Key frames
8 (33.3%)
Hot juice/super juice
4 (16.7%)
Other
9 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: April 18, 2020, 07:42:56 PM

Author Topic: Cruising wheels  (Read 12909 times)

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
Re: Cruising wheels
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2020, 05:31:34 AM »
Anyone know what wheels Shin is riding here?

Definitively a 85Aish - 90A duro wheel. Since OJ commented I'm going to assume they're OJ Keyframes (87A).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 07:51:55 AM by Deekay »

chappers

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2020, 08:35:12 AM »
just aquired some super juice minis for a cruiser, will report back with findings

theyre good. really fuckin good. roll over anything. hefty but not unmanageable. i could only find white but really wish i had orange. prefer these to spit 80hd (only other soft wheels ive had)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 08:45:12 PM »
Anyone know what wheels Shin is riding here?

Ask him, but don't forget to do it like a man
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2020, 10:47:37 AM »
Gotta say oj super juice mini is exactly what i want for cruiser wheel. Super wide to roll smooth and fast everywhere and 55mm height for light push and pop. Sure they don't really slide, but no prob to do some quick slappies/ledge tricks or speed checks. Let's see how they will last.

Rough riders was also great, but I had them in 59mm so it was pretty heavy. I guess 56mm wouldn't be as smooth as oj minis since the contact patch is smaller. I had them almost 2 years and hundreds of miles, they were pretty worn down and had some light "scars" in them, but didn't start to chip.

Slime Balls 60mm 78a then again was no good, slow and heavy compared to these other two. Slime balls indeed.

edit. Oh and I had Mini Logo 90a 53mm some years ago, didn't like them at all. F4 conical full 99a 54mm felt faster even on shit terrain.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:33:25 AM by imuseless »

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 03:23:43 PM »
Here are shots of various softies from 80a - 95a
During quarantine, been riding them in front of the house on flat ground, kicker ramp, flat bar.
To keep thing controlled, all wheels went on the same set up, antihero 8.06 eagle + indy stage VIIs
And the same bearings were used in all of these wheels. bones race reds. they made swapping wheels much easier since these bearings have the built in spacers/speed rings.
For reference, my park wheel is Spitfire F4 Classic 99a 52mm. I do have a set of F4 Tablet 99a 53mm on ice for when the local park is opened back up....

Listed from left to right, top to bottom
Spitfire 80a - 54mm: smooth but very bouncy, rolls over stuff with ease. not slidable. ridden these the most, even pre-covid, down to about 51mm now, so not as fast as they used to be.
Keyframe 87a - 54mm: VERY nice so far. rode these the least out of the bunch, but they may become the favorite. kept these on and will keep riding them for now.
Mini Logo 90a - 53mm: this is the 'C Cut' shape. feel way softer than 90a. bouncy. skinny contact patch. easiest out of the bunch to pop + flip, very light weight. inexpensive.
Ricta 92a - 54mm: great as an ATV wheel. not too soft or hard. easy to slide. very close to shape of the keyframes, but not as smooth/forgiving to use as a true cruiser wheel.
Mini Logo 95a - 52mm: this is the 'A Cut' shape. not soft enough for a cruiser, very little difference than a Spitfire 99a for smoothness, but just a little more quiet.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2020, 08:02:34 PM »
Gnar. sick comparison. damn that 90a c cut mini logo shape is narrow in comparison. do these slide?  more in depth between keyframes and these would be nice! Where can i grab mini logo 90a 55mm? in white.... haha

and without sliding you rode those 80HDs downnn

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2020, 09:20:41 PM »
Gnar. sick comparison. damn that 90a c cut mini logo shape is narrow in comparison. do these slide?  more in depth between keyframes and these would be nice! Where can i grab mini logo 90a 55mm? in white.... haha

and without sliding you rode those 80HDs downnn

Thanks, appreciate the gnar! Ha, yes, the chargers have seen some action.
Those mini logo c-cuts are 32mm wide, the exact same width as 52mm spit classics. but the super narrow contact patch makes them seem very skinny.
The 90a in both A + C cuts look out of stock right now. sliding them is tough, they feel WAY softer than 90a. I can slide the keyframes easier.
If it doesn't rain tomorrow, going to keep rolling on the keyframes some more.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 10:42:30 AM »
Are some acid 86du worth giving a whirl? Key frames seem to be high on the survey, but I can’t find them here.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2020, 08:40:34 AM »
Product Review:

Just bought Bones Rough Riders

Verdict: They Rip

Pros:

-they do not compress. Less pushing.
-Quiet.
-excellent grip.
-add extra .25” to the total axel width.
-do not slow down if you land forward ollieing up a curb

Cons:

-heavy and wide
-not as smooth on rough ground as I would have liked.
-not even going to try and slide.

