Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47994 times)

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #450 on: February 03, 2021, 04:28:31 AM »
Ive broken 3 decks trying to kickflip off stuff. Everytime i get it my back foot lands on the tail and the board either cracks or snaps.

How do i get my back foot further forward? Or avoid the deck from getting ahead of me?

I need some help because this is getting expensive!

Edit: or as my mate suggested, i need a board with bigger WB? Current board is 14.25 and I’m 6’3”

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #451 on: February 03, 2021, 04:44:29 AM »
Ive broken 3 decks trying to kickflip off stuff. Everytime i get it my back foot lands on the tail and the board either cracks or snaps.

How do i get my back foot further forward? Or avoid the deck from getting ahead of me?

I need some help because this is getting expensive!

Edit: or as my mate suggested, i need a board with bigger WB? Current board is 14.25 and I’m 6’3”

I'm 6'4 and skate 14.25 I don't think that's your issue. What's your skill level like in general? If you can land bolts on flatground kickflips you are most likely capable of doing it. You could be flicking your board ahead of you, or leaning back slightly too much. If you land rigid also that's going to be more force than if you bend with the landing.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #452 on: February 04, 2021, 10:59:38 AM »
Trying to learn to not be super precious with new boards. Every time I set a new deck up, I kind of hold back because I don't want to chip it up or anything. Makes skating less fun, but when I fuck up a new board I always feel guilty about it. Over the past 5 years it has gotten increasingly worse.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #453 on: February 04, 2021, 11:19:22 AM »
Trying to learn to not be super precious with new boards. Every time I set a new deck up, I kind of hold back because I don't want to chip it up or anything. Makes skating less fun, but when I fuck up a new board I always feel guilty about it. Over the past 5 years it has gotten increasingly worse.

I'm the exact same with new decks, I've said it on here before but basically my skating will adapt to the state of the deck I'm on, if it's brand new I'll tend to stay away from crusty spots and stuff like grate gaps where you can easily jam your nose and instead prefer to skate some cleaner stuff and do more basic tricks but (ideally) popped and fast. Whereas once the deck is damaged, I no longer give a shit and thus will actually go out of my way to skate the rough spots I had been avoiding thus far, and do more tricks that wear decks down real quick like impossibles or pressure flips, since due to the lack of crispy pop the basic stuff temporarily no longer feels as fun. It's something I've learned to embrace though and now I like both 'styles' equally, if anything when my deck is thrashed I'll sort of treat that as an excuse to just go wilder with it and in the end gear usually lasts me a long ass time. Beat up boards have charm on footage too, or so I find; although that seems to be a thing people either love or hate.

I do get self-conscious about not replacing gear nearly as often as I really should a lot too, though. But on a worn out deck I'll miss the pop and on a brand new one I'll miss the carefree aspect. So in the end I don't think it's really worth overthinking, but it's quite interesting to me how some skaters can independently develop the same 'savy' approach, especially when they used to struggle with gear when they were younger I guess when in reality it's accessible everywhere now and shouldn't be that hard to acquire as a grown-up adult.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #454 on: February 04, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm the exact same with new decks, I've said it on here before but basically my skating will adapt to the state of the deck I'm on, if it's brand new I'll tend to stay away from crusty spots and stuff like grate gaps where you can easily jam your nose and instead prefer to skate some cleaner stuff and do more basic tricks but (ideally) popped and fast. Whereas once the deck is damaged, I no longer give a shit and thus will actually go out of my way to skate the rough spots I had been avoiding thus far, and do more tricks that wear decks down real quick like impossibles or pressure flips, since due to the lack of crispy pop the basic stuff temporarily no longer feels as fun. It's something I've learned to embrace though and now I like both 'styles' equally, if anything when my deck is thrashed I'll sort of treat that as an excuse to just go wilder with it and in the end gear usually lasts me a long ass time. Beat up boards have charm on footage too, or so I find; although that seems to be a thing people either love or hate.

I do get self-conscious about not replacing gear nearly as often as I really should a lot too, though. But on a worn out deck I'll miss the pop and on a brand new one I'll miss the carefree aspect. So in the end I don't think it's really worth overthinking, but it's quite interesting to me how some skaters can independently develop the same 'savy' approach, especially when they used to struggle with gear when they were younger I guess when in reality it's accessible everywhere now and shouldn't be that hard to acquire as a grown-up adult.

