Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47982 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #420 on: January 06, 2021, 08:13:40 PM »
Best trick to credit card yourself on...

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #421 on: January 06, 2021, 08:51:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Fs blunt on ledges after that I’ll learn shuv out
[close]

Same, I'm popping way too high and over-rotating my board onto the ledge.

Keep your ollie rocketed, dont have to turn that much either, wayyyyy less than a back tail. Wrote something about blunts somewhere, I could try dig that up.

I used to do a lot of front blunts but lost them a while ago, trying to (re)learn them too and its been a chore. I can hold and slide them very vertically very comfortably from the muscle memory, but my brain has been glitching on the dismount for like 18 months now, can't figure out what it is.

Also kinda trying to get comfortable doing tricks over stuff again. Never considered myself someone who really had pop but I could ollie over stuff just short of the height of a board without too much difficulty, switch ollies over sideways bins  were super natural too. But not skating over stuff in a year or two has made it such a struggle, and doing lots of switch 5-0s on small ledges has messed up my switch ollie form. Not fun to practice though

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #422 on: January 12, 2021, 07:16:46 PM »
Back smiths on concrete ledges. Whose got the tips? I can do them but require so much effort and can’t sit on them.

imjusthereforthechips

« Reply #423 on: January 14, 2021, 02:24:47 AM »
currently trying to learn how to control my drinking without aa, medication, and all the other bullshit(one of my new years resolutions). i quit cigarettes, coke, painkillers, barbs, and most recently, weed all on my own so addiction is no stranger to me. so far ive been trying to drink less and less with each day but tonight is one of those nights where its just going down like water. nothing bad happened to me to make it happen, its just one of those nights.

codymacfan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #424 on: January 14, 2021, 01:11:23 PM »
Nollie heels

Not computing.

I found that my main issue w/ these was having my toes hang off too much on the flicking foot. Put my flick foot a little more centered and they improved. Pop wise just popping fast and hard. Seems to be my strategy w/ all heel flip tricks.

Space Cowboy

• Rep: 69
« Reply #425 on: January 14, 2021, 02:35:40 PM »
Back smiths on concrete ledges. Whose got the tips? I can do them but require so much effort and can’t sit on them.

I was hoping someone would have a tip on this too, fs smith on concrete ledges took a while to figure out but I can't get the bs smith to grind

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #426 on: January 14, 2021, 07:38:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was hoping someone would have a tip on this too, fs smith on concrete ledges took a while to figure out but I can't get the bs smith to grind

I'm not particularly good at holding them, and struggle a lot with getting in in the middle of the ledge and popping out, but can do them on most concrete ledges. Gotta focus on ollieing into the ledge gently, not down onto the ledge if that makes sense. And of course leaning back and really pushing the back foot... and wax. Front foot a lil bit further back might help too.

Switch flip back tail has been ruining my life for a while now. I guess I've technically done a few, but yet to roll away clean from a good one. Plan is to keep flinging a few every other sesh and hope that it clicks one day.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 07:45:45 PM by tzhangdox »

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #427 on: January 23, 2021, 09:32:11 PM »
this is as close as I’m getting for now.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #428 on: January 24, 2021, 01:47:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this is as close as I’m getting for now.

Tried FS Blunts today and only slide on 1 after 10 attempts, no land yet. I feel like I should be locking in way earlier on the ledge; on the attempts I lock and slide I barely have any time to react to the exit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #429 on: January 24, 2021, 08:33:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kinda toying with this now. I can get in to them but always leaning to far forward and I don’t know why I’m having trouble getting weight over back foot. Any tips ? I’m all ears.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #430 on: January 24, 2021, 11:54:25 AM »
switch running and throw down
fakie hardflip
and like that guy above me, fs smith on concrete ledges
IG: @flowterspace

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #431 on: January 24, 2021, 01:15:45 PM »
fakie hardflip
going off your name - do you have fs halfcab flips? That’s a trick I‘d like to learn

