Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48006 times)

white guy in a durag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #660 on: August 16, 2021, 02:26:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Giving impossibles a break and moving on to hardflips. As a 90s kid, I will be doing them muska style.
[close]

i really want to learn hardflips but its one of those tricks i just don't get, no matter how much youtube i watch... need to be shown them in person really.
I'll do a clinic when I land my first one.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #661 on: August 16, 2021, 10:51:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Giving impossibles a break and moving on to hardflips. As a 90s kid, I will be doing them muska style.
[close]

i really want to learn hardflips but its one of those tricks i just don't get, no matter how much youtube i watch... need to be shown them in person really.
[close]

Had never even gotten close to one, my fs flips are pretty bad too. Played a fifteen year old in a game of skate, he got me to T after a few blunders on my end, then did a hardflip on me.

Got hit with an fiery eruption of willpower to not lose to a teenager and somehow landed one. Spent a little time playing with it after and now a week later I've been able to do it against my friends in skate.

I think when I just pop and flick minimally like many people say, it goes wayyyy too vertical and I don't know how to jump or stay over it. Seems like its just a pressure ish pop and land for natural hardflippers.

What helped me was to actually try scoop forward like a front shuv (perhaps even more scoop less pop than a front shuv), and flick kind of aggressively backwards and make sure you get your front foot out of the way so the board goes between your legs as horizontally as possible. When I say flick aggressively backwards, I mean way off the side of the board instead of off the nose where you'd do a kickflip since the nose will be rotating towards that direction anyway.

Though I suggest aiming to do a slightly more horizontal one, realistically speaking it will probably still be pretty vertical, just not straight up and down like the ones where you start to question whether it was a hardflip or just a weird backside pop shove it.

I also find my body sometimes has to turn backside a little bit to catch it as it doesn't always rotate the full 180, usually a lil less. You also gotta jump quite high after you scoop and flick.

I found it a bit easier to form a proper one with my back foot almost like a tre (with less toe hanging off but definitely on that side of the board). If your foot is on that side and you scoop forward like a front shuv, it will tilt the board, making it a bit easier to flick off of so you dont miss the flick. A lot of people do it with their foot in the other pocket like a normal front shuv though so try both, or something in between which also works for me now.

Your mileage may vary, people who have actually this trick good have told me wildly different things so idk if my approach will work for everyone. You really gotta jump super high for it though, not a low effort trick for me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 01:37:24 AM by tzhangdox »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #662 on: August 16, 2021, 11:46:56 PM »
Switch 270 Powerslide to back tail slappy, only started working on them this morning but I locked into a few of them quite nicely …
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 01:32:58 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #663 on: August 17, 2021, 01:48:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Had never even gotten close to one, my fs flips are pretty bad too. Played a fifteen year old in a game of skate, he got me to T after a few blunders on my end, then did a hardflip on me.

Got hit with an fiery eruption of willpower to not lose to a teenager and somehow landed one. Spent a little time playing with it after and now a week later I've been able to do it against my friends in skate.

I think when I just pop and flick minimally like many people say, it goes wayyyy too vertical and I don't know how to jump or stay over it. Seems like its just a pressure ish pop and land for natural hardflippers.

What helped me was to actually try scoop forward like a front shuv (perhaps even more scoop less pop than a front shuv), and flick kind of aggressively backwards and make sure you get your front foot out of the way so the board goes between your legs as horizontally as possible. When I say flick aggressively backwards, I mean way off the side of the board instead of off the nose where you'd do a kickflip since the nose will be rotating towards that direction anyway.

Though I suggest aiming to do a slightly more horizontal one, realistically speaking it will probably still be pretty vertical, just not straight up and down like the ones where you start to question whether it was a hardflip or just a weird backside pop shove it.

I also find my body sometimes having to turn backside a little bit to catch it as it doesn't always rotate the full 180, usually a lil less. You also gotta jump super higher after you do the scoop and flick.

