Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48005 times)

somefucker

Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #690 on: September 13, 2021, 06:52:29 AM »
in my 14ish years of skating I have yet to understand how to crooked grind on a ledge/rail. I've done them, but so inconsistently it doesn't feel like I have truly learned them. slips into noseslide after a foot or so.

dime a dozen trend skater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #691 on: September 13, 2021, 11:13:09 AM »
I'm gonna give back tails another go, I stall them on curbs but never been able to get much of a slide. since perfecting my front tail technique on higher ledges and getting them to slide I think I can kind of apply it to back tails.
unfortunately this trick isn’t going work until I get better at back 50-50s it seems

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #692 on: September 13, 2021, 08:27:14 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm gonna give back tails another go, I stall them on curbs but never been able to get much of a slide. since perfecting my front tail technique on higher ledges and getting them to slide I think I can kind of apply it to back tails.
[close]
unfortunately this trick isn’t going work until I get better at back 50-50s it seems

Gotta have a solid BS 50-50 as foundation for BS Tails, more for being comfortable riding up and ollie-ing BS onto stuff, getting your shoulders to cooperate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #693 on: September 14, 2021, 01:25:29 AM »
Still working on my switch 270 power slides to back tail slappy but I’ve landed a few now.
Also, started popping into nollie back 50-50, but a lot of the times it’s more like a nollie back 50 and then I place the front truck down. Makes me think nollie back smith might actually be a better option…

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #694 on: September 17, 2021, 11:06:38 PM »
FS 180 nosegrind and 1/2 cab crooked grind.

I can do BS 180 nosegrind if I just bite down, commit and brace for a fall, but the FS 180 version baffles me.

Same goes for 1/2 cab crooked grinds, no idea how to aim my front truck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dime a dozen trend skater

• Rep: 6
« Reply #695 on: September 17, 2021, 11:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
progress has been made on both back 5050s and tails, I finally figured out back 5050s are pretty easy if I just ollie at an angle as opposed to parallel to the ledge. I also tried a few back tails using an angle on the approach and got some slide action on a curb. I feel a lot more confident popping backside with an angle (less of a blindspot) so I may give them a try on an actual ledge again.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #696 on: September 18, 2021, 01:44:53 AM »

I can do BS 180 nosegrind if I just bite down, commit and brace for a fall, but the FS 180 version baffles me.

If you can do a good backside noseslide to fakie, you just gotta turn a little bit more. Key is to keep the nose in a fixed position over the edge of the ledge where you wanna lock in, and swing your back foot around. That way you're more likely to lock your truck in as opposed to going into a boardslide or wheels on top or something. Obviously shoulders gotta be swinging too.

Another small thing that always helps me get the truck on is to push the heel of your front foot down when mid-air, that way it tilts your board slightly so its not completely flat during the rotation, and actually helps expose your truck to the edge of the ledge a bit better. Kind of hard to explain but it really helps me get into 180 nosegrinds when they don't work very well. For backside ones just put pressure on the front toe before getting in.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #697 on: September 18, 2021, 09:14:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you can do a good backside noseslide to fakie, you just gotta turn a little bit more. Key is to keep the nose in a fixed position over the edge of the ledge where you wanna lock in, and swing your back foot around. That way you're more likely to lock your truck in as opposed to going into a boardslide or wheels on top or something. Obviously shoulders gotta be swinging too.

Another small thing that always helps me get the truck on is to push the heel of your front foot down when mid-air, that way it tilts your board slightly so its not completely flat during the rotation, and actually helps expose your truck to the edge of the ledge a bit better. Kind of hard to explain but it really helps me get into 180 nosegrinds when they don't work very well. For backside ones just put pressure on the front toe before getting in.

Landed on top of the ledge and slipped out hard but I rolled away with 2. My back, shoulders and ass took a pounding to get it.

Getting the back foot to complete the rotation was essential to staying on top of the ledge and not over rotating. When I was under rotating I would end up in a noseslide or best case a very slightly pinched one grinding at an angle. And I was aiming too far ahead of where my truck should be locking, so I was over extending the FS 180 in front of me instead of almost parallel to my board.

