Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47936 times)

Blueabyssofthisss

Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #720 on: October 10, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »
Bs crook nollie heel out

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #721 on: October 10, 2021, 11:52:22 PM »
Kickflip down something higher than a curb. I can do it down curbs but anything bigger (even a two stair) doesn’t work. My body doesn’t want to do it. Are there any mind tricks to overcome this?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #722 on: October 11, 2021, 12:46:10 AM »
Kickflip down something higher than a curb. I can do it down curbs but anything bigger (even a two stair) doesn’t work. My body doesn’t want to do it. Are there any mind tricks to overcome this?

Yes, convince yourself that you're just ollieing down the set until it's exactly the right time to flick.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #723 on: October 11, 2021, 03:47:25 AM »
Jump straight up (as opposed to jumping forward/out) in the air, shoulders and all. Get a great snappy pop too. Slow the flick down the higher the drop. This should make the board glue back to your feet all nice like when you catch it. It’s why kickflips are the most fun trick to do down stuff

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #724 on: October 12, 2021, 07:55:44 PM »
Trying to learn varial heels. Finally getting the full rotation and flip. But it always shoots in front of me. And then when I lean more front foot it doesn't flip :/
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

xandeo

• Rep: 6
« Reply #725 on: October 13, 2021, 03:34:54 AM »
Relearned fakie back crooked grinds on the last session - used to them pretty decently 15+ years ago.

Now building up confidence to give fakie fs crooks a go as well... done them in the past too.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #726 on: October 13, 2021, 05:06:06 AM »
back tails and switch crooks
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #727 on: October 13, 2021, 05:56:08 AM »
Trying to learn varial heels. Finally getting the full rotation and flip. But it always shoots in front of me. And then when I lean more front foot it doesn't flip :/

this trick is my nightmare, been trying to learn them on and off for months... all I can say is maybe try them fakie, I got a lot closer to those.

I learnt Half cab flips and fakie FS flips over the weekend, the former came way easier than the latter, but i'm still struggling to roll away without tic tac-ing, need to get the confidence up and go faster i guess.

ssbsminotti

• Rep: -8
« Reply #728 on: October 13, 2021, 04:38:42 PM »
Trying to learn halfcab noseslides… probably did 8 sketchy ones and 2 good ones last sesh! Got into halfcab crooks on more than one occasion, but I don’t know how to get out of crooks so..

Sifter

• Rep: 46
« Reply #729 on: October 13, 2021, 04:54:05 PM »
Kickflips!  I never learned any flatters besides 180s and pop shuvs.  I've been filming my 'progression' with them and might do a little video eventually.  I know there's heaps of progression videos popping up but having the camera on helps a bit when you're trying kickflips by yourself at age 32 and overweight.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #730 on: October 14, 2021, 11:09:50 AM »
Any one have tre fip tip/advice for landing with both feet towards the nose of the board? Am I leaning too much toeside or too much weight on the front foot in general? Lean back more?

Thanks

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #731 on: October 14, 2021, 12:52:54 PM »
Any one have tre fip tip/advice for landing with both feet towards the nose of the board? Am I leaning too much toeside or too much weight on the front foot in general? Lean back more?

Thanks

I think the only tip I have for this is focus on jumping in the direction of your toes and your popping foot when you tre (if you're regular foot and your toes are facing north, jump northeast. if you're goofy foot and your toes are facing north jump northwest). Additionally I would say that just doing tres over and over again will naturally fine tune your abilities to do them over a few weeks, but I'm sure you're already aware of that.

I'm using this post to talk more about tre flips. I saw a video on instagram one time of a simple way to explain how to do a shove it, and I think that the same explanation can be applied to tre flips (obviously with different foot positioning and a lot more scoop than a shove): basically the guy said that an easy way to learn how to scoop your back foot is by standing on the ground with your back foot on a water bottle, then jump and at the same time push the water bottle behind you. Since I saw this video I imagine myself doing the same thing when I do tres and it works pretty well, I land them a lot more consistently.

On that note I've been starting to realize recently that most flip tricks are a lot easier if you don't try to think about it and just let your muscle memory do the work. I learned how to do backside flips on hips consistently by putting my feet in kickflip position and then instead of thinking about doing the backside flip I roll up to the hip saying to myself in my head "ollie backside 180" over and over, and that way I don't fuck up the flick or the catch. I think this works for me because overthinking things and being too conscious of oneself makes it so that the motions of a trick that are supposed to be subtle become overexaggerated.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #732 on: October 17, 2021, 10:00:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Jump straight up (as opposed to jumping forward/out) in the air, shoulders and all. Get a great snappy pop too. Slow the flick down the higher the drop. This should make the board glue back to your feet all nice like when you catch it. It’s why kickflips are the most fun trick to do down stuff
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, convince yourself that you're just ollieing down the set until it's exactly the right time to flick.

Thanks guys, I am not quite there yet. I need to find a nice low two or three stair with a decent run up.

In the meantime I have been working on 5-0s. I got into them and can grind a bit (tail scraping mostly) but then I kinda fall off the curb when the truck gradually slips of. I roll away but it looks and feels disgusting.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #733 on: November 08, 2021, 06:14:21 PM »
Landed some 1/2 assed BS Smith grinds on a ledge, not enough dip so my friends were giving me grief on that.

And BS Lipslides, a friend who I hadn't skated with in a few weeks learned them on a whim and had them consistent. Time to nut up or shut up about this trick.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #734 on: November 09, 2021, 10:02:52 AM »
I had a fun parking block session last night trying fs 180 to fakie fs suski on the other side (or fs 180 to fakie fs 5-o, or fs 180 to switch fs nosegrind, or fs 180 to switch fs overcrook, whatever bullshit nomenclature satisfies you the most). I've gotten them half cab out to forwards in the past, I got one good one holding the grind to fakie without really trying to go that direction at the beginning of the session and then spent the rest of the session trying to do another good one to basically no avail. I ended up doing a bunch of bs blunts tweaked slightly frontside, as well as doing a few half cab outs on accident. Anyone done this one in the past and knows how to hold the grind better? Also, anyone have any tips for stepping this up to a more challenging obstacle like a flatbar or something? I'd like to do this on something else that could hold the pinch a little better than the parking block I was trying it on, which slips out into blunt super easily.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • rest in peace Loaf
« Reply #735 on: November 09, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »
Landed some 1/2 assed BS Smith grinds on a ledge, not enough dip so my friends were giving me grief on that.

And BS Lipslides, a friend who I hadn't skated with in a few weeks learned them on a whim and had them consistent. Time to nut up or shut up about this trick.

I don't dip my back smiths enough either lol. Honestly if I get any at all I take 'em.

I learned back lips on accident trying to learn back smiths, I wish I could do them on purpose without cracking my board when I try them. It seems like when my brain knows it's going for a back lip it makes my feet stomp into it way more than I would for a back smith, I wish I had more subconscious control of my body for things like that

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
« Reply #736 on: June 01, 2022, 03:47:48 PM »
Bs feeble front shove out

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #737 on: June 02, 2022, 02:38:35 AM »
I had a fun parking block session last night trying fs 180 to fakie fs suski on the other side (or fs 180 to fakie fs 5-o, or fs 180 to switch fs nosegrind, or fs 180 to switch fs overcrook, whatever bullshit nomenclature satisfies you the most). I've gotten them half cab out to forwards in the past, I got one good one holding the grind to fakie without really trying to go that direction at the beginning of the session and then spent the rest of the session trying to do another good one to basically no avail. I ended up doing a bunch of bs blunts tweaked slightly frontside, as well as doing a few half cab outs on accident. Anyone done this one in the past and knows how to hold the grind better? Also, anyone have any tips for stepping this up to a more challenging obstacle like a flatbar or something? I'd like to do this on something else that could hold the pinch a little better than the parking block I was trying it on, which slips out into blunt super easily.

