Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48631 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #390 on: December 23, 2020, 09:36:12 AM »
360 flops I got the scoop down and land on the back foot but it either comes out like a impossible or 360 shuv WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME?!
Dueces Bitch's

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #391 on: December 25, 2020, 02:03:22 AM »
360 flops I got the scoop down and land on the back foot but it either comes out like a impossible or 360 shuv WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME?!

Front foot placement or flick motion is probably a little off. You're supposed to build tension over the board and then release it in a way that feels like the front foot action is an automatic reaction to the back foot action. Gotta find that sweet spot for both feet and then the right pop for it. If done properly you should fell your front foot lifting the board on its way up, otherwise it means you're missing the flick.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #392 on: December 25, 2020, 06:46:05 AM »
FS Nosegrind 180 out. Tried them for 2 hours in the blazing heat and only did 3 under-rotates ones. Trick tip videos aren't helpful - use your shoulders to rotate out is not helpful enough. Ideally I want to get a decent length grind before the 180 out but all the trick tips teach the nosebonk version.

Some observations:
- Can't keep my weight centered over my front truck, or maybe it's too centered and not in a position to rotate out?
- I get the best success when I pop low enough to lock in, too high and my tail is too high up, too much weight is on my nose

Where should I be looking before during and after the grind? And if anyone has the word on them, please spread the move.

I always look where I want to land then the pivot point and back. .
I almost always bs nose Grind now. It's just easier. I can still do the fs nose Grind fs 80 but it's always felt not great to me.

I have found it's all about letting your lead arm do the beginning. Then with out dropping it use your back arm to make the pivot.

Under rotation can be slid out if you twist your back foot on it's tippy toes.

I'm like 10 Valiums deep rn. I'll clean this post later
.I can maybe film one this week?
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #393 on: December 25, 2020, 01:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Front foot placement or flick motion is probably a little off. You're supposed to build tension over the board and then release it in a way that feels like the front foot action is an automatic reaction to the back foot action. Gotta find that sweet spot for both feet and then the right pop for it. If done properly you should fell your front foot lifting the board on its way up, otherwise it means you're missing the flick.
I figured them out from being kinda not hunched but emphasis over the back truck and scoop the back foot like a almost inward kicking your groin flamingo maneuver they look hurt and sketchy but what trick doesn't look whack till later on?
Dueces Bitch's

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #394 on: December 26, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Tips on varial heels/heelflip shove its?

Trying to learn them now and 1 of these two things usually happens:

1. I stay over the board but under flip the heelflip, landing on the board wheels up

2. I complete the rotation and flip but the board lands behind me.
[close]

Jam the ball of your foot up against the concave load it up good......then do a front shuv.....it should roll over for yah....

You know how your first learned kickflips or varial flips, you kinda pre-pressure, I still do this with v-heels and it still works...

Stick with what you are doing when the board lands under you wheel side up, then adjust your flicking foot positioning. I only have my toes just barely hanging off the board for mine, but some people will have nearly half their foot hanging.
[close]

Thank you, I had to play with my foot positioning a lot when learning heelflips and for these, I've just been putting my front foot in the same spot as when I heelflip. I'm going to try to see how it feels to adjust it when I'm going for heelflip Shuvs

Not directly related, but has anyone found that opening up your shoulders in the direction you are moving has helped your skating? Lately I've been trying to be really intentional about keeping my shoulders open so my upper body is facing the direction I'm moving before a trick and it has helped with many different tricks. I feel that it really helps with backside ledge tricks, sucking up Ollies to get over things, and staying over/catching flip tricks.

Cyrus Bennett's style is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 114
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #395 on: December 27, 2020, 12:43:06 AM »
Fakie bigger spins, I’m getting better at doing the deconstructed version (fakie big spin to late revert) but can’t seem to get them closer to being a single movement ...
Also working on the Kit Kat version where you frontside whip it back to fakie

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #396 on: December 28, 2020, 03:34:49 PM »
pop off middle of the board

i notice when i ollie up stuff/when i feel like my ollies feel like shit i pop off the toeside edge of the tail, beyond the toeside edge of baseplate so it's turning so hard in the air and feels bad

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #397 on: December 29, 2020, 05:52:02 AM »
pop off middle of the board

i notice when i ollie up stuff/when i feel like my ollies feel like shit i pop off the toeside edge of the tail, beyond the toeside edge of baseplate so it's turning so hard in the air and feels bad

