Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47934 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Half cab flips, and trying to get Tre flips more on lock. I also want bs heelflips real bad, and always get so close to.  I've been playing around too much on different sized set ups tho.

I honestly need to work on my grind game too. Gonna try to learn smiths and lips this summer. At least those two. Hopefully more.

I just started skating regularly a year ago after a long hiatus so, while I can't do all the tricks, I'm stoked at where I'm at right now.
[close]

Backside heelflip becomes dead easy (and really fun) once you figure out the secret, before you pop your torso has to be facing 45 degrees backwards as if in line with the hardware on your back truck diagonally, if you can picture a X connecting your bolts. Then when you pop you instantly turn the rest of your body too and just extend your leg as if you wanted to kick through the board during the motion and through that axis. Foot positioning is also important but not too subtle, personally for mine I angle both feet inwards compared to a straight heelflip where they would be perpendicular to board length, front foot rests with the heel in the concave and toes hanging off and back foot goes toe on the tip and center of the tail, you pop off the big toe in a way that your front foot positioning will react to. Regardless of technique and form, this trick typically feels like you literally just flop over (and into fakie stance), more so than most flip tricks.

Thank you so much @silhouette !! Gonna land one this week!
The chillest1

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #571 on: May 25, 2021, 10:18:35 PM »
Front blunt on tall rail, I could do them on a shorter round bar but that was shin high. This one is just under knee height and fairly short at 6ft. Either I don't pop up high enough to lock my back truck, or I get up and over and my tail just grazes the rail instead of locking. Thinking about going way slower to focus on getting a solid lock first.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #572 on: May 26, 2021, 03:51:54 AM »
Still trying to get consistent kickflips, I get them every now and then but I want them every try, or at least every second or third try.  ::)

Also fs noseslides sliding more than just a few millimeters.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

yeahisaidit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #573 on: May 28, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone have any tips on how to properly do bs 360's?
[close]

Commit breh haha

I think of it as a 360 shove where my body jumps and turns 360 at the same time, instead of a backside 360 ollie. Unless you have enough board control and pop to do the back 180 late half cab, makes it more of digestible trick.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #574 on: June 03, 2021, 02:48:59 PM »
I’m learning kickflips. I thought it would be a breeze, watched a lizard king interview where he said he learned them in 2 days so my idiot brain thought I could too. It’s now been 2 months and I haven’t practiced all that much but I’m slowly getting closer to landing them, just need that fucking front foot to get back on, it’s driving me mad.

Been boosting my backside 180’s too, my goal is to do one over a bench by the end of summer (one can only dream...)

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #575 on: June 04, 2021, 01:01:20 PM »
A basic FS 5-0 on your average skatepark height ledge. I think I’m close to getting them but finding it a lil hard to aim a lock-in to the ledge with only your back truck.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #576 on: June 04, 2021, 08:00:43 PM »
Trying to relearn switch crooks, I moved up to a taller box and they are the one trick that didn't come with me

Doodily

• Rep: 5
« Reply #577 on: June 04, 2021, 08:18:05 PM »
180 no-comply. Was re-learning kickflips but I rolled my ankle and was out for a month (body doesn't heal like it did 30 years ago). So these are kind of nice since there isn't a big commitment to landing them. Starting off slowly - stepping off, 180 pop, and hopping back on. Hope to put it all together, nice and flowy, over the next week or so.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: June 05, 2021, 09:58:18 PM »
I’m learning kickflips. I thought it would be a breeze, watched a lizard king interview where he said he learned them in 2 days so my idiot brain thought I could too. It’s now been 2 months and I haven’t practiced all that much but I’m slowly getting closer to landing them, just need that fucking front foot to get back on, it’s driving me mad.

Been boosting my backside 180’s too, my goal is to do one over a bench by the end of summer (one can only dream...)

Well Lizard brains operate differently from human brains, numerous studies have shown.

Working up the nerve to BS 50-50 a flatbar at the park. I recently go BS Feebles back on them, trying to think about it the same way, but getting my front truck up and parallel. Ended up with scraped palm.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #579 on: June 06, 2021, 02:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well Lizard brains operate differently from human brains, numerous studies have shown.

Working up the nerve to BS 50-50 a flatbar at the park. I recently go BS Feebles back on them, trying to think about it the same way, but getting my front truck up and parallel. Ended up with scraped palm.

You reckon feebles are easier than 5050s? I've never tried them

50s are def easier than 50-50 in my opinion
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #580 on: June 06, 2021, 08:49:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The rail at my local is fairly tall, just below knee, and very short, just over 6ft. Need to get out of my head and just pop.

