Author Topic: Investing?  (Read 17249 times)

lazer69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -95
Re: Investing?
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2021, 09:14:35 PM »
Expand Quote
My portfolio was up 7% in the morning for the day and now it showing down 4%.. such a swing.

Overall im up 54% since I started in July
[close]
do you ever take spending $ out? i'd like to have long term but also have others that i eat off of.

What do you mean?

All the money I have isnt in there.

The money I spend with is in my savings in my bank account. The money I have in stocks I keep in there, not taking it out for living expenses.. Its tax advantageous to not sell in less than a year due to short term capitol gains tax.

(Heres my Robinhood link: https://join.robinhood.com/eleazap39 , if you decide to sign up youll get a free stock.)

piss joslin

• Rep: -13
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2021, 10:10:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My portfolio was up 7% in the morning for the day and now it showing down 4%.. such a swing.

Overall im up 54% since I started in July
[close]
do you ever take spending $ out? i'd like to have long term but also have others that i eat off of.
[close]

What do you mean?

All the money I have isnt in there.

The money I spend with is in my savings in my bank account. The money I have in stocks I keep in there, not taking it out for living expenses.. Its tax advantageous to not sell in less than a year due to short term capitol gains tax.

(Heres my Robinhood link: https://join.robinhood.com/eleazap39 , if you decide to sign up youll get a free stock.)
i already got the free RH stock. here's my sofi, free $50 to play w/. https://www.sofi.com/share/invest/3629967?src=copy

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2021, 05:15:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Put money on AMC this morning at $13.44 and it closed at around $19 today. Put a stop loss on it like a bitch so I can't lose any money, but hoping to see it keep climbing.
[close]
probably won’t happen but it could open at lower than your stop loss, has happened to me before.
[close]

Very true. That's alright if it does. Didn't put too much on it. Just wanted to potentially run it up.

And straight, I just used Robinhood. I signed up the night before and although it takes about 5 days for bank funds to go through, they gave me an immediate amount I was able to buy with, so I just used that.
[close]

how though? do you have a ssn card? it’s asking me for that and all i have is a drivers license
[close]

Yea, I imagine the apps want the SSN for the IRS and other legal issues.

I'm sure how to get around. If you can't get a SSN (and live in the States) can you get a tax identification number?

You need to provide that info because tax reasons. Uncle Sam wants a cut of every single profitable trade. Doesn't matter how small. But don't forget you can take advantage and write off losses up to 3k per year too.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2021, 05:17:37 AM »
@cky enthusiast - Valid points!  I definitely don’t think I’m smarter than any career investors, but it’s a pipe dream of mine to one day be okay at it and not have to work my shitty low paying construction job until I’m cripple.  It’s funny because I’ve always been pretty anti-gambling, but there’s money to be made out there with research and little luck.  As long as you never invest more than you can comfortably lose.  Again, I know there’s more to learn than I possibly ever could.

I totally agree that index funds are the best long term option, it’s just the gains are so small it’s basically just a savings account.  I threw 50 into a roboadvisor app and my money actually went down over a couple weeks.  I wasn’t expecting immediate gains but man, pretty discouraging.

@Chatbot - I’m sorry, I’ve tried to look up info on Options trading but struggled to make sense of it.  Can you explain in dumbass terms?  Is it possible to lose more than you put in with options?  I assumed I could throw a little coin in, and worst case I lose it, best case I multiply it.. but if I’m way off please let me know.

I won't be able to explain it well by typing it out. I'd suggest to keep watching youtube videos. It will click after you take some more time.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2021, 05:17:45 AM »
i'm leveraging up for a hostile takeover of krux truck

stratosphere

• Rep: 8
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2021, 07:07:41 AM »
Alexa, play "Arise!" by Amebix  8)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2021, 07:09:02 AM »
i'm leveraging up for a hostile takeover of krux truck

They would probably be so excited that someone was even acknowledging their existence they would just hand over the keys willingly.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

cky enthusiast

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2021, 07:19:10 AM »
Alexa, play "Arise!" by Amebix  8)

i saw them on that weird reunion tour they did in like 06, it was the worst smelling show in the world

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2021, 07:51:21 AM »
My cousin got me into Robinhood and told me about dogecoin... i didn’t think it was serious, but glad i bought some it just went insane
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

G raham

• Rep: -49
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2021, 07:56:01 AM »
Robinhood just blocked being able to buy gme n shit, this is getting insane. You are witnessing history people.
Well guys, there's nothing better than getting out there and skateboarding. - Shane O'Neill.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2021, 08:01:30 AM »
So bummed Robinhood isn’t available in Canada.  Every app I’ve found that I could’ve potentially bought GME with either has ridiculous waits for deposits or huge minimums.  It’s awesome that this is happening, just sucks to miss the boat.  Hopefully the billionaires don’t force government to blatantly rig the market in their favour, and prevent future GME-type movements to happen before I can get a slice.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2021, 08:04:46 AM »
So bummed Robinhood isn’t available in Canada.  Every app I’ve found that I could’ve potentially bought GME with either has ridiculous waits for deposits or huge minimums.  It’s awesome that this is happening, just sucks to miss the boat.  Hopefully the billionaires don’t force government to blatantly rig the market in their favour, and prevent future GME-type movements to happen before I can get a slice.