Corrected this by telling myself to aim my front truck on top of the coping, just 3 inches in front of my shoulder.

Thanks @tzhangdox
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #698 on: September 18, 2021, 11:35:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Landed on top of the ledge and slipped out hard but I rolled away with 2. My back, shoulders and ass took a pounding to get it.

Getting the back foot to complete the rotation was essential to staying on top of the ledge and not over rotating. When I was under rotating I would end up in a noseslide or best case a very slightly pinched one grinding at an angle. And I was aiming too far ahead of where my truck should be locking, so I was over extending the FS 180 in front of me instead of almost parallel to my board.

Corrected this by telling myself to aim my front truck on top of the coping, just 3 inches in front of my shoulder.

Thanks @tzhangdox

The pinched ones are sick, useful if you want to pop out in the middle. If you want to do them back to regular like a tweaked out noseslide, pinching them is definitely the way to go there too.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #699 on: September 25, 2021, 04:14:01 PM »
Frontside cab. I can nollie back 3 pretty consistently and I'm trying to just mentally do it backwards a la silhouette's switch flip tip
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #700 on: September 25, 2021, 04:46:38 PM »
Cab flip, nollie fs and bs flip, bigflip, switch bs flip, nollie hardflip
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 08:07:05 PM by willphansbiggestfan »

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #701 on: September 25, 2021, 08:30:53 PM »
Switch front heel out of a bump

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #702 on: September 27, 2021, 03:00:53 PM »
just noticed I developed a little hop-tic right before I pop most tricks... it feels good but looks horrible. working on eliminating that.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #703 on: September 27, 2021, 05:47:57 PM »
I'm trying to learn switch backside 360s on a hip/pyramid since I learned normal ones on hips, daydreamed of getting them switch at one point and then saw some kid nearly half my age making them at the park. I got super jealous and since then have been making a fool of myself trying them over and over again. Similar shit happened when I saw a kid close to a third of my age making blunt to fakies, that made me feel even worse because they're fucking terrifying and the kid that was making them started skating after the pandemic lockdown started. It's not fair to be Gen Z, I wish my brain/body was still that malleable. No disrespect to the Zoomer Slap pals out there, but it hurts my ego to watch y'all skate sometimes.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #704 on: September 28, 2021, 11:37:44 AM »
Slappy variations on a regular ass curb with hardly any slope.

My artisanal curbs were great for building confidence and figuring out the movements, but a gritty parking lot curb with all its imperfections even after rub bricking and lacquering out in the wild makes it more satisfying.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #705 on: September 28, 2021, 02:21:28 PM »
Bluntslides. I’m convinced everyone is just born with these tricks besides me. Never seen a soul practicing them or trying to learn them but people of all ages are always busting out perfect blunts on obstacles of all sizes. The few pieces of advice I have managed to get from people, was very vague, like they barely understood it themselves. Funny enough, I think bs noseblunt will be my first variation to learn. It’s the only one I can kinda get in to

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #706 on: September 28, 2021, 02:24:41 PM »
Bluntslides. I’m convinced everyone is just born with these tricks besides me. Never seen a soul practicing them or trying to learn them but people of all ages are always randomly busting out perfect blunts on obstacles of all sizes. The few pieces of advice I have managed to get from people, was very vague, like they barely understood it themselves. Funny enough, I think bs noseblunt will be my first variation to learn. It’s the only one I can kinda get in to

I have trouble with this one too. I started getting them when I started to position my back foot farther down the tail towards the edge, something about the additional leverage helps the stability and slide

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #707 on: September 28, 2021, 02:26:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Bluntslides. I’m convinced everyone is just born with these tricks besides me. Never seen a soul practicing them or trying to learn them but people of all ages are always randomly busting out perfect blunts on obstacles of all sizes. The few pieces of advice I have managed to get from people, was very vague, like they barely understood it themselves. Funny enough, I think bs noseblunt will be my first variation to learn. It’s the only one I can kinda get in to
[close]

