Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48000 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #360 on: November 16, 2020, 01:51:12 PM »
I can do the frontside version, that’s what sparked me to start learning them backside. You need to go extra fast because the powerslide slows you down a lot, can’t seem to slide them very far though once I’m locked in...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #361 on: November 16, 2020, 02:44:25 PM »
I can do the frontside version, that’s what sparked me to start learning them backside. You need to go extra fast because the powerslide slows you down a lot, can’t seem to slide them very far though once I’m locked in...

That got me thinking, I can't really do those noseblunt powerslide things on flat but but if you or anyone else can, I just imagined one into an actual nosebluntslide on a curb would be sick. You'd have to either find the perfect curb size and shape or somehow nudge yourself up there, maybe using the wheel bounce from the 'slappy'.

Glurmpz

« Reply #362 on: November 16, 2020, 03:11:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That got me thinking, I can't really do those noseblunt powerslide things on flat but but if you or anyone else can, I just imagined one into an actual nosebluntslide on a curb would be sick. You'd have to either find the perfect curb size and shape or somehow nudge yourself up there, maybe using the wheel bounce from the 'slappy'.

You just reminded me that I used to do something similar for a short period in the early 2000’s and completely forgot about it.
I would go into a nosebluntslide from riding on top of the ledge. So basically, the power slide style but you’re already on top. Tried out of nose manual but never quite got it.

sKINGraft

• Rep: 28
  • space doo-doo pistols
« Reply #363 on: November 17, 2020, 12:06:40 PM »
Not a trick more of a technique I’m trying to learn. I have 360 flips every try but I find I flick too much and I dont catch them well. Does anyone have tips to scoop and flip the board fast to catch it when the board reaches its peak height. I’m wondering if it is because I’m short that I don’t have a powerful scoop, because everyone I watch (Kalis, Nate Jones, Jamie platt, etc.) all have a mean tre flip and are tall.

dont scoop it unless you expect to get your height through the helicopter motion your board will do

pop it same as you would any other trick, i find popping your backfoot slightly backwards (reverse of direction of travel) helps to send it upwards AND keep it underneath you

dont forget to jump

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #364 on: November 19, 2020, 02:23:01 PM »
How the fuck do people learn and keep flatground tricks

I got a pretty good bag of ledge tricks, but my flatground just keeps getting worse and worse. Probably like 4 months ago I had shuvs, bigspin, kickflip, heelflip, and could catch a couple fs flips and get really close to tres. The tricks I had also felt good like I did kf 5050 and kf manual.

Now I lost all of them and it's not for lack of trying just day by day they get worse and worse until it becomes such a challenge to land even one kickflip even though they used to be almost every try. I know so many of my friends who can barely do a 5050 but have a deep ass bag of flatground tricks just from messing around, not even trying hard to learn anything. Whats the secret I don't wanna just only be able to ollie and shuv damnit

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #365 on: November 19, 2020, 06:34:54 PM »
How the fuck do people learn and keep flatground tricks

I got a pretty good bag of ledge tricks, but my flatground just keeps getting worse and worse. Probably like 4 months ago I had shuvs, bigspin, kickflip, heelflip, and could catch a couple fs flips and get really close to tres. The tricks I had also felt good like I did kf 5050 and kf manual.

Now I lost all of them and it's not for lack of trying just day by day they get worse and worse until it becomes such a challenge to land even one kickflip even though they used to be almost every try. I know so many of my friends who can barely do a 5050 but have a deep ass bag of flatground tricks just from messing around, not even trying hard to learn anything. Whats the secret I don't wanna just only be able to ollie and shuv damnit

Same struggle here, I have all my basic ledge tricks but I suck at flatground. I've given up on heelflips entirely (fuck 'em) and only do kickflip variations. And likewise I've seen kids who have a deep bag of flatground tricks and perfect 360 flips but struggle with 50-50s. A year ago I could only BS Shuv, FS Shuv, FS Flip and Half-Cab Flip; every regular kickflip was a rocket + mob flip. Fast forward today and I've got my staples down, still not deep by any means but more consistent than a year ago. Even added Big Spins, BS Kickflip (10 year struggle), 360 flips and occasionally switch heelflips,

Speaking anecdotally: flatground tricks are finesse tricks, requiring much more precision to get weight distribution, timing, rotation, eye point right. If you're popping at a weird angle or your shoulders aren't aligned the board doesn't cooperate. Grind / slide tricks are much more forgiving in terms of precise motion since you can compensate it with speed and forward momentum. That said a KF BS Tailslide or popping out mid-ledge of a Nosegrind still requires precision, just a different kind.