Robinhood as of this morning isn't letting anyone buy those stocks anymore

been following /r/wallstreetbets for months now and watching this unfold and blow up like it did was hilarious.  i didn't hop in but probably should've. im unemployed and have too much to lose in a possibly dicey investment movement.   there will certainly be a movie made about this

shitsandwich

• Rep: -53
« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2021, 08:14:36 AM »
I tried buy amc last night but Robinhood cancelled it. any suggestions on what I should do? I don't know shit about investing and I'm just not trying to miss out

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2021, 08:23:21 AM »
Robinhood just blocked being able to buy gme n shit, this is getting insane. You are witnessing history people.

There is definitely going to be a movie or doc about this. Most brokers are now preventing buying and only allowing selling. This is manipulation in itself to drive to price down. If retail can't buy, who's buying? The brokers and hedge funds?

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2021, 08:23:45 AM »
got the stash app last night and put down my life savings on blackberry and amc
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2021, 08:29:27 AM »
Boy, those guys sure are playing dirty today

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2021, 08:40:08 AM »
Those r/wallstreetbets guys are very entertaining. I’m sure there are other platforms you can use to invest in gme/amc/etc, but many, like interactive brokers, might have minimum spend limits.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2021, 08:46:30 AM »
Boy, those guys sure are playing dirty today

they are for sure. and they are very intentionally fucking a lot of people so they can make a statement and scare the common folk away from retail investing.  an effort to keep them with the MMs.   BUT its also kind of our damn fault for letting the spot blow up.  too many people found out about the spot and a lot of those people were more interested in partying than skating. turned it into a shit show.
its easy to say this in hindsight but as soon as 30 of my friends started texting me and asking me about stocks and options i should have known to run for the hills.

edit im so fucking angry i cant even type straight.  sorry
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:55:44 AM by tortfeasor »
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2021, 09:05:49 AM »
Was able to get some AMC and blackberry today. Ameritrade seems to be allowing buys for everything.

I was reading that Robinhood has some ties to the fund that was shorting GME, hence the attempt at market manipulation.

Next couple days should be interesting.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

doctorkickflip

• Rep: 44
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2021, 09:22:51 AM »
Was able to get some AMC and blackberry today. Ameritrade seems to be allowing buys for everything.

I was reading that Robinhood has some ties to the fund that was shorting GME, hence the attempt at market manipulation.

Next couple days should be interesting.

Bought AMC on cashapp knowing that it will likely evaporate in a few weeks. At this point all I want to do is fuck over the short sellers that are pressuring Robinhood into shutting down trading of GME. Only rich people are allowed to manipulate the markets I guess?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2021, 10:08:23 AM »

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1391
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2021, 10:09:13 AM »
Ameritrade is working for people who want to buy GME etc. Seeing as I spend a stupid amount of time on reddit and am familiar with all of this, have paid close attention to the BTC market, I'm really kicking myself for not having a bank account. I've got w couple buddies who are doing real well because of this rn. Good for them. Fuck wall street
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2021, 10:58:51 AM »
I know nothing of stocks but I go on reddit a ton and kept seeing all the news then I went on here and saw you guys talking about. Checked my checking account I’m pretty fucked but my savings is 3k+ so I just bought 1 stock of gme and 10 of amc. Any Pals have advice on what to do next? Would just like to have a few K in my checking is all while screwing the rich.

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2021, 11:08:00 AM »
Bought a bunch of Dogecoin as a joke two years ago and now today I’m up almost 400% which I find hilarious.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2021, 12:32:41 PM »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 659
« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2021, 01:10:01 PM »
Did you try Qtrade?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2021, 01:24:22 PM »

This motherfucker and his half-truth bootlicking bullshit. "I'm for the little guy, but please don't let the hedge funds lose money, because the hedge funds are really on the side of the little guy."

1) The percentage of workers in the private sector whose only retirement account is a defined benefit pension plan is now 4%. And only 14% of companies offer both 401K and pensions.

2) Private pension plans are at least partially insured by the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), a government agency established in 1974 by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). The goal of PBGC was to provide a retiree with uninterrupted pension payment's if their employer's pension fund went bankrupt.

3) Someone is going to have to tell me exactly what % of the money in the hedge funds who shorted GME is made up by pension money. Hedge funds raise their capital from a variety of sources, including high net worth individuals, corporations, foundations, endowments, and pension funds.

They are only open to "qualified" investors—individuals with an annual income that exceeds $200,000 for the past two years or a net worth exceeding $1 million, excluding their primary residence. As such, the Securities and Exchange Commission deems qualified investors suitable enough to handle the potential risks that come from a wider investment mandate.

I'm not saying GME isn't a worthless company, but Mikey's framing is bootlicking as usual.

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2021, 01:53:22 PM »
this fuckin dweeb is the braille of financial advice

BallDontLie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2021, 02:01:54 PM »
Was waiting for him to spew his bullshit...

Spent way more than i would’ve liked right before the market closed, but why not ride the trending wave.

SNDL is one I’m trying to get in on...
if the mods were wu-tang, dean would be cappadonna

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2021, 03:36:38 PM »
The trading halts have fucked anyone riding the irrational exuberance of the stock market. My 100 dollar BB bet went from zooming upwards to crashing as soon as this shit happened. It would have been nice to buy a used bike off craigslist if the shit would have just been allowed to ride the wave of idiocy/short squeezing the big companies for another week or so.

Un-fucking-believe-able. I like how it is a bubble when investors do it and it will eventually face a correction, but when a bunch of idiots on the internet pile on to some shit irrationally, it is unfair? Where the fuck was the self-regulation when the banks were packaging shit mortgages that were bound to fail into things that could be sold on the market in 2008?