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: January 24, 2021, 05:50:44 PM »
Front blunt on ledges, lock and no slide, or controlled slide.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #433 on: January 25, 2021, 02:22:07 AM »
Bs tailslides for as long as I can remember
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #434 on: January 25, 2021, 07:52:40 AM »
Bs tailslides for as long as I can remember

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113553.0

Started this thread to help break through the struggle.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #435 on: January 25, 2021, 09:38:28 AM »
Bs big spins; I think I started to figure it out yesterday. I'm landing some 270 at this point, whereas I couldn't even spin them without the board doing a half flip before. Seems like putting my back foot right on the tip of the tail and my front foot pointed at the nose and little more centered on the board is making the difference; maybe my front foot is more able to guide the spin after I scoop it so it doesn't start to turn so much over that way? I'm thinking I just have to wind up and really throw my shoulders and hips a bit more and then it will come together.  At least then I might have a better chance of sliding that last 90 degrees and riding away, but the goal is a full 360 spin, obviously. 

Also nollie flips, but I had a breakthrough with controlling the flip yesterday.  I felt like a few of them I got were pretty nicely flicked, caught super clean with that satisfying smack on the soles of my feet, and I was shocked to even land a couple bolts. Really looking forward to seeing if I can get them more consistently; a nice, clean nollie flip is one of the most magical-looking tricks, in my opinion.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #436 on: January 25, 2021, 11:41:01 AM »
Expand Quote
fakie hardflip
[close]
going off your name - do you have fs halfcab flips? That’s a trick I‘d like to learn

well I learned them on a mellow bank first. my english isn't the best but I will try. I would say this trick is mostly in the shoulders, I always like to turn them a bit counterwise before I pop. to get that momentum to do a complete 180. my back foot is in the toe pocket of the tail and my front foot points toward the lower right front truck bolt. so my front foot is really angled.
Couch down, turn your shoulders a bit backside, pop, flick your front foot and turn your shoulders frontside.
Hope that made sense for you ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #437 on: January 28, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »
Been working on relearning and getting more consistent at a few recently

BS 5-0’s, a bit annoying as this used to be my go to, but keep putting down to 50-50 and can only land short ones.

Crooked grinds same thing, land in nose slide or don’t get board up on the ledge at all only shorties atm.

Frontside nose slide, but hold as long as possible. This ones working best as of late, can do them maybe 5-6ft which feels good.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #438 on: January 29, 2021, 07:31:10 AM »
I think the proper term is Fakie pop shuv into fakie front nosegrind(Or switch 5-0)? I recently learned just fakie ollies into them but I think if I commit that adding the shuv will go smoothly.

And nollie flips. Most fliptricks come semi naturally but i've been battling nollie flips a long time and they're finally getting close.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #439 on: January 29, 2021, 06:50:00 PM »

BS 5-0’s, a bit annoying as this used to be my go to, but keep putting down to 50-50 and can only land short ones.

Crooked grinds same thing, land in nose slide or don’t get board up on the ledge at all only shorties atm.

Frontside nose slide, but hold as long as possible. This ones working best as of late, can do them maybe 5-6ft which feels good.

You come out regs on those fs noseslides? I have never cracked the code on that, but really want it.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You come out regs on those fs noseslides? I have never cracked the code on that, but really want it.

Not if I hold onto them. Want to get those as well shows control.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2021, 08:18:22 PM »
Any wallride 180 out tips would be appreciated.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: January 30, 2021, 06:13:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm terrible at nollie fs 180's, I feel like having those down pat is a prerequisite

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #443 on: January 30, 2021, 06:44:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm terrible at nollie fs 180's, I feel like having those down pat is a prerequisite

While it would probably be a huge plus, I don't think it a must. While a nice little pop out would be sick, you can still do them and just come out normal. Whats helped me with the trick in general is focusing on putting my weight on my toe side wheel. This greatly reduces the stick/fall forward motion which feels awful when you're expecting to slide a bit.

