Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48435 times)

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #840 on: December 05, 2022, 07:12:24 PM »
Trying to learn bs pivot, feeble and 5050 to fakie at the same time (basically the exit is the same for all three tricks). Fucking nemesis tricks, I should have learned them decades ago but never made time. I'm making a few feebles to fakie per session but the success rate is low. My coping wheel just won't roll back in a lot of the time and I hang up on the wheel, no matter how much toeside pressure to lift it. Do tighter trucks help with this? I run pretty loose trucks and wondering if that might be a problem. Any advice appreciated.
Loose trucks are perfectly fine for feeb fakies. Just make sure you only get your rear heel side wheel just over the coping and point your front toe so your rail hits. It sounds like maybe you’re going to far on top of the coping. 50 fakies just start standing on top of it and lighten up to get it to slide. Try bringing them in regular but slide for a second to get used to the slide. After you get a few just kinda push your rear shoulder out toward the flat(think like your elbowing someone) and you should get them pretty easily.
Hopefully this made sense and helps.

Terminal

« Reply #841 on: December 05, 2022, 10:43:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Trying to learn bs pivot, feeble and 5050 to fakie at the same time (basically the exit is the same for all three tricks). Fucking nemesis tricks, I should have learned them decades ago but never made time. I'm making a few feebles to fakie per session but the success rate is low. My coping wheel just won't roll back in a lot of the time and I hang up on the wheel, no matter how much toeside pressure to lift it. Do tighter trucks help with this? I run pretty loose trucks and wondering if that might be a problem. Any advice appreciated.
[close]
Loose trucks are perfectly fine for feeb fakies. Just make sure you only get your rear heel side wheel just over the coping and point your front toe so your rail hits. It sounds like maybe you’re going to far on top of the coping. 50 fakies just start standing on top of it and lighten up to get it to slide. Try bringing them in regular but slide for a second to get used to the slide. After you get a few just kinda push your rear shoulder out toward the flat(think like your elbowing someone) and you should get them pretty easily.
Hopefully this made sense and helps.
Thanks for the advice Plan9, appreciated, and yes makes perfect sense. Didn't want to tighten trucks for a couple of tricks and throw all others out! Yeah I am getting heelside wheel just over the coping (kingpin over the flat as should be) and pinching the edge of the wheel and truck to hang there textbook every time. I'm stalling, rather than grinding at this stage as want the ride-in exit technique rather than slide-in (hope that makes sense). For feeble, does it help to add a tiny bit of alley-oop, to give some fakie momentum on exit?

I think you're right with my blindside shoulder, it is not open enough. Will work on that today. These tricks are pissing me off, should have learned them decades ago but fakie (and switch) frontside is my natural rotation and kind of stayed in my comfort zone there back in the day (mistake). Again, many thanks!!

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #842 on: December 06, 2022, 04:57:53 AM »
BS heels, definately not as straightforward as BS flips.

Have landed a couple to a stop, need to take them more seriously in the new year...the back of my ankles takes a beating.

Terminal

« Reply #843 on: December 06, 2022, 11:07:22 AM »
BS heels, definately not as straightforward as BS flips.

Have landed a couple to a stop, need to take them more seriously in the new year...the back of my ankles takes a beating.

Damn fine looking trick though.

unregisteredhypercam2

• Rep: 6
« Reply #844 on: December 12, 2022, 04:43:38 AM »
Been landing 360 flip very sketchy but somewhat consistent when lucky. Problem is my balance and shoulder position when landing. Often off balance and put them down but have to hop off to avoid slipping out. Also landing on the nose and breaking boards constantly because of practicing this one trick

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -48
« Reply #845 on: December 16, 2022, 08:38:00 AM »
Been landing 360 flip very sketchy but somewhat consistent when lucky. Problem is my balance and shoulder position when landing. Often off balance and put them down but have to hop off to avoid slipping out. Also landing on the nose and breaking boards constantly because of practicing this one trick

Yeah, definitely gotta sit in the back seat of 3 flips to keep them in front of you.
And don't hunch over like you're picking something off the ground, squat like you're about to sit in an imaginary chair.
And make sure your scoop isn't completely sideways/horizontal, scoop like your testing the water in a swimming pool...if that makes sense...

Aw fuck, I'm the unsolicited advice guy. My bad.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #846 on: December 25, 2022, 01:46:25 PM »
Fs tailslides on ledges. I know it's a trick I should be able to do especially since I have no problem sliding them on transition, but for whatever reason it feels like a completely different trick popping it into a ledge.

