Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47970 times)

scab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #870 on: January 26, 2023, 05:35:12 AM »
Trying to get better fakie kickflips, any tipps?

Probably depends on what exactly you're trying to imrove upon. The one thing I'm personally thinking of the most is to pop out in front of me and not just straight down to keep the board under my feet.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #871 on: January 26, 2023, 05:59:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i can't for the stupid ass life of me figure out smith's both front and back on ledges

been skating for 20+ years and it's the only grind i've never been able to make sweet passionate love to

i've heard to treat them like dipped 5-0's but that makes no sense to me
[close]

Same here, I never get enough dip on my front truck. I have slightly better success with doing them FS and the difference for me is locking your back truck onto the ledge / rail in the already dipped / Smith position.

I stopped thinking of them as trying to lock a 5-0 (rocketing your ollie) then dipping my front truck down - it always ends up sticking on the Smith of doing it undipped. Thinking of them like a lipslide (your back truck lapping over, front truck dipped slightly) helped, and more speed.

Easier on a taller ledge, too low and you can't get a solid pop and tweak downwards.
[close]

Its much more like a 5050 or lipslide kinda thing than a 5-0. 5-0 you rocket the ollie but 5050 and lipslide you try to level it out as soon as possible. Push the board in front of you and try and ollie 'into' the grind, not 'onto' the grind.

For backside ones it helps to almost ollie lower than you would for a 5050 on the same ledge, and try get the back truck on by contorting your body, sucking your back foot up while boning the nose of your board down and pushing the board ahead of you. Helps prevent slamming into it.

I'm also trying to learn smiths on ledges and this sounds like good advice. I can do them on transition and I can ollie and stall into them on unwaxed ledges, but anytime I try to grind I just completely nose dive the board because I think I'm subconsciously olling "onto" it as you put it.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #872 on: January 26, 2023, 08:00:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
i can't for the stupid ass life of me figure out smith's both front and back on ledges

been skating for 20+ years and it's the only grind i've never been able to make sweet passionate love to

[close]

Same here, I never get enough dip on my front truck. I have slightly better success with doing them FS and the difference for me is locking your back truck onto the ledge / rail in the already dipped / Smith position.

I stopped thinking of them as trying to lock a 5-0 (rocketing your ollie) then dipping my front truck down - it always ends up sticking on the Smith of doing it undipped. Thinking of them like a lipslide (your back truck lapping over, front truck dipped slightly) helped, and more speed.

Easier on a taller ledge, too low and you can't get a solid pop and tweak downwards.
[close]

Its much more like a 5050 or lipslide kinda thing than a 5-0. 5-0 you rocket the ollie but 5050 and lipslide you try to level it out as soon as possible. Push the board in front of you and try and ollie 'into' the grind, not 'onto' the grind.

For backside ones it helps to almost ollie lower than you would for a 5050 on the same ledge, and try get the back truck on by contorting your body, sucking your back foot up while boning the nose of your board down and pushing the board ahead of you. Helps prevent slamming into it.
[close]

I'm also trying to learn smiths on ledges and this sounds like good advice. I can do them on transition and I can ollie and stall into them on unwaxed ledges, but anytime I try to grind I just completely nose dive the board because I think I'm subconsciously olling "onto" it as you put it.

welp, looks like we're gonna have to learn these mf's together dude, expect a text this weekend

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #873 on: January 26, 2023, 09:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ledge smith grind is a particularly weird concept, I feel like it takes a lot of trying them wrong until just the basic logic of how the trick works really clicks (almost by accident). Trick only draws comparison to five-o's because of the back truck action but that's really a reach for a common denominator (although it does work for some to start there), what you need to know is mostly how to aim with your back truck (not just land on it) and that's when confidence in lipslides becomes more important. It's key to learn how to use the hips to drive the back truck onto that edge and only then you can comfortably sit on that back leg all the while retaining momentum. Using more of your body to try and achieve the position will only turn you way from the trick, resulting in the nosedive. The shoulders have to remain relatively parallel; trick by design looks off axis but it shouldn't feel off axis.

If you're doing the smith stalls on ledges already I'd say you're almost there, but only if you can comfortably stabilize and 'rock' them, leaning your board against the edge of the ledge so that it's in contact with it and you're not just balancing off the truck (which is tempting logic at first coming from five-o's). That is the controllable posture you want to achieve (otherwise you'll get those 'smith grinds' that look like they slip out of position as soon as locked in), and you do that by just bringing your legs up on your ollie so that you're above the ledge and then prolonging the motion into the pose with your front leg pushing through the trick as you sit back. Emphasis on sitting back as that's really how it feels doing that trick correctly, you want to be standing firm on that back leg with nearly all your weight on top of the back truck, whilst everything past your back bolts only exists for your front foot to guide down (no weight).

