Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47973 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #780 on: July 19, 2022, 09:28:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Switch pop shove is all in the big toe, if you lodge it in the right place of the tail (usually covering the tip but with the ball of the foot mostly resting inside) it will ensure the board will stay flat as it's a 'neutral' part that will rebound, that's how and why done right those can look like they barely ever leave your feet, usually I just think Jan Kliewer or Alex Carolino or most people from the Lordz/Square era really for a reference (it's also one of those tricks where you mostly face backwards, like switch ollies, otherwise it can be tempting to turn frontside unless you lock your upper body in place). Key to good front shove is try and eliminate all scoop, just pop straight down (again from the right spot on the tail so it doesn't start flipping) and watch the bolts come around. With that technique though just doing one frontside pressure flip once will fuck me up on them for days.
[close]

Can you elaborate a bit on that front shuv tip?

Front shuvs are sort of a monkey's paw trick for me where I can do them every try, but I hate how I do them. I do the the kind where you sorta jump backwards and I've tried every foot placement to prevent it.

Yeah, basically the logic is similar to what I was describing with the switch pop shove, just reversed, in both cases you want the center of the tail to hit the ground in an explosive manner (doesn't have to be strong pop - although that works too - but has to be sudden and fierce). On all pop shoves, if the board is (barely noticeably) off axis as the tail hits the ground because your foot positioning was applying pressure over incorrect spots, basically that's when the board starts flipping. For optimal technique and good control you want to think 'modified ollie' on those tricks and form them on your way up then catch them which is the only thing the front foot really has to do, which means you can drive pretty much all the force you put into the trick into completely vertical pop just from being set up right. A lot of the scoop is purely stylistic and optional if you want it to be (unless you're doing non-popped shoves), ties back into how I was saying pop shoves can feel like ollies when they don't leave your feet.

I had to dig deep for that one, but I found some I filmed for a shop Instagram back in 2016 with that technique, may be a better visualization:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BI8tLbWjSGo/

Apparently I also had one for switch front bigs, may be a better reference since I seem to remember you're regular (I had completely forgotten about those clips until now):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJfA465D7uH/

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #781 on: July 19, 2022, 09:30:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Switch pop shove is all in the big toe, if you lodge it in the right place of the tail (usually covering the tip but with the ball of the foot mostly resting inside) it will ensure the board will stay flat as it's a 'neutral' part that will rebound, that's how and why done right those can look like they barely ever leave your feet, usually I just think Jan Kliewer or Alex Carolino or most people from the Lordz/Square era really for a reference (it's also one of those tricks where you mostly face backwards, like switch ollies, otherwise it can be tempting to turn frontside unless you lock your upper body in place). Key to good front shove is try and eliminate all scoop, just pop straight down (again from the right spot on the tail so it doesn't start flipping) and watch the bolts come around. With that technique though just doing one frontside pressure flip once will fuck me up on them for days.
[close]

Front shuvs are sort of a monkey's paw trick for me where I can do them every try, but I hate how I do them. I do the the kind where you sorta jump backwards and I've tried every foot placement to prevent it.
[close]

Yeah, basically the logic is similar to what I was describing with the switch pop shove, just reversed, in both cases you want the center of the tail to hit the ground in an explosive manner (doesn't have to be strong pop - although that works too - but has to be sudden and fierce). On all shoves, if the board is (barely noticeably) off axis as the tail hits the ground because your foot positioning was applying pressure over incorrect spots, basically that's when the board starts flipping. For optimal technique and good control you want to think 'modified ollie' on those tricks and form them on your way up then catch them which is the only thing the front foot really has to do, which means you can drive pretty much all the force you put into the trick into completely vertical pop just from being set up right. A lot of the scoop is purely stylistic and optional if you want it to be (unless you're doing non-popped shoves), ties back into how I was saying pop shoves can feel like ollies when they don't leave your feet.

I had to dig deep for that one, but I found some I filmed for a shop Instagram back in 2016 with that technique, may be a better visualization:

Very interesting. I've never heard it explained in those terms but that makes perfect sense. Definitely gonna go experiment with this.

