Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48492 times)

primo

Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #600 on: June 26, 2021, 12:09:04 PM »
Frontside 180s (I either land on the nose or land nicely but my back foot slips off, I think I can fix this by bringing my foot in a little more)
Tailslides (front or back I just want to get the tail on the ledge before I die)
360 flips (I'm getting close)

I completely lost heel flips after not skating for five years, but I try them like 10 times each session and then move on. I'll get em.

HiResDes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -39
« Reply #601 on: July 06, 2021, 05:32:36 PM »
Backside anything on tranny aside from bs boardslides, yeah it seems mad scary to me. Also pivot to fakie coming back is terrifying and I don't know if I need to be popping a little bit to get out or not.

Jewel Runner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #602 on: July 07, 2021, 05:14:03 AM »
Fs Full Cab Heelflip (no pivot)

I'm so damn close.

Such an odd trick in my eyes! Could you record and share some of the attempts? Or even a land if you got it by now

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #603 on: July 07, 2021, 08:54:26 AM »
Frontside half cab fs boardslide the flat bar at the shittiest local.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #604 on: July 07, 2021, 09:14:38 AM »

Sounds very awkward but I have a friend with those on lock and he makes it work.

Currently trying to learn front 180 to switch 50-50. Seems really awkward but doable

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #605 on: July 07, 2021, 11:38:06 AM »
Front Crooks, had them for a while last year then I stopped doing them. Now I'm trying them on a taller flatbar but haven't had success over a few sessions.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 576
« Reply #606 on: July 09, 2021, 12:48:36 AM »
Might seem weird but half cabs. I could only do fs180s and fakie fs180s and now I'm finally getting the hang of rotating backside. Gonna try to get bs180s after.

al_cvbrera

« Reply #607 on: July 09, 2021, 06:45:44 AM »
pop outs out of 5-0's.

jaydella

« Reply #608 on: July 10, 2021, 04:47:45 AM »
360 flips
180 no complies
Tail slides, whichever side I get on the ledge first.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #609 on: July 11, 2021, 10:25:17 PM »
Not that a lot of these even matter unless you’re Leo Valls but backside 360 powerslide reverts and switch front 360 powerslide reverts just started making a lot of sense to me. Oh and nollie KitKats were you revert the shove around 360 instead of 180, user @silhouette is probably the only one who knows what the hell im rambling about

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #610 on: July 12, 2021, 01:48:19 AM »
@Gay Imp Sausage Metal actually I'm not sure, what is it again that you call a kitkat? I've heard the name before but blanking out on what it's referring to right now. In the vein of what you're describing, doing backside nollies out of nosewheelie the other day, by accident I did a few with perfect backside shifties out, that felt like full backside 180's I'd then powerslide back upon landing from due to my weight being off just the right way for that to happen. I usually kind of suck at backside shifty nollies, too so that was a good surprise. Maybe the idea will inspire someone to actually work on that trick, not sure I will myself, the few times I did try it on purpose it felt like a brutal slam magnet.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #611 on: July 12, 2021, 05:37:19 AM »
Kit Kat is just a shove it revert; you shove it one way and then as soon as you land (or mid air if you pop them) you twist back the other way. Think of that switch one that Stevie Williams does! They were big in the do a shove it and then another one straight after days. Guy does one perfectly in a line in video days, textbook example.

Anyway mine is a backside nose shove it, which I revert frontside, frontside 360 powerslides
Seem to be working for me lately so I just revert into one of them, will try and flim
Next time I’m out! Oh yeah, front 360 no complies just clicked too!
I want to see you back shifty nollie to revert now, revert everything!

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #612 on: July 12, 2021, 06:27:03 AM »
Backside anything on tranny aside from bs boardslides, yeah it seems mad scary to me. Also pivot to fakie coming back is terrifying and I don't know if I need to be popping a little bit to get out or not.

Can you feeble to fakie? IMO that is the gateway trick to pivot fakies. It gives you a little more clearance to sit on the coping and figure out the "heel-toe" exit rather than actually popping out. (Get into the trick on your heel, get out with the toes).

Unless you actually wanna pop out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #613 on: July 12, 2021, 08:28:19 AM »
Kit Kat is just a shove it revert; you shove it one way and then as soon as you land (or mid air if you pop them) you twist back the other way. Think of that switch one that Stevie Williams does! They were big in the do a shove it and then another one straight after days. Guy does one perfectly in a line in video days, textbook example.

Never heard that trick name before but I promise to make it a thing amongst my friend group.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #614 on: July 12, 2021, 03:15:33 PM »
Spent the afternoon yesterday trying crooked slappies. Actually got one with a terrible Baker make. Not the prettiest, but my old, fat ass counted it.

Was stoked to get that.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #615 on: July 12, 2021, 04:58:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Never heard that trick name before but I promise to make it a thing amongst my friend group.
very old name, perhaps even regional?
We also used to call back 360 no complies ballerinas, but that wasn’t just my crew!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #616 on: July 12, 2021, 07:04:28 PM »

Anyway mine is a backside nose shove it, which I revert frontside, frontside 360 powerslides
Seem to be working for me lately so I just revert into one of them, will try and flim
Next time I’m out! Oh yeah, front 360 no complies just clicked too!
I want to see you back shifty nollie to revert now, revert everything!

Ah yeah, actually it might have been you that I originally saw use that name on here, that trick I tend to associate it with Chris Hall or maybe Ron Knigge when it comes to skaters from that time period or maybe Brian Lotti. I used to do those switch a lot as a kid (no pop) as a way to revert back to regs, now I can only really vibe with trying that trick with a pop, catch then late turn which is harder and so I don't do it a lot, because in most cases I'd rather just switch pop shove-it. There's one kid from my area in general who started out doing the regular, non-popped ones a lot (which isn't uncommon at all) and then his skating progressed way past that point, but still he sort of never stopped doing that trick on occasion and whenever he does now it's actually pretty cool. Occasionally he will also pop shove-it body varial waist-high traffic cones.