In summary:

Key Frames are the do all crusier wheel. OJ Super Juice, although I have not tried them, are probably the best for crust. Rough Riders are fast and you can Ollie up a curb with confidence. These wheels will smoke someone on Key Frames but carry your real board for when you arrive at the spot.

BeanieMcGee

• Rep: 5
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2020, 10:18:37 AM »
Another one for Ricta clouds. I've tried a lot of cruiser wheels on different type of boards but I always end up with clouds on all of them. Theyre agile (unlike most cruiser wheels), fast (unlike most cruiser wheels in comparison) and last forever.

The only ones that has come close are the Satori P-town players, they were light as shit and really fast as well. I've seen some other wheels that look pretty much exactly the same so I'm guessing they were some generic wheels from some factory, I'd definitely try them out again if I come across them the next time I need to re-up.

Those P-town players were really good. Seems like Satori is making a comeback, hopefully they come out with these again.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2020, 06:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Another one for Ricta clouds. I've tried a lot of cruiser wheels on different type of boards but I always end up with clouds on all of them. Theyre agile (unlike most cruiser wheels), fast (unlike most cruiser wheels in comparison) and last forever.

The only ones that has come close are the Satori P-town players, they were light as shit and really fast as well. I've seen some other wheels that look pretty much exactly the same so I'm guessing they were some generic wheels from some factory, I'd definitely try them out again if I come across them the next time I need to re-up.

[P-town players]

[close]

Those P-town players were really good. Seems like Satori is making a comeback, hopefully they come out with these again.

Satori is making a comeback? Hellyea!

For smaller cruisers, they're unparalleled. Having a smaller cruiser deck with smaller/lighter trucks and those light 54mm wheels is so good, like a feather fuckin ferrari with a cobra snap if you feel like getting some air.

I just ordered parts for a new zip zinger and I've had the hardest time trying to pick wheels because they're all too wide and clunky. I ended up getting the 56mm Cadillac wheels, I'm a little concerned about the square edges but hopefully they'll hold up. I'll post a quick review in here later in case anyone cares.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2020, 06:55:19 PM »
I have a set of 56mm keyframes that are 4+ years old and they are still great. I rode them on my main board for 3 years, they are on my secondary board that I still ride a few times a week. Now I have some 99a on my main board and 55mm mini super juice on my big boy and love them. The 60mm version are great on my cruiser but it’s nice to not need risers with the 55mm and they still work for most tricks.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2020, 07:18:23 PM »
I have a set of 56mm keyframes that are 4+ years old and they are still great. I rode them on my main board for 3 years, they are on my secondary board that I still ride a few times a week. Now I have some 99a on my main board and 55mm mini super juice on my big boy and love them. The 60mm version are great on my cruiser but it’s nice to not need risers with the 55mm and they still work for most tricks
mini juice soft similar to 80hd chargers? Ever tried? I like the soft and classic shape of chargers even tho they aren’t the best durability wise.

And keyframes slide a bit comparatively to mini juice tho? I can slow myself down on hills with keyframes but reverting a bit, not really powersliding

BeanieMcGee

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2020, 08:21:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[P-town players]

[close]

[close]

Satori is making a comeback? Hellyea!

For smaller cruisers, they're unparalleled. Having a smaller cruiser deck with smaller/lighter trucks and those light 54mm wheels is so good, like a feather fuckin ferrari with a cobra snap if you feel like getting some air.

