Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47634 times)

Dirty_Dan90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #300 on: September 16, 2020, 06:58:44 AM »
Recently learned fakie front crooks and it took awhile to get the pinch right but now i can pop out of the metal ledge at my local park. Started to get the flick out but keep landing on the bottom of the deck or missing the flick completely. So hyped on this one even just trying it but its also frustrating thinking about a trick all day at work then spending most of the sesh after work just trying to inch closer to the trick but still no dice. just happy to finally be flipping out of shit, probably one of the most satisfying this to me.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1878
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #301 on: September 16, 2020, 09:11:40 AM »
Fakie BS Nosegrind, the Kalis staple. Backside Tailslides again but the ledge at my local park is low, just below above ankle height.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #302 on: September 16, 2020, 01:13:37 PM »
Fakie BS Nosegrind, the Kalis staple. Backside Tailslides again but the ledge at my local park is low, just below above ankle height.

Same thing as I said for the frontside halfcab noseslide, just ollie higher and turn less

Hombreezy

« Reply #303 on: September 16, 2020, 05:16:45 PM »
Always sucked at regular backside bigspins. It’s like the only basic regular trick I don’t have on lock at this point. Anyway I skated with my childhood best friend who also got me in to skating and we learned it together today. Super inconsistent and I land awkwardly a lot but I can do it perfect if I land with my shoulders right and jump out a bit. 
Trying to get my shoulders to catch up with the scoop on backside 360
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 07:41:38 PM by Hombreezy »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #304 on: September 16, 2020, 07:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same thing as I said for the frontside halfcab noseslide, just ollie higher and turn less

Yeah was locking in a few by accident while doing 1/2 Cab Frontside Noseslides, same principles.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #305 on: September 16, 2020, 07:52:34 PM »
Not sure if it’s this thread but @Gay Imp Sausage Metal  gave a tip on half cab to tail slide. I tried it on the curb I’ve been skating and it made sense. Thank you.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2020, 06:41:50 AM »
Not sure if it’s this thread but @Gay Imp Sausage Metal  gave a tip on half cab to tail slide. I tried it on the curb I’ve been skating and it made sense. Thank you.
I did? Fakie front nose? Such a fun trick on low ledges

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 578
« Reply #307 on: September 18, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I did? Fakie front nose? Such a fun trick on low ledges
Yeah it was some weird don’t think about this truck as nollie or something like that. It was confusing a bit.
Went and tried it but realized I could just powerslide and kiss the curb.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

tony mugu

• Rep: -1
« Reply #308 on: September 18, 2020, 04:28:21 PM »
hi struggling with nose slides at the moment.

I can lock in and slide a little bit but I always come to a dead stop and I never seem to get the smooth slide most people get. I’ve worked out it’s not a wax issue. I’m wondering if it’s my foot placement as I don’t always land with my whole foot on the nose. I can slappy noseslides a good distance however.

I have the same issue with crooked but I only have learnt those recently so it’s more of a practice thing I think regarding crookeds.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #309 on: September 18, 2020, 10:36:27 PM »
hi struggling with nose slides at the moment.

I can lock in and slide a little bit but I always come to a dead stop and I never seem to get the smooth slide most people get. I’ve worked out it’s not a wax issue. I’m wondering if it’s my foot placement as I don’t always land with my whole foot on the nose. I can slappy noseslides a good distance however.

I have the same issue with crooked but I only have learnt those recently so it’s more of a practice thing I think regarding crookeds.

How high is the ledge your sliding on? I hate low ledges for noseslides because I never learned to slappy and always over-pop going into the slide.

It sounds like you are stomping your nose into the ledge rather than riding on top of the ledge. Ideally you want to pop just high enough so your forward momentum is maintained. Popping high will get you on the ledge, it will kill the forward momentum of the board, causing a short slide. Think of it as popping your board so it will hover on top of the ledge, and you turn off at the end in 1 motion to continue your direction of movement.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Vintagebody

• Rep: 72
« Reply #310 on: September 19, 2020, 01:35:25 AM »
Whats the secret to not making the board flip during 360 shuvs/big spins?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 512
« Reply #311 on: September 19, 2020, 01:57:31 AM »

Don't hang your back toe over the edge of the tail too much, make sure to get as 'flat' of a pop as you can, try to keep your trucks level or slightly heelside leaning. These things help me.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #312 on: September 19, 2020, 05:52:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't hang your back toe over the edge of the tail too much, make sure to get as 'flat' of a pop as you can, try to keep your trucks level or slightly heelside leaning. These things help me.
It helps me when I have my toes pointed forward on my back foot. Even more do then when I do a kuckflip.

I am trying to Properly learn crooked grinds Switch an regular. And to get more consistent on frontside noseslides and switch frontside noseslides. It is my goal to learn proper a proper Fakie Ollie Switch Front nose. I either get stuck and fall out or I slide and slip out, hence I went back to learn proper switch frontside nose slides.

When I was young I would just force Tricks by trying them till I got them and then move one. I want to be able to feel and control my tricks better now. I figure an Andy Anderson approach to skating is better for longevity than the all will no skill kind of approach. I do miss Just going for broke sometimes, but whenever I do I get hurt more often than not...