I found it a bit easier to form a proper one with my back foot almost like a tre (with less toe hanging off but definitely on that side of the board). If your foot is on that side and you scoop forward like a front shuv, it will tilt the board and be a bit easier to flick off of so you dont miss the flick. A lot of people do it with their foot in the other pocket like a normal front shuv though so try both, or something in between which also works for me now.

Your mileage may vary, people who have actually this trick good have told me wildly different things so idk if my approach will work for everyone. You really gotta jump super high for it though, definitely not a low effort trick for me.

I attribute my shitty kickflips to my FS Flips / Hardflips, the more I work on 1 the worse I get at the other. Key difference being the direction of drag and flick - Kickflips are straight and off the tip of the nose, Hardflips / FS Flips are diagonal and off the pocket where your nose / tail kick up.

You're right about it being more scoop than shove, you want a nice hard scoop that give that signature scrape of the tail against the ground. I can tell if I'm going to do a nice one depending on the sound of the scoop, less high pitched snap, and more hollow scrape. That's 75% of the trick. Nothing fancy with the back foot placement, square on the tail as long as you get that scrape-y scoop.

The remaining 25% is the drag and flick - I drag up and sideways so my toe hits the edge of the tail where the nose / tail kicks upwards, instead of straight off the nose like a kickflip. Like a 360 flip it's more about the pressure of the front foot than actually flicking, but I will add a little flick if the board I'm riding is very flat needs a help to come around.

It's a trick that feels easier the higher you can pop / jump to give the board time to go airborne and flip, hence I always pop them off my nose.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

MorningSesh

« Reply #664 on: August 17, 2021, 06:05:23 AM »
Kickflips up euro gaps. The two main challenges i think im having are:
1.Getting enough speed but not setting up properly fast enough

2. Not being able to keep the board under me after popping and missing the flick.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #665 on: August 17, 2021, 10:01:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I also find my body sometimes having to turn backside a little bit to catch it as it doesn't always rotate the full 180, usually a lil less. You also gotta jump super higher after you do the scoop and flick.

I found it a bit easier to form a proper one with my back foot almost like a tre (with less toe hanging off but definitely on that side of the board). If your foot is on that side and you scoop forward like a front shuv, it will tilt the board and be a bit easier to flick off of so you dont miss the flick. A lot of people do it with their foot in the other pocket like a normal front shuv though so try both, or something in between which also works for me now.

Your mileage may vary, people who have actually this trick good have told me wildly different things so idk if my approach will work for everyone. You really gotta jump super high for it though, definitely not a low effort trick for me.
[close]

I attribute my shitty kickflips to my FS Flips / Hardflips, the more I work on 1 the worse I get at the other. Key difference being the direction of drag and flick - Kickflips are straight and off the tip of the nose, Hardflips / FS Flips are diagonal and off the pocket where your nose / tail kick up.

You're right about it being more scoop than shove, you want a nice hard scoop that give that signature scrape of the tail against the ground. I can tell if I'm going to do a nice one depending on the sound of the scoop, less high pitched snap, and more hollow scrape. That's 75% of the trick. Nothing fancy with the back foot placement, square on the tail as long as you get that scrape-y scoop.

The remaining 25% is the drag and flick - I drag up and sideways so my toe hits the edge of the tail where the nose / tail kicks upwards, instead of straight off the nose like a kickflip. Like a 360 flip it's more about the pressure of the front foot than actually flicking, but I will add a little flick if the board I'm riding is very flat needs a help to come around.

It's a trick that feels easier the higher you can pop / jump to give the board time to go airborne and flip, hence I always pop them off my nose.