I just ordered parts for a new zip zinger and I've had the hardest time trying to pick wheels because they're all too wide and clunky. I ended up getting the 56mm Cadillac wheels, I'm a little concerned about the square edges but hopefully they'll hold up. I'll post a quick review in here later in case anyone cares.

https://instagram.com/satoriwheels?igshid=1vxcda8p3o89n

I agree. I ran a 5boro 7.5 cruiser with the p town players for awhile. Kind of makes me want to set up a small cruiser now.

gsosa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 292
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2020, 08:41:39 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a set still. a friend of mine got them because he was so stoked on the Brent Atchley commercial. He barely used them and ended up giving them to me years later. I havent skated them in so long because Ive been rocking Keyframes for filming/cruising

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2020, 09:22:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I have a set of 56mm keyframes that are 4+ years old and they are still great. I rode them on my main board for 3 years, they are on my secondary board that I still ride a few times a week. Now I have some 99a on my main board and 55mm mini super juice on my big boy and love them. The 60mm version are great on my cruiser but it’s nice to not need risers with the 55mm and they still work for most tricks
[close]
mini juice soft similar to 80hd chargers? Ever tried? I like the soft and classic shape of chargers even tho they aren’t the best durability wise.

And keyframes slide a bit comparatively to mini juice tho? I can slow myself down on hills with keyframes but reverting a bit, not really powersliding

Mini juice are much wider kinda old school asymmetrical, you can carve them really well to slow down and I can really only powerslide on polished concrete because they feel really soft and sticky. Not good for wallrides. Keyframes really don’t slide that well either or it’s too inconsistent for me. But are better for wallrides.
I’ve heard some good things about to ricta clouds and they come in lots of hardnesses but I kinda hate the look. Although they might be the shape you are looking for.
Any dlx soft wheel(spitfire 80hd, krooked 78a) I’ve ever had the core broke in the first week or two but they were good or comparable til then.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2020, 09:35:12 PM »
rough riders 56mm are the only ones i tried and they're good

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2020, 11:48:35 AM »
I’d like to try keyframes cuz everyone on here says they’re the shit but I tried ATFs before I read that on here. I like the ATFs. Light years better than chargers and faster than clouds

I don’t skate soft wheels like hard ones so sliding isn’t important to me on a cruiser. K.I.S.S. Basics should be good enough as far as grinding and shit
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

BeanieMcGee

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I have a set still. a friend of mine got them because he was so stoked on the Brent Atchley commercial. He barely used them and ended up giving them to me years later. I havent skated them in so long because Ive been rocking Keyframes for filming/cruising

Nice! That commercial still holds up haha. I’m using the Spitfire chargers right now which are fine and all, but if Satori re-releases or has something similar to the atchley wheels I’m definitely going to stock up.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2020, 10:36:17 PM »
I’d like to try keyframes cuz everyone on here says they’re the shit but I tried ATFs before I read that on here. I like the ATFs. Light years better than chargers and faster than clouds

I don’t skate soft wheels like hard ones so sliding isn’t important to me on a cruiser. K.I.S.S. Basics should be good enough as far as grinding and shit
I have both, atf’s for mellow cruise to corner store and keyframes for more aggressive type of cruising around. Both are very good, just very different.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

FleeceFlannel

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2020, 12:20:33 AM »
Damn, I’m bummed I missed this poll when it was up and running.  But I like my key frames for rough spots on more regular shaped boards and I like to run hot juice/super juice on bigger shaped boards that I take to buy coffee and cigarettes with. 

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2020, 06:43:34 AM »
I bought some acid chemical co skaterade wheels. I got the 56 mm 86du ones.

I’ve never really used soft wheels, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I like them a lot. They’re soft enough to handle the crust and clunky streets near me, and they don’t feel too weird to ollie/do basic flip tricks with while cruising around. I like them so far! I’ll update if I chunk them or something.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2020, 10:45:37 AM »
I bought some acid chemical co skaterade wheels. I got the 56 mm 86du ones.

I’ve never really used soft wheels, so I have nothing to compare them to, but I like them a lot. They’re soft enough to handle the crust and clunky streets near me, and they don’t feel too weird to ollie/do basic flip tricks with while cruising around. I like them so far! I’ll update if I chunk them or something.