"All you had to do, was to pop the damn tail, rocklobster!"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #581 on: June 07, 2021, 04:25:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
The rail at my local is fairly tall, just below knee, and very short, just over 6ft. Need to get out of my head and just pop.

Any advice for feebles on rails? I just recently did my first round rail bs 50-50's but on a much shorter height rail than yours

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #582 on: June 07, 2021, 08:13:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Any advice for feebles on rails? I just recently did my first round rail bs 50-50's but on a much shorter height rail than yours

BS 50-50s are way more intimidating IMO, but I'll try my best to explain Feebles.

For a start you can roll up fairly slowly to the rail and visualize them like you're landing a crooked board slide, just practice getting into that position for a start. You can already get your front truck up on the rail for BS 50-50s so getting them a little over the rail should be a problem. When you're ready, start rolling a little faster with a slight angle to the rail, you can start around 30 but reducing the angle makes getting the back truck locked in easier down the road.

Like any trick it's about committing so start off with a solid pop. Front foot drags up to rocket the board slightly so you can can over the rail, that's the first part and hence the mention of a crooked board slide. As you ollie up your body and board should up and at a slight angle above the rail. The latter half of the trick is all back foot, remember to get that solid pop and bring it up slightly, sliding it onto the rail. I was struggling with this for a while, always landing in a crooked board slide, that was until I focused on the pop and sucking the back foot up and onto the rail. Shoulders should be pretty parallel with the rail.

Weight should be 85% on the back, 15% on the front.

In terms of exit I don't have much advice, since I go fast and let speed flop me off the edge of the rail. Too much weight on the back during exit has caused the board to flip after coming off the rail and landing primo sucks balls.

If you already have boardslides and 50-50s doing Feebles are a natural progression and easier than BS 50-50 since you need to get both trucks up and on the rail.

On a lower rail it's really important to control the height of your drag and ollie, while not neglecting your back foot since that does the hard work while grinding.

A friend of mind can do them while stationary next to the rail which he swears helped him develop a good pinch, doesn't make sense to me at all.

Makes me wonder if doing FS Feebles borrows the same logic.

I wanted to try BS 50-50s on the rail today but I've been pretty beat up from 3 days in a row.

Pop - front foot drags up and over - back foot slots the back truck into position
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QVxHfAyzi4
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #583 on: June 07, 2021, 09:28:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

BS 50-50s are way more intimidating IMO, but I'll try my best to explain Feebles.

For a start you can roll up fairly slowly to the rail and visualize them like you're landing a crooked board slide, just practice getting into that position for a start. You can already get your front truck up on the rail for BS 50-50s so getting them a little over the rail should be a problem. When you're ready, start rolling a little faster with a slight angle to the rail, you can start around 30 but reducing the angle makes getting the back truck locked in easier down the road.

Like any trick it's about committing so start off with a solid pop. Front foot drags up to rocket the board slightly so you can can over the rail, that's the first part and hence the mention of a crooked board slide. As you ollie up your body and board should up and at a slight angle above the rail. The latter half of the trick is all back foot, remember to get that solid pop and bring it up slightly, sliding it onto the rail. I was struggling with this for a while, always landing in a crooked board slide, that was until I focused on the pop and sucking the back foot up and onto the rail. Shoulders should be pretty parallel with the rail.

Weight should be 85% on the back, 15% on the front.

In terms of exit I don't have much advice, since I go fast and let speed flop me off the edge of the rail. Too much weight on the back during exit has caused the board to flip after coming off the rail and landing primo sucks balls.

If you already have boardslides and 50-50s doing Feebles are a natural progression and easier than BS 50-50 since you need to get both trucks up and on the rail.

On a lower rail it's really important to control the height of your drag and ollie, while not neglecting your back foot since that does the hard work while grinding.

A friend of mind can do them while stationary next to the rail which he swears helped him develop a good pinch, doesn't make sense to me at all.

Makes me wonder if doing FS Feebles borrows the same logic.

I wanted to try BS 50-50s on the rail today but I've been pretty beat up from 3 days in a row.

Pop - front foot drags up and over - back foot slots the back truck into position
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QVxHfAyzi4

Approaching it rocket is something I hadn't though of. So you essentially land and lower the front truck into the feeble? This all sounds like good advice actually I was quite scared of trying feebles but they sound possible.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #584 on: June 07, 2021, 10:07:57 AM »
Yup, slight rocket to clear the front truck and dip down slightly. As you get more confident you rocket less and can plant it down like a boardslide with a slight poke down.