Yeah, when I was younger and had less disposable income, I wasn't precious at all and wouldn't hesitate to skate a board however, chip it up or give it away. But it is cool hearing that I am not the only one with this kind of an approach.

I found a dry patch of ground and was skating on my lunch break, accidentally slipped out launched my board into the snow a few times and didn't get to bummed about it. So that feels like progress.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #455 on: February 04, 2021, 12:24:31 PM »
I've been working on backside flips a lot lately. It's a trick I've always been able to do, but I never really do it how I want to. On hips I can do them well cuz they feel more like a kickflip to fakie, but on flat I feel like I always just whiff them around and land it. I either get ghost pop or rocket the board, and even if I land it I just don't feel very good. Any advice?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #456 on: February 04, 2021, 12:44:23 PM »
Yeah, when I was younger and had less disposable income, I wasn't precious at all and wouldn't hesitate to skate a board however, chip it up or give it away. But it is cool hearing that I am not the only one with this kind of an approach.

I found a dry patch of ground and was skating on my lunch break, accidentally slipped out launched my board into the snow a few times and didn't get to bummed about it. So that feels like progress.

No yeah I've seen a couple of posters mention similar habits too, but it's interesting how you weren't always like that. Growing up I basically had to make do with a deck per year, two tops and so every little chip counted, to this day that may be part of why I dislike brands that don't even try at quality - surely skateboarding is hot shit now with the mall crowds and casuals so most think they can afford to slip in that department, but in reality there still are (and always) will be those kids who struggle all the while skating their hearts out and in that position, investing into a new deck shouldn't be a gamble.

I kinda did the same today skating a plaza with rough cobblestones, walls and glorified curbs in your typical wet winter weather (it's been raining for two months straight here, with that and the 6 pm curfew for Covid skating has become way harder so every little window of opportunity counts), but that's because my current set-up is all kinds of fucked, I basically should have retired everything on it months ago. But every new damp day kind of confirms that had I done that, I would only have wasted a deck or two (or bearings, too) instead of just staying on the same old beat up one. I even kind of wonder if on a brand new set-up I would have even skated in such conditions, at least as far as a first session on it goes.

Also one of the first things I ever heard as a kid starting out skating that really stuck with me was some skater talking about another one and saying it was funny how he was being so precious with his deck, it felt like his girlfriend; it was really just a random remark, but it kind of made me aware of how one could actually feel a connection and really nurture a kind of relationship with their set-up.

I've been working on backside flips a lot lately. It's a trick I've always been able to do, but I never really do it how I want to. On hips I can do them well cuz they feel more like a kickflip to fakie, but on flat I feel like I always just whiff them around and land it. I either get ghost pop or rocket the board, and even if I land it I just don't feel very good. Any advice?

Sounds like you need to find your flick, for backside flips I feel like you have to slide your front foot through the nose even further diagonally toe-side than you would do on straight kickflips (where you also flick through the nose but along the bolts), picture a varial kickflip kind of flick but late, after your board gets off the ground from the ollie and your shoulders should be leading the turn instead of remaining square (they should be ahead of you the whole time). Back foot placement is important to get the right rebound and then friction of the concave against the front foot, too, mine feels close enough to a normal kickflip that I don't really think about it but I do feel like it matters, when I first learned flatground backside flips I was doing them the way you describe them too and then for some reason tried changing my technique for what would feel like kickflip late backside 180's, and that's what sort of ending up working out for me. Now I have better form on those but the technique is so different I lost a bit of consistency, also every time I miss one on flat it always results in the worst shinner and so I mostly just do them on banks now where they're so much easier (also to level out). Maybe learning the kind of halfcab flip that looks like it folds over will help, too, it's good practice, fun and easier.

(tl;dr - try focusing a bit more on getting an actual ollie that's leveling out, before you really flick, all the while turning)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:57:48 PM by silhouette »

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #457 on: February 04, 2021, 02:17:31 PM »
My approach so far this year has been trying to find ways to stay low impact and keep learning new stuff. Lots of spins out of grinds/slides on mellow ledges (but not wack shit like a fs 180 out of a fs 5050) and learning the basics of skating switch. I got a few little switch backslide slappy noseslides earlier today which still has me beaming from ear to ear.