Another cool, easy, underrated fun shove-it shuffle thing is the nollie and fakie big spin revert where instead of pivoting around into a 360 big spin, you go back the other way and so what you really get most of the time is a nollie/fakie shove-it shifty kind of thing.

Frontside 360 no-complies feel the coolest, have fun with them!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #617 on: July 12, 2021, 09:09:30 PM »
Another cool, easy, underrated fun shove-it shuffle thing is the nollie and fakie big spin revert where instead of pivoting around into a 360 big spin, you go back the other way and so what you really get most of the time is a nollie/fakie shove-it shifty kind of thing.
this one?
https://www.instagram.com/p/COiOTIQFBK7/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
I unlocked both of those recently too with all my revert madness!
front 3 no complies are so fun, even if the last 180 is defs "late" and/ or deconstructed.
any tips for backside 3 no complies? I think you do them all in one movement right? like not deconstructed?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:20:12 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #618 on: July 13, 2021, 02:08:57 AM »
any tips for backside 3 no complies? I think you do them all in one movement right? like not deconstructed?

Had these years ago.  Yep, one fluid motion.  Watch some old Ray Barbee footage.  If you can do a BS180 to pivot (fake ass BS 360) then you're well on your way.

Paperclip20

« Reply #619 on: July 13, 2021, 04:08:58 AM »
Switch 360 flips which just came from no where. I threw a few for fun and they rotated landing close to under my feet. Ended up working on them for 20-30 minutes and came away with a very sketchy switch tre revert. Hopefully after work today I can put one down.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #620 on: July 13, 2021, 04:27:44 PM »
trying to get all of my warm up flat tricks over manhole cover/with a backpack on. heelflip and front 180 are destroying me lately
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #621 on: July 14, 2021, 02:00:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
this one?

Yeah the first one, just without the pause, you land in nosewheelie position before bringing it back instead of around like most people do. For the backside 360 'ballerinas' my best advice would be to look (and orientate your shoulders) in the direction of your tail or even past your tail before you pop, so that you're facing the direction you're coming from and not headed to. Then as soon as you let go of the pressure by stepping off, the first 180 should be automatic as you're already realigning yourself with the board to catch it on the second half of the rotation. It's not so much heavy wind-up as it is finding the correct upper body pose and pop that complement one another. Pop feels like it happens somewhere in the center of the tail, mostly helped with the big toe. All of this applies to backside 360 ollies without the foot down as well.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #622 on: July 14, 2021, 06:46:06 AM »
trying to get all of my warm up flat tricks over manhole cover/with a backpack on. heelflip and front 180 are destroying me lately

Inspired by this post I did a fs 180, pop shuv and kickflip over a manhole cover today. I also managed a kickflip over a minuscule curb. An old geezer was just passing by and complimented me on it.  ;D

Now I want to take this further and try to kickflip up and down stuff.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #623 on: July 14, 2021, 07:59:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sounds very awkward but I have a friend with those on lock and he makes it work.

Currently trying to learn front 180 to switch 50-50. Seems really awkward but doable

I can do that trick occasionally. What helped me was to do 180s to ride on a short manny pad. That trick is fairly easy to get into and quite difficult to get out switch at the end of the grind.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #624 on: July 14, 2021, 08:03:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can you feeble to fakie? IMO that is the gateway trick to pivot fakies. It gives you a little more clearance to sit on the coping and figure out the "heel-toe" exit rather than actually popping out. (Get into the trick on your heel, get out with the toes).

Unless you actually wanna pop out.

For me the gateway was learning blunt fakies. I recently learned them with the heel toe technique and I got them way more consistent now. They are the easiest to learn on a smaller and steeper transition. 

Paperclip20

« Reply #625 on: July 14, 2021, 09:55:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I can do that trick occasionally. What helped me was to do 180s to ride on a short manny pad. That trick is fairly easy to get into and quite difficult to get out switch at the end of the grind.

That makes sense, did you learn them straight on first or from the side of the ledge?

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #626 on: July 15, 2021, 12:21:06 AM »
Half Cap Heelflip over the hip.
Got them pretty consistent on flat and banks but as soon I roll up to an hip I struggle with the timing and balance.
I end up missing the flick or I pop to late..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #627 on: July 15, 2021, 09:49:17 AM »
I am trying to learn consistency. I have learned a bunch of tricks but I want them every try.  Unfortunately it feels like I have to relearn some of them every time I skate. It feels like bad habits are easier to remember than good ones

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #628 on: July 15, 2021, 10:47:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

That makes sense, did you learn them straight on first or from the side of the ledge?

you talking about fs 180 to sw fs 50-50? I personally do them from the side of the ledge and set my front truck down first and pivot the rest of the 180 to get my back truck up on it. fs 180 to sw bs 50-50 is still a dream trick for me personally

Kaiju Foster

• Rep: 18
« Reply #629 on: July 18, 2021, 12:59:31 PM »
Been working on front 360s for what seems like forever now, just can’t seem to get them rotated all the way around for the life of me. Albeit, I had to take quite a bit of time off from skating due to some lingering health problems, but I’ve always been pretty confident in my front 180s, to the point I can do them more consistently than even pulling a straight Ollie, like my body just always seems to naturally drift front 180 (a whole other problem I’ve had for years, if anybody has any advice); I figured they would come naturally, but still can’t stick even a sketchy one. 360s versus 180s just seem like a whole different animal. That and slappies.