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #313 on: September 19, 2020, 06:26:12 AM »
if anyone’s got advice on

fakie crooks or fakie tails - can work it out on curbs but I lose the board when I have to pop higher onto ledges. End up standing in stance on the ledge with no board. Also even on curbs for fakie tailslide I struggle to find the balance between slipping out on to my face and leaning too far back so it sticks.

fakie manuals- any trick to these? My reg manual and nose mannys are fine but my balance on fakie is trash and getting pitched is scary.

Brguy

« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2020, 11:37:35 PM »
As soon as I start skating again (probably not too long, foot feeling fine) I want to start getting long 50-50s with decent speed at a small round rail so I can do it at a bigger one in the streets.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #315 on: September 24, 2020, 11:00:55 AM »
Noseslide to krooked - no slappy tho.

Watched the Mike York trick tip - it really helped!!

Almost got one last night, but I couldnt seem to pop out of the krook, and i couldnt seem to fakie it either.

Next sesh. Funny tho, tried that trick earlier this year, but wasnt approaching it the right way.

Fun as hell tho. Last time I did one of those was like 94 - 26 years ago!!

Good times!

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #316 on: September 26, 2020, 05:07:57 AM »
Trying to learn to kickflip, that old chestnut. It keeps landing 45 degrees in front of me backside.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #317 on: September 26, 2020, 11:26:08 AM »
front shove back 50. Did a couple stationary on a small ledge the other day. Rolling into it feels like it is a whole dif game though.

Featherdale wildlife park

« Reply #318 on: October 06, 2020, 05:36:12 AM »
Life

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -101
« Reply #319 on: October 10, 2020, 09:32:07 AM »
Bodyjar 900

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #320 on: October 10, 2020, 04:59:32 PM »
if anyone’s got advice on

fakie crooks or fakie tails - can work it out on curbs but I lose the board when I have to pop higher onto ledges. End up standing in stance on the ledge with no board. Also even on curbs for fakie tailslide I struggle to find the balance between slipping out on to my face and leaning too far back so it sticks.

fakie manuals- any trick to these? My reg manual and nose mannys are fine but my balance on fakie is trash and getting pitched is scary.
I can only so a fakie tail if I shuv into it, which pretty much doesn't count right? Try that naybe, but a fakie manny? Can do boss! Practice like a shadow boxing version, as you brush yet teeth or sum shit. So get used to that muscle group. Then do them as fast as you can. I used to try an "bomb" my cul de sa ina fakie manny. So practice the balance and full speed.
Hope it helps and fakie crooks would be doap, godspeed VHS.
Whoa. Danger.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #321 on: October 10, 2020, 06:34:06 PM »
fs shuv

i rarely tried them bc whenever i did they'd just get caught on my front foot heel and I'd feel dumb. Last night I had a dream i was doing fs shuv bs 5-0 and i woke up super determined to get them but man i suck at learning flatground

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #322 on: October 10, 2020, 10:33:46 PM »
fs shuv

i rarely tried them bc whenever i did they'd just get caught on my front foot heel and I'd feel dumb. Last night I had a dream i was doing fs shuv bs 5-0 and i woke up super determined to get them but man i suck at learning flatground

Can you FS No Comply? The motion is really similar and you can even practice the No Comply FS Shove, just don't turn your body. The scooping motion is exactly the same, then just add the jump from the pop and baby you got a stew going.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #323 on: October 10, 2020, 11:04:01 PM »
You really have to push your board forward....your popping foot is in the pocket you push your foot towards the nose....I'd tinker around with how much you hang your front toes off too....some people it's lots, some a bit less....

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #324 on: October 11, 2020, 12:46:37 AM »
You really have to push your board forward....your popping foot is in the pocket you push your foot towards the nose....I'd tinker around with how much you hang your front toes off too....some people it's lots, some a bit less....

This too, I have my foot hanging off like I would a heelflip. I mean, if heelflips weren't the fucking bane of my existance.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1562
« Reply #325 on: October 11, 2020, 08:15:45 AM »
I just have kinda got them switch now and I have to put my popping foot on the edge of the tail....regs is pocket, it's weird.  On the front foot, I say this because for lots of people the board goes behind them, so maybe not hanging your toes too much counters this....

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #326 on: October 11, 2020, 02:44:36 PM »
Front feeble fs 180
Front tail kickflip to fakie
Blunt kickflip to fakie
Proper nose slides . I have no problem doing them on a tall ledge or slappying in on a low one but cant pop into low ledges its dumb

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #327 on: October 11, 2020, 03:14:02 PM »
Fakie tail to regular. I have only boards and 50 so it's crazy that a new one has come along

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #328 on: October 19, 2020, 07:01:14 AM »
i recently filmed myself doing a kickflip over stuff and realize my shoulders turn so frontside when I land I'm my upper body is literally turned 90 degrees frontside. Whatever I do I can't control my shoulders it's driving me crazy. I need like a straightjacket or something. I've even started practicing it with my arms like straight out facing forward and back and I still turn

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 830
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #329 on: October 20, 2020, 05:03:20 AM »
not really a trick but i have been struggling to keep my legs tucked over the board for the "float" effect. any tips to getting that technique down? tired of stomping out everything and breaking boards prematurely
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo