Author Topic: Investing?  (Read 17108 times)

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: Investing?
« Reply #240 on: March 09, 2021, 02:14:28 PM »
Just heard about it the other day, and starting to read into it. I just don’t get it...it seems like scam. Maybe it’s over my head or something.

So I "own" this piece of art/video/image/song an artist created. But then you can view this same item online, just like me. Except I paid a few hundred dollars to be the owner. What am I paying for exactly? If it's a photo, maybe I get the hi-res file and I can print it and hang to my wall. But if it's something entirely digital, what's the point?

Is this just some way to make money off hype? Launder money/crypto?

I just don't think I get it...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:26:08 PM by sometimeperhaps »

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #241 on: March 10, 2021, 07:38:24 AM »
Bought a $199 pack of NBA Top Shot cards on Sunday. Yesterday I sold all the cards individually. Made over $500 profit. The prices definitely seem inflated, but I’m taking advantage of the moment. 

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #242 on: March 10, 2021, 08:54:12 AM »
I had to google what a Top shot was. Times have changed!!

I have, for god knows what reason, all these sealed mini basketball cards that came in bag of chips years ago - late 80's / early 90's. Why do I hold on to this crap...

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #243 on: March 10, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »
Bought a $199 pack of NBA Top Shot cards on Sunday. Yesterday I sold all the cards individually. Made over $500 profit. The prices definitely seem inflated, but I’m taking advantage of the moment.

100% my plan with all of this currently.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2021, 11:25:56 AM »
Who bought them from you? Just rich old dudes?

Also, fucking gme is at 231 again.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2021, 12:43:21 PM »
Watched all my money that I assumed as gone forever when I bought GME on the way down come right back up today, then go 30% above. Couldn't believe it. Then went on instagram for 10 minutes and when I came back it had all gone again.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

sbmfj

« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2021, 12:49:09 PM »
Roll the dice!!!

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2021, 01:01:04 PM »
I'm too much of a pussy to buy more but I'm holding out, let's see what happens
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2021, 01:07:36 PM »

I kept my prices low to make quick sales. So I'm guessing other flippers bought them. But I'm sure rich old dudes are in there. Lots of talk about the Chinese getting access soon and buying everything up. Apparently younger NBA players are obsessed with it too. The player's union gets a cut. So it's in their best interest to hype it up.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2021, 01:36:26 PM »
 One random morning almost 3 weeks ago, while paying for services on cash app, saw they now offered stocks and bitcoin services. On a whim, because of this thread, I bought 250$ in GME. Almost 5.5 shares. Around 45 each. The first stock I've ever purchased on my own. Gains now multiple hundreds %, and even with this afternoon, is good. I could care less.  I only expected to lose it all anyways, so any profit in the end is great. It'll all go towards my son's college in 14 year anyhow.  Trying to hold until a split at least.

Only other thing I do regularly is buy physical silver and gold. Small amounts, but with the run on silver recently, it took all the fun out of it.  Truthfully, I just want something tangible I'm my hand. And fiat paper money does not count. Creature of jeckyl island is a must read book.

Also finally refinanced to a 15 year 2.6% mortgage, from a 4.7% 30 year (still had 24 years to go). Monthly mortgage payment dropped 75$.  Now I should be completely debt free, own our own home in 5 years. I triple my principle every payment, and get 20 k in bonuses most years, that go straight to principle. Having been legitimately homeless/ junked out most of my 20s, and now sober for many years, just gotta to show how much money I waisted on straight junk.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2021, 02:04:11 PM »
One random morning almost 3 weeks ago, while paying for services on cash app, saw they now offered stocks and bitcoin services. On a whim, because of this thread, I bought 250$ in GME. Almost 5.5 shares. Around 45 each. The first stock I've ever purchased on my own. Gains now multiple hundreds %, and even with this afternoon, is good. I could care less.  I only expected to lose it all anyways, so any profit in the end is great. It'll all go towards my son's college in 14 year anyhow.  Trying to hold until a split at least.