It's not exactly what you're trying but I've been relearning frontside 180 into fakie 5-0's on ledges lately (used to do those as a kid back when I was in the typical 180 into 50-50 phase) and I basically approach them from a wide angle then like a really over turned alley-oop frontside 5-0 (think how you would wind up trying it on transition/coping except you pop). The ledge I've been doing them on isn't much higher than a big parking block, but is one-sided and has a round top (which makes it horrible for bluntslides, smiths and crooked grinds but here forces you to aim just right for the edge). I think holding the grind really depends on getting into the right position, but since you're trying it with the tweak, how comfortable are you with sw crooks, can you hold those? Something you could do on your parking block too is approaching from the other way (frontside) and practicing 180 into sw crooks like an overturned frontside tailslide. Not that you would even need to land that (might as well though) but just getting into the position over and over again will teach you the right amount and angle of truck and weight distribution you ideally wish for when coming in from the other way for the other trick.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #738 on: June 02, 2022, 03:41:16 AM »
On ledges:

- nollie front nose

- sw nosegrind almost just tapping to fakie bigspin out

- bs tails need to come before the end of summer

On flat bars:

- front board 3shuv out

On flat:

- fakie hardflips

All of these are a bit too gnarly for me but I’m slowly figuring them out and I believe I can get them if I put in the right amount of hours into them.
Key is obsessing and trying trying sometimes I just can’t be arsed tho.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #739 on: June 02, 2022, 04:11:22 AM »
Key is obsessing and trying trying sometimes I just can’t be arsed tho.

The key actually is never trying, only doing. Not to come off as some asshat recommending some pseudo-motivational mindset, but it's just the best skate advice I've ever been given and whenever I too pass it onto the next person it always seems to generate results as they figure it out themselves. At the end of the day, the skater is the one in control of what the board does or doesn't and if the trick works out or not and if they have the basic technical skills to even consider the trick then baring terrain-related happenstance (e.g.. catching an unseen crack) it's really all mental whether they do it or not and learning skating has a lot to do with learning how to control that. I feel like a lot of times, subconsciously, some tricks feel so good they already bring contentment just to come close to and repeatedly bail, so we're tempted to stay away from validating them as if that had to mean moving on, or be too much disbelief. Or sometimes we find excuses, but we're really lowering the bar to our own selves and cheapening our challenge (hence a big part of skating being directly tied to self-confidence). Now figuring out the aforementioned basic tech behind tricks experimenting with trial and error naturally is one thing and also quite the process. I'm talking about the ones where the skater obviously has the rudimentary skills for and will still spend an hour or two repeating the exact same mistake at the same last moment only to drive themselves insane over the events like some downwards spiral (during which it usually becomes more obvious that they really don't want or believe that they could do the trick). So this is not personally addressed to you, just you said trying and trying is key and I wanted to drop the reminder that only so much so. Always saw (and endured myself) many, many wasted hours really faking a struggle against one simple movement that realistically should only take one go without any overthinking. It's almost like part of not learning or doing a trick is directly tied to how comfortable we are with accepting the idea that yes, if one really wants to then they're actually able to get to the point where they do it on command.

Nollie front nose is one of the best tricks, (maybe obviously) technically shares a lot of similarities with switch front tail.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 04:20:41 AM by silhouette »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #740 on: June 02, 2022, 05:08:20 AM »
Amen brother. Gnarred.
That’s basically me and what I meant.
I love the struggle of trying a trick but yeah sometimes I create it.

Je ne parle pas anglais.  :)
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

oak leaf

• Rep: 45
« Reply #741 on: June 02, 2022, 07:24:32 AM »
i have a small bag of tricks and they aren’t very pretty so at this point im working on skating faster

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #742 on: June 07, 2022, 08:33:44 AM »
Transition. My hometown didn’t have a skatepark so I hadn’t skated transition for a big chunk of my formative years. Trying to get more comfortable with it and also flowing around a skatepark, better ollies off hips and banks.

