Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47958 times)

spanyard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #630 on: July 18, 2021, 04:11:48 PM »
fs noselides

skunty

• Rep: 68
« Reply #631 on: July 19, 2021, 12:49:37 PM »
Been working on front 360s for what seems like forever now, just can’t seem to get them rotated all the way around for the life of me. Albeit, I had to take quite a bit of time off from skating due to some lingering health problems, but I’ve always been pretty confident in my front 180s, to the point I can do them more consistently than even pulling a straight Ollie, like my body just always seems to naturally drift front 180 (a whole other problem I’ve had for years, if anybody has any advice); I figured they would come naturally, but still can’t stick even a sketchy one. 360s versus 180s just seem like a whole different animal. That and slappies.

To straighten your ollie try to pop the tail backwards instead of straight down. For front 3s try to learn them on a hip first

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #632 on: July 19, 2021, 02:37:35 PM »
Ollies...

After floundering and not really trying much outside of cruising some banks for like 6 months and then putting the board away, I decided that I'll do 100 clean ollie attempts a day.

Just did 50 in my garage but started melting so will do the rest when cooler. Probably did more like 80 but a lot were pure flops. Maybe 7-10 were actually clean, several inch high ollies with solid roll aways.

Zero eating of shit.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #633 on: July 19, 2021, 09:08:11 PM »
Good consistent kickflips and holding onto and sitting on back Smiths on transition

Kaiju Foster

• Rep: 18
« Reply #634 on: July 20, 2021, 01:23:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Been working on front 360s for what seems like forever now, just can’t seem to get them rotated all the way around for the life of me. Albeit, I had to take quite a bit of time off from skating due to some lingering health problems, but I’ve always been pretty confident in my front 180s, to the point I can do them more consistently than even pulling a straight Ollie, like my body just always seems to naturally drift front 180 (a whole other problem I’ve had for years, if anybody has any advice); I figured they would come naturally, but still can’t stick even a sketchy one. 360s versus 180s just seem like a whole different animal. That and slappies.
[close]

To straighten your ollie try to pop the tail backwards instead of straight down. For front 3s try to learn them on a hip first

Appreciate the tips, will definitely be trying both of them out. My gross Ollie has been haunting me for years hahaha Maybe I can finally start expanding my bag of flip tricks, too lol

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #635 on: July 21, 2021, 10:53:22 AM »
Half Cab Noseslide 270 out, I can do them but I cheat on the exit. I get the initial 90, but I can't spin the remaining 180 out fast enough so all 4 wheels are hitting the ground before I slide my wheels to complete the rotation. Ideally I would like only 90 degrees or less of wheels scraping.

Should I focus on landing and pivoting off my nose? Winding my shoulders more as I slide?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #636 on: July 26, 2021, 12:56:26 AM »
The last few weeks I have been focusing on backside smith grinds and did not do much besides them. Brought my frustration levels to the max and even had a little tantrum where I threw the board, which is extremely rare. I get into them and occasionally grind them with a very sloppy dismount. Need to figure out the balance more so i will probably stay frustrated for a few more weeks.

Setting up the nik stain board for the next session to channel his energy.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #637 on: July 26, 2021, 01:46:51 AM »
Varial heels and Wallies. Tweaked my ankle yesterday again. For the varial heel I just need to figure out that exact feet positioning for the scoop. Most of the time if I land them, there is like 20 degree from the shuv missing.
Bit frustrating because I can fs shuv blind and heelflips are okay too.
IG: @flowterspace

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #638 on: July 26, 2021, 02:02:35 AM »
Varial heels and Wallies. Tweaked my ankle yesterday again. For the varial heel I just need to figure out that exact feet positioning for the scoop. Most of the time if I land them, there is like 20 degree from the shuv missing.
Bit frustrating because I can fs shuv blind and heelflips are okay too.

