Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47965 times)

Ty evans hanes tee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -3
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #540 on: April 13, 2021, 09:58:57 AM »
Anyone have any tips on how to properly do bs 360's?

Commit breh haha

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #541 on: April 13, 2021, 10:14:01 AM »
Anything/Everything mini-ramp. At age 44 I feel like I may have waited too long.
ok thanks

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #542 on: April 13, 2021, 12:51:13 PM »
@bigdave - watch out for hippers - f'in kills.

Trying to Hardflip, dams its hard! (no pun intended)

And trying to resurrect my f/s varial heels.  Got closer other day using the tail - usually use the nose. Might be on to something.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #543 on: April 13, 2021, 12:53:14 PM »
@bigdave - watch out for hippers - f'in kills.

Literally wearing hockey pants while learning hard tricks.
ok thanks

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #544 on: April 13, 2021, 10:46:53 PM »
Trying to Hardflip, dams its hard! (no pun intended)

Like I was just saying about inward heels, I figured out a trick that really works for me for hardflips just recently and it's to focus on what the back foot does. I usually nest it in a 360 flip type of position with the big toe on the toe-side pocket of the tail, front foot goes near the center of the board at a 45 degree angle with some of the heel hanging off (its position in the concave should feel right for you to use the tension and go for the flip as soon as you pop). So it's really comparable to a 360 flip position altogether - except with your shoulders a bit more open perhaps, to compensate for the direction of the flick being different - but then instead of sending your board backside/vertical, you aim for a mostly vertical/slightly frontside straight ollie kind of pop off the big toe where the rebound of the pocket of the tail against the ground has the side effect of your front foot sticking to the heel-side of the concave as you drag the board up. And then you add what really feels like a lateral flick; the flick on hardflips I find is nothing alike the one of kickflips or 360 flips where you're mostly kicking in front of you and through the nose, here you sort of have to make the conscious effort to send your leg almost straight to the side - once you feel the resistance of the concave against your toes as the board is going up, you really pretty much swipe through the flip. It should be a pretty early and explosive motion too, if you wait for the apex of the ollie to flick it's not going to work because by then you'll have wasted most of the tension you had been building up on the pocket of the tail and so you'll get exponentially less effective flips.

Weight distribution I feel is very unusual for this trick too (which is probably why a lot of people can find it awkward to do in general, or some straight up specialize in it once they've figured it out because it's so unique), when I do it it feels like I'm sitting pretty far back over the back bolts (upper body wide open, facing where I'm going) and then throughout the trick I actually don't really move all that much since the pop and jump are mostly vertical movement, with the exception of the lateral swipe of a flick that you've got to throw in early and compensate for by slightly strafing to the side if needed at first.

sbmfj

« Reply #545 on: April 14, 2021, 07:57:54 AM »
@silhouette, thanks for the in detail analysis and explanation. Seems pretty spot on. Will try and apply some of that tonight if I make it out.

I watched a few you tube vids on it too. Gonna focus on the front foot side flick as youve mentioned. The Skate Hacks You tube vid was alright. The guy had some decent hardflips.

I find whenI do them now, or try to do them, the board pops up kinda high so I really gotta jump. Ill try and lay off the back foot a bit, to damper the pop, and strive for more of a side flick via front foot to get it to flip n turn. Sometimes I land, but board aint straight, kinda lands at 45 degrees.

And hopefully I can get those f/s varial heels too.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #546 on: April 14, 2021, 08:27:46 AM »
Working on BS Lipslides on a low ledge, the rails at my local part are either too short (4ft) or too tall for me to feel comfortable trying a new trick on. Managed to slide a very short distance and flop off the edge. I attribute this to popping too hard and getting too high above the ledge, so I slam in hard and lose all my speed. A buddy of mine who was working on the same trick managed to get some nice locked in ones with his front truck almost flush against the side of the angle iron.