I have lost BS 5-0's, For some reason as soon as I pop my tail I just give up and land in 50-50. Hard to explain, but can't make myself land in a 5-0. its at the point now I just move on now. It brings the rest of my session down and makes me feel like I'm terrible. Frustrating because I used to just chill on this one.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #444 on: January 30, 2021, 07:08:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

While it would probably be a huge plus, I don't think it a must. While a nice little pop out would be sick, you can still do them and just come out normal. Whats helped me with the trick in general is focusing on putting my weight on my toe side wheel. This greatly reduces the stick/fall forward motion which feels awful when you're expecting to slide a bit.

I have lost BS 5-0's, For some reason as soon as I pop my tail I just give up and land in 50-50. Hard to explain, but can't make myself land in a 5-0. its at the point now I just move on now. It brings the rest of my session down and makes me feel like I'm terrible. Frustrating because I used to just chill on this one.

I get you, the toe side pressure is key to a slide... I think I'm still figuring out that fs rotation off the nose and that's why I feel practice with 180s would help. Having a proper Jordan Trahan pop out is the stuff of dreams.

With back 5-0's I try to pop higher than necessary over the ledge, which lets me put my back truck down with some force. I have to exaggerate the put-down and have almost all my weight on my back foot in order to do em. I also feel way more comfortable when I lock in a bit shifted bs, like a suski.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #445 on: January 30, 2021, 08:06:01 AM »
"I'm terrible at nollie fs 180's, I feel like having those down pat is a prerequisite"

Hang your heels, push it in front and go for the 90....

I always find that only one is ever working....

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #446 on: January 30, 2021, 03:07:26 PM »
Difference between normal front nose and front nose fakie is for normal front nose, you don't turn your shoulders into the trick, you just extend your front leg in front of you and rely on your hips but otherwise the upper body stays in the line of where you're going the whole time (think of photos of skaters like Jake Rupp). If you stand on the ledge with your weight completely over the nose, your shoulders are going to want to align with the motion and you'll probably slip out to fakie. Whereas normal front nose should feel more like a shifty ollie at first, just with the extra pose and pause; that's why sliding them for long is the challenging part, the later you'll dismount the longer you'll have to fight the urge to completely shift your weight one way or the other for, until you find that sweet spot. Also I'm mentioning shifties but you don't need to know those for that trick I don't think, although it does probably help. Frontside nollies I'd say are a completely different thing and one 270'ing out of front nose 'the hard way' (or out of back nose the easy way) probably has more to do with than just a straight dismount.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #447 on: January 30, 2021, 08:45:19 PM »
Difference between normal front nose and front nose fakie is for normal front nose, you don't turn your shoulders into the trick, you just extend your front leg in front of you and rely on your hips but otherwise the upper body stays in the line of where you're going the whole time (think of photos of skaters like Jake Rupp). If you stand on the ledge with your weight completely over the nose, your shoulders are going to want to align with the motion and you'll probably slip out to fakie. Whereas normal front nose should feel more like a shifty ollie at first, just with the extra pose and pause; that's why sliding them for long is the challenging part, the later you'll dismount the longer you'll have to fight the urge to completely shift your weight one way or the other for, until you find that sweet spot. Also I'm mentioning shifties but you don't need to know those for that trick I don't think, although it does probably help. Frontside nollies I'd say are a completely different thing and one 270'ing out of front nose 'the hard way' (or out of back nose the easy way) probably has more to do with than just a straight dismount.

Well put. Good tips in there, I can visualize exactly what you mean. I definitely stand right over the nose when I try to hold them.

Going on a work trip for a few weeks, definitely going to work on this when I get home.

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #448 on: January 30, 2021, 09:11:00 PM »
Yeah that actually makes total sense, I really only brought nollie fs 180s into the discussion since the "dismount" motion is a little similar (in the direction of the rotation starting with pressure off the nose, at least) when popped out, which is my eventual goal. Whenever I try "the pose" I slip out, but I think that just means I need to commit and put down the dismount on some short ones, then learn to hold it longer.

TKsGrillz

• Rep: -2
« Reply #449 on: January 31, 2021, 11:58:49 AM »
backside panel skid caveman out on the box i built yesterday lol.
long story short i built a grind box and ended up finding a metal lined cabinet panel from the last ppl that lived at the house i live at must have left.
i only went for it  one session for it is too cold today... but this week its mine