It's frustrating to have a small bag of flatground tricks and the problem is exacerbated when I'm at the park, neglecting any flatground so I can keep skating the ledge.

I can't do them well
I'll skate other things
My flatground deteriorates
I can't do them well
I'll skate other things
I can't do them well
I'll skate other things

It's pop science but flatground works best for me when I'm not overthinking it or trying too hard. I stick to the stuff I know I can land, like a kickflip and correct it from there. Are my shoulders aligned? Am I getting a solid pop? Flicking too late? Dipping my head? Then apply that same line of working through the rest of the flatground tricks bit by bit. @silhouette mentioned it before but Fakie / Nollie variations of tricks can much easier than their regular / switch counterparts, so have fun with those. Also, a little help from a bank can do wonders to giving you the extra height / rotation needed.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2020, 01:03:31 AM »
For flatground stuff, understanding the technical aspect in the first place is important but as far as physical practice I'd say sweating it is counterproductive to a degree (unless you're really trying to learn something fucked up hard), in other terms whenever one wants to get specific flatground dialed I've observed that most of the time they're better off regularly throwing the tricks in the middle or at the end of their lines, casually, than singling them out and repeatedly trying them over and over. Once they've figured out how to form a trick, they're really just wasting energy and might even develop bad habits by doing that. Doing stuff in lines makes you really want it in the spur of the moment, whereas repeatedly trying a flatground trick you're barely able to form, your brain will really start tuning off a few unsuccessful attempts into the process.

Also something I never really see people bring up is actually keeping landing tricks throughout a session is important, and it doesn't matter what the tricks are and how simple, frequency on makes count in the flow and vibe of a session. Doing all the shit you have dialed and landing more stuff than you bail in general will keep you in the groove whereas repeatedly failing stuff and spending more time on the ground than rolling around will break it and make everything a lot harder (occasionally sending you into a downwards spiral mentally). If something just doesn't work in a few tries just fuck it, keep going with more lands on other stuff and try again later. Basically the logic behind the THPS special meter is real, regardless of how corny that vulgarization might sound.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2020, 01:23:40 AM »
Also something I never really see people bring up is actually keeping landing tricks throughout a session is important, and it doesn't matter what the tricks are and how simple, frequency on makes count in the flow and vibe of a session. Doing all the shit you have dialed and landing more stuff than you bail in general will keep you in the groove whereas repeatedly failing stuff and spending more time on the ground than rolling around will break it and make everything a lot harder (occasionally sending you into a downwards spiral mentally). If something just doesn't work in a few tries just fuck it, keep going with more lands on other stuff and try again later. Basically the logic behind the THPS special meter is real, regardless of how corny that vulgarization might sound.

For sure. I think it also helps calm you down and you skate with a lot less tension both physically and psychologically.  Spending a lot of time missing tricks is jarring and you end up nit-picking where you go wrong and spend a lot of the session in a doubtful state of mind.
My old basketball coach would always get me to warm up with easy shots close to the basket or at my favoured "go to" spots for the same reason.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »
Everyone needs encouragement during their sport or activity. In Muay Thai my coaches would smile or exclaim loudly on a solid kick or combination to keep my morale up.
I used to keep trying tricks for hours on end growing up but it really stunted my progress and killed me mentally. These days I'll see how I'm feeling during the session. If things are flowing well I'll push myself to try something new. If not I'll stick to my staples but get them cleaner, faster, longer etc.
Incorporating tricks in a line is a lot of fun too and feels much more natural than hammering 1 trick out for hours. It looks good and feels good.

