Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 48436 times)

Easy Slider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #900 on: March 16, 2023, 06:57:54 AM »
I feel you, I had fakie FS heels dialled when I was younger, but can't seem to replicate them now. Learned half cab heels instead so tend to do those.

Got closer to the fakie fs flip today. It's so close, I can feel it. On the other hand I thought the same for tre flips for over a year yet never got one.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #901 on: March 16, 2023, 10:32:55 AM »
Does anyone have tips or pointers on flips out of front tailslides, or atleast that position as I'm trying them out of switch slappy noseslide which I'm far more comfortable with as opposed to tailslides. The issues I run into is either A) I jump too far forward and land on the nose (which I guess means I should jump less) or B) I start to turn when I go for the flip out but my body underrotates compared to the board (probably due to the fact I learned 270 shoves out first so I became used to turning out that way). Some clips below of tryna film one the other day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0LcTUDxHwk

I'm not going to even talk about flip outs 'cause I'm no where near them but I have been hammering away at FS tails and the one thing I've noticed with people that have FS/BS tails 100% on lock is that both feet are level and only slide on the curve of the tail and not the flat.  Less resistance and all that, but it also sets them up for the pop out and barely dip before they pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVkTZ9c8vvo

Good example (SSBS tails but shows what I'm talking about).  See 4:45 for the scrape mark evidence.  Looks like he never slides on the flat of the tail.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:40:28 AM by wrinkletusk »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #902 on: March 16, 2023, 04:26:17 PM »
Does anyone have tips or pointers on flips out of front tailslides, or atleast that position as I'm trying them out of switch slappy noseslide which I'm far more comfortable with as opposed to tailslides. The issues I run into is either A) I jump too far forward and land on the nose (which I guess means I should jump less) or B) I start to turn when I go for the flip out but my body underrotates compared to the board (probably due to the fact I learned 270 shoves out first so I became used to turning out that way). Some clips below of tryna film one the other day

You want to know a funny thing, from my perspective watching those repeated attempts I don't think you're doing anything that would be technically wrong at all. What it does look like you're battling is accepting the idea that you're in fact able, not just of doing the trick, but also of learning how to reproduce it every time. Mostly appears to be a mental thing here on those bails and oftentimes that has to do with one's process of readjusting their focus as they realize their own latent capabilities before they actually get to develop and apply them.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #903 on: March 22, 2023, 03:07:55 PM »
Trying to get half decent inverts. I've got the general movement down, but I always over-rotate into fakie. Which is cool in its own regard, but I can't go back in forward for the life of me. Getting stalled out is another matter, I know a steeper/taller ramp would be beneficial but flipping over that high up gets sketch real quick.

Any one got a tip on getting these better? I had a bit of a lightbulb moment when I caught a bit of air before I planted the hand, but that has been hard to duplicate. I watch trick tips on it every so often but I feel like there's something that I'm not getting
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #904 on: March 22, 2023, 08:51:37 PM »

Got an entire list of tricks I’m working on and I’m confident on most of them but trying to learn polejam 50s on these is the one where I’m completely mentally blocked. I’m pretty sure all I need to to do is jam it and hope for the best but I’m terrified for some reason even though I’m pretty sure nothing can go wrong if I fuck it up

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #905 on: March 26, 2023, 06:41:55 AM »

My knowledge is coming from tailslide kickflip out to fakie but based on the kid that does noseslide flip out at the park, it looks like the principles are similar. Here's my tips, some may apply more than others.

Ollie into the trick with your feet, particularly your front foot, in the flip position. Adjusting on the ledge leaves a greater chance for fucking up your slide. Unless you're just that graceful maybe. Ollieing with my back foot more on the board means it lands on the ledge, in the slide, with better leverage for the pop out.

Your shoulders dictate the direction. Landing shoulders squared with the tails for the initial slide but pointing your lead shoulder as you get ready to flip out. For flipping out to fakie I start opening up my shoulders on the ledge, as in orient my upper body towards the nose. The opposite is true for landing to regular.

