't seem to replicate the motion out of an actual noseslide - I can see how it's supposed to work but the feel is off to me. I've been playing around with attempts at noseslide to back lips and even just getting that little rotation is tough.

Also for tricks out of halfcab noseslides in general, I just pretend I'm doing the trick out of a regular noseslide. Ideally it's the exact same shit once you're locked in so there's no reason why anything should change, it's just the roll-up that's different.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 10:16:20 AM by silhouette »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2020, 10:19:29 AM »
I only really do fakie nosegrinds frontside, I'm not big into fakie backside ledge tricks. There's no real secret to that one honestly if you can fakie 50-50, you just do the same thing but land off instead of centered, pushing down on the nose. It's a pretty self-explanatory trick, there's very little technique. Nollie 5-0's work the same. It's easier than fakie nosemanny too when it comes to balancing it because of how you lock in. Just gotta figure out how not to slip out.

Noseslide 270 out I can only do with the 270 going with the original rotation, not against (so the easiest variation). If that's the one you have in mind then those are all in the wind-up (personally I trick my brain into thinking I'm about to go for a 360 step hop because I'm used to that trick), slappy is easier because you can just jam the nose onto the ledge and instantly use the momentum to launch a pop out. In a way I just think of them as frontside 360 nollies on flat except there's a noseslide somewhere in there that you pop off. If you want to do them fully in the air then having a decent switch backside 180 probably helps because when you're doing it right, it feels like you're kind of popping a switch backside 180'ing down the ledge, just off an unpractical position. I always disliked trying and even just seeing the noseslide 270's going the other way. I can do those weird straight-on slappy nose (approaching perpendicular, so no slide) then quick nollie b/s 180 out on obstacles but can't seem to replicate the motion out of an actual noseslide - I can see how it's supposed to work but the feel is off to me. I've been playing around with attempts at noseslide to back lips and even just getting that little rotation is tough.

Also for tricks out of halfcab noseslides in general, I just pretend I'm doing the trick out of a regular noseslide. Ideally it's the exact same shit once you're locked in so there's no reason why anything should change, it's just the roll-up that's different.

Thanks man, always appreciate the insightful responses. Thinking of it as doing a Nollie 270 out is helpful, though my Nollie 180s are terrible as it is.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2020, 10:27:56 AM »
Yeah honestly I'd recommend just working on popping out of noseslides in general because it's a whole lot of fun. I first started learning those because of the classic Rob Welsh clips of course but also because of Lui Araki and Dom Henry who have insane ones (Dom can even do noseslide melons as a joke) and once you start doing them like that you can't go back. That's also easier to do from slappy because of how the momentum works. Then once you've figured out the timing (even if it's on small pop outs) I reckon it should be easy to spin an extra 270 (or 180 then 90 degrees of revert if you're short on air time) whichever your preferred way is. What I was saying about halfcab noseslides ideally working just like noseslides also applies here so once you know how to do it you can also replicate the motion out of those and then I guess go with the flow if you feel like adding rotations.

I think for a bit I had better frontside 360 nollies than I had frontside 180 nollies, the key for those is to nest your feet real deep in the concave and then you just use the big toe on your front foot to pop into the rotation. I feel like nollie 180's work just a little bit differently because you can't use as much momentum on the jump so you really have to focus on getting a good nollie motion instead, 360's you can just throw around. Actually I just remembered the first flatground 360 nollie I ever got on film in a line (back in like 2003) was essentially a 360 shove-it with a 360 body varial and no feet touching, haha.