Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47987 times)

Baswell Cerry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #810 on: September 12, 2022, 06:11:14 AM »
How to skate with others  :P
[Applause]

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #811 on: September 15, 2022, 10:58:15 AM »
christ air off the jump ramp

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #812 on: September 15, 2022, 04:49:01 PM »
I gotta get back on my frontside tailslides! I was locking in on a little baby ledge like two years ago and and just kinda bailed on them. Thanks for the inspiration. Doing the least amount possible with my front foot always seemed to help. I actually started by just practicing jumping on my left foot (I’m goofy) from ground to ledge and balancing. Helped a ton.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • the moon rules
« Reply #813 on: September 15, 2022, 07:56:00 PM »
I’m trying to learn backside 360’s. The front foot comes off, gets all the way around, and lands back on my board. My back foot comes off the board sometime after 270 and I think it’s because I stop turning my shoulders at the same time. I have to figure out how to turn them more and hopefully my back foot will stay on
fuck you bama

JJ_Skates

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #814 on: September 18, 2022, 06:56:26 PM »
Hey @Tom, not sure if this will help you massively but this is the best tutorial I've found on BS 360's.
https://youtu.be/D2zq6OacC_U

sacking rails

• Rep: -221
  • sacking rails
« Reply #815 on: September 19, 2022, 05:17:47 AM »
nah just pivot them like everyone else

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #816 on: September 19, 2022, 05:41:11 AM »
Trying to figure out how to grind feebles longer on transition. Feeble to fakie is one of my favorite lip tricks and I can do a few variations of it, but anytime I try to grind longer than like a foot my body just turns and my board goes to rock.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 42
« Reply #817 on: September 19, 2022, 10:42:46 AM »
Trying to land more tre flips. My biggest challenge is catching bolts, lot of times I'm finding myself landing to fast forward with one foot on the nose and the back foot in the middle.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #818 on: October 15, 2022, 06:42:04 PM »
Trying to land more tre flips. My biggest challenge is catching bolts, lot of times I'm finding myself landing to fast forward with one foot on the nose and the back foot in the middle.

In my opinion these look best if you can do it consistently.  Slightly forward. Love that. 
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #819 on: October 15, 2022, 11:29:44 PM »
I can kickflip on flat, banks, over small gaps (manhole), up and down curbs, even down a two stair.

My ultimate life goal (next to a flatground tre and a street rail) is a three stair kickflip. I can ollie a three stair. But I find it almost inconceivable to kickflip one. It‘s like a mental block. I have tried but I will just kick the board away and bail mostly.

I figured out I need to learn faster flips on flat. Also it helps if the run up is ever so slightly downhill so that I can see the steps before popping, because it freaks me out jumping into a „void“ (I know it‘s ridiculous).

Any other tipps for an old man to reach this goal?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #820 on: October 16, 2022, 01:08:44 AM »
I can kickflip on flat, banks, over small gaps (manhole), up and down curbs, even down a two stair.

My ultimate life goal (next to a flatground tre and a street rail) is a three stair kickflip. I can ollie a three stair. But I find it almost inconceivable to kickflip one. It‘s like a mental block. I have tried but I will just kick the board away and bail mostly.

I figured out I need to learn faster flips on flat. Also it helps if the run up is ever so slightly downhill so that I can see the steps before popping, because it freaks me out jumping into a „void“ (I know it‘s ridiculous).

Any other tipps for an old man to reach this goal?

had similar issues in the past, for me personally doing tricks down stairs/gaps/etc was never something I did as a kid, all I ever learned was basic flatground/ledge stuff etc so coming back to skating in my adult years was a bit jarring to even think about doing shit down stairs etc. Judging from your post I think the main issue is probably the gap itself especially since you mention the whole void thing etc. What I think would help would be to just find some sort of straight drop/ledge/etc thats on par height wise with whatever 3 set you want to do it down, and then just hammer kickflips down it until you're 100% comfortable with it. Removing the gap element will probably make it a lot easier to commit to, and then you'll notice that whatever kickflips you're doing off the ledge/drop will more than likely go far enough to clear a 3.