Logic

« Reply #847 on: December 25, 2022, 01:59:32 PM »

I managed to learn these tricks by bringing them into a rock-to-fakie a few times just to get used to going fakie, it's a good tip for learning blunts/noseblunts too. The main thing is you want most of the truck you are grinding on to be inside the ramp.

Not sure how much of a difference trucks make though, I ride my back one fairly tight, but the coping you are learning on as well as wheel size can make a big difference. I'm pretty confident bringing most tricks back to fakie but not if the coping protudes too much as I tend to hang up a lot more.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #848 on: December 27, 2022, 04:29:47 PM »
Also trying to learn pivot and other tricks to fakie, and I agree that you should have as little truck pinched on the coping as possible to make re-entry easier and less risky. I have a friend who has these tricks mastered and sometimes his heelside wheel is almost balanced on the coping without any truck, or at least that's what it looks like.

I'm really trying to learn fs airs and back disasters with confidence. I can do both tricks, but I don't have the fundamentals dialed and I take some nasty slams trying them. I suck at grabbing my board when doing fs airs so any tips with that would be welcomed.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Logic

« Reply #849 on: December 28, 2022, 01:15:02 AM »
Also trying to learn pivot and other tricks to fakie, and I agree that you should have as little truck pinched on the coping as possible to make re-entry easier and less risky. I have a friend who has these tricks mastered and sometimes his heelside wheel is almost balanced on the coping without any truck, or at least that's what it looks like.

I'm really trying to learn fs airs and back disasters with confidence. I can do both tricks, but I don't have the fundamentals dialed and I take some nasty slams trying them. I suck at grabbing my board when doing fs airs so any tips with that would be welcomed.

Not sure how well you can fs air, but grabs are rather difficult if you're not getting enough air time. You ideally want to get your fs airs to the point where it almost feels sketchier not to grab them.
My main tip would be tucking your legs up when you ollie as to better float them and clear the coping when you come back in, plus it's easier to grab the board that way too.
Don't be afraid to try sending a few fs indies too if you're comfortable enough running out of transition, you'll typically get a much cleaner ollie going with some speed than say just trying to clear the coping by a few inches.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 767
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #850 on: December 28, 2022, 06:54:46 AM »
Everything/anything on ace trucks

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #851 on: December 30, 2022, 04:38:15 AM »
Nollie flips, in the awkward stage of learning how to consistently flick with my back foot

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #852 on: December 30, 2022, 05:36:48 AM »
Nollie flips, in the awkward stage of learning how to consistently flick with my back foot

Same, my nollie is just starting to get better (less rocket) so I'm telling myself to try just 10 committed ones every session.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1576
« Reply #853 on: December 30, 2022, 10:50:15 PM »
I tried all of 2019 and landed one…..it’s like a whole bag of oranges and I got a single drop….maybe a whole orange tree….

Logic

« Reply #854 on: December 31, 2022, 01:46:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same, my nollie is just starting to get better (less rocket) so I'm telling myself to try just 10 committed ones every session.

The one trick I've always wanted. Spent ages just practicing the motions with flicking them and doing nollies every session, now just like I when I first tried learning kickflips it's jumping over the board I struggle with.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #855 on: December 31, 2022, 07:59:25 PM »
Nollie flip is one of the most fun tricks in skating but felt unattainable for years until I found out the secret, now they're basically easier than kickflips on flat and feel totally like you can only dream they do before you get them down, so I'd really recommend putting in the effort. The key thing to know is it doesn't matter so much how good your flatground nollies are (of course if you can tweak flatground nollies then nollie flips should come easy), what matters is how good they are up curbs and down stuff or just basically how good you are at nose-based tricks in general including bonking off cracks (actually especially bonking off cracks) and possibly stuff like nosebonks and k bonks. You don't want to nollie and try and throw an awkward kick, what you want control over is that nudging of the nose ahead of you and the corresponding backwards weight transfer. How I set up is big toe on my front foot goes in the center of the nose at an angle and in a position where it feels ready to shoot it ahead on me as I jump towards the tail (keeping shoulders parallel). Back foot actually goes pretty far back (in my case I think literally on the bolts) where you feel like you can comfortably sit over it before you pop and not lose control. It doesn't matter where or at what angle as long as it feels lodged inside the concave and ready to react to the pop. A tip I usually give to people for switch/nollie flips is to pretend they only exist on a 2D axis and can only use a straight line going through the middle of the board from nose to tail to rest their toes on, since that's where the pressure points are and so where you should be putting them anyway. From that position on it's all in the jump. Again it feels kind of like a leaping sidestep in the direction of the tail and you don't kick out, you focus on flicking your ankle at the apex of the nollie which means if anything you extend your leg but never throw it. Hope everyone who still doesn't have them gets those down in 2023.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #856 on: December 31, 2022, 10:23:11 PM »
Nollie flip is one of the most fun tricks in skating but felt unattainable for years until I found out the secret, now they're basically easier than kickflips on flat and feel totally like you can only dream they do before you get them down, so I'd really recommend putting in the effort.