Hmmm I never thought about the sound of the tail scraping for any trick, but thats probably something worth paying attention to. Interesting because I can't think of a single trick in my bag where a scraping sound results in better form than a solid sounding pop. Maybe impossibles and pressure flips but don't really have either of those.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #666 on: August 17, 2021, 10:18:50 AM »
Tried backside flip disaster for like an hour yesterday. Had a couple times where I popped and flipped pretty okay but otherwise it just felt so outta control.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #667 on: August 17, 2021, 10:41:06 AM »
Re: hardflips, just recently I understood some key things about the foot placement that made those a lot easier to me, basically I make sure to start in 360 flip position (so with the big toe resting heavily on the toe-side edge of the tail), maybe with the front foot closer to the back bolts, toes feel like they must be in the exact center of the board. And then from that position, instead of popping like for a 360 flip you pop straight down, vertically, then the board will naturally stick to the toes on your front foot and that's when you just basically swipe right if goofy or left if regs as if you wanted to unfold the trick though your concave if that image even makes any sense. It really is a sideways flick as your shoulders remain open towards the direction you're going the entire time, so that the trick feels like you're sending it ahead of you when in reality you aren't, but popping straight down with most of your weight over your back leg and your upper body facing your nose will give that impression. Trick generally feels like it needs a harder pop than varial kickflip or heelflip on which you can easily just sweep to the side as you smack the tail, here you need to really use the rebound of the tail smacking and then instantly guide the board with the drag then flick of your front foot to help form it.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #668 on: August 17, 2021, 06:25:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hmmm I never thought about the sound of the tail scraping for any trick, but thats probably something worth paying attention to. Interesting because I can't think of a single trick in my bag where a scraping sound results in better form than a solid sounding pop. Maybe impossibles and pressure flips but don't really have either of those.

You know in the old THPS games and you do a Boneless? That's the sound I try to achieve.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #669 on: August 17, 2021, 08:37:49 PM »
Pressure flips any tips would be appreciated

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #670 on: August 18, 2021, 01:04:53 AM »
can you do the motion with your back toe yet? Practice that lots because your front foot does absolutely nothing except get out of the way. You also have to basically face forwards when doing one.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #671 on: August 18, 2021, 01:05:02 PM »

Pressure flips are particularly set-up dependent, as in they will be much easier with the tighter your trucks are which I reckon is part of the original stigma around them, just to say if your trucks are anywhere on the loose side then it's only logical if you struggle a bit.

Like their name implies, they work by applying (straight) downwards pressure on certain specific points of your concave that exist just over your wheels, so while you'll want to pop the tail regardless to get height and power, the key is to focus on positioning your big toe over your wheel (in the case of the inward heelflip-looking ones which I assume is the variation that you want, it's the one on the toe-side of your back truck). Then you jump straight up off that exact point, as if you wanted to drive all your body weight into it. Because such sudden pressure is suddenly applied to what really is the end of an imaginary diagonal line going through your wheelbase, that will cause the board to flip over and through that axis, which is what you want to get if that makes sense. I'd say it kind of feels like some kind of pedaling motion to get the board going.

Ollie impossibles work in a very similar way sometimes so if you can already do those, you could try just giving up on one whilst halfway through it (bailing by landing on the board upside down) because that's essentially the basic motion and from then on you just need to emphasize on the back foot action, and use it to push the board further through the trick as you pop. And if you can't do ollie impossibles then learning pressure flips should definitely help you figure those out, the compatibility in technique works both ways around.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #672 on: August 19, 2021, 08:13:21 AM »
The secret for hardflips is scooping an upside down fs shuv FIRST, then flicking UPWARDS to get the other half of the rotation. It’s a different feeling flick than any other trick. Other people describe it as trying to flick behind yourself. It’s a bit of both. Flicking upwards and behind yourself. Or atleast that’s how it feels and looks.  When learning this everyone tries to flick first which will never work and you’ll probably just be flicking double flips all day.
Also you know how you have to almost pretend you’re sitting in a chair when setting up for for heel flips? And then for tres you know how you stand over your board like a kickflip but your weight is mostly back in the pop foot? Hardflips are a combination of sitting back in a chair and sitting over your back foot. Shoulders are also very easy to throw off with this trick, but once you get really consistent with the scoop, it becomes super easy
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:10:59 PM by willphansbiggestfan »

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #673 on: August 19, 2021, 08:55:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
can you do the motion with your back toe yet? Practice that lots because your front foot does absolutely nothing except get out of the way. You also have to basically face forwards when doing one.