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #874 on: January 26, 2023, 10:02:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

welp, looks like we're gonna have to learn these mf's together dude, expect a text this weekend

I'm currently buried under a winter wonderland so it might be a minute before I can try utilizing his and @silhouette's advice, but dang it if I'm not gonna try!

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #875 on: January 26, 2023, 05:37:39 PM »
fs tailslides
tre flips
heelflips
nollie flips
fs feebles

fucking pisses me off so bad because i haven't learned anything for so long. i just get mad all the time and i should probably take a break but i don't want to lose the shit i do have. you know??
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #876 on: January 26, 2023, 11:06:34 PM »
fs tailslides
tre flips
heelflips
nollie flips
fs feebles

fucking pisses me off so bad because i haven't learned anything for so long. i just get mad all the time and i should probably take a break but i don't want to lose the shit i do have. you know??

It takes a long time sucking at tricks you really want to learn to get somewhat good/consistent at them. I usually have to drive myself crazy for a week or so (consistent skating, could take months if im busy with life) trying to get more comfortable with a trick before I learn it.

Just keep chipping away. If you dont get as far as you want, you'll atleast get somewhere. I remember as a kid I wanted to learn impossibles so bad but the technique escaped me; i would practice them on grass for an hour, do no comply impossibles, just anything possible to learn them. Now theyre my go-to warmup trick but that shit took years, like 5 years to be able to come back to skating after a month and still be able to impossible up a curb first or second try. Rn im trying to get nollie heels and switch heels and other tricks solid but they are so complex and different from regular shit/shit im used to. Im seeing awkward progress but I wish it was as fast as when i was a kid. Learning a trick i really want from start to finish in one summer seems a bit unlikely now.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #877 on: January 26, 2023, 11:09:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably depends on what exactly you're trying to imrove upon. The one thing I'm personally thinking of the most is to pop out in front of me and not just straight down to keep the board under my feet.

Cheers. I am trying to get the tail off the ground/level them out. So far they all rocket.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #878 on: January 26, 2023, 11:09:53 PM »
right now im trying to learn nollie inward heels. I can land like 1/10 stationary but rolling forward adds a lot of unwanted complexity. The main problem i get is it never flips completely, always halfway. To mitigate that i try my hardest to kick a nollie heel off the nose hard as fuck but yeah still shitty. doesnt help that my regular nollie heels are low as fuck like 50% of the time so maybe i should just be working on that more first

Still kinda proud of landing some. Never thought id learn these. I find that doing a lot of well-popped nollie shuvs before trying them helps figure out the timing of when to flick best. Unsurpisingly that works a lot for nollie heels too; I always have way better nollie heels if i spend some time practicing high/boned nollies before.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2023, 11:12:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Cheers. I am trying to get the tail off the ground/level them out. So far they all rocket.

Fakie flips for some reason feel way less fragile compared to kickflips. It feels like when im popping fakie i can kick straight off the nose (like an ollie/super boned kickflip) and its way less prone to fucking up. Now I cant fakie flip unless a lot of my foot is on the board and i flick really hard and forward, like a ninja kick, but they always end up really nice-looking and consistent because i feel like the hard kick/flick levels out the aggressive tension-filled fakie pop.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #880 on: January 27, 2023, 03:01:23 AM »
^Seconding this. In my experience rocketing happens most often when the flick goes off to the side more so than through the nose. I couldn't flick off the nose for a couple of months late last year due to a sprained ankle and all my kickflips came out rocketed. Now that my ankle has healed up and I'm back to flicking through the nose they're leveled out again.

That being said, I'm struggling mightily to use that same approach for switch and nollie flips. Those always dolphin flip for me. I'm guessing it's because I inadvertently kick down on the nose/tail rather than flick through it. That's what I get for neglecting switch for all of my skate life up to this point.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #881 on: January 27, 2023, 03:05:11 AM »
right now im trying to learn nollie inward heels. I can land like 1/10 stationary but rolling forward adds a lot of unwanted complexity. The main problem i get is it never flips completely, always halfway. To mitigate that i try my hardest to kick a nollie heel off the nose hard as fuck but yeah still shitty. doesnt help that my regular nollie heels are low as fuck like 50% of the time so maybe i should just be working on that more first

Still kinda proud of landing some. Never thought id learn these. I find that doing a lot of well-popped nollie shuvs before trying them helps figure out the timing of when to flick best. Unsurpisingly that works a lot for nollie heels too; I always have way better nollie heels if i spend some time practicing high/boned nollies before.

I can nollie inward pretty easily but my nollie heel is dog shit. The flick is pretty different. I'm bad at flicking heelflips straight in general but the nollie/switch inward is definitely more of a donkey kick straight forwards rather than a flick off the side. You also may want to flick a second later than you would for a nollie heel, to give the board some time to do turn about 45 degrees first so the straight forward donkey kick kinda still catches the pocket of the board a lil

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #882 on: January 29, 2023, 11:12:19 AM »
Got me my first back tail and fs nose to regular in the last two weeks. Finally learning to keep my shoulders parallel to ledges while sliding backwards.