For varial heels I find that it really helps to have both feet pointing slightly inwards (toes orientated 30/45 degrees towards your tail) - allows your back foot to really help push through the trick, and your front foot to just have to kick out straight as long as your heel was resting on the appropriate portion of the concave before you popped. Think of the adjustment as something to slightly compensate for the rotation of the board on the shove so that when you do extend your front leg, foot still hits your usual heelflip spot because you predicted the motion.

Wallies seem to be all about not forgetting to suck your legs up, especially the back leg, people often underestimate the degree of lifting of the knees required and so instead of clearing the obstacle they clip it even if their movement is otherwise correct because they just don't have the height. Getting height on wallies is actually easier than on ollies because the obstacle does a lot of the work for you, but you still need to want it and bend those knees once the wheels hit, you want to exploit the rebound not kill it. The last three kids I've witnessed trying to learn wallies, just that basic tip was enough to unlock the trick for them.

ToddlerBodyBag

• Rep: 0
« Reply #639 on: July 26, 2021, 03:11:25 AM »
I'm trying to perfect my Ollie to where I land it 99/100 times.

I dont want to try and expand my bag o tricks until I know I got the very basics down.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #640 on: July 26, 2021, 04:06:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Appreciate the tips, will definitely be trying both of them out. My gross Ollie has been haunting me for years hahaha Maybe I can finally start expanding my bag of flip tricks, too lol

Tried one the other week and had been ages and just stuck on 270, went flying lol

If no hip even just go off a kicker but don’t go straight on, go off whatever side isn’t the hard way

I dunno if it does anything but sometimes I try wind the other way so like my shoulders are like between 90 and parallel with skateboard
Front foot probably a bit further toe side than a 180 I have like maybe my big toe or a little more off the board and back foot sorta kick flip position maybe a little more heel side and just try smash the pop and keep the board between feet if you have both feet in those positions it just sorta goes and just concentrate and be looking at front foot over your shoulder as you come past the first 180
listen to cosmic psychos

Kaiju Foster

• Rep: 18
« Reply #641 on: July 26, 2021, 10:54:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Tried one the other week and had been ages and just stuck on 270, went flying lol

If no hip even just go off a kicker but don’t go straight on, go off whatever side isn’t the hard way

I dunno if it does anything but sometimes I try wind the other way so like my shoulders are like between 90 and parallel with skateboard
Front foot probably a bit further toe side than a 180 I have like maybe my big toe or a little more off the board and back foot sorta kick flip position maybe a little more heel side and just try smash the pop and keep the board between feet if you have both feet in those positions it just sorta goes and just concentrate and be looking at front foot over your shoulder as you come past the first 180

Dude, literally the same thing for me every single time hahaha Either come down 270 (usually even less) and faceplant or I wind up too aggressively and end up just whipping my shoulders around 360 as hard as I can and lose the board almost immediately. I’ve also had a couple of times my front foot will just barely scrape off the edge of the nose when I go to rotate and the board starts flipping into like primo and I’m just mid air hoping I don’t come down on it. Definitely giving these tips a try, though, from what it sounds like, and from what you and skunty have mentioned, I think a lot of my problems come from horrible foot and shoulder placement, just bad habits built up over the years from skating mostly by myself, though, probably could have used a little critique haha I will say, the Ollie tip I got has pleasantly been helping to straighten my Ollie up a bit and get them a little more consistent. Had to change up my way of skating a bit (feels like I look stiffer and have to skate a lot slower and had to stop worrying so much about popping as high as I can) but only a small price to pay. Another thing you’re dead on about is not having a hip or ramp of any sort (drive to the nearest decent park and back is pretty far from my house to really go regularly. I live in the middle of nowhere; there’s one about an hour away at a public park but it’s horrible, not nearly enough room for people to skate comfortably and it’s always full of kids clogging up the like 3 obstacles they have lol Always suffer a little social anxiety, as well, been trying to work on that, though, no excuse), I do most of my skating in front of my house or at little spots around town. I’ve been trying front threes off of this huge piece of wood I found in my barn that sort of resembles a manny pad, like a moron lol It’s about 4 and a half feet long, 6-8 inches off the ground, give or take. Don’t really know shit about ramp building, but my brother and old man are handy, might have to pay them a visit soon and see if we can put a little kicker together or something. But also, I’ve always realized I just kind of suck at skating, no natural ability for it hahaha always had to sort of fight to even get the tricks I do have (Ollie, front 180, pop shove it, front shuv, barely a heelflip that I land like 3/10 times on a good day, and can kind of manual sometimes), but have always loved it to death, though, skill or no skill. But hell, feels good just to be pushing around nowadays, honestly, a part of skating I take for granted sometimes while I’m getting angry with a trick. Thanks for all the help, dudes, big time SHALOM.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 11:15:05 AM by Kaiju Foster »