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #458 on: February 04, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »
Kickflips. When I was a teen and 50lbs lighter i felt so comfortable with them. Now Im over 6 feet tall,  they feel awk, and im heavier so they take much more energy then tre flips. Somehow tres are so much easier now, boy have things changed.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #459 on: February 04, 2021, 06:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No yeah I've seen a couple of posters mention similar habits too, but it's interesting how you weren't always like that. Growing up I basically had to make do with a deck per year, two tops and so every little chip counted, to this day that may be part of why I dislike brands that don't even try at quality - surely skateboarding is hot shit now with the mall crowds and casuals so most think they can afford to slip in that department, but in reality there still are (and always) will be those kids who struggle all the while skating their hearts out and in that position, investing into a new deck shouldn't be a gamble.

I kinda did the same today skating a plaza with rough cobblestones, walls and glorified curbs in your typical wet winter weather (it's been raining for two months straight here, with that and the 6 pm curfew for Covid skating has become way harder so every little window of opportunity counts), but that's because my current set-up is all kinds of fucked, I basically should have retired everything on it months ago. But every new damp day kind of confirms that had I done that, I would only have wasted a deck or two (or bearings, too) instead of just staying on the same old beat up one. I even kind of wonder if on a brand new set-up I would have even skated in such conditions, at least as far as a first session on it goes.

Also one of the first things I ever heard as a kid starting out skating that really stuck with me was some skater talking about another one and saying it was funny how he was being so precious with his deck, it felt like his girlfriend; it was really just a random remark, but it kind of made me aware of how one could actually feel a connection and really nurture a kind of relationship with their set-up.

Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds like you need to find your flick, for backside flips I feel like you have to slide your front foot through the nose even further diagonally toe-side than you would do on straight kickflips (where you also flick through the nose but along the bolts), picture a varial kickflip kind of flick but late, after your board gets off the ground from the ollie and your shoulders should be leading the turn instead of remaining square (they should be ahead of you the whole time). Back foot placement is important to get the right rebound and then friction of the concave against the front foot, too, mine feels close enough to a normal kickflip that I don't really think about it but I do feel like it matters, when I first learned flatground backside flips I was doing them the way you describe them too and then for some reason tried changing my technique for what would feel like kickflip late backside 180's, and that's what sort of ending up working out for me. Now I have better form on those but the technique is so different I lost a bit of consistency, also every time I miss one on flat it always results in the worst shinner and so I mostly just do them on banks now where they're so much easier (also to level out). Maybe learning the kind of halfcab flip that looks like it folds over will help, too, it's good practice, fun and easier.

(tl;dr - try focusing a bit more on getting an actual ollie that's leveling out, before you really flick, all the while turning)

Got a tech boner just reading that breakdown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oBs-qwbuSM
Only landed my first one last year after a decade of trying them, what really helped for me was getting the right amount of scoop on my back foot; making it less of a BS 180 with a kickflip but more varial flip like. Thinking of it as a rubber band and apply pressure at the correct spots as Ben Degros mentions was helpful, but my consistency on that trick is piss-poor.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #460 on: February 05, 2021, 06:47:06 AM »
My approach so far this year has been trying to find ways to stay low impact and keep learning new stuff. Lots of spins out of grinds/slides on mellow ledges (but not wack shit like a fs 180 out of a fs 5050) and learning the basics of skating switch. I got a few little switch backslide slappy noseslides earlier today which still has me beaming from ear to ear.