I'll also say that whatever handful of tricks i've threw down a set in my time have pretty much always been skating with others when the hype is high and I doubt they'd have happened solo lol

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #821 on: October 16, 2022, 01:13:37 AM »
@Easy Slider you're kicking the board away because you're skating up to the stairs with the idea that since you've never done the trick there before, then it must be difficult, except the bigger of deal we make about skating the harder it is. The downhill thing you think helps doesn't sound ridiculous at all (being scared of a void I'd say is natural), just I honestly have no idea how you're making work - stairs with a downhill run-up have always been the most difficult type I've found to skate, specifically because then you can't see the spot. I totally know what you mean because we have one particular, otherwise perfect 6 here no one skates because it's built exactly like that - messes everyone up. Personally I think I'd rather take uphill run-up than downhill, I find it that awkward. I think you should embrace the spot and not deny it, though, that rarely works.

Assuming you have a good flick and catch on your kickflips, you should try and look at the 3 you're trying to skate as no different from your usual 2 at all - just consciously blank out on the difference, or maybe in fact consider it from all possible angles including 'well I've done this before, it's a kickflip going down curbs except instead of two curbs there are three but what difference does that make and who's counting'. Technically, the only difference will be slightly more air time after you've caught the trick, which you should know how to handle if you can ollie the set, and so as long as you form the kickflip right then there's absolutely no stopping you but yourself, mentally.

But then forming the kickflip right shouldn't become an obsession either, otherwise your brain will focus on that as your main goal and then bail, resulting on good catch then kick out (or instant miss on the pop as soon as one run-up feels off). Your 'obsession' if anything should be on your ideal rollaway, what you want is ride away past the stairs by the means of a kickflip (which is a maneuver you know how to do) if that makes any sense. Don't micromanage the kickflip part and how it's supposedly challenging, focus on clearing the stairs with one as part of a bigger picture. You have control over when your concentration should start and stop.

Or if your brain really insists on being wired in a way that messes you up on them then maybe you need to get more consistent and fluid at the trick. I know I don't really try anything down stuff that I can't maneuver and control, say, as easily as up a curb, and as a kid I had to get my kickflips to that stage too before I could do good ones down gaps. When I first learned kickflips (pre-Internet), they were completely chicken-legged and mobbed and doing those down anything was never going to work, and so I essentially had to relearn them entirely with the ollie, then late extra flick technique and now those started to work, because they weren't anything special anymore and felt as comfortable as the logical extension of a normal ollie.

Rambling a bit on a rainy Sunday morning, but I hope this helps!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #822 on: October 16, 2022, 03:10:09 AM »
Good advice lads, thx.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #823 on: October 16, 2022, 05:06:15 AM »
  At my park we got a 5 ft bowl and all I use it for is roll in to fly outs (scared of coping tricks).  I want to kf out and I've seen some pros do that.  Penny and Curren Caples I believe.  I've almost got a couple but it's weird.  I want to do slide shuvs out too to but its hard to deal with the coping for that one.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #824 on: October 16, 2022, 06:19:54 AM »
Me try to spel and post more better English ok
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #825 on: October 28, 2022, 11:50:43 AM »
Half cab flips are driving me insane. So close but can't get my back foot back on.

Is the weight on the "flick foot" supposed to be similar to a fakie flip? I think I need to put more weight on that foot.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #826 on: October 28, 2022, 12:12:47 PM »
Half cab flips are driving me insane. So close but can't get my back foot back on.

Is the weight on the "flick foot" supposed to be similar to a fakie flip? I think I need to put more weight on that foot.

Because you turn, you can get away with keeping all the weight on your popping foot a bit more.

But if you want to do a proper, folded one then yes after you pop you have to shift some weight to your flicking foot like with a fakie flip (and have some more weight on that foot when setting up too)

Suangi

• Rep: 9
« Reply #827 on: October 29, 2022, 04:13:29 AM »
Backside 360 no complies. True to the name it does not comply. Almost get too much pop if anything and it is up around my gonads by the time I need to get the front foot back on

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #828 on: October 29, 2022, 04:46:27 AM »
Backside 360 no complies. True to the name it does not comply. Almost get too much pop if anything and it is up around my gonads by the time I need to get the front foot back on

Back foot toes in the center of the tail is key for those. That's how you get the pop and rebound but also what keeps the board flat and under control as you spin around, if you can do backside 360 slides on flatground the momentum and way of control is really similar, same motion except you pop into it a pretty funny way.

Suangi

« Reply #829 on: November 02, 2022, 12:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Back foot toes in the center of the tail is key for those. That's how you get the pop and rebound but also what keeps the board flat and under control as you spin around, if you can do backside 360 slides on flatground the momentum and way of control is really similar, same motion except you pop into it a pretty funny way.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

When you are getting your foot on at what degree are you and where are you pivoting from? Like 270? Assuming you are not doing a full 360 even though that would be incredible.

Think my main issue is committing to the spin. I can 180 but going that bit further to make it legit is a bit of a headfuck for the commitment

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #830 on: November 02, 2022, 08:07:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When you are getting your foot on at what degree are you and where are you pivoting from? Like 270? Assuming you are not doing a full 360 even though that would be incredible.

Think my main issue is committing to the spin. I can 180 but going that bit further to make it legit is a bit of a headfuck for the commitment

The spin is weird at first because it's blind so that's normal, that's why I was saying the 360 flatground slides can help, they get you used to spinning backside 360 in a relatively safe manner so you sort of learn how to carry your body that way, and then it becomes a lot easier to commit as soon as you can form the other similar trick you're trying (also works for backside 360 ollies). You probably don't even need to do a lot of those either; just a few to get the feel for it.

I don't really keep track of the rotation as I'm doing the trick, I mostly set up like I would for a backside heelflip foot placement-wise and then sort of carve and turn into the full 360 as I step off with the front foot and jump in a way that feels ahead of the rotation, then it catches up; it's one of those tricks where sometimes pivoting happens because you catch it around the back truck but you shouldn't exactly count on it, that's mostly a question of timing in the execution when it happens but not a crucial part of the formula, to this day sometimes I'll get the full ones sometimes I'll get more or less pivoted ones, doesn't and shouldn't change much. Ideally your weight should remain centered around your core the whole time and your back toes never cease touching the board or you'll just send it flying (but that's also how some people add flips). That's another thing that's similar to the backside 360 slides, the way it's all back leg and using your hips to spin the whole way around in one fluid motion all the while guiding the board around under you. Maybe try veering frontside a tiny bit before countering that with all the backside action at first, like some people do when learning backside powerslides, that might give you more stability and then it's sort of pop and go.

Upper body needs to be a bit ahead of it all too, as in I'm already looking down on my back truck and diagonally/slightly backwards before I pop, and as soon as I've popped most of my body has already done most of the first 180. That's the trick to 'simplifying' a lot of 360 ollie-based tricks in general - pretend the second half is the only 'real' 180 you need to complete and the first half is essentially a maneuver you do to carve your way into that one. If that even makes sense.

Suangi

« Reply #831 on: November 03, 2022, 01:34:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The spin is weird at first because it's blind so that's normal, that's why I was saying the 360 flatground slides can help, they get you used to spinning backside 360 in a relatively safe manner so you sort of learn how to carry your body that way, and then it becomes a lot easier to commit as soon as you can form the other similar trick you're trying (also works for backside 360 ollies). You probably don't even need to do a lot of those either; just a few to get the feel for it.

I don't really keep track of the rotation as I'm doing the trick, I mostly set up like I would for a backside heelflip foot placement-wise and then sort of carve and turn into the full 360 as I step off with the front foot and jump in a way that feels ahead of the rotation, then it catches up; it's one of those tricks where sometimes pivoting happens because you catch it around the back truck but you shouldn't exactly count on it, that's mostly a question of timing in the execution when it happens but not a crucial part of the formula, to this day sometimes I'll get the full ones sometimes I'll get more or less pivoted ones, doesn't and shouldn't change much. Ideally your weight should remain centered around your core the whole time and your back toes never cease touching the board or you'll just send it flying (but that's also how some people add flips). That's another thing that's similar to the backside 360 slides, the way it's all back leg and using your hips to spin the whole way around in one fluid motion all the while guiding the board around under you. Maybe try veering frontside a tiny bit before countering that with all the backside action at first, like some people do when learning backside powerslides, that might give you more stability and then it's sort of pop and go.