Every set of pods I’ve seen looks beautiful. I’d love to try them
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

thelonelynow

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »
I'm also into the Acid Chemical Company Pods and Skater-Aid wheels lately. Not too soft and just hard enough to maintain speed very well. I've been using them for a little over a year and they've replaced Keyframes and Ricta Clouds for me. They are every bit as fast as Keyframes and Clouds but seem to be manufactured to a higher standard than the Keyframes and Rictas. I got several mis-shaped wheels and bad air pockets right on the conical edge of many sets of Keyframes which lead to decreased performance and longevity. My Pods and Skater-Aids are definitely lasting longer, they also don't feel quite as bouncy as Keyframes did to me. So far I have yet to crack any of the cores on the Acid Wheels, which I did a few times with Keyframes and my Ricta Chrome Core 86As got cracked in the first week! I ollied down just three stairs and heard this loud crack, it was the chrome core splitting. I also prefer to have wheels made in the USA when possible. I also like that SOP Distribution doesn't charge me crazy shipping prices to Japan so I stocked up on them a few months ago! They now have the Pods in 53mm and the Skater-Aid in 54mm so I've already ordered more! Great cruiser wheels for those who want similar shapes to street wheels and don't want to go too soft.

I'll stop with the diarrhea of the mouth now.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2020, 05:16:03 PM »
Got a pic of em set up?  And the obvious do they slide at all question? Similar to key frames? Their price point is nice too
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:23:07 PM by jay_nev »

thelonelynow

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2020, 05:27:27 PM »
Are those acid chemical a classic shape? Got a pic of em set up?  And the obvious do they slide at all question? Similar to key frames?

Yes, I happen to have taken numerous photos of both my cruisers before I started using them.

The Pods (purple on the left) are a conical shape similar to Keyframes and the Skater-Aid (orange with the lighting bolt on the right) are a classic rounded shape.

Edit: I just saw your edit. They slide the slightest bit easier than Keyframes but not as easily as Chrome Clouds since those now have a ground finish like a longboard wheel. Enough speed and smooth concrete and they'll slide but it's not any sort of thing they do well. I don't slide them or try to slide them often at all. I have some 92A and 97A wheels I use when I want a softer yet still slidable setup. I hope that helps you.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:34:38 PM by thelonelynow »

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2020, 05:45:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Are those acid chemical a classic shape? Got a pic of em set up?  And the obvious do they slide at all question? Similar to key frames?
[close]

Yes, I happen to have taken numerous photos of both my cruisers before I started using them.

The Pods (purple on the left) are a conical shape similar to Keyframes and the Skater-Aid (orange with the lighting bolt on the right) are a classic rounded shape.

Edit: I just saw your edit. They slide the slightest bit easier than Keyframes but not as easily as Chrome Clouds since those now have a ground finish like a longboard wheel. Enough speed and smooth concrete and they'll slide but it's not any sort of thing they do well. I don't slide them or try to slide them often at all. I have some 92A and 97A wheels I use when I want a softer yet still slidable setup. I hope that helps you.

yeah, good stuff! Really nice pictures you take too, what camera?
And Are you comparing to your 86a ricta? I guess I mean on 180s and reverts mostly, not straight up powerslides

thelonelynow

« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2020, 05:57:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah, good stuff! Really nice pictures you take too, what camera?
And Are you comparing to your 86a ricta? I guess I mean on 180s and reverts mostly, not straight up powerslides

Thanks! I took these with the Canon 5DMKIV, I use a FujiFilm and my iPhone too sometimes but yeah, these were with the Canon. Comparing to the newer 86A Chrome Core Rictas and Keyframes. Backside 180º is pretty easy since you can shift weight to the front foot but frontside takes a lot more effort. I honestly don't skate these at a park or on a ramp etc so I'm not sure how grippy they'd be on reverts, I use these mostly for cruising and transportation. 92A Sml or 97A Powell Rippers are my go to for parks or spots that need a bit more forgiveness or grip but I still need to slide somewhat easily. Either of those may be suitable for what you're looking for.

snakesinthegrass

• Rep: -3
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2020, 07:33:57 PM »
keyframes are good, a little bouncy but powerslidable if you really lean into it

edit: a little heavy too

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2020, 05:12:23 PM »

Really bummed on the Rough Riders. Two slappies, two chunks came off. Maybe there just to soft to skate properly. However, it’s really fun to wally up curbs. I’m asking Powell for one replacement wheel, but having to just cruise is boring.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 05:15:29 PM by GardenSkater77 »