Author Topic: Buying complete setup for first time in 12+ years - welcome help/input!  (Read 492 times)

BuffGamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Greetings, I most definitely welcome and appreciate your help in dropping some knowledge on me as I look to buy a complete deck for the first time in some 12 years. Some background - I'm 6'3, 200lb, size 13 shoe and recently started skating again after a 12 year hiatus. Old board is a 8.0 Girl, that has razor tail, rusted hardware, worn bushings and jacked trucks, and that feels too small. Welcome any and all input. Thanks!

WHERE TO PURCHASE: Where is the best place online to buy a complete deck?  I remember CCS being a top choice back when, are they still legit? Any others worth looking at?

DECK: thinking of upgrading from 8.0 to at least 8.5, would 8.5 deck be large enough or should I consider going slightly wider? Any size 13 folks out there? I'm not sure how much larger I should or need to go to be more comfortable riding but still be able to mess around and do kicklips, fake big spins, and some other basic flip tricks. 

TRUCKS: Leaning towards Independent Hollows. What size Indy trucks should I go with for the 8.5 or larger. Would the 159mm be too large for a 8.5 deck?

WHEELS: With my thoughts on a roughly a 8.5 deck, I was thinking about 56mm wheels. Does this seem like the right decision? Is there anything else I should consider or shift if I go to a larger board? Do brands matter here?

BEARINGS: it seems Bones are still top dog, but are the more expensive ceramics worth it? Or will Bones Reds get the job done?

BuffGamer

Additions:

Deck: what are peoples thoughts on CCS vs. Skate Warehouse vs Mini Logo blank decks - is there a top choice or are they all pretty decent for blanks?

Trucks: Did some research and see that Indy is now full-China. Leaning towards getting Thunder 151.

FrostedPancake

Real Heavy weight 8.5

Indy Trucks that match the board width (149 i think)

Spitfire f4 conical fulls

Bones Swiss or Super Reds

Allan key hardware

You're Welcome

FrostedPancake

Wouldn't bother with 56 mil wheels 52-54 should be fine

I'm size 13 as well and have really enjoyed cruising around on my Heroin Big Egg with soft Ricta wheels but it isn't optimal for doing tricks on.

Theres a possibility something between and 8.5-9 would work for you but 8.5 is pretty safe and easy to find

As for where to buy SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL

FrostedPancake

Might be worth mentioning if you like 360 flips, double flips etc... you should maybe just stick to 8 with smaller wheels. They flip easier/faster

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
As for where to buy SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL
This. Here's a thread with a good list of local shops with webstores: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109056

Deck: might as well go for a pro or brand board instead of a blank. Depending on the company you'll get more life and better quality for the extra money. Plus you'll support a pro or a company that really needs it right now.

Wheels: Spitfire Formula 4 52-54mm

Trucks: I'm running Ventures now and I love them. Skated Thunders for a while before that liked em.

Bearings: Bones Swiss are worth the extra money.