Only other thing I do regularly is buy physical silver and gold. Small amounts, but with the run on silver recently, it took all the fun out of it.  Truthfully, I just want something tangible I'm my hand. And fiat paper money does not count. Creature of jeckyl island is a must read book.

Also finally refinanced to a 15 year 2.6% mortgage, from a 4.7% 30 year (still had 24 years to go). Monthly mortgage payment dropped 75$.  Now I should be completely debt free, own our own home in 5 years. I triple my principle every payment, and get 20 k in bonuses most years, that go straight to principle. Having been legitimately homeless/ junked out most of my 20s, and now sober for many years, just gotta to show how much money I waisted on straight junk.

GME isn't a $250+ stock right now because it's doing good as a company. If I was you, I'd cash that out soon while it's hot and then put the money in another stock for long term. I know you said you couldn't care less but why have your $250 grow to 2k just to let sit and go back to $250? Essentially throwing away a few thousand you got for free.

I don't know how the GME situation will play out but I'd suggest reading more about it and why it's a special case.

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2021, 02:06:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I kept my prices low to make quick sales. So I'm guessing other flippers bought them. But I'm sure rich old dudes are in there. Lots of talk about the Chinese getting access soon and buying everything up. Apparently younger NBA players are obsessed with it too. The player's union gets a cut. So it's in their best interest to hype it up.

Aaron Gordon, Andre Iggy and a few other players are investors in Top Shot. Def worth buying as much as you can before it gets too crazy.

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

GME isn't a $250+ stock right now because it's doing good as a company. If I was you, I'd cash that out soon while it's hot and then put the money in another stock for long term. I know you said you couldn't care less but why have your $250 grow to 2k just to let sit and go back to $250? Essentially throwing away a few thousand you got for free.

I don't know how the GME situation will play out but I'd suggest reading more about it and why it's a special case.

Forgot to mention I cashed out my 250 initial yesterday morning. I'm clear and even now no matter what. Also don't plan to keep GME past the very near future. But will keep any and all earning in whatever seems prudent at the time. Mostly a hobby that could possibly pay to me at this time.   But now I'm considering opening an actual day account somewhere. Definitely cashing the rest out if it goes over 500. Immediately

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2021, 03:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Forgot to mention I cashed out my 250 initial yesterday morning. I'm clear and even now no matter what. Also don't plan to keep GME past the very near future. But will keep any and all earning in whatever seems prudent at the time. Mostly a hobby that could possibly pay to me at this time.   But now I'm considering opening an actual day account somewhere. Definitely cashing the rest out if it goes over 500. Immediately

I used to do a lot of day trading but I find it much more stressful than taking a long term investment strategy. GME is definitely in the day trading spectrum of investing as I think very few people are buying it based of fundamentals. Anyone buying GME outside of the hype is doing so because they believe GME can make a massive turnaround to compete in the online gaming realm.

However, if you look at GME share prices and how the company is performing vs it's competitors - Amazon, Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc... - it's insanely overvalued. What's going on with GME right now is sort of an anomaly though but it's not going to just keep going up, eventually it will "even" out or tank to it's appropriate evaluation.

If you got in at a good price, then you should at least cash out to cover your initial investment, imho. That way you'll cover yourself so that the worst that could happen is if shares go to 0, you're just back where you started. This is also a general investment strategy in taking X in gains once shares have gained X percentage. Definitely will save you some stress.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2021, 07:37:31 AM »
Sold all my shady obscure penny stocks then bought 1 share of Costco & signed up dividends reinvestment. First smart move made after many poor moves

sbmfj

« Reply #255 on: March 11, 2021, 10:57:18 AM »
DRIPS all the way homie!

Check out ACWI if any of you are buy and hold. Its the MSCI All Country World Index - Basically the MSCI World index (whihc is all developed countries acorss NA Europe and Asia) with some Emerging mkts thrown in. Your pretty well covered with that. Buy and hold (and hope for the best)

and added this in after - gotta love China!!