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #642 on: July 26, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »
I’ve gone full curb dawg this week, hitting up this perfect curb spot nearby. 

I had a rudimentary understanding of fs slappies already so the first night out I just hammered those until I felt like I had them down, and I messed with bs slappies a little before I left.

The second night I hammered bs slappies until I had those down (very surprised and pleased it only took one session, and now I think they’re actually more comfortable than fs.) I also messed with slappy krook before I left, locking in and grinding for like 2 inches at 0.1 mph, and so now those are the goal for the next session.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #643 on: July 26, 2021, 12:43:25 PM »

I had a rudimentary understanding of fs slappies already so the first night out I just hammered those until I felt like I had them down, and I messed with bs slappies a little before I left.

The second night I hammered bs slappies until I had those down (very surprised and pleased it only took one session, and now I think they’re actually more comfortable than fs.) I also messed with slappy krook before I left, locking in and grinding for like 2 inches at 0.1 mph, and so now those are the goal for the next session.
Hell yeah! Slappies are so great because they are not that hard to learn once you put your mind to it and they feel amazing.

Low effort/risk and high reward. Get that Krooked grind!

chris.

« Reply #644 on: July 26, 2021, 04:02:43 PM »
Thanks @yungthug !

They are all I can think about right now, I can’t wait to get em.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #645 on: July 27, 2021, 09:46:27 AM »

You got some tips for slappy krooks? (bs)
I always stick when I manage to put my truck down onto the curb.
IG: @flowterspace

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #646 on: July 27, 2021, 09:56:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You got some tips for slappy krooks? (bs)
I always stick when I manage to put my truck down onto the curb.

Try not to take too hard of an angle if possible. If you can get your truck in position thats half the work, you just have to keep your knees bent and be ready to push the grind as soon as your truck touches. You may be focusing too much on getting into it and not really anticipating the grind. Once you get more comfortable with getting in and dont have to think about it as much you'll be able to focus on getting in with your body ready for the grind and then it will go.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #647 on: July 27, 2021, 10:39:42 AM »
I think for me slappy crooks are almost truck dependent weirdly. I like to roll parallel to the ledge and at the last second sharply and momentarily unweight my front foot to get on then just lock in. This is on Indy's. On Ventures I turn sooner and at more of an angle. On Ace I just fucking hate my life and can't do them very consistently because I can never get a good slappy pinch on those trucks.

chris.

« Reply #648 on: July 27, 2021, 08:50:40 PM »
I got em!  This trick has always felt impossible but learning bs slappies and getting used to the feeling of being light on your feet and letting that heelside wheel ride up the curb changed that.  I ride up parallel, a couple feet away, and carve in and really just visualize that wheel riding up the curb, that visualization makes the shifting of weight I need to do feel natural and so I'm ready for the grind like tzhangdox mentioned.  I started with my foot closer to the bolts/more in the pocket but found that moving it forward some made a big difference.  These curbs I'm working with have a slight angle which helps with the "riding up" part and they've been worked over so well by other skaters they grind like a dream, so honestly a big part for me was just finding the right curb.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #649 on: July 29, 2021, 07:37:32 AM »
Started practicing switch FS 5-0's Yesterday on a whim and after some struggle I got a tiny one. Hoping I'll be able to keep getting my switch game up.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #650 on: July 29, 2021, 08:00:41 AM »
Nose slide to crooked grind on a parking block

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #651 on: August 03, 2021, 08:51:01 AM »
Trying to get switch tres consistent again.
Trying to get switch fs flips consistent for the first time.
Want to get back in to skating rails too. That was the most promising aspect of my skate abilities for awhile, but I went back to only skating stairs and ledges for some reason, and now I feel completely afraid of the average rail again.