The key thing to know is it doesn't matter so much how good your flatground nollies are (of course if you can tweak flatground nollies then nollie flips should come easy), what matters is how good they are up curbs and down stuff or just basically how good you are at nose-based tricks in general including bonking off cracks (actually especially bonking off cracks) and possibly stuff like nosebonks and k bonks.

You don't want to nollie and try and throw an awkward kick, what you want control over is that nudging of the nose ahead of you and the corresponding backwards weight transfer. How I set up is big toe on my front foot goes in the center of the nose at an angle and in a position where it feels ready to shoot it ahead on me as I jump towards the tail (keeping shoulders parallel).

Back foot actually goes pretty far back (in my case I think literally on the bolts) where you feel like you can comfortably sit over it before you pop and not lose control. It doesn't matter where or at what angle as long as it feels lodged inside the concave and ready to react to the pop.

A tip I usually give to people for switch/nollie flips is to pretend they only exist on a 2D axis and can only use a straight line going through the middle of the board from nose to tail to rest their toes on, since that's where the pressure points are and so where you should be putting them anyway. From that position on it's all in the jump.

Again it feels kind of like a leaping sidestep in the direction of the tail and you don't kick out, you focus on flicking your ankle at the apex of the nollie which means if anything you extend your leg but never throw it.

Hope everyone who still doesn't have them gets those down in 2023.

Added spaces between the texts so I can bookmark this comment and come back to it again.

Good insight as always @silhouette, it sounds logical to think of it as a Nollie with a Switch Flip, but your method kind of makes sense.

Like your Nollie is supposed to pop the board out and forward ahead of you with your back foot extending behind you to contact the concave of the tail?

Putting more effort into Nollie tricks this year, aside from Nollie Flip I want to get my 180s as comfortable as Fakie variations and more BS Nollie into tricks (Nollie BS 5-0 / Lipslide). The dream would be Nollie Crooked Grind and Noseslide, it haunts me that I missed out that "beginner trick" years ago.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #857 on: December 31, 2022, 10:31:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Nollie flip is one of the most fun tricks in skating but felt unattainable for years until I found out the secret, now they're basically easier than kickflips on flat and feel totally like you can only dream they do before you get them down, so I'd really recommend putting in the effort.

The key thing to know is it doesn't matter so much how good your flatground nollies are (of course if you can tweak flatground nollies then nollie flips should come easy), what matters is how good they are up curbs and down stuff or just basically how good you are at nose-based tricks in general including bonking off cracks (actually especially bonking off cracks) and possibly stuff like nosebonks and k bonks.

You don't want to nollie and try and throw an awkward kick, what you want control over is that nudging of the nose ahead of you and the corresponding backwards weight transfer. How I set up is big toe on my front foot goes in the center of the nose at an angle and in a position where it feels ready to shoot it ahead on me as I jump towards the tail (keeping shoulders parallel).

Back foot actually goes pretty far back (in my case I think literally on the bolts) where you feel like you can comfortably sit over it before you pop and not lose control. It doesn't matter where or at what angle as long as it feels lodged inside the concave and ready to react to the pop.

A tip I usually give to people for switch/nollie flips is to pretend they only exist on a 2D axis and can only use a straight line going through the middle of the board from nose to tail to rest their toes on, since that's where the pressure points are and so where you should be putting them anyway. From that position on it's all in the jump.

Again it feels kind of like a leaping sidestep in the direction of the tail and you don't kick out, you focus on flicking your ankle at the apex of the nollie which means if anything you extend your leg but never throw it.

Hope everyone who still doesn't have them gets those down in 2023.
[close]

Added spaces between the texts so I can bookmark this comment and come back to it again.

Good insight as always @silhouette, it sounds logical to think of it as a Nollie with a Switch Flip, but your method kind of makes sense.

Like your Nollie is supposed to pop the board out and forward ahead of you with your back foot extending behind you to contact the concave of the tail?