You have quite a way with words when it comes to tricks!

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #782 on: July 19, 2022, 11:10:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, basically the logic is similar to what I was describing with the switch pop shove, just reversed, in both cases you want the center of the tail to hit the ground in an explosive manner (doesn't have to be strong pop - although that works too - but has to be sudden and fierce). On all shoves, if the board is (barely noticeably) off axis as the tail hits the ground because your foot positioning was applying pressure over incorrect spots, basically that's when the board starts flipping. For optimal technique and good control you want to think 'modified ollie' on those tricks and form them on your way up then catch them which is the only thing the front foot really has to do, which means you can drive pretty much all the force you put into the trick into completely vertical pop just from being set up right. A lot of the scoop is purely stylistic and optional if you want it to be (unless you're doing non-popped shoves), ties back into how I was saying pop shoves can feel like ollies when they don't leave your feet.

[close]

Very interesting. I've never heard it explained in those terms but that makes perfect sense. Definitely gonna go experiment with this.

To reiterate and add to what Silhouette wrote...

The whole trick is the force you apply with your back foot. Your front foot is simply there to catch it.
As a result it helps me imagine that my back foot is pushing / passing the board to my front foot.

When I do them regular the pop is snappier so the board rotates quicker and goes higher.

When I do them switch the pop is heavier so the board rotates slower and lower... but it looks like a more effortless trick

The thing to note with both ways is the pop and the body is a straight up and down motion like Silhouette said.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #783 on: July 19, 2022, 11:25:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

To reiterate and add to what Silhouette wrote...

The whole trick is the force you apply with your back foot. Your front foot is simply there to catch it.
As a result it helps me imagine that my back foot is pushing / passing the board to my front foot.

When I do them regular the pop is snappier so the board rotates quicker and goes higher.

When I do them switch the pop is heavier so the board rotates slower and lower... but it looks like a more effortless trick

The thing to note with both ways is the pop and the body is a straight up and down motion like Silhouette said.

I like this analogy. I'm very excited to try this. I always did them with my back foot, but I always scooped real hard not considering his point about the board being off axis.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #784 on: August 06, 2022, 07:30:25 AM »
Slappy back feebles on a parking block and backside disasters. I dunno what I'm doing wrong with either as they seem simple but it's like I don't even get close. I can slappy front feeble and frontside disaster so it kinda doesn't make sense.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #785 on: August 06, 2022, 12:08:50 PM »
Working my way up to higher back 50/50s. Can do slappy, can pop on very low curbs but then it gets complicated.

I also tried roll on front crooks, looks easy but it's quite gnarly to commit.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #786 on: August 07, 2022, 02:06:22 AM »

Yes, great advice, this is big. The technique is especially visible in that switch frontside bigspin video I shamelessly posted above and am shamelessly referencing again, the way I'm doing them is I'm popping to pass the board from the back foot to the front foot and then with the shoulders I keep going after the catch for what really feels like a late 180, but the lower body technique is the same (and keeping going with the shoulders allows for more energy put into the trick as well, meaning that learning frontside bigspins like that might actually really help flesh out the technique since incorporated into such a motion it must be easier).

Wildcard question but @MadeYouLook (... made you look) did you ever get the 'passing from one foot to the next' tip from that one random ass fucking twenty-year-old Kingpin trick tip booklet thing that went around Europe as a bonus in one of the issues, because there was one that described how to do frontside bigspins like that. Actually it always stuck with me and probably is the reason why I learned switch frontside bigspins the way I always did them since and not as a sw front pop with a pivoted landing like I used to as a kid. Would be funny if it were the same advice that had stuck with you too.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #787 on: August 24, 2022, 02:25:31 PM »
Fakie flip fakie crook off bump to ledge.  Either feels good / falling into place or not close at all. Sketching accidental bail/ land back on the boards which are frightening. 