I can do the motion that gets the board to flip as long as I don't commit to putting my back foot on. As soon as I approach the trick with the thought of attempting to put my back foot on the board just like half wraps around the foot and goes limp lands upside down and nothing happens

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #674 on: August 19, 2021, 09:06:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I can do the motion that gets the board to flip as long as I don't commit to putting my back foot on. As soon as I approach the trick with the thought of attempting to put my back foot on the board just like half wraps around the foot and goes limp lands upside down and nothing happens

That means your movement is essentially correct but you need to emphasize on the big toe action more, so that the board flips faster and you don't need the extra down time of your foot literally being down on the ground to fully form the trick. With the right foot placement, the full flip should be automatic and the trick as easy to catch as a pop shove-it. I think you should focus on keeping landing with both feet on the board (even if upside down) and adjusting your back foot placement until you get that faster flip, big toe really has to cover the area of the concave that's over your wheel and you sort of curl it inwards as you pop the tail. Maybe your back foot is too perpendicular to your board (length-wise) too, I'd recommend setting it up at an angle or maybe even parallel (quite a few people do them like that) so that you can really insist on tipping the board over while popping as if you wanted it to go primo super hard.

I just dug up those roughly 15 year old shitty 'sequences' of young me doing a pressure flip late flip and a pressure flip late shove-it on flatground, maybe you can study the back foot positioning and action from them since for both those tricks, the pressure flip part has to happen extra fast: https://imgur.com/a/V5iXhHi
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 09:21:13 AM by silhouette »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #675 on: August 19, 2021, 07:09:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

That means your movement is essentially correct but you need to emphasize on the big toe action more, so that the board flips faster and you don't need the extra down time of your foot literally being down on the ground to fully form the trick. With the right foot placement, the full flip should be automatic and the trick as easy to catch as a pop shove-it. I think you should focus on keeping landing with both feet on the board (even if upside down) and adjusting your back foot placement until you get that faster flip, big toe really has to cover the area of the concave that's over your wheel and you sort of curl it inwards as you pop the tail. Maybe your back foot is too perpendicular to your board (length-wise) too, I'd recommend setting it up at an angle or maybe even parallel (quite a few people do them like that) so that you can really insist on tipping the board over while popping as if you wanted it to go primo super hard.

I just dug up those roughly 15 year old shitty 'sequences' of young me doing a pressure flip late flip and a pressure flip late shove-it on flatground, maybe you can study the back foot positioning and action from them since for both those tricks, the pressure flip part has to happen extra fast: https://imgur.com/a/V5iXhHi

+1 for the 15 year old sequences
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

danisismami

• Rep: 0
« Reply #676 on: August 27, 2021, 04:45:15 AM »
I am currently trying to learn fs alleyoop 5-0s in transition. Really hard for me since you kinda have to balance in the grind.
Also i am trying to learn airs. (bs and fs) You guys got any tips for those?

gabbesucks

« Reply #677 on: August 30, 2021, 12:07:12 AM »
Been trying to learn wallies for a couple months, so hard to get some air time I end up hanging up a lot (wallie over stuff)

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: August 30, 2021, 03:05:10 AM »
Been trying to learn wallies for a couple months, so hard to get some air time I end up hanging up a lot (wallie over stuff)

Most people who clip on wallies do so because they forget to bring their knees up and most importantly the one on their back leg. On this trick it's tempting to just watch the front truck clear the obstacle and think you've got it made, but then you won't level the trick out and will catch the edge with your back truck. You don't want to just bash into the obstacle, you also want to absorb the impact to get a boost up and over so even though you don't exactly pop the tail on wallies, you still have to jump high enough to clear the thing and use both knees.