Putting more effort into Nollie tricks this year, aside from Nollie Flip I want to get my 180s as comfortable as Fakie variations and more BS Nollie into tricks (Nollie BS 5-0 / Lipslide). The dream would be Nollie Crooked Grind and Noseslide, it haunts me that I missed out that "beginner trick" years ago.

With nollie and fakie flips you don't have to flick out as much since you push/pull the nose/tail a bit ahead which brings the corner where you flick closer to your flicking foot. That being said you still have to flick properly but dont have to extend leg out as far

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #858 on: January 01, 2023, 08:49:35 PM »
A straight nollie heelflip, I cant keep it under me. It either wants to nollie varial heel or nollie shuv, annoying.
I did your mom

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
« Reply #859 on: January 21, 2023, 03:48:54 PM »
Fakie front shuvs. Trying to pop them nicely but man…I can’t see my board so they are mad hard for me.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
« Reply #860 on: January 21, 2023, 04:56:56 PM »
Since crooked grind nollie flips are really hard for me and I just had the revelation that switch (bs) crooks are easy as hell, I need to learn switch crook fakie flips asap

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
« Reply #861 on: January 22, 2023, 08:43:18 PM »
Fs tailslides on ledges. I know it's a trick I should be able to do especially since I have no problem sliding them on transition, but for whatever reason it feels like a completely different trick popping it into a ledge.
I’m trying to learn these too after years of putting it off, but on curbs instead of ledges. And I can’t do them on transition either. My main problem right now is actually locking in and holding one for longer than a split second. I got the motion of popping and turning over the curb I think.

Also trying to learn bs flips. Got a couple landed at a stop and now I really want to roll away from them. I think I’m not turning my shoulders enough and getting a full clean 180.

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 94
« Reply #862 on: January 22, 2023, 09:42:27 PM »
Proper backside disasters, I can “slide” into them but I know it’s not what I’m going for at all

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #863 on: January 23, 2023, 07:02:53 AM »
Proper backside disasters, I can “slide” into them but I know it’s not what I’m going for at all

Pop/scoop earlier than you'd think.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #864 on: January 23, 2023, 08:36:30 AM »
i can't for the stupid ass life of me figure out smith's both front and back on ledges

been skating for 20+ years and it's the only grind i've never been able to make sweet passionate love to

i've heard to treat them like dipped 5-0's but that makes no sense to me

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #865 on: January 23, 2023, 09:17:23 PM »
i can't for the stupid ass life of me figure out smith's both front and back on ledges

been skating for 20+ years and it's the only grind i've never been able to make sweet passionate love to

Same here, I never get enough dip on my front truck. I have slightly better success with doing them FS and the difference for me is locking your back truck onto the ledge / rail in the already dipped / Smith position.

I stopped thinking of them as trying to lock a 5-0 (rocketing your ollie) then dipping my front truck down - it always ends up sticking on the Smith of doing it undipped. Thinking of them like a lipslide (your back truck lapping over, front truck dipped slightly) helped, and more speed.

Easier on a taller ledge, too low and you can't get a solid pop and tweak downwards.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #866 on: January 23, 2023, 11:58:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Same here, I never get enough dip on my front truck. I have slightly better success with doing them FS and the difference for me is locking your back truck onto the ledge / rail in the already dipped / Smith position.

I stopped thinking of them as trying to lock a 5-0 (rocketing your ollie) then dipping my front truck down - it always ends up sticking on the Smith of doing it undipped. Thinking of them like a lipslide (your back truck lapping over, front truck dipped slightly) helped, and more speed.

Easier on a taller ledge, too low and you can't get a solid pop and tweak downwards.

Its much more like a 5050 or lipslide kinda thing than a 5-0. 5-0 you rocket the ollie but 5050 and lipslide you try to level it out as soon as possible. Push the board in front of you and try and ollie 'into' the grind, not 'onto' the grind.

For backside ones it helps to almost ollie lower than you would for a 5050 on the same ledge, and try get the back truck on by contorting your body, sucking your back foot up while boning the nose of your board down and pushing the board ahead of you. Helps prevent slamming into it.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #867 on: January 25, 2023, 08:07:31 AM »
Relearning tailslides and bs 180 nosegrinds. And I will finally learn crooked grinds in 2023!

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #868 on: January 25, 2023, 01:15:16 PM »
Trying to get better fakie kickflips, any tipps?
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

switchfakie

« Reply #869 on: January 25, 2023, 07:03:34 PM »
bs tail