Landed 2 today after the trick has eluded me for close to 20 years. Speed, not popping too high and thinking of it as a BS 50-50 while slotting your back foot into the rotation. The more I committed to getting on and sliding, the easier it became. Shalom.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #547 on: April 14, 2021, 08:52:50 AM »
@sbmfj my pleasure, I remember when I was a kid that trick and regular stance frontside flips were a complete nightmare to figure out, at least now there's all the info you need (and then some) online indeed.

I think this trick is supposed to pop kind of high actually, in fact the pop is so vertical for a split second (even on horizontal hardflips that end up looking like frontside varial kickflips - mine are like that), it's one of the rare tricks where I'll put most of my energy into it, the pop. Like, I'll make sure my foot positioning is correct and secure with the front foot where it needs to be to be ready to react (to be accurate, what works for me is to have the toes on my front foot in the very center of the board for this one), and then when I do pop it's straight down and hard, having your back foot in the pocket is what will cause the start of the f/s shove-it rotation and then also your front foot dragging the board over to the side - I'd say it briefly acts like a guide before you get to just brush off the concave with that lateral ankle flick. You have to jump but your movement doesn't have to take effort as long as it's accurate (that applies to all of skating to be honest), hence why the flick sort of feels like a light side step, and the whole trick (at least the horizontal way) almost feels like you're flinging it ahead of you before it comes back around and you can easily catch it, so if anything the worst thing you can do is hunching over your nose. I'd say maybe adjust your back foot positioning to figure out the sweetest spot on the corner of the tail that will allow you to get the full spin right even if that causes you to miss the flip and catch the board upside down, and then your front foot accordingly so that it directly reacts to the pop and does what it's supposed to once you flick off the side. If you're underrotating them then it sounds like the problem is in your pop, there's probably a way you could optimize your effort by really finding that sweet spot, and make sure your shoulders remain open too (you shouldn't throw them around like for a frontside flip is all, just face forward the whole time).

For varial heels I just gave some tips to Skatebeard earlier, that trick is a lot less awkward than hardflips, again it's all in the right foot positioning, you build tension in the pocket of the tail (heel-side this time), you pop a normal frontside pop shove-it this time with your shoulders always aligned and parallel with the board (don't turn your shoulders) and you kick out, extending your leg that way is a lot more natural than the opposite way for a hardflip. Angled front foot tip I gave Skatebeard still applies. In both cases though, focus on the pop/rotation/catch and then getting the full flip sort of comes second, I'm sure you'll get both in no time.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #548 on: April 15, 2021, 12:20:07 AM »
Anything/Everything mini-ramp. At age 44 I feel like I may have waited too long.

Lots of kickturning and pumping to get the feel.
FS grinds are the old-man slappies of transition
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #549 on: April 24, 2021, 06:23:17 AM »
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

WoodRat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #550 on: April 24, 2021, 07:52:04 AM »
Nose manuals

Frank and Fred

« Reply #551 on: April 24, 2021, 08:31:25 AM »
Back tails on  transition. My back tails stalls have become more consistent and I've slid a few tiny ones. Feels so damn good. I have to learn them.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #552 on: April 25, 2021, 02:41:55 PM »
I can’t take not knowing what bs tails feel like anymore. Gonna build myself a box and spend the next year figuring it out. There are 0 good ledge spots in my town, and none at the local skatepark so my ledge game has been neglected while living in this state. I have to drive kinda far to a really nice skatepark a few towns over. Was there today and saw this dude bs tail a waist high ledge over a little gap. Was jaw dropping, and dude was so casual about it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #553 on: April 25, 2021, 06:33:12 PM »
I can’t take not knowing what bs tails feel like anymore. Gonna build myself a box and spend the next year figuring it out. There are 0 good ledge spots in my town, and none at the local skatepark so my ledge game has been neglected while living in this state. I have to drive kinda far to a really nice skatepark a few towns over. Was there today and saw this dude bs tail a waist high ledge over a little gap. Was jaw dropping, and dude was so casual about it.