I did the toe side edge pop for many years and wondered why I had such a hard time controlling ollies and getting them up/over things. It wasn't until I saw some footage if me trying one that I even realized what I was doing wrong.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #398 on: December 29, 2020, 06:17:16 AM »
I would really like to learn how to pop out of 50/50s but its just too much for my brain/body to compute - ollie on ledge - grind and balance - then I just manage somehow to fall off the ledge or at best sort of no pop turn out and roll away.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #399 on: December 29, 2020, 11:47:07 AM »
Switch manny front shuv
Switch 5-0 front shuv

gotten way closer to switch 5-0 front shuv... They just... Evade me...

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #400 on: December 30, 2020, 08:52:18 AM »

I did the toe side edge pop for many years and wondered why I had such a hard time controlling ollies and getting them up/over things. It wasn't until I saw some footage if me trying one that I even realized what I was doing wrong.

Any tips? I'm seriously losing my mind over this. I've been trying all kinds of crazy back foot positions and nothing seems to work :(

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #401 on: December 31, 2020, 09:26:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Any tips? I'm seriously losing my mind over this. I've been trying all kinds of crazy back foot positions and nothing seems to work :(

For me, it came from the fact that I had developed a habit of popping ollies with the ball of my foot, sometimes with toes even hanging off the topside edge on the tail. It looked and felt awful. The fix was actually pretty simple, I just tried to put my toes directly in the middle of the tail and all the way back on the edge (as far as my foot could go without toes hanging off) whenever popping any ollie. In fact, to make it a habit I would keep my toes there intentionally as I was cruising around and make a point to pop over anything and everything (over manholes/cracks/trash in the street, up and down curbs whenever I could). Soon it just became the natural foot placement my body goes to whenever doing an ollie, and they felt much more consistent and I felt much more confident doing them (this also made kickflips feel 1000% better, too)
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

shredder sequel

• Rep: 58
« Reply #402 on: December 31, 2020, 07:14:36 PM »
Kickflips. I’ve avoided learning them since I first saw somebody do one in the 80s. Now I decided to learn them to give me something to do while I’m unemployed.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #403 on: December 31, 2020, 08:42:25 PM »
I would really like to learn how to pop out of 50/50s but its just too much for my brain/body to compute - ollie on ledge - grind and balance - then I just manage somehow to fall off the ledge or at best sort of no pop turn out and roll away.

For me it came down to being able to skate on a really nice, long ledge. I'm just a month or 2 back into skating and had never thought about adjusting foot placement or popping out of a 50-50 until relearning the trick on said ledge.

On the long, buttery ledge I realized that I don't have to rush to get out of the grind, I could work on balance and adjust the feet. I mean, it took realizing that by focusing on adjusting my feet during the 5050 the only thing I had to lose was possibly not landing the trick. It was all a mental game. You know what I mean? In paying attention to foot placement while in the grind, I started paying attention to placement while popping into the grind and realized that to lock in on a mid shin/knee height ledge I need the front foot right around the back front bolts. Once I'm locked, I can start moving and not rush in and out of the grind. Once feet are adjusted, I pop

Maybe that makes sense.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: January 01, 2021, 07:37:04 AM »
Back foot in the pocket.....Ive always sucked at this and I'm just getting it now....so many tricks no pop out...

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #405 on: January 01, 2021, 08:35:32 AM »

Maybe that makes sense.

I guess it does, thanks. I have a long buttery ledge (actually metal clad) so I will give it a try next time it‘s dry outside.

Back foot in the pocket.....Ive always sucked at this and I'm just getting it now....so many tricks no pop out...

What do you mean, back foot in the pocket is the problem or the solution?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #406 on: January 01, 2021, 03:09:58 PM »
Expand Quote

Maybe that makes sense.
[close]

I guess it does, thanks. I have a long buttery ledge (actually metal clad) so I will give it a try next time it‘s dry outside.

Expand Quote

[close]

for sure. in a nutshell, for me anyways, it's just about not rushing and experiencing new foot placements.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #407 on: January 01, 2021, 03:47:42 PM »
Cab flips
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 75
« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »
Fakie manuals, learning how to hold them longer first

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2021, 11:28:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Maybe that makes sense.
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

for sure. in a nutshell, for me anyways, it's just about not rushing and experiencing new foot placements.