That is THE feeling. Not even the first real make but when you realize you're juuuust about to get there.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2021, 06:54:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Okay I tried a few with this mentality and it certainly helped. My rotation was slower but I was popping and catching it similar enough to how I do kickflips which is closer to how I wanna be. Thanks!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2021, 10:01:27 AM »
My pleasure, and yeah that mentality seems like a good starting point, in a sense it's tempting to think of that trick as a backside 180 combined with a kickflip (since technically that's what it is) but if you do that you usually end up with too much scoop and that results in the varial kickflip body varial look (which is basically what my backside flips looked like as a kid and isn't necessarily bad I guess, in my head I thought I was doing them Video Days Jason Lee style, in reality and on footage not so much). Whereas if you're trying to catch them then turn, they feel so different they're better thought as some one-off trick of their own. Slower rotation definitely happens with that technique but it's just a matter of adjusting your foot positioning to get a straight pop with the right rebound and then it's really your shoulders that lead the way, while your front foot levels out the board and then extends through it to help guide it around, which is exactly how you get the fold and how some people turn varial flips into 'forward flips' (don't ask me why). In the end as you get familiar, you'll probably find yourself doing them that way and flick in a way that barely feels like you're doing a kickflip and a rotation and more like something that happens at the peak of the trick if that makes sense. Ben Gore's backside ollies and backside flips are a good example to visualize, I tend to picture his technique a lot when I do those tricks. Also to me, this is one of those tricks that work differently with every new deck or change in wheelbase, so your results may vary depending your current set-up every time (which is why they're so inconsistent for me, on some decks they're easy, on some others I don't change a thing yet I guess I still miss the flick by a hair and that's how I get the shinners).

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2021, 08:27:39 PM »
I'm trying to get bs flips down too and I felt a little closer to them thinking of the kf first and the 180 turn late. I've stuck a few in my day but always rolling away at a snail's pace.

I have been really itching to skate a quarterpipe and get bs tail stalls like this one right here. I can pop into them but I've never gone way above the coping like that, it looks like it feels fantastic.

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2021, 10:44:10 PM »
Tomorrow I'm working on sw front 3 on flat. I can do them on banks and stuff.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #465 on: February 06, 2021, 12:25:24 AM »
Since I have F4 Spits,  I wanna spend some time practicing backside power slides like the SF dudes do.

I'm also trying to relearn FS Tail Slides and then do them better than I used to. Tail slides are fucking scary to slide for me, though. I never feel comfortable sliding them. Pointers are appreciated, even if it's a "go faster, pussy" thing haha!

Switch backside flips like Walker Ryan  8)
Super Champion Fun Zone

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #466 on: February 06, 2021, 07:12:52 AM »
My pleasure, and yeah that mentality seems like a good starting point, in a sense it's tempting to think of that trick as a backside 180 combined with a kickflip (since technically that's what it is) but if you do that you usually end up with too much scoop and that results in the varial kickflip body varial look (which is basically what my backside flips looked like as a kid and isn't necessarily bad I guess, in my head I thought I was doing them Video Days Jason Lee style, in reality and on footage not so much). Whereas if you're trying to catch them then turn, they feel so different they're better thought as some one-off trick of their own. Slower rotation definitely happens with that technique but it's just a matter of adjusting your foot positioning to get a straight pop with the right rebound and then it's really your shoulders that lead the way, while your front foot levels out the board and then extends through it to help guide it around, which is exactly how you get the fold and how some people turn varial flips into 'forward flips' (don't ask me why). In the end as you get familiar, you'll probably find yourself doing them that way and flick in a way that barely feels like you're doing a kickflip and a rotation and more like something that happens at the peak of the trick if that makes sense. Ben Gore's backside ollies and backside flips are a good example to visualize, I tend to picture his technique a lot when I do those tricks. Also to me, this is one of those tricks that work differently with every new deck or change in wheelbase, so your results may vary depending your current set-up every time (which is why they're so inconsistent for me, on some decks they're easy, on some others I don't change a thing yet I guess I still miss the flick by a hair and that's how I get the shinners).

Landed my first proper once thanks to your trick tip. Managed to get the tension (from the scoop) and release (from the flick) just right, caught mid air and rotated the rest for a perfect landing. Thanks!

I'm also trying to relearn FS Tail Slides and then do them better than I used to. Tail slides are fucking scary to slide for me, though. I never feel comfortable sliding them. Pointers are appreciated, even if it's a "go faster, pussy" thing haha!