"We have mentioned that the Chinese stock market has dropped in the past few weeks. Well, to help with the slump, the Chinese seem not to be able to access the words “stock market” on various social media platforms. Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter, showed no results on its web version on Wednesday.

This seems to have worked, as the market has been up for the past two days."

« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 12:08:37 PM by sbmfj »

sbmfj

« Reply #256 on: March 12, 2021, 10:52:40 AM »
DRIPS all the way homie!

Check out ACWI if any of you are buy and hold. Its the MSCI All Country World Index - Basically the MSCI World index (whihc is all developed countries acorss NA Europe and Asia) with some Emerging mkts thrown in. Your pretty well covered with that. Buy and hold (and hope for the best)

"We have mentioned that the Chinese stock market has dropped in the past few weeks. Well, to help with the slump, the Chinese seem not to be able to access the words “stock market” on various social media platforms. Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter, showed no results on its web version on Wednesday.

Heres another...Tesla's fault?

"I saw this and thought it was interesting. Over the past six months, SPY is up 16%, RSP, which is equal weight the S&P 500, is up 26% and RVRS, which is the S&P 500 in reverse, where the top holding in SPY is the lowest weight, is up 35%. RVRS also outperforms both over the past year."

sbmfj

« Reply #257 on: March 12, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »
Expand Quote
DRIPS all the way homie!

[close]

"I saw this and thought it was interesting. Over the past six months, SPY is up 16%, RSP, which is equal weight the S&P 500, is up 26% and RVRS, which is the S&P 500 in reverse, where the top holding in SPY is the lowest weight, is up 35%. RVRS also outperforms both over the past year."

Last one for Today - its about NFT's!! Liek WTF!!

The first virtual Non-Fungible Token (NFT) artwork to be sold at a major auction house closed at $69,346,250 during an online auction by Christie's on Thursday. The starting bid was $100.

"Everydays -- The First 5000 Days" is a collage comprised of 5,000 images taken over the course of 13 years by a digital artist named Beeple.

Makes me want to look a bit more closely at the pictures on my cellphone.

If you were wondering what NFTs are, they are cryptographic assets on blockchain with unique identification codes and metadata that distinguish them from each other. Unlike cryptocurrencies, they cannot be traded or exchanged at equivalency. This differs from fungible tokens like cryptocurrencies, which are identical to each other and, therefore, can be used as a medium for commercial transactions.

sbmfj

« Reply #258 on: March 12, 2021, 10:57:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
DRIPS all the way homie!

[close]

[close]

Last one for Today - its about NFT's!! Like WTF!!

The first virtual Non-Fungible Token (NFT) artwork to be sold at a major auction house closed at $69,346,250 during an online auction by Christie's on Thursday. The starting bid was $100.

"Everydays -- The First 5000 Days" is a collage comprised of 5,000 images taken over the course of 13 years by a digital artist named Beeple.

Makes me want to look a bit more closely at the pictures on my cellphone.

If you were wondering what NFTs are, they are cryptographic assets on blockchain with unique identification codes and metadata that distinguish them from each other. Unlike cryptocurrencies, they cannot be traded or exchanged at equivalency. This differs from fungible tokens like cryptocurrencies, which are identical to each other and, therefore, can be used as a medium for commercial transactions.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: March 18, 2021, 02:21:50 AM »
Call me flip flop , I'm a walking contradiction. Obsessed with the market now. Can't resist penny stocks. Changing ratios :  50% blue chips & 50 % penny stocks. In the future when mortgage plus family comes into play gonna change numbers to 70% blue chips, 30% penny stocks. 

