Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 29199 times)

theoriginalgoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
  • eight equals d
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #720 on: October 10, 2021, 04:50:43 PM »
fakie fs 180 bs nosegrind bench. cant pop high enough to turn without clipping the bench, cause im not going from the end of the bench but middle of it.
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

willphansbiggestfan

• Rep: 15
  • Oh
« Reply #721 on: October 10, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »
Bs crook nollie heel out

Easy Slider

• Rep: 148
« Reply #722 on: October 10, 2021, 11:52:22 PM »
Kickflip down something higher than a curb. I can do it down curbs but anything bigger (even a two stair) doesn’t work. My body doesn’t want to do it. Are there any mind tricks to overcome this?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1078
« Reply #723 on: October 11, 2021, 12:46:10 AM »
Kickflip down something higher than a curb. I can do it down curbs but anything bigger (even a two stair) doesn’t work. My body doesn’t want to do it. Are there any mind tricks to overcome this?

Yes, convince yourself that you're just ollieing down the set until it's exactly the right time to flick.

willphansbiggestfan

• Oh
« Reply #724 on: October 11, 2021, 03:47:25 AM »
Jump straight up (as opposed to jumping forward/out) in the air, shoulders and all. Get a great snappy pop too. Slow the flick down the higher the drop. This should make the board glue back to your feet all nice like when you catch it. It’s why kickflips are the most fun trick to do down stuff

Damoforce

• Rep: 4
« Reply #725 on: October 12, 2021, 07:55:44 PM »
Trying to learn varial heels. Finally getting the full rotation and flip. But it always shoots in front of me. And then when I lean more front foot it doesn't flip :/
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for reviews, food and stuff

xandeo

• Rep: -2
« Reply #726 on: October 13, 2021, 03:34:54 AM »
Relearned fakie back crooked grinds on the last session - used to them pretty decently 15+ years ago.

Now building up confidence to give fakie fs crooks a go as well... done them in the past too.

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #727 on: October 13, 2021, 05:06:06 AM »
back tails and switch crooks
Skateboarding isn't a sport because when I'm in these streets I don't play
@grandroba

Skatebeard

• Rep: 36
« Reply #728 on: October 13, 2021, 05:56:08 AM »
Trying to learn varial heels. Finally getting the full rotation and flip. But it always shoots in front of me. And then when I lean more front foot it doesn't flip :/

this trick is my nightmare, been trying to learn them on and off for months... all I can say is maybe try them fakie, I got a lot closer to those.

I learnt Half cab flips and fakie FS flips over the weekend, the former came way easier than the latter, but i'm still struggling to roll away without tic tac-ing, need to get the confidence up and go faster i guess.

ssbsminotti

• Rep: 0
« Reply #729 on: October 13, 2021, 04:38:42 PM »
Trying to learn halfcab noseslides… probably did 8 sketchy ones and 2 good ones last sesh! Got into halfcab crooks on more than one occasion, but I don’t know how to get out of crooks so..

Sifter

• Rep: 8
« Reply #730 on: October 13, 2021, 04:54:05 PM »
Kickflips!  I never learned any flatters besides 180s and pop shuvs.  I've been filming my 'progression' with them and might do a little video eventually.  I know there's heaps of progression videos popping up but having the camera on helps a bit when you're trying kickflips by yourself at age 32 and overweight.

E

• Rep: 8
« Reply #731 on: October 14, 2021, 11:09:50 AM »
Any one have tre fip tip/advice for landing with both feet towards the nose of the board? Am I leaning too much toeside or too much weight on the front foot in general? Lean back more?

Thanks

dr.prestige

• Rep: 6
  • Burnt to a crisp
« Reply #732 on: October 14, 2021, 12:52:54 PM »
Any one have tre fip tip/advice for landing with both feet towards the nose of the board? Am I leaning too much toeside or too much weight on the front foot in general? Lean back more?

Thanks

I think the only tip I have for this is focus on jumping in the direction of your toes and your popping foot when you tre (if you're regular foot and your toes are facing north, jump northeast. if you're goofy foot and your toes are facing north jump northwest). Additionally I would say that just doing tres over and over again will naturally fine tune your abilities to do them over a few weeks, but I'm sure you're already aware of that.

I'm using this post to talk more about tre flips. I saw a video on instagram one time of a simple way to explain how to do a shove it, and I think that the same explanation can be applied to tre flips (obviously with different foot positioning and a lot more scoop than a shove): basically the guy said that an easy way to learn how to scoop your back foot is by standing on the ground with your back foot on a water bottle, then jump and at the same time push the water bottle behind you. Since I saw this video I imagine myself doing the same thing when I do tres and it works pretty well, I land them a lot more consistently.

On that note I've been starting to realize recently that most flip tricks are a lot easier if you don't try to think about it and just let your muscle memory do the work. I learned how to do backside flips on hips consistently by putting my feet in kickflip position and then instead of thinking about doing the backside flip I roll up to the hip saying to myself in my head "ollie backside 180" over and over, and that way I don't fuck up the flick or the catch. I think this works for me because overthinking things and being too conscious of oneself makes it so that the motions of a trick that are supposed to be subtle become overexaggerated.

Please stay forever Lhotse I love you.
Dude even posted a fit without anybody asking

willphansbiggestfan

• Oh
« Reply #733 on: October 15, 2021, 02:32:43 PM »
After years and years of trying for atleast 20 minutes every day, I finally got my bs 360s like Bobby dekeyzer. You really have to guide the first 180 with your front foot it turns out. Or atleast for me.