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
« Reply #652 on: August 10, 2021, 05:18:56 AM »
Cope with fear...

I'm back on the board since 2020 after a 2-3 year hiatus and basically I'm at the level I left, nothing crazy tho just my basic bag of tricks.

But for some reason I'm not evolving anymore since I get this irrational fear of getting hurt. Don't get me wrong when I step on the board I'm the happiest guy in the world but for some reason I can't hit the flatbar like I was doing a couple of months ago because my head won't let me. Like my body knows how to do them boardslides but for some reason I'm scared shitless so I just freeze and end up skating mainly flatground and some pyramids.

Does this happen with anyone else? For instance I'm so scared of falling while skating but when I actually do it doesn't even hurt and it only pumps me to try harder. But when that fall doesn't happen I'm in my mind thinking shit for the whole session

Sorry for the vent

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #653 on: August 10, 2021, 05:47:40 AM »
Cope with fear...

I'm back on the board since 2020 after a 2-3 year hiatus and basically I'm at the level I left, nothing crazy tho just my basic bag of tricks.

But for some reason I'm not evolving anymore since I get this irrational fear of getting hurt. Don't get me wrong when I step on the board I'm the happiest guy in the world but for some reason I can't hit the flatbar like I was doing a couple of months ago because my head won't let me. Like my body knows how to do them boardslides but for some reason I'm scared shitless so I just freeze and end up skating mainly flatground and some pyramids.

Does this happen with anyone else? For instance I'm so scared of falling while skating but when I actually do it doesn't even hurt and it only pumps me to try harder. But when that fall doesn't happen I'm in my mind thinking shit for the whole session

Sorry for the vent
I just try to take baby steps and grind every step until it feels easy before moving ahead. Hopping on a flatbar always seems to scary, even though it's pretty difficult to even get hurt on a little boardslide, but on ledges it's not scary so I do that enough that it feels good and natural and then I know I should be able to move this to the next obstacle.

I still need to be in the right state of mind though, having second thoughts when approaching the obstacle is the way you get hurt, like only half popping instead of committing to the trick. I guess the only help is repetition, I have very little recklessness left any more  ;)
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #654 on: August 10, 2021, 10:47:18 AM »
boardslide hurricane on a flatbar. for more than two months now ....
i have a pretty consistent boardslide and can easily go 8-10 foot, but as soon as i'm trying to combine both elements, i usually ollie too far away from the flatbar and struggle with keeping balance. And tweaking the board into the hurricane doesn't work as reliable as i wish it would. Most of the time, i don't tilt the board enough for my back truck to make contact with the rail.
But i hope to land this consistently this summer. The last couple of sessions, it was at least a handful of makes.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #655 on: August 12, 2021, 04:54:23 PM »
Bs tails and bs lips. I don’t even want bs lips but I land in them 75% of the time when trying bs tails so I might as well learn them too.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #656 on: August 12, 2021, 09:51:07 PM »
Trying to get on higher ledges, trying to get all the nollie/switch 180 flips

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #657 on: August 15, 2021, 09:18:40 AM »
Twisted flips, because why not.

Got the trick mostly figured out fairly quickly, just need to stick one now.

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #658 on: August 15, 2021, 09:53:58 AM »
Giving impossibles a break and moving on to hardflips. As a 90s kid, I will be doing them muska style.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #659 on: August 15, 2021, 10:43:53 AM »
Giving impossibles a break and moving on to hardflips. As a 90s kid, I will be doing them muska style.

i really want to learn hardflips but its one of those tricks i just don't get, no matter how much youtube i watch... need to be shown them in person really.