Have been on my manual game starting to toy with fakie Impossible switch manny.  Not even close yet.  Have to spend more time breaking it down.  I’m not a manny guy so I have to really session for these types of tricks.
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #788 on: August 24, 2022, 02:40:55 PM »
back smithy, tres, varial heels, FS 50s on tranny, back 50 round rails, FS tails on ledges, decked rock to fakie on jersey barriers.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 456
« Reply #789 on: August 24, 2022, 03:25:49 PM »
I'm going back to just trying to learn how to be comfortable on my board again. I could try harder tricks and get close or eventually land a poor version but just practicing pushing, ollies, kickflips, pop shoves basically. When I get bored of that I'll practice fs noseslide and half cab noseslides.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #790 on: August 24, 2022, 07:37:31 PM »
back smithy, tres, varial heels, FS 50s on tranny, back 50 round rails, FS tails on ledges, decked rock to fakie on jersey barriers.

Landed a perfect 360 flip a few weeks ago out of the blue, I usually need 20 tries. I'm going to try a few every session just because.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #791 on: August 25, 2022, 12:07:46 AM »
fs wall ride on a barrier with no mud. all my spots have the gap. i love it.  i like to get on back side slide the face with all four wheels an drag the back wheels up kinda slowish do a quick lil pivot and scrape on the way out. its loud af. Feels kinda like a lil slide and roll almost

Down on derby street the barriers are in front of the bars' buttline. i do lines to the bs wall thing. and i usually end with impossible and i stomp everything loud af because its the waterfront. I like loud skating always... anyway

i need a lesson.

How do i get on the barrier fs over that gap and have time to turn back. When i do make it through the curve i almost always land primo. I tried leaning back more and standing more like wider stance but i slip out as i reach the peak and explode on the wall of the barrier. Hopefully land on my feet.
 I know its a form thing because i can get up high on the barrier just not edging quite yet. Id slap some mud on the barrier and try to cop a protection spell or some shit from the shop next door to try anything to make it last but that's a very busy street in the day and evening. Weekends its a zoo.

Would be dope to figure it out before Halloween. Im going to put on the Raiden hat punk props and busk $5 kickflips $10 tre $20 Impossible. Notice that my go to first try trick is the big money. They see some trys on the other two tricks and when they get a stomped imp at the end then they will be like dayem take our money. Have some extra!

im going to act all pissy about fake trys and slash the barrier front side with mad bark to build tension as i come about to stomp one in the face of an Olympics loving tourist kook. Non skaters You just cant be yelling that shit at me all day and expect. You gotta pay so go ahead yell it if you want just put the money in my hand. Phillip The Bucket sailor.

No ones going to be yelling shit after they see me fuck you that barrier FS.  BARK!!! push twice SCRAPE STOMP.

Ill include KISS gets a shuv. Switch if with a tongue ok? Granma cheak peck cab. Gotta Cab for the Grannies ok. I should at least get a kiss for my effort to entertain and my costume maaaan.

fuck its 3am. damn im a lazy sod. I skated a 1/4 mile with 3 loads of laundry in one muffin top basket a mini guitar and a canvas i started today. that was a bitch. Mad embarrassing. Tourist was laughing at me and shit making me break character and giggle. Now they will ask for free kickflips maybe next time they see me at brunch dt.

im not editing this shit post. i gotta find a mate so i slap less and sleep more. No ass will ever lessen my skating tho. Skating is better than developing a serious relationshit. Lone Fucking Wolf in the streets daily daily ok. and i see outher people maaan
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #792 on: August 29, 2022, 02:50:19 AM »
Kickflips…forward and backward. I stopped doing them and BOOM…lost em. In my old age, relearning shit is hard. It’s harder when you only have 2 hours a week to skate. Enjoy every minute!

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #793 on: August 29, 2022, 07:09:29 AM »
I have started trying bs 360s and from time to time i do them but more like 270 and pivot/slide till 360. I think i have to pop and scoop more so the back truck have more air time before landing. Anyways, it feels great :)

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #794 on: August 30, 2022, 02:33:30 AM »
BS heels, i've had a couple sessions on them sofar... deffo a trick I'll get but they're pretty scary to fully commit to, have landed a few with most of the rotation but not really rolled away yet.