Got to get that special meter fully charged!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #369 on: November 21, 2020, 01:39:54 PM »
Totally agree with all that's being said about not forcing the process of learning tricks and making sure to take time to do things you know you can make and have fun doing during a session.

Set out for an early morning session with the end goal of landing a few fakie heels, which give me nightmares because I'm at the point where I land every one in five or so. I'm really close to dialing them in.

Instead of heading right for the flat ground bball court at my local, I warmed up with other shit and skated the ledges... didn't even think about fakie heels. Then I cruised over to the smooth flat and threw about 4 or 5 with no luck, so I went back to skating ledges and having fun. I repeated this a few times and then ended up landing a few in a row on one trip to the flat, which def would not have happened if I stressed over them for an hour straight.

It's all in ya head.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #370 on: December 10, 2020, 08:27:23 PM »
@johnes you trying the shove out frontside too or backside? Backside I find is really easy, barely different from doing it out of nosewheelie. Frontside is harder because the board has to go over the top of the ledge and that's harder to control unless you do it at the end of the obstacle.

@dallou the best way to get quicker feet is to cruise around a lot and ollie every other small thing, I think that's the best and most fun way to learn how to spontaneously react to stuff coming up every second and pick it up real quickly.
Backside, it seems like it shouldn’t be hard but I’m really bad at balancing nose grinds and end up doing 5050s 70% of the attempts, I haven’t tried again since I posted about trying to learn it, I actually forgot I had been trying that until just now lol.
Although I got really close to landing one with a frontside nollie shuv, I just happened to feel like my legs wanted to do it on one attempt and I landed with the front foot on and the back foot mostly on the ground but my toe was on and if my back foot had been like 6inches to the left it would have been a super happy accident.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #371 on: December 14, 2020, 04:37:59 AM »
Half cab nose slide front 270 out.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #372 on: December 14, 2020, 05:58:54 AM »
Consistent proper kickflips. Also working on heelflips and FS flips but nowhere near landing them atm  >:(
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #373 on: December 14, 2020, 08:14:37 AM »
Hardflip and switch tre. I have landed these tricks by luck one time each, but I can't do them.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #374 on: December 14, 2020, 08:52:40 AM »
Slappy tail slides, FS & BS.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #375 on: December 14, 2020, 09:06:23 AM »
Trying to get fs flips and switch frontside 3s consistent. Trying to learn switch fs bigspin. I can stick one or two a session but it’s always sketchy and I step off.
Also trying to learn kickflip manuals. I have regular kickflips 1000/1000 and I can Ollie in to manuals really well but trying to put them together is the most frustrating shit. So far I’ve learned how to land on the tail every try but now it’s a weight/ timing thing.

Kickflip manuals - just trust your 'automatic' kickflips up the thing you're trying to manual (kickflips up stuff have always felt a lot different than on flat for me because you're especially focused on clearing the obstacle height and thus a bit less on the trick itself), and treat it like a normal ollie into the manual just with the extra flick somewhere in there, the kickflip really should feel like a natural extension of the motion you're used to with no real afterthought. The worst that can happen on that trick is catching the flip upside down or landing on the tail like you said so you can allow yourself to feel comfortable with that part and not overthink the kickflip at all, that won't cost you to eat shit.

Switch bigspins you need to find the right pop and then they should become really easy in no time if you're already catching and landing on them. Really focus on the switch frontside 180 motion with your upper body as you sort of use the rebound of the tail to send it around over to your other foot for the catch like you're essentially passing a soccer ball to yourself (that's how it tends to feel like). Done right the trick should really feel like a switch frontside 180 (rollaway included) just with that extra little pass in the middle of it.

Switch frontside 360 ollie is a cool trick, much easier than regs. They're all in the shoulders and trusting your weight distribution on the landing (the only mistake one can do here is thinking of the trick as a 360 nollie and landing on the wrong truck, that's all you really need to figure out how to avoid). You should try switch f/s flips if you're into switch frontside tricks, I find them easier than both normal stance frontside flips and straight switch flips (it's actually a fun secret way to get better at switch flips).

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #376 on: December 14, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
I'm with you on this one mate!
I can lock into them fine, just need to get my slide going for a bit longer

Since I'm obsessed with switch 360 (frontside) power slides, I've started doing switch 270 to front nose bash/ slappy!
I think this could be a really cool trick

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #377 on: December 15, 2020, 12:05:51 AM »
Manny fs revert to fakie manny. I just want to feel a smiggen of what Daewon feels.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #378 on: December 15, 2020, 12:57:47 AM »
Switch fs 360 is one of my favorite tricks. Majority of the time I land in manual or I land dead in my tracks.

Mine usually feel like I'm using my hips for the last quarter of the rotation, as if I'm short on height (and I don't have much pop on that trick, I mostly just scoop it) then that allows me to 'brute force slide' through whatever is left of it on flat (ideally as little as possible) without needing to land on just two wheels, basically when you figure out the right weight distribution the landing comes pretty naturally and you can easily fix whatever's going wrong on that particular attempt by pushing through and it's kind of a blind motion where I rely on my hips and straightened non-popping leg to guide the last part around naturally as my lower body realigns with my upper body. I probably learned them with a revert on just two wheels at first, though, can't remember, either way once you can do that my technique is essentially the same except on all four wheels whenever I miss getting the full 360 in the air (which is a lot, but not always).

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #379 on: December 15, 2020, 03:27:08 AM »
front lip 270 shove, i think it'd work well on this spot

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #380 on: December 15, 2020, 05:32:37 AM »
Half cab nose slide front 270 out.

Expand Quote
1/2 Cab Noseslide 270 out
[close]

This one and its nollie counterpart elude me too even though I do nollie tails and halfcab noses a lot, to the point where I'd be more comfortable trying to pretzel out the other way, but I know exactly why, it's because I don't want to commit to a 360 trick from that position, a lot of the rotation is blindside and it's pretty scary launching yourself off the obstacle that particular way. But if I really wanted to learn them I think I'd focus on the 360 and not the noseslide/tailslide part to the point where locking in would be an afterthought, so my shoulders would be aligned with what I'm actually trying to do. I kind of see it like when people do, say, halfcab k b/s 180 out and it looks like they really just kind of caballerial'd with some nosepick action in the middle. You gotta trust the trick and momentum and dare to shift your weight, which is exactly what I know at least I don't do. Kind of similar to people first learning bigspins and constantly slipping out because they underestimate how much they need to spin and are (again) scared to commit to so much. For nollie tailslide to fakies I literally imagine I'm doing a frontside 180 nollie on flat with an accessory tailslide in the middle, the flow of the motion is everything so I assume one has to approach the boosted version the same way. Also one thing I'm just now realizing that also resonates with that logic is I used to do switch boardslide 270's a lot and those always felt like flatground switch 360 ollies to me where you'd just delay the rotation a tiny bit.

On occasion I do do this shitty trick where I'll land into manual after a halfcab nose by accident and have too much momentum in my upper body so to stay on the board I'll spontaneously revert back to fakie from there, so it's like a halfcab nose 270 on the wrong truck but that's a mistake and not the real thing. That reflex actually happens a lot to me as a 'save' to roll away from ledge tricks I catch myself accidentally landing on the back truck, even simple front boards.

Same trick I'm working on. I'm still not rotating early enough on the exit, like 1/4 second earlier, still feels like I'm cheating by reverting the last 180 after all 4 wheels make contact. What I found helps with the rotation is having the shoulder of your sliding foot (I'm regular, my left foot presses on the nose during the slide) be parallel to the ledge, so you pre-wind your body to make the exit smoother and faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32HEv17pAiU

Matt Bennett doesn't do a good job explaining but pretzling your upper body really helps the lower body with the exit rotation.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2020, 06:35:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm with you on this one mate!
I can lock into them fine, just need to get my slide going for a bit longer

Since I'm obsessed with switch 360 (frontside) power slides, I've started doing switch 270 to front nose bash/ slappy!
I think this could be a really cool trick