I have trouble with this one too. I started getting them when I started to position my back foot farther down the tail towards the edge, something about the additional leverage helps the stability and slide
Thankyou, this is the most legit piece of advice I’ve heard so far

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #708 on: September 28, 2021, 04:06:51 PM »
Bluntslides. I’m convinced everyone is just born with these tricks besides me. Never seen a soul practicing them or trying to learn them but people of all ages are always busting out perfect blunts on obstacles of all sizes. The few pieces of advice I have managed to get from people, was very vague, like they barely understood it themselves. Funny enough, I think bs noseblunt will be my first variation to learn. It’s Theo only one I can kinda get in to

Bluntslides aren’t hard once you figure out the angle to approach the ledge but bs noseblunts? I can’t even lock into this on a curb. It just doesn’t make sense to me. I wish you luck though. If you get them, please report back with the secret.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #709 on: September 28, 2021, 06:48:09 PM »
I need to figure out how to pop stuff lower. I see people with tiny Tre flips that meet you on the ground. Also little like baby hight kickflips. I need to figure this out.  I've never been able to skate light. I'm like putting everything into it or it's not going to work usually
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #710 on: September 28, 2021, 08:52:21 PM »
I need to figure out how to pop stuff lower. I see people with tiny Tre flips that meet you on the ground. Also little like baby hight kickflips. I need to figure this out.  I've never been able to skate light. I'm like putting everything into it or it's not going to work usually

do a few lil ollies up a curb and try do a kickflip with that technique

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #711 on: October 01, 2021, 04:14:46 AM »
Technically I already "Learned" them but Fakie Frontside Heelflips. A friend did one against me in a game of skate yesterday and although it felt unnatural as fuck for me to try it I almost did one. After the game I practiced them for a bit and did 3-4 sketchy ones. Halfcab direction is more natural for me so I'm still struggling with getting a full 180 on them.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -63
  • eight equals d
« Reply #712 on: October 01, 2021, 05:25:25 AM »
Been trying this for so fucking long but I want it so bad for some reason lmao… been trying to learn bs lip to bs losi nollie fs 180 out on round flat bars. Fs 180 so ducking hard on low flat bars
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

Sharp-o

• Rep: -6
  • WAH! Haippia spotille!
« Reply #713 on: October 04, 2021, 05:04:14 AM »
Been working on sw tres all summer

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #714 on: October 04, 2021, 07:08:41 AM »
FS flips...

I can do half of the trick every time but can't figure out the pivot out, i need to learn to catch the flip with my front foot and pivot, or go for the full 180... i'm sort of caught inbetween at the moment, tend to land somewhere past 90 degrees and just stop dead.

On the plus side I guess I can do the trick on a bank now.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #715 on: October 04, 2021, 07:28:22 PM »
I have been tossing Lazer flips but not getting close. I want to try them off something

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #716 on: October 04, 2021, 09:07:34 PM »
Manuel backside revert fakie manuel halfcab out

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #717 on: October 09, 2021, 11:43:42 PM »
I know for some people kickflips come and go. I use to be a mob-flipper myself, and had to work my way out of that, cause I wasn't getting consistent ones. Learning that and figuring out the different mechanics takes some time, so I was very impressed with the quality of this kickflip trick-tip done by a girl with less than 2 years of skate experience. I think it's worth posting, and could help anyone working on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GDJCNESgGQ

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #718 on: October 10, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »
just noticed I developed a little hop-tic right before I pop most tricks... it feels good but looks horrible. working on eliminating that.

I do this too, and I've always done it setting up to hit rails on a snowboard as well.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -63
  • eight equals d
« Reply #719 on: October 10, 2021, 04:50:43 PM »
fakie fs 180 bs nosegrind bench. cant pop high enough to turn without clipping the bench, cause im not going from the end of the bench but middle of it.
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.