Upper body needs to be a bit ahead of it all too, as in I'm already looking down on my back truck and diagonally/slightly backwards before I pop, and as soon as I've popped most of my body has already done most of the first 180. That's the trick to 'simplifying' a lot of 360 ollie-based tricks in general - pretend the second half is the only 'real' 180 you need to complete and the first half is essentially a maneuver you do to carve your way into that one. If that even makes sense.

Yeah makes perfect sense. Thanks for that. Feel like I'm now well equipped to put some down this weekend.

I'll be like a prime ray barbee in no time

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #832 on: November 03, 2022, 02:28:58 AM »
Alleyoop lipslides like Schroeder did them. Eventually I want to be able to do alleyoop lipslide into smith

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #833 on: November 03, 2022, 03:09:18 AM »

I use the same foot placement as for fakie flips, weight distribution about equal between feet and my body pretty central over the board, I tend to have my shoulders pointing back over the tail a little rather than parallel, a bit of prewind. When I was learning them I focused thinking about doing a fakie flip to 90 degrees, then once I could manage that I added more shoulders in for the whole 180 rotation.

Think of it like a fakie flip is my biggest tip, that should keep your back foot catching the deck, then let your shoulders do the work for the 180, aim for 90 at first maybe then build up the catches til you're getting all the way around.

Do a ton of half cab 180s to warm up.

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #834 on: November 04, 2022, 12:14:57 AM »
I guess I try cab flips once in a blue moon and once and a while actually land on it at the 270 mark.  I'd be happy to get one around but that wouldn't really be 'learning' them.   Frontside ns to regs on a bump high ledge at the park.  Actually prolly just do it to fakie and call that a day. Prolly slide half a foot.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #835 on: November 04, 2022, 01:09:54 AM »
I don't know if that can help but not so long ago I realized the key to cab flips was to not think of the trick as a caballerial plus kickflip but as a halfcab backside flip if that makes sense (honestly I should have figured that out much earlier too). I'm shit at that trick whenever I seriously try it but occasionally I'll pull a good one out of nowhere and that's always after doing a lot of regular stance backside flips, then going for the exact same motion carving into it from fakie and popping from a halfcab. Whereas most every time I think 'caballerial except try and fling the shit out of your board' I naturally end up successful at doing exactly that but not at a cab flip.

Because of how it flips and spins blind, a lot of that trick comes down to absolute backside flip confidence it seems. Both tricks seem to work hand in hand and that's why so many people with good switch backside flips also do the frontside 360 nollie ones. Cab heel is way less scary to commit to because it all unfolds in front of you.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 01:18:58 AM by silhouette »

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #836 on: November 04, 2022, 02:36:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah makes perfect sense. Thanks for that. Feel like I'm now well equipped to put some down this weekend.

I'll be like a prime ray barbee in no time

All great advice from silhouette as usual. I find the trick to these as suggested, is to keep centred around your core, that is be really conscious of it and keeping your body straight vertically, which is true for a lot of tricks anyway.

Another thing that has really helped me with controlling back 360 no complys is the position of my back foot being open, so a diagonal line from the toes on the pocket edge, to the outside of the heel side bolt. If that makes any sense, it helps me load up the pressure rather evenly, and allows a certain amount of nuance to control the pop because you can use the whole foot, and it helps it stick to your foot nicely. 

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #837 on: November 05, 2022, 08:54:37 AM »
Front shoves are such an ongoing battle. I try to pop them straight down and to let them rotate under the front foot...but the board still lands behind me. Heels on at best. When you were learning fs shoves, what made it "click" and be consistent for you?

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 90
« Reply #838 on: November 05, 2022, 09:38:00 AM »
Flipping in board and lipslides on rails without killing my deck.

Terminal

« Reply #839 on: December 05, 2022, 12:27:28 AM »
Trying to learn bs pivot, feeble and 5050 to fakie at the same time (basically the exit is the same for all three tricks). Fucking nemesis tricks, I should have learned them decades ago but never made time. I'm making a few feebles to fakie per session but the success rate is low. My coping wheel just won't roll back in a lot of the time and I hang up on the wheel, no matter how much toeside pressure to lift it. Do tighter trucks help with this? I run pretty loose trucks and wondering if that might be a problem. Any advice appreciated.