Author Topic: What are you trying to learn right now?  (Read 47984 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: What are you trying to learn right now?
« Reply #930 on: April 29, 2023, 01:22:22 PM »
Never tried 360 flips intol a few wks back. Wanna learn by my 38th bday in june. Getting very close. Some primo, some caught w front foot. Many caught with back foot.

Can’t figure out how to keep from turning my shoulders FS so that i can stay over the board
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

switchfakie

« Reply #931 on: April 29, 2023, 09:04:20 PM »
front tails on transition & back smiths

Plan9Customs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #932 on: April 30, 2023, 06:52:43 PM »
Blunts on sidewalks. Thanks to a tip from @Gab it’s looking like I should get them next session or 2.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #933 on: April 30, 2023, 10:03:22 PM »
Got into a few FS Crooked grinds today towards the end of the session but no roll aways. Haven't done a properly tweaked out one in years, got to get that back on the menu.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #934 on: May 01, 2023, 01:44:53 PM »
Had a little go at fakie FS 5050s on a low ledge today, actually not as scary as I thought they would be. Managed to roll away from a few of them... Will deffo keep working on them.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #935 on: May 01, 2023, 05:19:16 PM »
Never tried 360 flips intol a few wks back. Wanna learn by my 38th bday in june. Getting very close. Some primo, some caught w front foot. Many caught with back foot.

Can’t figure out how to keep from turning my shoulders FS so that i can stay over the board

I also flirted with them recently! Had been 10 years since my last one. I was struggling to keep the shoulder closed also and thought how golfers like hold their pose after the swing there had to be a skate equivalent.

So id focus on that back foot scoop everyone talks about then try to pose the Kalis silhouette where his front foot and front arm is out in front and back foot is tucked up. Ill rest easy all my days on the feeling of the best one i got. Got a few off a kicker and a few on flat. Slidey ground helped the flatground ones for sure.

Best of luck!

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #936 on: May 01, 2023, 09:15:14 PM »
Frontside hurricane in transition. Landed a few on some small stuff, trick seems to be just leaning away from where your board is

Also trying to get proper frontside slappies where i stand up on it instead of just bashing and slashing
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Heshrat

• Rep: -2
« Reply #937 on: May 03, 2023, 07:46:11 PM »
Frontside rock and rolls have always been mad scary to me for some reason
I did your mom

Gnarcade

• Rep: 3
« Reply #938 on: May 04, 2023, 06:39:17 AM »

Totally feel you on this! Its a trick I had wanted to learn for years, and I only started really pulling them off a few months ago: I started trying them on a small quarter, and random guy on the session gave me one tip that really helped. I am going to try and translate his advice into text, and I am hoping it makes sense - Treat your back leg like a squat by bending it up into you while the front leg goes out straight. That way your weight stays back in the ramp and your front leg is what holds it over the coping. That makes it way easier to feel stable when rotating your shoulders and head back for the rotation.

For me its also a trick where progressively bigger obstacles were key. I started super small on like an 18 inch quarter just to get the movement down, and slowly stepped it up. Just now starting to get comfortable with them on 3ft of transition. It's wild cause every time you up the size of the transition it brings that discomfort and unease right back until you pull it off.

God DAMN do they feel good though when you pull a nice one. Good luck!!!

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #939 on: May 04, 2023, 08:03:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally feel you on this! Its a trick I had wanted to learn for years, and I only started really pulling them off a few months ago: I started trying them on a small quarter, and random guy on the session gave me one tip that really helped. I am going to try and translate his advice into text, and I am hoping it makes sense - Treat your back leg like a squat by bending it up into you while the front leg goes out straight. That way your weight stays back in the ramp and your front leg is what holds it over the coping. That makes it way easier to feel stable when rotating your shoulders and head back for the rotation.

For me its also a trick where progressively bigger obstacles were key. I started super small on like an 18 inch quarter just to get the movement down, and slowly stepped it up. Just now starting to get comfortable with them on 3ft of transition. It's wild cause every time you up the size of the transition it brings that discomfort and unease right back until you pull it off.

Best tip I have for them is to come at it a little bit sideways and then push your back foot away from you to slide the back trucks into the rock n roll position. Doing this makes you have the right shoulder/hip position so you're not turning your head around 180 degrees trying to look back down the ramp. I think it's also probably similar to what @Gnarcade said about keeping your body in the ramp instead of being on top.

Also, agreed about progressively bigger obstacles. I can pull them off every time on transition up to 5ft but whenever i go bigger than that my mind just won't let me... best obstacle to try them on is a quarterpipe that runs down a gentle slope so it slowly gets bigger, and you just work your way down the line building the confidence.

It's also a lot easier to do them on something that you can actually 'rock' on, once you get over the fear hump of doing your first ones on something really small.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 08:27:14 AM by modern life is war »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #940 on: May 04, 2023, 08:30:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Best tip I have for them is to come at it a little bit sideways and then push your back foot away from you to slide the back trucks into the rock n roll position. Doing this makes you have the right shoulder/hip position so you're not turning your head around 180 degrees trying to look back down the ramp. I think it's also probably similar to what @Gnarcade said about keeping your body in the ramp instead of being on top.

Also, agreed about progressively bigger obstacles. I can pull them off every time on transition up to 5ft but whenever i go bigger than that my mind just won't let me... best obstacle to try them on is a quarterpipe that runs down a gentle slope so it slowly gets bigger, and you just work your way down the line building the confidence.

Small steep tranny is the key to learn these and absolutely deck check them properly. Its easier to do them proper.

Here's a weird tip that helped me learn them , pose them on ledges or little walls first. Ollie straight up into the front rock position and then turn out. It really gives you a feel for 75% of the trick. Focus your pivot on the back toe. Then when you take them to transition remember you will likely be leaning too far back so be prepared to shift your weight over the front foot when you come back in.

I like doing them on hips,

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqpsvpytcAA/

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #941 on: May 04, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »
Nice one @Frank and Fred, best thing about front rocks is when done properly like that they always look sick! One of the most stylish transition tricks ever.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #942 on: May 04, 2023, 09:54:23 AM »
I'm half decent at FS rocks, I got em pretty consistent, but hesitant to put em on any ramp bigger than 6-7'.

Once you get the hang of forming the trick and rolling away, I find I can curb the fear factor by making em quick. Stalling out is where I get sketched.

Keep the back leg cocked as you hit the lip, rock over keeping pressure on the coping with the back truck, smack the deck fast and loose,  whip the hips around using the leverage of the coping and your back wheels, dive in

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #943 on: May 15, 2023, 01:26:08 PM »
Just learned fs 180 to nosegrinds today and got a few really nice crooked ones exiting back to regular.

Now I really want to learn the backside version but can't get into it for the life of me. I can bs 180 to 5050 and fs noseslide, but can't even do/commit to the not so nice looking fully on top 180 to switch 5-0. Any tips?

I have to learn it on a pretty high ledge because there is nothing else. Super scary for me

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #944 on: May 15, 2023, 02:10:58 PM »
Flat: Getting fakie fs flips dialed (I land one each sesh but need to get really consistent on those, also try and get the full 180 degrees); and always 360 flips

Ledge: fs 5-0s, often get one or two but far from consistent, really frustrating

Curb: fs crooks to reg, same as above

Flat bar: Nice bs lipslides, I have let to land a really satisfying one

Stairs: Kickflip three stair. Not even close but a man can dream.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Switch360flip

• Rep: 17
« Reply #945 on: January 05, 2024, 10:08:57 AM »
Nollie fs flip. Always been the hardest 180 flip trick by far in my opinion until I recently figured out the hack of sitting slightly heel side and not turning the shoulders too quickly. Its still a work in process but they’ve come along way. My inspiration is Dylan’s second to last trick in mindfield down that big set. One of my favorite clips ever.

Also hoping this is the year I finally get bs 360s down. Such a beautiful trick and I get so envious when I see others do them that it makes me feel bad about my own skill. Especially when people do them all effortlessly. Stupid I know but I’ve wanted that trick and been close for a decade now and only managed a few despite practicing it nearly every session for 20 minutes. Seems like all the people I’ve ever disliked at the skatepark have them down too. Comparison really is the thief of joy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:22:38 AM by Switch360flip »

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #946 on: January 05, 2024, 10:43:31 AM »
everyone's favorite, the 360 flip.

never had these, never thought i would, but i recently have been finding the scoop everyone talks about. Been getting semi-close on an 8.5w, 14.25wb - generally a bit bigger for learning the trick, but I'm getting the idea

i bought my son one of those micro Sk8Mafia completes and have been trying to throw 360s flips on it. It's easy to fling and since its so tiny, I'm just trying to workshop the scoop and figure out how what my front foot does and find the catch, even if landing is questionable on the 6 incher lol

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #947 on: January 05, 2024, 02:14:32 PM »
Nollie fs flip. Always been the hardest 180 flip trick by far in my opinion until I recently figured out the hack of sitting slightly heel side and not turning the shoulders too quickly. Its still a work in process but they’ve come along way. My inspiration is Dylan’s second to last trick in mindfield down that big set. One of my favorite clips ever.

Also hoping this is the year I finally get bs 360s down. Such a beautiful trick and I get so envious when I see others do them that it makes me feel bad about my own skill. Especially when people do them all effortlessly. Stupid I know but I’ve wanted that trick and been close for a decade now and only managed a few despite practicing it nearly every session for 20 minutes. Seems like all the people I’ve ever disliked at the skatepark have them down too. Comparison really is the thief of joy.

one thing that i had to change about my approach to nollie fs flip was that i used to try to start the turn and flick at or maybe just before 90 degrees. i find it easier to kick back basically the same timing and direction as a solid nollie flip but it's like in the moment i give it some shoulders/hips and they fold around quite nicely. sorry, i know that wasn't a great description - i'm not quite @silhouette  in terms of describing how to do tricks.

i posted this in the "new year, new tricks" thread - i wanted to finally get better at "switch nose manuals" (really feels a lot more like a switch ollie to fakie manual - but that's breaking some rules) so that i could do fakie flips/half cab flips out. cyrus at the courthouse got me hyped! but yeah, i've already done the fakie flip out a few times since new years day - i wouldn't say i HAVE them, but i can do them now. i feel like they will get pretty consistent though with maintained practice. realising now too that fakie fs flip will be quite doable too!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

newguy

« Reply #948 on: March 03, 2024, 01:25:23 PM »
Havent skated in basically almost a year and furiously got back into it a day ago, I’m genuinely surprised to find my pop is still there, but its gonna take a few weeks to get back to where i was when i stopped, and being able to ollie over fat trashcans again. So im just clawing back my popped fs and reg pop shoves and 180s and one im done kickflip baby. Wanna get my first before i turn 23 and will never ever stop skating again. Genuinely one of the worst decision ive made, drugs partying and girls will never give me the satisfaction and fullness of skating.

gringo_viejo

• Rep: 41
« Reply #949 on: March 03, 2024, 02:46:32 PM »
Been trying bs crooks on a parking block lately and got a couple ugly ones. Homies say that you kind of rock your front foot toeside and then heel side to get in? But that seems like a lot to think about when I'm bashing into a crusty parking block.

Also really want that floaty little bs air over the pool hip. Right now I don't think my rear wheels are even getting off the ground... it's just a Lightfoot kickturn.

Also how do you turn off autocorrect on this thing???

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #950 on: March 03, 2024, 08:11:09 PM »
Been working on blunts recently. Working up the courage to try blunt to fakie, so I've been throwing out a ton of FS pivot fakies.

I found a funny little dogshit trick while I've been dicking around with these - blunt to FS pivot to fakie. BTF with extra steps and 100% less swag.

I-am-12

• Rep: -6
« Reply #951 on: March 04, 2024, 03:52:00 PM »
FS 5050s.....I've been skating for years, can 5050 low curbs and pads on lock, have clean HIGH kickflips, can ollie onto all skatepark boxes and high points, can do long boardslides on pretty much anything, etc etc......

Still choke the second I come at the box at an angle. It's just so awkward for some reason. It's REALLY embarrassing.

I will not be taking advice as I've heard it all. I've been trying to brute force this for 1+ year. The curb I can do them on is like 5 inches tall, and then next biggest box at the park is like knee high. That may be the problem, 0 to 100%

LeDave

• Rep: -40
    • Dave Le Photography avatar image
« Reply #952 on: March 04, 2024, 06:51:39 PM »
Ollie is the trick i am trying to get down.