Air-Bear

• Rep: 2
« Reply #795 on: August 31, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »
For some reason, I really got stuck on learning switch FS No-Complys.
Got a few on accident, then a few that felt good while actually trying. But the coordination of stepping off with the "wrong" foot, popping switch and doing the full 180 with my body has left me stumbling over and shinning myself more than I'd like to admit...

I also got back to switch Kickflips, after accepting that I will never really have them for the last 2 or 3 years. The eternal battle continues.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #796 on: August 31, 2022, 04:00:40 PM »
How to most effectively strengthen my core of alleviate this debilitating herniated disc pain. Anyone got tips?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #797 on: September 02, 2022, 02:10:23 AM »
Switch frontside noseslide pretzel 270 out. Ollie in, not slap (thats cheating)

How the fuck are you meant to go about it? I'm trying to imagine sw fs nose bigspin but have my feet and body follow, but either get tangled or the board goes too far away or my front foot comes way off. The ones I do stick or get close to I have no idea what I was doing.

Tips appreciated. Pls

LebowskisRug

« Reply #798 on: September 02, 2022, 09:16:09 AM »
How to most effectively strengthen my core of alleviate this debilitating herniated disc pain. Anyone got tips?

Jefferson curls, squats, Romanian deadlifts, back extensions. Start assisted or at bodyweight with nice, controlled reps pushing a comfortable ROM. Once you can guarantee good ROM slowly move to unassisted, then add weight. This is what any PT program would advise.

You could start with 3x a week doing a few sets of 15-20 reps until you're doing bodyweight, then drop the reps to 8-10, build back up to 15-20, then add weight and work on lower rep sets to build strength in the 5-10 rep range.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #799 on: September 02, 2022, 10:43:04 AM »
Front tails. I always just seem to stick and get locked up. BSTS doesn't give me that issue at all.

steezenking

• Rep: 12
« Reply #800 on: September 02, 2022, 12:28:33 PM »
tailslide kickflip out. Shits hard

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #801 on: September 03, 2022, 09:31:43 AM »
At the beginning of the year I told myself I was going to learn switch nose manuals.  Now it’s September and I haven’t started yet.  Still have a few more months

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #802 on: September 03, 2022, 11:59:21 AM »
impulse control

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #803 on: September 03, 2022, 10:06:21 PM »
Front tails. I always just seem to stick and get locked up. BSTS doesn't give me that issue at all.

Are you popping too high and slamming your tail down on the ledge? I struggled with them for years as a teenager. Only got them consistent a few years ago. I tell myself that I have to maintain my forward my momentum during the slide, so popping gently and dragging my foot sideways will help me get my tail just on top of the ledge without stomping it down.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #804 on: September 05, 2022, 05:00:38 PM »
How to not blame my gear for inability to do certain tricks especially if I had them on lock on an old setup.

Paperclip20

« Reply #805 on: September 07, 2022, 06:33:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you popping too high and slamming your tail down on the ledge? I struggled with them for years as a teenager. Only got them consistent a few years ago. I tell myself that I have to maintain my forward my momentum during the slide, so popping gently and dragging my foot sideways will help me get my tail just on top of the ledge without stomping it down.

Damn, I think that's exactly what I do every time now that you mention. I think it's because I struggle with popping into them so I jump as high as possible. I'll try not slamming down so hard.

Thanks !

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #806 on: September 07, 2022, 09:45:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn, I think that's exactly what I do every time now that you mention. I think it's because I struggle with popping into them so I jump as high as possible. I'll try not slamming down so hard.

Thanks !

Frontside tailslide I feel like is mostly a lower body trick and is a bit similar to frontside lipslides on ledges in that you don't want to stomp down on them and mostly want to glide along for a (more or less) quick ride then dismount back to riding away. You know how you approach and scoop frontside ollies on transition (or even basic ones on banks), you want that type of semi frontal but also semi sideways approach (pretend the ledge/rail is coping, even rolling up from flat ground), open but not parallel, also your shoulders sort of never really move and keep facing the direction you're going. From that point on what you want to do is (whenever the timing and aiming feels right) pop like you would one of those frontside ollies, but actually make sure to level it out (to ensure the tail does clear the top of the ledge), and then very similarly to a shifty ollie you would hold onto (with the intent of bringing it back around) it's very much a hip thing. Like I was saying your shoulders don't move but your front foot guides the board around, levels it and then the back leg takes over (so not too early or you'll bash into the obstacle), applies your tail onto the ledge where you can stand and then for the dismount you just unwind back (or think full frontside ollie the whole time if trying to go to fakie).

Crazy to me how back tails are easier to you, I think that's my first time hearing about someone like that. Hope you get those frontside ones, it's a great trick too when done right and with speed.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #807 on: September 07, 2022, 10:29:43 AM »

Ha, I'm your reverse, I always stick on backside tails. I've slid maybe 10 or 20 in the thousands of times I've tried that trick over the years, and when that happens they usually slide way more than I expect them to and I slip out. The vast majority of times I try that trick I stick and jump off or stick and roll away slowly and disappointed.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

Paperclip20

« Reply #808 on: September 09, 2022, 06:06:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks !
[close]

Frontside tailslide I feel like is mostly a lower body trick and is a bit similar to frontside lipslides on ledges in that you don't want to stomp down on them and mostly want to glide along for a (more or less) quick ride then dismount back to riding away. You know how you approach and scoop frontside ollies on transition (or even basic ones on banks), you want that type of semi frontal but also semi sideways approach (pretend the ledge/rail is coping, even rolling up from flat ground), open but not parallel, also your shoulders sort of never really move and keep facing the direction you're going. From that point on what you want to do is (whenever the timing and aiming feels right) pop like you would one of those frontside ollies, but actually make sure to level it out (to ensure the tail does clear the top of the ledge), and then very similarly to a shifty ollie you would hold onto (with the intent of bringing it back around) it's very much a hip thing. Like I was saying your shoulders don't move but your front foot guides the board around, levels it and then the back leg takes over (so not too early or you'll bash into the obstacle), applies your tail onto the ledge where you can stand and then for the dismount you just unwind back (or think full frontside ollie the whole time if trying to go to fakie).

Crazy to me how back tails are easier to you, I think that's my first time hearing about someone like that. Hope you get those frontside ones, it's a great trick too when done right and with speed.

Any chance you have a good clip as an example, or a pro to search up with a solid one? Worked on them the other day with very little success.
(Obviously I can find a front tail from pretty much any pro but I like seeing peoples suggestions)

Expand Quote
[close]

Ha, I'm your reverse, I always stick on backside tails. I've slid maybe 10 or 20 in the thousands of times I've tried that trick over the years, and when that happens they usually slide way more than I expect them to and I slip out. The vast majority of times I try that trick I stick and jump off or stick and roll away slowly and disappointed.

We all have our weaknesses, I have a friend who's basically the same as you just said. We've back doing bsts/fsts in a line to try and get them better.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #809 on: September 11, 2022, 07:16:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks !
[close]

[close]

Any chance you have a good clip as an example, or a pro to search up with a solid one? Worked on them the other day with very little success.
(Obviously I can find a front tail from pretty much any pro but I like seeing peoples suggestions)

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

We all have our weaknesses, I have a friend who's basically the same as you just said. We've back doing bsts/fsts in a line to try and get them better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1ozQVAD6K4
Fun clip, not super helpful in term of instructions but you can see in a lot of the tailslides they are popping just high enough to get on to the ledge without stomping it in, at 1:11 you'll see that he's popping up while maintaining the forward momentum, going just high enough to get his back foot and tail on the ledge.

https://youtu.be/lIzdYcMKgYc
1:54 - front foot focuses on dragging up slightly and more side ways to level out the board to give you height and the back foot slots the tail into the ledge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwaWcXek4b8
1:33 - front foot does most of the work to give you height, back foot lifts up slightly to get up and on the ledge, slots the tail in
2:32 - too much pressure on the toes
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m