The back tail was a hail Mary at first but on the nice low indoor skatepark Ledge, I slid it briefly and almost came out regular first try. I had been doing a bunch of back 50s prior to it, and thought about every step of that trick just up until I was in the air over the ledge (per my friend's advice). From there I tweaked everything below the waist backside and kept my shoulders parallel as possible to come off the end going forward. Very good fucking feeling, even if the slide was only as long as a large original Italian sub sandwich from Jersey Mike's served Mike's Way add sweet peppers
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Pbn_jake

• Rep: 30
« Reply #883 on: January 29, 2023, 01:55:27 PM »
Proper backside disasters, I can “slide” into them but I know it’s not what I’m going for at all

What is your footing like?

Pbn_jake

« Reply #884 on: January 29, 2023, 02:12:23 PM »
Switch 360 flips.

The movement is there, I’ll one foot fully rotated/flipped ones and when I commit to putting both feet on it under flips or under rotates. Help.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #885 on: January 29, 2023, 07:20:13 PM »
Got me my first back tail and fs nose to regular in the last two weeks. Finally learning to keep my shoulders parallel to ledges while sliding backwards.

The back tail was a hail Mary at first but on the nice low indoor skatepark Ledge, I slid it briefly and almost came out regular first try. I had been doing a bunch of back 50s prior to it, and thought about every step of that trick just up until I was in the air over the ledge (per my friend's advice). From there I tweaked everything below the waist backside and kept my shoulders parallel as possible to come off the end going forward. Very good fucking feeling, even if the slide was only as long as a large original Italian sub sandwich from Jersey Mike's served Mike's Way add sweet peppers

Back tail is the best slide trick every, favorite trick I've learned over the past 3 years.

Nollie Heels - just hucking out 10-20 every session, figuring out the weight distribution, getting fewer credit cards
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Pbn_jake

« Reply #886 on: January 29, 2023, 09:56:06 PM »

Keep your shoulders in like nollie 180 position, your popping foot in nollie shove and your flicking foot in nollie heel

Pbn_jake

« Reply #887 on: January 29, 2023, 09:57:36 PM »
Also seconding the donkey kick

Aquatic Dinosaur

• Rep: 90
« Reply #888 on: February 28, 2023, 09:35:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Keep your shoulders in like nollie 180 position, your popping foot in nollie shove and your flicking foot in nollie heel

Try them on a bank.  I could always do them occasionally on flat but on banks it just works. 

Trying to improve carving switch with the hope of grinding tall transition switch in the future.  It’s a lazy way to have fun and feel accomplished

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #889 on: March 02, 2023, 07:52:40 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been asked but I'm not sure how to search for the trick either.

Backside 180 Switch Front Crook. I've also seen this called Gallant grind on Instagram.

I more associate with this, being one of my favorite photos. I've tried it on a similar ledge (step up and from over the top rather than from the side). The ledge around a ~3.5' foot drop so I'm mostly afraid of putting all of the pressure to try to pinch. The worst I can think of is sticking immediately and falling backwards while moving forward. I think that I need to grind the whole thing (~4') so I think I'd have to go to fakie. I also imagine that I could fake one by pinching one on a dry ledge and falling out back to regular, but not really grinding. The times I've gotten closest, I just shoot it forward and go fakie, but my torso sort of parallel to the ground and the legs and board shoot out forward.

I DM'ed Ryan Gallant but no answer. It looks like got his full foot on the tail. Trucks look looser too. Loose trucks and mids bushings?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPrjJfZBOCL/?hl=en

If anyone has an idea, please @ me or I will probably forget or not see this.

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #890 on: March 04, 2023, 05:14:38 PM »
ollie

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #891 on: March 05, 2023, 04:47:16 AM »
Spent some time on frontside bluntslides on (low) curbs yesterday and I feel like I can read them a lot better now (I used to cheat them and kind of booger slide). You really want to approach at an angle (at first) to make sure you lock in with the edge of the obstacle dead set against the truck and wheels, the approach and motion should really feel like you're in a miniramp and getting ready to slap one onto coping and back foot has to be lodged in the right spot for the future dismount already before you even first pop your tail to get into the trick. Once you can consistently safely just lock into the position like that (for now doesn't matter if you can't dismount) then all the rest consists in trusting and committing with mostly your lower body, upper body shouldn't matter if one already is familiar with front board, on the other hand everything is into insisting and pushing down on the lock in. When done right then end of curb/ledge dismount just kind of happens. Back foot placement and especially angling as early as before even popping into the trick seems to secure a lot, once that is worked out the rest is just dumb guts. Going to try mid ledge/curb dismount sometime, or to fakie.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 04:54:46 AM by silhouette »

Ayjerry

• Rep: 4
« Reply #892 on: March 08, 2023, 11:18:20 AM »
Just got back into skating a couple months ago at 31 years old. I skated for about 10 years, but hadn’t been on a board since my mid teens. I got back into it fairly quickly. Got my Ollie’s back, fs180, fakie ollie, fakie 180 fs & bs. Fakie shuvs, pop shuvs. All came back to me within the first 5-6 sessions. Fs shove almost back and for some reason bs180 is nowhere close.

Then I got to working on getting my heelflip back. Landed my first one in a game of skate which was so satisfying. I landed a bunch more that session and the following, but still missed countless attempts, maybe landing 1/10 or so. Landed primo a few times and it’s totally messing with my head and I haven’t landed one in 2 or 3 sessions.

I had pop shove it’s on lock. I would practice them but just continuously popping them one after another. Caught one in a weird way and bit ass. Now I am missing them like crazy, and they look super sketch.

And now my fakie Ollie is higher crisper and straighter than my reg Ollie. I spent some time today working on keeping my Ollie straight. If I pop lightly and really focus on keeping my shoulders square I’m fine. But if I’m trying to get some height I always turn fs which sucks cuz I spent a lot of time working thru that when I was younger and first started.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #893 on: March 09, 2023, 02:02:15 PM »
Sw front shuvs
Fakie fs flips. I know it‘s not called like that but anyway I got quite close today.
why come?

switchfakie

« Reply #894 on: March 11, 2023, 08:18:44 PM »
get my disasters properly decked out so i pump when coming out

elegant_fox

« Reply #895 on: March 13, 2023, 06:36:42 AM »
Frontside airs, I think one of my issues is I've been trying them on mellow 6ft quarters so there's no vert to pop out of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuzk-c8W-8

This tutorial had some good tips about starting lower and working up to above the coping. I can grab a carve when going frontside, but trying to pull off the wall tosses me off balance. When I've tried bonking the rear wheels off, I tend to not rotate enough come back in and ride away. The next smallest section of the park is 8" with some vert to it, so that might be the section I need to move to.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #896 on: March 13, 2023, 07:54:26 AM »
Fakie fs flips. I know it‘s not called like that but anyway I got quite close today.

Been working on these a bit lately along with fakie FS heels, for whatever reason i struggle with that rotation in fakie when it comes to flips. I find opening my shoulders up very wide and swinging my leading arm back helps a bit, and also making sure my flicking foot is travelling in the direction i want the board to go as well. Almost like dragging/leading it through into the 180. I've been focusing on trying to get 90 degrees rotation and landed, then gradually opening it up to 130ish, then trying for the fully popped 180. non of this landing and pivoting BS lol.

They're a damn sight harder than half cab flips, for me at least.

I had a bit of a play with fakie bigflips on the weekend, learnt them a couple years ago, but only landed one or two then never did them again... had a lot more success this time around, treating it more like an exaggerated half cab flip/fakie varial, than a bigspin with a flip.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #897 on: March 13, 2023, 08:00:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Been working on these a bit lately along with fakie FS heels, for whatever reason i struggle with that rotation in fakie when it comes to flips. I find opening my shoulders up very wide and swinging my leading arm back helps a bit, and also making sure my flicking foot is travelling in the direction i want the board to go as well. Almost like dragging/leading it through into the 180. I've been focusing on trying to get 90 degrees rotation and landed, then gradually opening it up to 130ish, then trying for the fully popped 180. non of this landing and pivoting BS lol.

They're a damn sight harder than half cab flips, for me at least.

I had a bit of a play with fakie bigflips on the weekend, learnt them a couple years ago, but only landed one or two then never did them again... had a lot more success this time around, treating it more like an exaggerated half cab flip/fakie varial, than a bigspin with a flip.

I had the fakie fs flips back in the day that's why I hope there will be some muscle memory left. I do them through the legs tho, 90s style.
why come?

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #898 on: March 13, 2023, 08:02:07 AM »
I feel you, I had fakie FS heels dialled when I was younger, but can't seem to replicate them now. Learned half cab heels instead so tend to do those.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #899 on: March 16, 2023, 06:02:31 AM »
Does anyone have tips or pointers on flips out of front tailslides, or atleast that position as I'm trying them out of switch slappy noseslide which I'm far more comfortable with as opposed to tailslides. The issues I run into is either A) I jump too far forward and land on the nose (which I guess means I should jump less) or B) I start to turn when I go for the flip out but my body underrotates compared to the board (probably due to the fact I learned 270 shoves out first so I became used to turning out that way). Some clips below of tryna film one the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0LcTUDxHwk