Yah, your toe should be in the heel side pocket...I guess even if it's not, you pop off that zone....even practice it on the ground or something small and you're comfortable with.....in....out....

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #410 on: January 03, 2021, 10:04:00 PM »
switch back 50/50 - frontside is one of my go to's but for some reason when I try backside all of my weight is on the front leg or I go into willie grind. At my age, I'm losing hope that i'll get them.

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 33
« Reply #411 on: January 05, 2021, 01:36:51 AM »
switch back 50/50 - frontside is one of my go to's but for some reason when I try backside all of my weight is on the front leg or I go into willie grind. At my age, I'm losing hope that i'll get them.

Same Issue. Almost everything switch/fakie backside does not make any sense for me(except sw crooks). I just don't know where too look, when to pop etc. Back truck is always missing. I think the main problem are my shoulders and upper body in general. Just never got used to it. I have to look backwards and have my whole body already twisted before popping to get backside 180 tricks completely around switch.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #412 on: January 05, 2021, 01:58:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same Issue. Almost everything switch/fakie backside does not make any sense for me(except sw crooks). I just don't know where too look, when to pop etc. Back truck is always missing. I think the main problem are my shoulders and upper body in general. Just never got used to it. I have to look backwards and have my whole body already twisted before popping to get backside 180 tricks completely around switch.

Copy and pasting what I said to someone else in another thread about switch backside 5050s, 5-0s etc:

Roll up at a decent angle, put your front foot slightly further down than you normally would. When you're rolling up and popping you can look at the ledge/the direction you're going and have your shoulders slightly open.

As soon as you pop, turn your shoulders backside so that they are parallel with the ledge, to help with this you can try to look at your back foot immediately after you pop. I find that helps me trick my body into closing off my shoulders better and it also helps line up the board with the ledge. This will be scary af at first because you'll feel really blind to everything but once you get used to it it starts to feel kinda natural. You really have to feel like you're way overdoing the backside turn.

Also make sure you pop a straight, if not slightly backside, ollie and don't subconsciously turn it frontside at all to get into willy/boardslide/feeble. Practicing switch ollies parallel (or at a slight angle) backside up a curb can also help you get the feeling.

I think a lot of switch tricks (50s, 5-0s, smiths) are easier to learn/get into frontside but once you figure out how to get into them backside its less awkward to hold onto and feels more natural to sit on.

Hombreezy

« Reply #413 on: January 05, 2021, 09:51:22 AM »
Nollie bs 180 to fakie manual
Fakie bs flip
Bs 360

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #414 on: January 05, 2021, 10:49:43 AM »

When I'm trying this trick what seems to be the moving target is the point which I say.....'oh fuck no.... Never'. Sometimes it's 3 feet from the curb....sometimes it's when I pop....

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #415 on: January 05, 2021, 12:22:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For me, it came from the fact that I had developed a habit of popping ollies with the ball of my foot, sometimes with toes even hanging off the topside edge on the tail. It looked and felt awful. The fix was actually pretty simple, I just tried to put my toes directly in the middle of the tail and all the way back on the edge (as far as my foot could go without toes hanging off) whenever popping any ollie. In fact, to make it a habit I would keep my toes there intentionally as I was cruising around and make a point to pop over anything and everything (over manholes/cracks/trash in the street, up and down curbs whenever I could). Soon it just became the natural foot placement my body goes to whenever doing an ollie, and they felt much more consistent and I felt much more confident doing them (this also made kickflips feel 1000% better, too)

Pretty sure it was @Uncle Flea who initially posted it, but pretend your board is only as wide as the baseplates (for both feet). It definitely helped me with my pop and getting out of some really bad habits with foot positioning.

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #416 on: January 06, 2021, 02:50:24 AM »
Fakie kickflip. I can land with the ball of my front foot barely on the deck but thats it. Frustrating the shit out of me.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #417 on: January 06, 2021, 08:00:32 AM »
Fs blunt on ledges after that I’ll learn shuv out

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1926
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #418 on: January 06, 2021, 06:00:27 PM »
Fs blunt on ledges after that I’ll learn shuv out

Same, I'm popping way too high and over-rotating my board onto the ledge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #419 on: January 06, 2021, 06:45:15 PM »
Nollie heels

Not computing.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in