Can't emphasize enough on focusing on the back foot, I have to remind myself to lift it up and shifting my back truck heelside to get the lock. Thinking you're locking in and doing a Crooked board slide is a shit feeling.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #585 on: June 08, 2021, 09:55:06 AM »
I'm coming back off an ankle roll, so i'm taking it back to basics to learn/improve some tricks i've been missing or just straight suck at.

This week i've been working on switch FS pop shuvs, which have gone from downright awful landing one every 5 tries, to landing them more consistently and slightly less crap looking.

Learnt switch FS and BS 180s today, for whatever reason they always eluded me, but something clicked.

Next on the list are regular and switch bigspins both ways, i'm very much a nollie/fakie bigspin guy so expecting a battle with these.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #586 on: June 08, 2021, 11:46:26 AM »
Fs Full Cab Heelflip (no pivot)

I'm so damn close.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #587 on: June 09, 2021, 03:10:29 AM »
I'm coming back off an ankle roll, so i'm taking it back to basics to learn/improve some tricks i've been missing or just straight suck at.

This week i've been working on switch FS pop shuvs, which have gone from downright awful landing one every 5 tries, to landing them more consistently and slightly less crap looking.

Learnt switch FS and BS 180s today, for whatever reason they always eluded me, but something clicked.

Next on the list are regular and switch bigspins both ways, i'm very much a nollie/fakie bigspin guy so expecting a battle with these.

I remember when I finally learned how to boost my FS pop shoves over obstacles. It’s one of those simple tricks that people cheer you on even on flat if you do them high and flat. Popping them fast and high is really scary though.

I’ve been boosting my 180’s, I used to scoop them around and I was getting decent air but If I really am to clear a bench with a BS 180 I need to learn them the right way: ollie and then backside rotation. Getting close to achieving this (somewhat), but controlling the board while you rotate is super weird, when you watch pros with huge BS 180’s you can see that their legs are basically doing a rotated ollie, they kinda push the board around in the air (I don’t know if I’m making any sense here). The problem with this method is that it’s really easy to fuck up and slam. I found that focusing on your front leg and popping around it helps, it’s like you’re pivoting around it but damn is it hard.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #588 on: June 09, 2021, 05:52:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I remember when I finally learned how to boost my FS pop shoves over obstacles. It’s one of those simple tricks that people cheer you on even on flat if you do them high and flat. Popping them fast and high is really scary though.

I’ve been boosting my 180’s, I used to scoop them around and I was getting decent air but If I really am to clear a bench with a BS 180 I need to learn them the right way: ollie and then backside rotation. Getting close to achieving this (somewhat), but controlling the board while you rotate is super weird, when you watch pros with huge BS 180’s you can see that their legs are basically doing a rotated ollie, they kinda push the board around in the air (I don’t know if I’m making any sense here). The problem with this method is that it’s really easy to fuck up and slam. I found that focusing on your front leg and popping around it helps, it’s like you’re pivoting around it but damn is it hard.

Yeah i lack a lot of confidence with BS 180s, which is funny because i'll do them on a 30ft booter on a snowboard, and onto/off rails no bother. I have a nasty habit of leaving my head and shoulders behind and slipping out.

FS 180s are my jam, love doing them up/over/down things and can boost them quite high now.

I recently got my regs FS pop shuvs way higher and cleaner, I used to hate that trick and never really did them but i'm actually starting to prefer them to BS pop shuvs now...i've developed a bad habit of semi-primoing my BS pop shuvs when i'm not warmed up or that front foot gets lazy, it's almost taken me out a few times.

Overall though, it's actually been really fun putting flip tricks aside for a couple weeks and working on all these foundations. Tested the ankle today and got heels and fakie heels back down in a few tries, and first tried my fakie and regs varial flips - for me that's proof positive that working on other tricks and just getting time on the board improves all your tricks (sounds obvious but it's nice when the hard work, works).

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #589 on: June 10, 2021, 02:59:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah i lack a lot of confidence with BS 180s, which is funny because i'll do them on a 30ft booter on a snowboard, and onto/off rails no bother. I have a nasty habit of leaving my head and shoulders behind and slipping out.

FS 180s are my jam, love doing them up/over/down things and can boost them quite high now.

I recently got my regs FS pop shuvs way higher and cleaner, I used to hate that trick and never really did them but i'm actually starting to prefer them to BS pop shuvs now...i've developed a bad habit of semi-primoing my BS pop shuvs when i'm not warmed up or that front foot gets lazy, it's almost taken me out a few times.