Go for the flip with momentum from the slide, don't wait until you run out of speed at the end. That momentum will carry the board with you as you flip out. The whole thing should be a fluid motion. It looks better and actually makes it easier, even if the timing is harder to grasp at first.

It seems like you have the flick pretty good, but either way, an exaggerated point for flick helped me a lot. Toes towards the nose, closer to the side of the board, further back from the bolts

Also, give it time. Some people maybe got flip outs easy but it took me a year and a half and focused, labored sessions to start really getting them.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

vicious cycle

• Rep: 165
« Reply #906 on: March 26, 2023, 08:50:39 AM »
Sw front shuvs
Fakie fs flips. I know it‘s not called like that but anyway I got quite close today.
I relearned "Fakie FS flips" last year.  A good tip from a friend helped me to keep them under me. He watch me trying them over a small hip. I used to pop them with my back foot from the heel side of the tail. He told me to pop more from the toe side. So back foot more to the toe side of the tail witch makes total sense now thinking about it.. This way they stay more under me. Also, going in a small curve before I pop made the rotation a little bit easier on flat too.

All I do at the moment is Kickflips. They come and go. Pretty frustrating. I mean I had them on lock for almost two years. One day I woke up and they sayed goodbye.
But only on flat it seems. I still can do them on banks. Fakieflips also work. 360Flips work too, it's my most consistent fliptrick. But I miss my good old boy straight kickflip. I'm almost at a point where I think about to let go. It just makes me sad.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #907 on: March 26, 2023, 12:27:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Sw front shuvs
Fakie fs flips. I know it‘s not called like that but anyway I got quite close today.
[close]
I relearned "Fakie FS flips" last year.  A good tip from a friend helped me to keep them under me. He watch me trying them over a small hip. I used to pop them with my back foot from the heel side of the tail. He told me to pop more from the toe side. So back foot more to the toe side of the tail witch makes total sense now thinking about it.. This way they stay more under me. Also, going in a small curve before I pop made the rotation a little bit easier on flat too.

All I do at the moment is Kickflips. They come and go. Pretty frustrating. I mean I had them on lock for almost two years. One day I woke up and they sayed goodbye.
But only on flat it seems. I still can do them on banks. Fakieflips also work. 360Flips work too, it's my most consistent fliptrick. But I miss my good old boy straight kickflip. I'm almost at a point where I think about to let go. It just makes me sad.

Cheers bruh, I’ll have to try this.

Kickflips can be frustrating. Mine are ugly and rocketing on flat and I am more comfortable doing them over / down small obstacles like a manhole cover or curb for some reason.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #908 on: March 28, 2023, 11:31:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sw front shuvs
[close]

[close]

Kickflips can be frustrating. Mine are ugly and rocketing on flat and I am more comfortable doing them over / down small obstacles like a manhole cover or curb for some reason.

My best kickflips are always done up a curb. I think the pressure of making it up the curb lets my body do what's natural to land it. Seems like I focus too much on the small things when I workshop them on flat

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #909 on: March 28, 2023, 12:03:59 PM »
Tre flips again, after a hiatus from trying them for a good year or so.

Seem to be able to keep the flip underneath me a bit better now, but still need to work up to committing the back foot.

Set myself the goal a while ago of getting them before I turn 40, 2 years left!!

mfweeno

• Rep: 30
« Reply #910 on: March 28, 2023, 12:13:24 PM »
One trick that I had semi-consistently a few years back but lost along the way are nosegrind 180 out, both directions.

I can balance both front and back nosegrinds pretty well, but when my shoulders wind up/"unsquare" from the board to anticipate the 180 out, I just lose it.

Any good tips for turning out of a nosegrind? I am trying to sit the grind on the ledge versus bonking it - in my experience, the "bonk" version allows you to begin turning your body as you're aiming your board onto the ledge which is a different technique.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #911 on: March 28, 2023, 12:40:30 PM »
One trick that I had semi-consistently a few years back but lost along the way are nosegrind 180 out, both directions.

I can balance both front and back nosegrinds pretty well, but when my shoulders wind up/"unsquare" from the board to anticipate the 180 out, I just lose it.

Any good tips for turning out of a nosegrind? I am trying to sit the grind on the ledge versus bonking it - in my experience, the "bonk" version allows you to begin turning your body as you're aiming your board onto the ledge which is a different technique.

I'm awful at nosegrinds (longest was like 5inches) but instead of anticipating the turn, can you just whip it all at once? Keep the shoulders square thru the grind and twist hips and torso at the same moment? Idk what the hell just my first thought

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #912 on: March 28, 2023, 01:11:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sw front shuvs
[close]

[close]

[close]

My best kickflips are always done up a curb. I think the pressure of making it up the curb lets my body do what's natural to land it. Seems like I focus too much on the small things when I workshop them on flat

I used to be the same for years but now I understand it, going up a curb or a two-stair will force you to fully commit to going through enough of the ollie motion to level the board out and catch it, since that's then your primary goal, making it up the thing and bringing the board up with you making the flip more of an afterthought (but whenever it does happen and you do roll away then it's by de facto 'good'). Rocket kickflips typically miss exactly that, later flick and more complete, thorough ollie motion where your front foot actually slides across all of the griptape and then through the nose, so on flat at first it's tempting to just pop and try and flick off the side because you're focused on just getting the flip going. But as soon as you can consistently do that then up something will help you refine the optimal motion and timing, and eventually you'll naturally be doing just as good ones on flat.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #913 on: March 28, 2023, 01:21:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sw front shuvs
[close]

[close]

[close]

Keep going, it's worth the frustration because eventually you'll figure out the pressure points and on flat they'll feel like a cheat code trick. The funny thing is my kickflip on flat isn't the exact same footing for everything else except into manual (back foot is the same anyway) I beat myself up for like 2 plus years once I decided to clean them up, but finally figured it out like a month ago. It's prob the 4th type of kickflip on flat I've had. I hope there are no more versions on flat that I have to go through
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

ClaySoggyfries

• Rep: 1
  • @clay_soggyfries on IG
    • Soundcloud avatar image
« Reply #914 on: March 28, 2023, 02:38:00 PM »
I've been struggling to learn kickflips for years and years. I have the chickenfoot curse and I have not been able to fix it. Its been like 10 years. And yes, I have branched out and have been learning other tricks since, but it's annoying not being able to land a simple kickflip after years of skating.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 130
« Reply #915 on: April 19, 2023, 02:42:24 PM »
BS heelflips..  got agonisingly close today, caught a few and stepped off, then finally landed one but pivoted back the other way after catching it (shoulders, tut tut)... so not officially there but hopefully get them soon.

Sore lower back now!

wilog

• Rep: -23
« Reply #916 on: April 19, 2023, 06:56:12 PM »
I really want to get switch crooks one of my favourite tricks (guy, ave, fred gall etc) and I can usually get in and grind a decent length but i just cant get out and anytime ive rolled away i put both hands down

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #917 on: April 23, 2023, 03:13:38 PM »
Trying to relearn inward heels and 360 flips.
Inwards I'm getting pretty close to, I think of the trick like a  bs heel but don't turn with it.
360 flips on the other hand I used to be able to just flip with my back foot, now I can't seem to find that sweet spot anymore and just get 360 shoves, guessing I'll need to learn to guide it with my front foot.

adam22savage

• Rep: -45
« Reply #918 on: April 23, 2023, 03:32:40 PM »

i think if you pop a little sooner you'll land a little more where you want to. when i learned 360 flips going slow i'd land nose-worthy a lot. like your body is still fwd motion from the slide but the board lost it during the flip. if you pop a second before you lost speed i think you'd be playing!

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #919 on: April 23, 2023, 11:14:54 PM »
Impossibles and bs flips

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #920 on: April 24, 2023, 11:02:30 AM »
i want to do a fs smith grind fs shuv out. I can do fs 5-0 shuv out pretty easily, this feels like it should be the same but im too heavy on the board and i dont give it enough space to shuv.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #921 on: April 24, 2023, 02:30:38 PM »
Impossibles and bs flips

IDK if this clip helps at all but I do know that Rad Rat has the best trick tip video on them. I've been doing them since 91. I've never heard anyone better at describing the trick in my life. He definitely has a great understanding of the motions involved.

I just had them someone showed me and my friend Mike the trick. We learned the carving into them with the foot more on the nose and got it then we spent the next day or so getting them not like this. this is with a wider stance because it helps with balance

I do know the looser your trucks the easier they get. Anyway here is a slow motion one from last October with a massive tick tac

https://youtu.be/eiQRC7qr-2I

https://youtu.be/0CoirHgXRz4

the rad rat tip is dead on.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 02:37:19 PM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

montanaco

• Rep: -3
« Reply #922 on: April 24, 2023, 09:50:28 PM »
Back 50s. Truly cursed trick. I’ve landed one on a SUPER low ledge but 99% of the time my back foot muscle memory refuses to stay on the board. I can’t figure out how to get my body to just commit and stay on.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #923 on: April 26, 2023, 01:21:19 AM »
Learned how to take pivot shove to fakie to proper transition last night after a while of only ever occasionally doing them on banks, super fun trick, for some reason to me less scary than the normal pivot to fakie. When done right it barely feels like you even did a trick at all which is a bit absurd and ridiculous.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #924 on: April 26, 2023, 08:46:17 AM »
Anyone got tips for slappy fs tail slides? It’s one of those tricks that seems easy but i consistently slip out and never get fully on top

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #925 on: April 26, 2023, 10:13:19 AM »
BS Nosegrind BS 180 out

I'm getting more comfortable twisting out the end but can't get the timing or rotation. Seems as much I can do nose manual BS180 out, I know it will definitely help but I get so caught up in the session go dedicate time to manuals.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
« Reply #926 on: April 26, 2023, 09:03:36 PM »
Started trying this one tonight. Grinding it out is tough but I think i can figure out next time

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #927 on: April 27, 2023, 06:40:27 PM »
Back 50s. Truly cursed trick. I’ve landed one on a SUPER low ledge but 99% of the time my back foot muscle memory refuses to stay on the board. I can’t figure out how to get my body to just commit and stay on.

Can't think of anything super specific to back 50s, but I've used this method to learn a few tricks now. Providing you have a ledge you can ollie straight onto and not have to approach it from an angle to hit it, just start with doing the 50s dead on and gradually start trying it from an angle.

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #928 on: April 28, 2023, 11:56:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can't think of anything super specific to back 50s, but I've used this method to learn a few tricks now. Providing you have a ledge you can ollie straight onto and not have to approach it from an angle to hit it, just start with doing the 50s dead on and gradually start trying it from an angle.

forget that cross lock Bull shit. you gotta get way on top of the ledge at least 85% of both hangars on the top of the ledge so you dont lean off to the landing and step off. the defintion of sitting on top of it. and lean steadily forward but don't stick and fly forward.

im trying to learn bs bigspin disasters on diffrent QPs. i figured out how to bs bigspin badly by putting my feet closer together front foot way lower then  top bolts.

I also wanna get hardflips high as fuck on the hip on lock. maybe if i jump a little forward and to the backside it would be more consistent? i can catch it alot but its always at the heels and not at the balls of my feet.

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #929 on: April 28, 2023, 12:01:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Impossibles and bs flips
[close]

IDK if this clip helps at all but I do know that Rad Rat has the best trick tip video on them. I've been doing them since 91. I've never heard anyone better at describing the trick in my life. He definitely has a great understanding of the motions involved.

I just had them someone showed me and my friend Mike the trick. We learned the carving into them with the foot more on the nose and got it then we spent the next day or so getting them not like this. this is with a wider stance because it helps with balance

I do know the looser your trucks the easier they get. Anyway here is a slow motion one from last October with a massive tick tac

https://youtu.be/eiQRC7qr-2I

https://youtu.be/0CoirHgXRz4

the rad rat tip is dead on.

dope man i never figured these out. PROPs for the tip.