Key frames
8 (33.3%)
Hot juice/super juice
4 (16.7%)
Other
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: April 18, 2020, 07:42:56 PM

Author Topic: Cruising wheels  (Read 12918 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
Cruising wheels
« on: April 14, 2020, 07:42:56 PM »
Interested to see input from those who have tested two or more. I liked key frames but found them a bit slow.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

Re: Cruising wheels
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »
Currently loving 78a Superjuice 55mm OJs.

Before that I had some 80hd Spitfire... not so good.

Also have some 86a Rictas that are a real nice inbetweener.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 08:09:27 PM »
Rat Bones only because they're super easy to slide and slab curbs on the way to my destination.

Otherwise PP G-Slides, Spitfire 80HDs, OJ Key Frames, Mini-Logo AWOLs, and Bones ATF Rough Riders are all good.

cucktard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 03:36:36 AM »
Rough Riders are the fastest, grippiest wheel. Love them, as long as you don’t use them for tricks (they will chunk badly) or sliding (they won’t)

If you want something similar but a bit tougher with a bit of slide, try downhill wheels.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 04:10:25 AM »
Rat Bones only because they're super easy to slide and slab curbs on the way to my destination.

Otherwise PP G-Slides, Spitfire 80HDs, OJ Key Frames, Mini-Logo AWOLs, and Bones ATF Rough Riders are all good.
I wanna try a set. Do you have the 85a or 90a? I was thinking 85 would be too soft. I have a new set of rough riders and some slightly used super juices if anyone’s interested
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:14:26 AM by skatesum609 »

Uncle Poseur

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 04:58:06 AM »
Ricta clouds are nice, they come in different durometers and they have that hard plastic core, which helps keeps the bearings straight in soft wheels.
Powell Bomber III's are pretty good too as long as you're OK with 60mm. Not sure if the come in any other size.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 04:59:58 AM by Uncle Poseur »

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 05:29:17 AM »
Ricta clouds 78a are really good if you want a more normal shaped wheel

Super juice minis 55mm 78a are really good roll over anything and damn fast
 I had so much fun skating those

My 2c

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 07:48:53 AM »
Another one for Ricta clouds. I've tried a lot of cruiser wheels on different type of boards but I always end up with clouds on all of them. Theyre agile (unlike most cruiser wheels), fast (unlike most cruiser wheels in comparison) and last forever.

The only ones that has come close are the Satori P-town players, they were light as shit and really fast as well. I've seen some other wheels that look pretty much exactly the same so I'm guessing they were some generic wheels from some factory, I'd definitely try them out again if I come across them the next time I need to re-up.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 07:57:30 AM »
I have a pair of these in white:

They are really nice all around wheels but I feel like Spitfire Formula 4 covers 95% of what these wheels can do. Meaning, they dead your shit for not much benefit. Might as well drop down to Key Frames at that point.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »
ACID pods

shalominator

• Rep: 22
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 09:52:41 AM »
Ricta Clouds!

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
I've said it a bunch on different threads but pennswood has "winter tires." They're cruiser wheels put through a lathe(I think?) to make them only 54mm's. They're honestly great for rough surfaces while still being hard enough to slide and skate like a regular wheel. They act like a regular wheel on all accounts until you hit a rougher spot, then they shine.

Just my input if someone is looking for a softer wheel for crusty spots, but doesn't want to sacrifice skateability.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 10:23:42 AM »
I've said it a bunch on different threads but pennswood has "winter tires." They're cruiser wheels put through a lathe(I think?) to make them only 54mm's. They're honestly great for rough surfaces while still being hard enough to slide and skate like a regular wheel. They act like a regular wheel on all accounts until you hit a rougher spot, then they shine.

Just my input if someone is looking for a softer wheel for crusty spots, but doesn't want to sacrifice skateability.
yeah curious about them for a do it all winter set up/crunchy set up. how have yours worn in? 34mm wide which is the same as conical fulls

But black..
https://pennswood.myshopify.com/collections/cruiser-wheels/products/54mm-winter-tires

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 10:26:12 AM »
92a Ricta Clouds sucked imo. said before too in-between to have any benefits.
90a Mini logos are softer ride much nicer than i expected. feels good to be able to ride smaller wheels like that.
86a Acid Pods were my softest wheels for a while and did quite well. its a nice, wide and smooth shape too.
78a Mini Super Juice are my softest and newest wheels. They're on my covid-cruiser and they're truly a blast.

Madness kicking in further and wondering about Keyframes, as well as softer Powell duros between 70a and 85a. We'll see.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 10:30:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
yeah curious about them for a do it all winter set up/crunchy set up. how have yours worn in? 34mm wide which is the same as conical fulls

But black..
https://pennswood.myshopify.com/collections/cruiser-wheels/products/54mm-winter-tires

They've worn in pretty well. I haven't worn them all the way down or anything but I've gotten the feel for them which always takes some wearing down in my opinion. Kind of like how a shoe gets broken in. Still a lot of life left in mine.

They're honestly really nice for shitty spots. It feels like my state is comprised entirely of crusty, shitty spots so it helps a lot. I don't mind that they're black. They were given to me for free and I'm much too poor to care about the color of free wheels.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2020, 08:24:32 PM »
If I want to ride even somewhat smooth surfaces, I have to ride for blocks over awful crust so I feel your pain. I’ve ridden the OJs, the “winter tires,” and some that fall in to the “other” category so here are some pics and thoughts:

Left to right: Pennswood cruisers (60mm 85a), Pennswood winter tires (54mm 85a), Minilogo AWOL (59mm 78a), Minilogo 55mm 90a A-cut

Super Juice 60mm, Spit 54mm 80HD, Speedlab Danforth 58mm 97a

AWOL: My favorite, ridiculously fast and very nice once they broke in. That huge chunk was a crack that grew and either caused or was caused by the worst slam I’ve taken in years at high speed so I’m torn about getting more.

Super Juice: Also super fast but they also have chips and cracks (see pic) that I’m worried will end up like the AWOLs which has kept me from really riding them as hard.

Spitfire 80HD: I’m constantly surprised by the amount of hate these get on SLAP. I’ll admit I thought they sucked right at first but they broke in and were excellent from then on. They’re on my little kid’s board now mainly cause they’re down to maybe 50mm and just too sketchy when it comes to cracks or really bad pavement and I prefer not to worry about that shit when I’m cruising. Little rocks and stuff are no problem however.

Pennswood cruiser and snow tire: First, Pennswood has the cruisers listed as 63mm or 65mm or something. Mine, at least, arrived at 60mm. Both are a little slower than those listed above probably due in some part to the bearings they came with. I got em for rain so I haven’t tried them with better bearings but overall the wheels themselves are fine. I haven’t worn either down much but they handle the crust just fine and I think they’ll both improve when I’ve gotten more time on them. The two sets with bearings and shipping cost less than a single set of super juice so there’s that.

Minilogo 90a: They ride fine but the thinner profile, smaller diameter, and slightly harder formula lack the characteristics that I’m really looking for in a cruiser wheel. My 53mm 99a F4s handle rough pavement almost as well and once I get to nice concrete, they’re of course waaay better than the 90a so I’m more likely to just endure the crust on them than ride these.

Speedlab Danforths: I included these because, since they broke in, I’ve found myself liking these more than anything as my multi-purpose option. If I’m cruising to get somewhere and skate (not just transpo or going fast at night), I can just roll with them and it’s only bad over the roughest of the shitty streets around me.
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2020, 09:02:37 PM »
Ricta clouds.. Only rode the 78a and 92a..have not tried the 86a

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2020, 11:21:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I wanna try a set. Do you have the 85a or 90a? I was thinking 85 would be too soft. I have a new set of rough riders and some slightly used super juices if anyone’s interested

90a. Not as smooth as softer wheels, but sliding was my priority. I'm not too keen on the shape because the rounded outside doesn't make sliding feel smooth (if that makes sense) and the fact that it only comes in 60mm.

General question to all: which OJ cruiser wheel is the best? I need one that rolls well, slides easily (to do slappies), and isn't ridiculously big. I'm going to use Indy 169s and probably either a 9-1/4 Krooked Dan Drehobl deck or a Girl Couch/Love shape.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2020, 01:09:20 AM »
Any of the softer cruiser wheels will generally tear when you hit curbs.

The closest balance between softness and durability I’ve found are Powell Ratbones, not sure what that translates into with OJ tho
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2020, 06:41:55 AM »
Always rode OJ’s but just tried some 56mm spitfire hd80 and they are awesome for cruising

JB77

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »
I'm riding 60mm/85a Powell Peralta Rat Bones and 62mm/85a Street Plant City Pushers right now and both are great. I love the 65mm/78a Slime Balls, too.  I've had a couple sets of those in the past and will probably get another set of those next.  Very fast and smooth.

chappers

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 05:41:26 AM »
just aquired some super juice minis for a cruiser, will report back with findings

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 12:51:48 PM »
56 keyframes since 3 weeks, love em so far

JB77

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2020, 03:06:00 AM »
I've got to throw Street Plant City Pushers into the mix here.  I've been riding a set of these for the past two years and they're my hands-down favorite cruiser wheels.  They wear very evenly and I haven't had any issues with chunking.  They also still feel just as fast as they did when they were new.  Some soft wheels feel slow and dead after a while.  I love Rat Bones, too.  But the Street Plant City Pushers are shaped more like a G-Bone.  62mm/85a...
https://www.streetplant.com/products/62mm-city-pusher-street-scoundrels

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2020, 04:44:03 AM »
I bought an old pair of blank santa cruz 56mm wheels there pretty alright

SLAPASONIC

• Rep: 22
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 11:05:45 PM »
Anyone know what wheels Shin is riding here?

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 11:25:59 PM »
55 superjuice imo
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2020, 12:00:52 AM »
SML Coffee Cruiser are good for a not too hard, not soft experience.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2020, 12:04:31 AM »
Anyone know what wheels Shin is riding here?

those definitely arent soft
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 02:49:18 AM »
I ride a river trail to work each day and have to ride about 1km down a rough stoney road to get to the track. The road put me off commuting because it's so damn un-skateable and I was about to give it up.

Anyway, got me some 55mm OJ mini super juice and holy shit they're like monster truck tires. They run over anything. They turn that shitty road into something that's not that bad. And on normal asphalt holy fuck are they fun and fast.

They're definitely hefty but I can ollie curbs in them which is all i really want my commuter wheel to do. They DO NOT SLIDE. AT ALL. You have to foot or tail break. But it's amazing to be able to push one time and cruise for a good half km. At the start of my run I roll down my driveway and it gives me enough momentum that I can cruise my entire street without pushing. It's like flying. Highly recommended because they're fun as hell.

TL;DR OJ 55mm super juice ride well over ANYTHING.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 02:52:11 AM by giantbeardedone »