Get your ass over here:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=113553.msg3550252;boardseen#new
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #554 on: April 26, 2021, 11:47:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Working on BS Lipslides on a low ledge, the rails at my local part are either too short (4ft) or too tall for me to feel comfortable trying a new trick on. Managed to slide a very short distance and flop off the edge. I attribute this to popping too hard and getting too high above the ledge, so I slam in hard and lose all my speed. A buddy of mine who was working on the same trick managed to get some nice locked in ones with his front truck almost flush against the side of the angle iron.
[close]

Landed 2 today after the trick has eluded me for close to 20 years. Speed, not popping too high and thinking of it as a BS 50-50 while slotting your back foot into the rotation. The more I committed to getting on and sliding, the easier it became. Shalom.

One of my favorite tricks, I don’t do them much lately as I have developed a bit of a fobia of waxing the top of the ledge. Great for lipslides but makes everything else dangerous. I tried them on my last session without waxing, just tried to lean more on my front foot and slid a few but never rolled away.

The way you described how your doing it is pretty much how I do them, it’s a late rotation, slow and fluid. Love going fast and doing some long one on a good ledge or curb. Hardest part for me is landing with my back foot in the middle of the tail instead of the pocket, board always wants to flip when I do that. Need to get more consistent at popping out in the middle.

Space Monkey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #555 on: April 26, 2021, 01:10:40 PM »
I've been pushing myself more onto ledges recently and actually surprised myself with front 5050 front shuv out and front 180 out.
That being said, I can't for the life of me get onto backside 5050s- I have been getting stuck in bs crooks which just get stuck on the ledge.
Also trying to get slides to actually slide. I get the sad pivot/stall on the ledge when doing them.

loftie.1

• Rep: 3
« Reply #556 on: May 13, 2021, 07:12:24 PM »
putting my flats into curb grinds. I managed to land a nollie big spin front side tail slappy on a crusty curb. felt cute.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #557 on: May 13, 2021, 08:09:20 PM »
I've been pushing myself more onto ledges recently and actually surprised myself with front 5050 front shuv out and front 180 out.
That being said, I can't for the life of me get onto backside 5050s- I have been getting stuck in bs crooks which just get stuck on the ledge.
Also trying to get slides to actually slide. I get the sad pivot/stall on the ledge when doing them.

https://youtu.be/7bNGV2Mgx8k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGmF1l0X3I&t=20s

All in the shoulders, if you're getting into crooks, its a matter of dragging your board to level your ollie and slapping that back truck in. Front foot guide the nose of the deck into the ledge, the back foot slots the back truck in for the rest of the ride.

Start with a slight angle and gradually reduce it the more comfortable you get with it.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sbmfj

« Reply #558 on: May 14, 2021, 07:29:15 AM »
Crazy how important shoulders are in all of this. Silhouette helped me with hardflips, and it was mostly my shoulders. Been messing around with noseslides to krooks on ledges, and again all in the shouders.

A Locals at the spot broke it down quite well other day (for the noseslide to krooks) - Front shoulder should move down while the back shoulder moves up. add in a bit of a body 'twist' and youll kinda pop into the the Krooked from the noseslide.

Gonna try to re-attempts bs 360 ollies with the scoop, and more open shoulders. Id love to get the elusive back three, but I dunno.

Other day saw this kid at the spot, he was ok, having a a bit of a hard time on ledges and rocket kickflips, but boom, the nicest back 3's. So envious.

coneklr

« Reply #559 on: May 14, 2021, 11:23:11 AM »
How to heal fucked up discs

Space Monkey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #560 on: May 14, 2021, 11:32:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All in the shoulders, if you're getting into crooks, its a matter of dragging your board to level your ollie and slapping that back truck in. Front foot guide the nose of the deck into the ledge, the back foot slots the back truck in for the rest of the ride.

Start with a slight angle and gradually reduce it the more comfortable you get with it.
I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Desk work + bad posture has fucked my shoulder, so I could see it making these harder.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #561 on: May 14, 2021, 02:21:53 PM »

I'm there with you. Only I'm 35.