s0sa

• Rep: 9
« Reply #679 on: August 30, 2021, 07:22:45 AM »
any bs smith tips for ledges would be nice

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #680 on: August 30, 2021, 10:37:08 AM »

Ollie into the ledge, not onto the ledge. Push your lower body ahead of your upper body, push the back foot and lean back, dip the front toe. Be very gentle when getting in, you dont want to slam into it or youll definitely stick.

dilbert1

• Rep: 141
« Reply #681 on: August 30, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ollie into the ledge, not onto the ledge. Push your lower body ahead of your upper body, push the back foot and lean back, dip the front toe. Be very gentle when getting in, you dont want to slam into it or youll definitely stick.

also be sure to land in the grind with your back foot pretty far back on the tail, your weight should be back-truck heavy but perching your toes near the edge of the tail as well should guarantee a nicely held grind along with a balanced dismount (or even pop-out)

Coffee

• Rep: 37
« Reply #682 on: August 31, 2021, 06:48:10 PM »
Trying to relearn heelflips has been a bitch. I had them really consistently when I was younger but probably haven’t even tried one for 15+ years until recently and it’s just not working. I can pop and flip good but my front leg somehow goes around the front of the board and lands heel side like if I was trying a kickflip. I’m probably going to just take my flat ground setup to a parking lot soon and just kill myself until I figure it out again.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #683 on: September 01, 2021, 04:14:09 AM »
Halfcab Crooked grinds. I have done a few but the learning process has been fun. At first I was riding at a harsh angle and it felt impossible. Over time I noticed riding parallel to the ledge has made it significantly easier. I'm still in the stages of trying to nail it down but I'm feeling good about it.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #684 on: September 01, 2021, 05:42:41 AM »
Cope with fear...

I'm back on the board since 2020 after a 2-3 year hiatus and basically I'm at the level I left, nothing crazy tho just my basic bag of tricks.

But for some reason I'm not evolving anymore since I get this irrational fear of getting hurt. Don't get me wrong when I step on the board I'm the happiest guy in the world but for some reason I can't hit the flatbar like I was doing a couple of months ago because my head won't let me. Like my body knows how to do them boardslides but for some reason I'm scared shitless so I just freeze and end up skating mainly flatground and some pyramids.

Does this happen with anyone else? For instance I'm so scared of falling while skating but when I actually do it doesn't even hurt and it only pumps me to try harder. But when that fall doesn't happen I'm in my mind thinking shit for the whole session

Sorry for the vent

At 45, this is now a daily part of my routine, haha. Things i did as little as two weeks prior can psyche me out, depending on how I’m mentally feeling.  I’ve never had much pop, but a shin-high flat bar that i used you do all the time 10 years ago scares me, and took a good deal of confidence building to try it again.

It really is just about confidence, and lack thereof.

When i was young, i was able to accept that I might need to eat shit a few times to get something, but confident that if i could get the feeling, i could eventually get the landing. At 45, I’m not willing to risk as much. So I skate more timidly, and that makes trying uncomfortable stuff kinda dangerous, because I get nervous, get stiff, and make things even worse.

I guess just try to build confidence back by working with your strengths, and choose your battles.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #685 on: September 02, 2021, 03:24:23 PM »
Over the last few session I’ve really dialed in kickflip manuals and I’m too stoked. Still working on getting bs smiths consistent and trying to learn bs tails

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #686 on: September 03, 2021, 08:24:42 PM »
Not a trick, but I’m trying to learn to love a short nose.

It’s taking me a good while

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #687 on: September 05, 2021, 05:17:34 PM »
Nollie shuv manual
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #688 on: September 11, 2021, 06:37:39 PM »
boardslide to feeble on curbs, got into feeble a couple of times today but couldn’t hold it and come out regular

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #689 on: September 12, 2021, 01:48:55 PM »
I'm gonna give back tails another go, I stall them on curbs but never been able to get much of a slide. since perfecting my front tail technique on higher ledges and getting them to slide I think I can kind of apply it to back tails.