For what it's worth , costco & Walmart stock good retirement plans if you keep buying shares. I'm gonna try to buy 1 share of Costco stock every 2 months. Costco here to stay, in 20 years probably less gonna be worth at least 1K a share 

And walmart proved they adapting & amazon can't replace them . Impressive how fast they perfected their online shipping

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: March 18, 2021, 02:29:21 AM »
As of right now , my ghetto ass portfolio consists of 1 share of Costco & whole bunch of penny stocks: HCMC, CLIS, METX,  VALPQ, TGIFF, HITIF, ABML, & AESE

wake and bacon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
« Reply #261 on: March 21, 2021, 12:16:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i've been selling unopened top shot packs on ebay and have been making a fucking killing. insane returns. it's been blowing my mind. i love the NBA and crypto and even the concept behind NFTs but damn, this shit is nuts
:) I must have been tripping last night

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: April 06, 2021, 07:19:34 PM »
This is a bit of a dumb question but - those who invest, what’s your out strategies? Like I invested a load in a bunch of alt coins and it’s all gone up pretty good, but I just don’t know when / whether to take my winnings. Torn between missing out on it going up more and worrying the whole market will tank. I can’t just leave it in there forever. How do you plan for what to do personally?

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2021, 12:02:20 AM »
I have to pay taxes on everything, so if I wanna recoup my initial investment then I need to account for taxes as well. say it was $100, then if it's a $200, I can't withdraw $100 and think I'm even, since I need to play taxes on that $100 I withdrew. long term, 10x is my goal and plan. Currently at 3x.

but I don't fuck with shitcoins.
take your gains before it tanks.
if you don't know why your coins are up, then take the gains.
if you don't know the project plan, take the gains.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2021, 01:06:22 AM »
I have to pay taxes on everything, so if I wanna recoup my initial investment then I need to account for taxes as well. say it was $100, then if it's a $200, I can't withdraw $100 and think I'm even, since I need to play taxes on that $100 I withdrew. long term, 10x is my goal and plan. Currently at 3x.

but I don't fuck with shitcoins.
take your gains before it tanks.
if you don't know why your coins are up, then take the gains.
if you don't know the project plan, take the gains.

Long term gains, at least in the US, is a pretty nice deal compared to the taxes you could be paying for it in other places. Once you've held an asset for a year you don't pay any taxes up to 40k, 80k if married and filing jointly, etc... I don't even think short term is so bad in the US compared other places - 10% up to 10k and maxes out at 37% once you're  cashing out 500k+ (if you're single). In Germany, for instance, you have to pay capital gains on everything each year even if you didn't sell anything - which makes no sense to me. I think it's a flat rate of 25% + solidarity charge.

Tons if shitcoins just like there's tons of shit companies. Definitely do your due diligence in researching what you're investing in. If it's a swing/day trade then be sure to have your entry/exits straight. Long term investing is much less stressful and easier to gauge, imho, but I'll do a day/swing trade every now and then. 

One strategy is to consistently cover your gains, depending on your investment plans and how you want to sort your taxes. In that if you invested 1k and the unrealized gain is at 3k, you should cash out 1k. It makes sense, but it's also one of those situations where if you believe the company is one to hold for 5-10 years then I don't know why you'd do it. I usually only do that if I want to take gains from one investment and invest them into something else - but then you'd be needing to pay taxes unless it's a long term hold under threshold. 