Goes between feeling amazing and feeling like soggy cereal
(Cool Trick GIF)

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #743 on: June 07, 2022, 08:47:31 AM »
Hospital flips and fakie hospital flips, try as I might I just can't commit my back/popping foot to land the trick, i've got the front foot motion and board movement pretty down... but can't put the land together.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #744 on: June 07, 2022, 09:03:07 AM »
Hospital flips and fakie hospital flips, try as I might I just can't commit my back/popping foot to land the trick, i've got the front foot motion and board movement pretty down... but can't put the land together.

Imagine it's a pop shove-it you're catching, it's really the exact same thing, don't think 'straight trick' at least for your first few. Landing should feel just about the same regardless of how vertical or sideways your motion goes.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #745 on: June 12, 2022, 04:37:54 PM »
I tried front shuv back 50's today for the first time in my nearly two and a half decades of skating. It wasn't that hard to ride away from once I started to fully commit. I should've tried them a long time ago. Next up is figuring out front shut back nosegrinds or maybe front shuv back 5-0's

I learned to ollie into back blunts a couple years ago after doing them on quarterpipes and banks forever. I'm still scared to try them frontside, but I'm trying to work up the courage to figure them out
fuck you bama

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #746 on: June 12, 2022, 07:59:04 PM »
Been trying a couple things, both nose grinds.

1) slappy fs nose grind longer than 6 inches. I can't hold these for the life of me and I can only take them to fakie. A park near my work was recently remodeled and they added a buttery curb there so I'm committed to getting these down.

2) Ollie into fs nosegrind. I'm admittedly pretty bad at any nose manuals so maybe I should try to get those down first, but I can't even get these on super low ledges. My weight is probably off and I end up sticking and falling forward

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #747 on: June 13, 2022, 12:22:17 PM »
Been trying a couple things, both nose grinds.

1) slappy fs nose grind longer than 6 inches. I can't hold these for the life of me and I can only take them to fakie. A park near my work was recently remodeled and they added a buttery curb there so I'm committed to getting these down.

2) Ollie into fs nosegrind. I'm admittedly pretty bad at any nose manuals so maybe I should try to get those down first, but I can't even get these on super low ledges. My weight is probably off and I end up sticking and falling forward

I think in both cases what you want to achieve is getting your weight over the curb or ledge on the nosegrind. To fakie on the slappy probably means you're not completely sitting over the front truck and piloting the nosegrind right from above, sounds like you instead may be having your weight away from the edge and extending your leg to drive the front truck into it nonetheless to make up for that. For nosegrinds in general you want as much of the truck locked in as possible (ideally up to the next wheel) for stability, that's when they become basically glorified nosemanuals on slick obstacles (and where learning those would indeed help), 'shying' away from them is actually more dangerous.

Crooked grinds are very similar too, I was actually just teaching to someone at the park, for those one wants to sort of sidestep onto the ledge during a ollie and then really stomp and crush that front truck with all their might from up top, really standing on it or else that's how the weird semi noseslide ones happen. 'To the side' approach feels wrong for those tricks, you really want to think 'up and over'.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #748 on: June 13, 2022, 07:53:39 PM »
i made posts on it long ago, and it took me a year, but i finally figured out fs crooks. going faster was actually the biggest factor in getting them more consistent. super stoked. getting up and over like silhouette said, popped as if i was going for a nosegrind but then tweaking it and putting it down once i was over the ledge. stay square with shoulders and a little push and pop out and the dopamine hits hard on the roll away.

back smiths are up next

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #749 on: June 19, 2022, 02:23:39 PM »
BS nosepicks on transition... is it a nosepick when you don't indy grab yank it in? I did a few bs nose pivots (that's what I'd call em, no pop or yank in) on a mellow quarter today, but I want to "pop" back into the transition soon. Would be fun to learn the yank in as well.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead