Key frames
8 (33.3%)
Hot juice/super juice
4 (16.7%)
Other
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: April 18, 2020, 07:42:56 PM

Author Topic: Cruising wheels  (Read 12822 times)

Skatebeard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 130
Re: Cruising wheels
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »
I'm probably going to cop some uncool dad points for this, but I really like 90A Mini Logo A-cuts for cruising... for a cheaper wheel they ride nicely and have decent grip and feel without being too soft.

JB77

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2020, 02:06:06 PM »
I'm probably going to cop some uncool dad points for this, but I really like 90A Mini Logo A-cuts for cruising... for a cheaper wheel they ride nicely and have decent grip and feel without being too soft.
We can be uncool dad together.  I just snagged a set of those from Skate One last week for my 5Boro cruiser.  Nice wheels!

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2020, 06:28:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
We can be uncool dad together.  I just snagged a set of those from Skate One last week for my 5Boro cruiser.  Nice wheels!

how does the 90a feel and compare to 87a keyframes?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 06:36:50 PM by jay_nev »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 574
« Reply #93 on: August 19, 2020, 02:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
I bought some acid chemical co skaterade wheels. I got the 56 mm 86du ones.

I’ve never really used soft wheels, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I like them a lot. They’re soft enough to handle the crust and clunky streets near me, and they don’t feel too weird to ollie/do basic flip tricks with while cruising around. I like them so far! I’ll update if I chunk them or something.
[close]

Every set of pods I’ve seen looks beautiful. I’d love to try them

They’re super fun. Until now I was using them for cruising, but I just found a set of OJ mini-juice as back up, so I started fucking around with the Skaterades today at a waxed curb. I was surprised to find they slide surprisingly well for a soft wheel. They’re a little bouncy, but not enough to really fuck with me. And they certainly make shitty pavement tolerable.

Funner formula, indeed!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

JB77

« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2020, 04:03:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
how does the 90a feel and compare to 87a keyframes?
I had some Keyframes a couple years ago and liked them, but they definitely felt mushier than these 90 Mini Logos.  Could be the difference in the urethane recipe, too.  I also had the 92a OJ Ditch Witch wheels and they felt really hard to me.  Loving these so far, though.

maggotspawn

• Rep: 4
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2020, 03:05:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just ordered a set of 58mm's for a cruiser. Hoping they aren't too soft for me. Almost went with the 95's.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2020, 03:11:37 PM »
who has those mini logos in stock? i want 90a .. smallest is 55mm? just on so many hours of work video calls im stressed

maggotspawn

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2020, 03:34:45 PM »
who has those mini logos in stock? i want 90a .. smallest is 55mm? just on so many hours of work video calls im stressed
Try Skate Warehouse.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2020, 03:35:14 PM »
56 keyframes since 3 weeks, love em so far

This for sure. The best cruiser wheel that you can still actually do shit on. There are probably others but 56 keyframes rule.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2020, 06:39:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This for sure. The best cruiser wheel that you can still actually do shit on. There are probably others but 56 keyframes rule.
Love my 54mm but a little bulky and wide and heavy. Want to try the 90a a cut mini logo

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2020, 09:07:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Love my 54mm but a little bulky and wide and heavy. Want to try the 90a a cut mini logo

A cut is probably the way to go when buying mini logo 90a wheels.
I tried the c cut in 53 mm 90a and they kinda sucked. Felt really sluggish and bouncy.
I think it's a bad idea to combine small diameter, thin contact patch and urethane in that hardness.

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2020, 07:00:09 PM »
For what it's worth...

I have 2 sets of Ricta clouds in 56mm. One 78a regular, other 86a chrome core. The 78a's dont feel "mushy" to me, but definitely comfy. Really sticky, and work well cruising on crusty streets. Almost to the point where nothing on the street matters except massive craters. The 86a's seemed to be a lot harder than they actually were, and felt like a hard wheel under my feet but just not as jarring as a 99/101d spit. Not sure how much of a difference the chrome core vs regular core clouds have, but the 86a's stayed on my setup when I wanted to cruise and screw around. But the 78a was perfect for cruising EVERYWHERE.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

maggotspawn

« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2020, 08:38:31 AM »
Got the Mini Logos. Fast shipping. I think I'm done looking for cruiser wheels.
These feel great, but anything less then 97 durometer just feels to slow to me.
Back to the Spitfire's.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2020, 08:41:11 AM »
Back to the Spitfire's.
got 90a or 95a?

maggotspawn

« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Back to the Spitfire's.
[close]
got 90a or 95a?
The 90A. I knew I should have went harder. I thing I'm going to just stick with F4's.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2020, 10:45:25 AM »
My conclusion is for soft wheels you need to go wider and heavier so that the rolling momentum of the wheels keeps you going longer without pushing.  Otherwise they will feel sluggish

Mink

« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2020, 11:18:46 AM »
56mm 78a Crome Clouds.

These are the first soft wheels, and the biggest wheels, I’ve ever ridden.

They’ve been hella fun, and I want to cop something around 60mm for a shaped deck I just picked up.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2020, 08:47:08 PM »
My conclusion is for soft wheels you need to go wider and heavier so that the rolling momentum of the wheels keeps you going longer without pushing.  Otherwise they will feel sluggish

It depends on the rebound if the wheel. As I understand it, soft wheels are actually faster if the rebound works.

That’s why all racing wheels are low duros
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2020, 03:57:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back to the Spitfire's.
[close]
got 90a or 95a?
[close]
The 90A. I knew I should have went harder. I thing I'm going to just stick with F4's.
you riding at a smooth park or irregular street?

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2020, 04:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back to the Spitfire's.
[close]
got 90a or 95a?
[close]

Have you tried the Ricta clouds? I think the main problem is that you got mini logos, not cruiser wheels themselves.
I've had a shitload of different cruiser wheels and mini logos are by far the slowest ones, I took them shits off and gave them away after 30 minutes. The oldest clouds I have are around 8-10 years old and I still use them several times a week, still fast and great.

maggotspawn

« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2020, 10:28:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back to the Spitfire's.
[close]
got 90a or 95a?
[close]
[close]

Have you tried the Ricta clouds? I think the main problem is that you got mini logos, not cruiser wheels themselves.
I've had a shitload of different cruiser wheels and mini logos are by far the slowest ones, I took them shits off and gave them away after 30 minutes. The oldest clouds I have are around 8-10 years old and I still use them several times a week, still fast and great.
I had a set of Clouds, I forget which durometer. They were definitely better then the Mini Logos.
Still too slow for me though.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2020, 11:04:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back to the Spitfire's.
[close]
got 90a or 95a?
[close]
[close]
[close]
I had a set of Clouds, I forget which durometer. They were definitely better then the Mini Logos.
Still too slow for me though.
they feel great, but should've went harder? riding street? or smooth parks? Not sure what you are/were looking for. Cruiser wheels that you can pop with as well?

Burnerboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2020, 02:53:11 PM »
I have a question. What is the point of the key frame shape? Weight savings?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2020, 02:59:52 PM »
I have a question. What is the point of the key frame shape? Weight savings?
To perform in every way like a normal wheel, but be able to travel over all urban terrain.

maggotspawn

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2020, 04:37:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back to the Spitfire's.
[close]
got 90a or 95a?
[close]
[close]
you riding at a smooth park or irregular street?
Street mostly.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2020, 04:51:15 PM »
Got some Satori 57mm 78a purple ish clear cruiser wheels for the zip zinger. https://www.satoriwheels.org/wheels They're pretty good, replaced my 56mm OJ keyframes. Feels a bit softer for sure, but from what I can tell, not slower. If anything a bit faster. Classic ish shape instead of the wide conical style. Pretty hyped on them.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2020, 09:10:28 PM »

Going to try the bones filmers, 54mm 80a, on an 8.12 deck w/ indy 144s for local crusty streets
currently skating spitfire F4 classics 52 99 at the park, next up are tablets in 53
photo of all 3 for shape/size comparison

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2021, 05:39:54 AM »
Yeah wish keyframes weren’t so heavy at times. It’s the shape. Maybe the clouds have a more classic shape? Mini logo make 90a and 95a too

I swap my Keyframes so the serrated back edge is facing out, feel a bit more reactive/nimble & streety to me like that.

And line up with your axle nut the same place regular hard wheel would so the offset width difference doesn’t throw you off as much