Dropping in — even on 3-ft — is still a big fucking scare to me.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #562 on: May 14, 2021, 03:44:51 PM »
Cab fakie manny

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #563 on: May 15, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »
Spent years thinking backside 360s just weren’t possible for my body type, or I had missed the critical period in my childhood when my brain was more moldable to new techniques and information. I had tried everything up to that point to learn the scoop method to no success. I kinda learned them the pivot way but it looked absolutely disgusting and I felt even grosser doing them so I lost it really quickly.
  A long while later I realized I could naturally do the scoop method on switch backside 3s so it re ignited a fire in me to learn it regular. Still struggled until I watched a little kid do one down a double set on a pros insta story the other day. Immediately something clicked and I could scoop them perfectly full rotation. Now I’m just trying to commit to landing on the board everytime. I feel like Bobby D it’s great

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #564 on: May 16, 2021, 07:00:39 PM »
do u guys just go out and just skate flat sometimes?

I try to skate flat but its like 15 minutes of not landing shit and I feel done. I mostly skate this ledge I built near my house so I can do some shit on a ledge and I'll throw in some of my go-to flatground before/after, but to this day i get embarrassed in games of skate against kids who can barely 5050.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: May 16, 2021, 07:14:34 PM »
do u guys just go out and just skate flat sometimes?

I try to skate flat but its like 15 minutes of not landing shit and I feel done. I mostly skate this ledge I built near my house so I can do some shit on a ledge and I'll throw in some of my go-to flatground before/after, but to this day i get embarrassed in games of skate against kids who can barely 5050.

Are you me? I've got a decent ledge game, most of the basics. But I get wrecked at flatground, all my patience is channeled into ledge / rail and I have nothing left for flatground. Last week I blamed my shoes (vulc to cupsole), next week I'll blame my trucks.

But COVID lockdowns are picking up in my country, so flatground may be the only thing I have left to skate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #566 on: May 16, 2021, 09:27:59 PM »
Half cab flips, and trying to get Tre flips more on lock. I also want bs heelflips real bad, and always get so close to.  I've been playing around too much on different sized set ups tho.

I honestly need to work on my grind game too. Gonna try to learn smiths and lips this summer. At least those two. Hopefully more.

I just started skating regularly a year ago after a long hiatus so, while I can't do all the tricks, I'm stoked at where I'm at right now.
The chillest1

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: May 17, 2021, 11:57:15 PM »
Half cab flips, and trying to get Tre flips more on lock. I also want bs heelflips real bad, and always get so close to.  I've been playing around too much on different sized set ups tho.

I honestly need to work on my grind game too. Gonna try to learn smiths and lips this summer. At least those two. Hopefully more.

I just started skating regularly a year ago after a long hiatus so, while I can't do all the tricks, I'm stoked at where I'm at right now.

Backside heelflip becomes dead easy (and really fun) once you figure out the secret, before you pop your torso has to be facing 45 degrees backwards as if in line with the hardware on your back truck diagonally, if you can picture a X connecting your bolts. Then when you pop you instantly turn the rest of your body too and just extend your leg as if you wanted to kick through the board during the motion and through that axis. Foot positioning is also important but not too subtle, personally for mine I angle both feet inwards compared to a straight heelflip where they would be perpendicular to board length, front foot rests with the heel in the concave and toes hanging off and back foot goes toe on the tip and center of the tail, you pop off the big toe in a way that your front foot positioning will react to. Regardless of technique and form, this trick typically feels like you literally just flop over (and into fakie stance), more so than most flip tricks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 03:49:46 AM by silhouette »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #568 on: May 18, 2021, 08:52:50 AM »
switch flip and switch heel. got my switch ollies finally looking decent where im happy with it and the back foot is staying on the board and i am getting good % of my height.

on my sw flip/heel i either dont pop hard enough and the flip goes well, or i pop well and the flip only 1/2 flips. just trying to replicate the timing i do regular flips its just hard to process "automatically" i have to think about it a lot harder
ONTARIO CANADA

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #569 on: May 25, 2021, 10:52:10 AM »
Been randomly throwing out nollie big spins (both ways) but haven't landed a decent one yet. It seems hard to get a decent pop and keep it under me at the same time :/