Shifty Flip

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: April 18, 2021, 11:13:49 AM »
The taxes thing is concerning to me. Before February my only investments were my mortgage, 401k, and physical silver/go lol d in a fire safe hidden.
Bought GameStop on cashapp on a whim, it mooned that week, I ended up buying more, all told gained 3k after recouping initial investment. Does cashapp report to gov? Opened a WeBull with the cash app gains, which I'm sure gets taxed, but there's no gains to tax there right now. Also opened a coinbase and kraken accounts. Up 300% on Doge mostly, bought Bitcoin and Cardano on the dip this morning. Put my Doge in a wallet at 11 cents. 
Anyways, I hate watching YouTube videos about coins, can anyone suggest books or websites that are legit?  Need to figure the taxes or before i put serious money into coins.
I make building products for housing market at my job. Everything is so out of wack, I'm pretty sure there's a housing crash soon. No one can get the raw materials to make anything, lumber is through the roof, and having refied my 30 yr mortgage to a 15, and my monthly payment DECREASED by 10%? Don't see how that is sustainable.  If I can't figure it out soon, I'll just buy lots more silver to bury I guess.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #266 on: April 18, 2021, 06:30:52 PM »
The taxes thing is concerning to me. Before February my only investments were my mortgage, 401k, and physical silver/go lol d in a fire safe hidden.
Bought GameStop on cashapp on a whim, it mooned that week, I ended up buying more, all told gained 3k after recouping initial investment. Does cashapp report to gov? Opened a WeBull with the cash app gains, which I'm sure gets taxed, but there's no gains to tax there right now. Also opened a coinbase and kraken accounts. Up 300% on Doge mostly, bought Bitcoin and Cardano on the dip this morning. Put my Doge in a wallet at 11 cents. 
Anyways, I hate watching YouTube videos about coins, can anyone suggest books or websites that are legit?  Need to figure the taxes or before i put serious money into coins.
I make building products for housing market at my job. Everything is so out of wack, I'm pretty sure there's a housing crash soon. No one can get the raw materials to make anything, lumber is through the roof, and having refied my 30 yr mortgage to a 15, and my monthly payment DECREASED by 10%? Don't see how that is sustainable.  If I can't figure it out soon, I'll just buy lots more silver to bury I guess.

you should anticipate getting taxed, even if theres an off chance you don't.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2021, 01:20:10 PM »
I bought 20 GME at 125. If it "moons" to 1K, 5K or even more it will be a lucky shot, if it tanks again I will lose 2K at most, which I can afford right now.  Those guys at Reddit who do insane amounts of research still have a lot of confidence in the short squeeze and think you can make millions off even a couple of shares. I dont think that's very realistic but it's also a once in a lifetime opportunity, and probably my only chance left to get some "fuck you" money.

I hate their ape, person, tendies, stonks etcetera lingo there and how they talk about that DFV guy (who is obviously very smart, no doubt) like a god, not even a half god or a heroe, a real god.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2021, 01:25:36 PM »
Just heard about it the other day, and starting to read into it. I just don’t get it...it seems like scam. Maybe it’s over my head or something.

So I "own" this piece of art/video/image/song an artist created. But then you can view this same item online, just like me. Except I paid a few hundred dollars to be the owner. What am I paying for exactly? If it's a photo, maybe I get the hi-res file and I can print it and hang to my wall. But if it's something entirely digital, what's the point?

Is this just some way to make money off hype? Launder money/crypto?

I just don't think I get it...

The point is to make a profit, to sell it in the future

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: April 20, 2021, 03:14:20 AM »
I bought 20 GME at 125. If it "moons" to 1K, 5K or even more it will be a lucky shot, if it tanks again I will lose 2K at most, which I can afford right now.  Those guys at Reddit who do insane amounts of research still have a lot of confidence in the short squeeze and think you can make millions off even a couple of shares. I dont think that's very realistic but it's also a once in a lifetime opportunity, and probably my only chance left to get some "fuck you" money.

I hate their ape, person, tendies, stonks etcetera lingo there and how they talk about that DFV guy (who is obviously very smart, no doubt) like a god, not even a half god or a heroe, a real god.

I've got a few GME as well but I'm starting to think it will never happen. Everyone on Reddit was talking in the exact same manner last time it went up, about how it will continue to rise to 1,2,10k and it's going to change the world forever. Then it tanked overnight and suddenly the narrative completely changed instantly with the same people all "what, you didn't actually believe that the stock was going to keep going up, did you? I only invested half my life savings because I enjoy losing obscene amounts of money. You were stupid to take us seriously". I don't think they're as knowledgeable about it as it comes across, although obviously they know more than me.

I've stopped caring about it and if it happens it happens. It's what got me into investing so I look at it like if I can make my money back I lost on that I'll be all square.

To be fair to DVF he did change a lot of people's lives. But yeah the whole in joke of Reddit investors is really embarrassing.