Yeah, I know we were discussing techniques the other day but I've hardly had any chance to skate. Going to get out for like an hour on my lunch break today and just try and work them out.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 126
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #382 on: December 15, 2020, 07:47:57 AM »
got a few I have to relearn and some new ones I'm trying to work out. Having nerve damage from a back injury means relearning stuff all the time though. The new ones for me are full cab (can do nollie 360 but never just cab), nose bash 180 pretzel way, and half cab flip. Alway been able to half cab heel but never kf for some reason...it's usually a shin basher so I just never commit to it. I also need to relearn just about any ledge trick, even 5050. My legs keep getting the wires crossed and wind up going bolt straight for some reason, i'm talking anything above curb height.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #383 on: December 16, 2020, 09:17:59 AM »
Madonnas, I have lien to tails down very well, fingerflip tails too. But somehow I cant stick my foot out.
I can do Beanplant to tails like a madonna, but its different, since you use your front leg to press your weight up the transition. Sticking your foot out mid air just doesn't work for me

I love lien to tails and I've tried madonnas before, I agree the motion is so weird. The only ones I've actually 'landed' (personally I don't count that) have been with a stall on the way down instead of just the cool tail tap thing going with the flow. I think there's something about the front foot barely being even needed for lien to tails, since you're grabbing the board it doesn't have to guide the ollie around and that's what needs to be exploited, so with that in mind, to me getting the foot out that way isn't too hard but then it's mostly getting it back on without the need for a lunch break on the coping with a view. Probably comes with practice.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #384 on: December 16, 2020, 02:56:52 PM »
Fs nose slide, I'm getting on the ledge but always end with little to no slide and usually fakie out. I gotta man up and sit on my leg but it's kinda scary.

Also varial flips, just figured out today how to properly flick it. They must look gross but a super fun trick to do.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #385 on: December 16, 2020, 03:07:12 PM »
Fs nose slide, I'm getting on the ledge but always end with little to no slide and usually fakie out. I gotta man up and sit on my leg but it's kinda scary.

Also varial flips, just figured out today how to properly flick it. They must look gross but a super fun trick to do.

Possibly turn less, keep the weight on your toe, dip your front (left if you're regular) shoulder down a bit lower when you get in

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #386 on: December 20, 2020, 05:42:57 AM »
Tips on varial heels/heelflip shove its?

Trying to learn them now and 1 of these two things usually happens:

1. I stay over the board but under flip the heelflip, landing on the board wheels up

2. I complete the rotation and flip but the board lands behind me.

NG

• Rep: 17
« Reply #387 on: December 20, 2020, 06:27:55 AM »
Bs noseblunts on a very small quarterpipe. I just started thinking of them as a very late back disaster, or a back disaster that I fuck up on and end up landing on top of the coping. Still trying to get them without perching up there for a while but I had always thought these would be way out of reach.

Any tips for smoothing things out and making the pause on top shorter?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2020, 09:22:00 AM »

1. I stay over the board but under flip the heelflip, landing on the board wheels up

Stick with what you are doing when the board lands under you wheel side up, then adjust your flicking foot positioning. I only have my toes just barely hanging off the board for mine, but some people will have nearly half their foot hanging.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #389 on: December 22, 2020, 12:59:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Stick with what you are doing when the board lands under you wheel side up, then adjust your flicking foot positioning. I only have my toes just barely hanging off the board for mine, but some people will have nearly half their foot hanging.

Thank you, I had to play with my foot positioning a lot when learning heelflips and for these, I've just been putting my front foot in the same spot as when I heelflip. I'm going to try to see how it feels to adjust it when I'm going for heelflip Shuvs

Not directly related, but has anyone found that opening up your shoulders in the direction you are moving has helped your skating? Lately I've been trying to be really intentional about keeping my shoulders open so my upper body is facing the direction I'm moving before a trick and it has helped with many different tricks. I feel that it really helps with backside ledge tricks, sucking up Ollies to get over things, and staying over/catching flip tricks.

Cyrus Bennett's style is a good example of what I'm talking about.