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113366.0

Just re-learned them last year thanks to this thread.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #467 on: February 06, 2021, 11:45:20 AM »
Thank you, Rocklobster !  Will check that thread out!  :)
Super Champion Fun Zone

ssNB462

• Rep: -2
« Reply #468 on: February 09, 2021, 09:49:41 AM »
Sw Treflips. Landed like 2 ever. I one foot them alot
Boardfeel is a myth
Come back Adio, we miss you

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: February 15, 2021, 11:47:48 PM »
Was messing around with BS Tailslides on a tall ledge and accidently locked into a few pinched BS Smith grinds, which is another bucket list trick for me. They feel weird on a low ledge because I always feel like I would pop too high, but on the taller ledge the pinch and dip was perfect. Definitely going to give them another go this weekend, though building up the nerve to may take an hour and all my mental stamina.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #470 on: February 16, 2021, 09:09:10 PM »
I'm figuring out bs nose wallies or whatever you'd call em. Right now im doing them at like 45 degree angle, just trying to get as high as I can, push off my nose off the wall and land flat. Ican get my board up the wall everytime but popping and not landing primo is like every 10 tries. Back to the drawing board
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #471 on: February 17, 2021, 02:29:13 PM »
Happy to report I got a few BS Smiths on my concrete ledge today. They weren’t pretty but still pulled 3. The tip of “placing the trucks” on definitely helped as apposed to almost bashing them in. That and lean back find that right lock in point. My goal is to do one a session, hopefully it won’t be my whole session like it was today haha.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #472 on: February 18, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Fs blunt on ledges after that I’ll learn shuv out
[close]
this is as close as I’m getting for now.
Im getting closer to doing a legit one
https://imgur.com/0GnQUxv

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #473 on: February 19, 2021, 06:58:30 PM »
Nollie flips, have no trouble flipping them but can't seem to jump over it to catch them. Been meaning to try doing one out of a quarter and seeing if that helps.

Other than that trying to build up the confidence to commit to a nollie front shuv out of a bs nosepick on transition

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #474 on: February 19, 2021, 07:26:07 PM »
Nollie flips, have no trouble flipping them but can't seem to jump over it to catch them. Been meaning to try doing one out of a quarter and seeing if that helps.

Other than that trying to build up the confidence to commit to a nollie front shuv out of a bs nosepick on transition

Try to fully flick and jump properly and land upside down, its better than fully flipping and not jumping over it. Switch flips came easier for me, maybe they will for you too.

This probably won't work for most people, but I actually landed a few nollie frontside flips before nollie flips, felt like the turn gave me more room to flick and helped me work up to flicking a straight nollie flip properly. Obviously nollie flips are way easier now but I think it helped a bit.

Lunker

• Rep: 4
« Reply #475 on: February 19, 2021, 07:26:37 PM »
Is it easier to learn a trick switch or nollie? I want switch/nollie heels but don't know which way would be faster to learn the motion.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: February 19, 2021, 10:44:31 PM »
Switch heel is easier I think....

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #477 on: February 20, 2021, 09:18:35 AM »
Been working on fakie bigflips for the last couple days, landed my first one today.

I've had fakie BS bigspins and kickflips for a while, and had been meaning to try these... actually came a bit easier than I expected.

Deffo need to clean them up but I'm pretty stoked...I'm hoping it helps to unlock fakie tres, but my body keeps wanting to go with the rotation on those.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: February 20, 2021, 09:48:26 AM »
Been working on fakie bigflips for the last couple days, landed my first one today.

I've had fakie BS bigspins and kickflips for a while, and had been meaning to try these... actually came a bit easier than I expected.

Deffo need to clean them up but I'm pretty stoked...I'm hoping it helps to unlock fakie tres, but my body keeps wanting to go with the rotation on those.

Fakie big flip is a fun one, I neglected it for a while before realizing how cool that trick could actually feel (partly thanks to how PJ would make them look), these days I find myself doing them more. The way they work sort of feels like you're halfcabbing into a varial flip, whereas fakie 360 flip feels a lot more like a fakie 360 shove it with an extra flick, maybe thinking of them as such instead of as fakie big flip with no body turn will help you stay in control. Forming the flip I guess is sort of the same but the upper body action feels completely different (in fact for an ideal fakie 360 flip, before popping you're literally facing backwards).

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #479 on: February 20, 2021, 10:21:11 AM »
Food for thought, I need to get fakie 3 shuvs down as well which would help for the fakie tres.

I can do nollie 3 shuvs no bother at all so need to try and mirror that technique in my head.