Overall though, it's actually been really fun putting flip tricks aside for a couple weeks and working on all these foundations. Tested the ankle today and got heels and fakie heels back down in a few tries, and first tried my fakie and regs varial flips - for me that's proof positive that working on other tricks and just getting time on the board improves all your tricks (sounds obvious but it's nice when the hard work, works).

I do find the fact most people end up preferring frontside pop shoves over backside in the long run pretty funny haha. I think it’s partly because a lot of people are used to doing them easily and end up popping them in a lazy way and eat shit, something you can’t really do with front sides where the pop has to be precise and controlled. Primo bs pop shoves are easily a session ending slam, front foot laziness is a killer. Always good to work foundations

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #590 on: June 11, 2021, 08:13:19 AM »
fakie front crook blind 180 out
got one just trying to get em better
sw flip and sw heel is my goal for the season biut need to heal up a bit first
ONTARIO CANADA

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #591 on: June 15, 2021, 11:04:07 AM »
Seems like everyone I grew up skating with learned how to bs tail within the last two weeks. One of my friends can kickflip in to it already and another friend can 180 in to it on transition already. Or I’ll go a random park and it’s like everyone at the park is doing perfect bs tail variations. I have extreme envy to say the least. Had a few breakthroughs on bs lip and bs smith over the last year so I’m gonna figure this shit out before the end of July no excuses. I don’t think I’ve ever wanted a trick more in my life haha

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #592 on: June 22, 2021, 08:50:44 AM »
Just trying to get comfortable on hips again.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #593 on: June 22, 2021, 11:18:47 AM »
Just trying to get comfortable on hips again.
Same, I've been skating for so long and haven't even done any type of flip trick on one yet.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #594 on: June 22, 2021, 04:29:28 PM »
Impossibles. Boutta get some mob and velcro shoes because this shit will not stick to my foot.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #595 on: June 23, 2021, 09:53:23 AM »
Impossibles. Boutta get some mob and velcro shoes because this shit will not stick to my foot.

If you're not used to impossibles or pressure flips then it takes some time to get used to the timing that's different from your usual pop-based tricks. Maybe you have to consciously think about keeping your back foot low for a little longer so that the board has that much more time to flip over it and you can get the wrap. To form such tricks you kind of have to keep the motion going after you've smacked the tail for a little longer instead of sucking your legs right up, here you want to lift your front leg up first but keep the other one down until you can actually feel the wrap, ideally the motion you want I would describe as like some kind of inward scrape. Put pressure on your back foot toes pre-pop too but try and actually seek to maintain it for a bit unlike how one would do for, say, 360 flips where they instantly let go.

You can also work on the form by at first just learning how to do half the trick and then landing with the board upside down over your foot (of course bail it as to not crush yourself). It's essentially this one basic motion you want to figure out and from then on control over guiding the board around is easy.

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #596 on: June 23, 2021, 10:28:42 AM »

If you put your back foot in the scoop position like you're going to do a BS shuvit, you snap and scrap the board against the ground right as you pop. Your back foot should be guiding the tail forward along the ground during the snap and then you do a half circle motion to get it around the top of your foot. Completing the half circle motion puts the board right side up and your back foot will hopefully be over the back bolts.

More grippy grip doesn't necessarily help because the board can get stuck on the side or top of your shoe. I use jessup and can impossible just fine.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #597 on: June 24, 2021, 04:46:59 AM »
Thanks for the input lads. I've gotten the wrap a few times by trying to swipe my foot along the ground before sucking it up, but still no lands. I think my big problems right now are, my scooping being too exaggerated and flinging the board away; and not getting my ankle involved enough. I was trying to get it wrapped over the arch/ankle area, but I frame-by-framed a lee yankou one and it looks like I should be pointing my toe more during the scoop and trying to wrap it more over the knuckles.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #598 on: June 24, 2021, 07:34:28 AM »
My board always razortails 'toeside', which is probably indicator of how i don't pop center of tail on like straight tricks. Pisses me off to no end bc feels like shit to feel the board just flop around instead of popping up nice and straight i hate it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #599 on: June 24, 2021, 07:49:31 AM »
My board always razortails 'toeside', which is probably indicator of how i don't pop center of tail on like straight tricks. Pisses me off to no end bc feels like shit to feel the board just flop around instead of popping up nice and straight i hate it.

Hmmm now that you mention it the wear on my nose (I use that for popping kickflips) is uneven, much more on the heelside. Could explain why my board wants to rotate like I'm doing a FS 180.

Will try shifting my popping top further up the center line.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m